WC 2022

Bazzas right boot

Saint Jambo

Do people really think that domestic leagues will continue in competition to the world cup? I imagine broadcasters will quash that pretty quickly as they aren't going to want to be showing world cup matches and domestic matches in competition. Even if they didn't, I can't see clubs being massively keen on the lower attendances they'd undoubtedly see during that period.

What you do about a period for international squads to prepare, train and play friendlies ahead of the tournament? I can't see European leagues being keen on closing down for a month before the tournament.

Just means an earlier and longer winter break that's all.

Folk are always on about summer football so now they will get it.

Might turn out to be a good thing.

MacDonald Jardine
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

That's what i've just said, mate. Read my post again.

Say we don't qualify......how many players playing in Scotland were at the WC this year ? Two ?

So you did.

I think the only way it would affect Scotland is if either we actually qualified (unlikely) or we had to rearrange games to avoid a clash (even less likely).

I'll try and read posts before replying. 

9 minutes ago, Boab said:

That's what i've just said, mate. Read my post again.

Say we don't qualify......how many players playing in Scotland were at the WC this year ? Two ?

7 players were based in scotland last season

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

Do people really think that domestic leagues will continue in competition to the world cup? I imagine broadcasters will quash that pretty quickly as they aren't going to want to be showing world cup matches and domestic matches in competition. Even if they didn't, I can't see clubs being massively keen on the lower attendances they'd undoubtedly see during that period.

What you do about a period for international squads to prepare, train and play friendlies ahead of the tournament? I can't see European leagues being keen on closing down for a month before the tournament.

I don't think a clash will be a problem. 

It'll probably a case of watching a WC game before going to our game.

Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

So you did.

I think the only way it would affect Scotland is if either we actually qualified (unlikely) or we had to rearrange games to avoid a clash (even less likely).

I'll try and read posts before replying. 

No worries, bud.

Sure, there will be disruption to clubs in a lot of leagues but why should there be disruption ?

Three weeks of juggling your team about ? Good, I say. 

If the money-laden teams complain ? Boo hoo....suck it up !

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

7 players were based in scotland last season

More than I thought but, as PJ1 has already alluded to, no big difference than an African Nations Cup.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

More than I thought but, as PJ1 has already alluded to, no big difference than an African Nations Cup.

epl had 129 players, which is around 17% of all players at the world cup

edit, that also includes 24 players who play in teams below the top flight

Edited by milky_26

MacDonald Jardine
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

No worries, bud.

Sure, there will be disruption to clubs in a lot of leagues but why should there be disruption ?

Three weeks of juggling your team about ? Good, I say. 

If the money-laden teams complain ? Boo hoo....suck it up !

Indeed!

Just now, milky_26 said:

epl had 129 players, which is around 17% of all players at the world cup

My heart bleeds for them.

Poor souls !

Give their squad players a chance !

Three weeks....i'm sure they'd survive. 

Money will drive any decision though.....quelle surprise !

Just now, Boab said:

My heart bleeds for them.

Poor souls !

Give their squad players a chance !

Three weeks....i'm sure they'd survive. 

Money will drive any decision though.....quelle surprise !

man city had the most players there with 16 players

Celtic will dictate what happens in Scotland, as they'll claim to be the club most affected by the WC (which will be true TBF)

Looks like a good opportunity to trial the much talked about summer football - however I don't think it will ever come around whilst the majority of leagues are Aug -May with big summer international tournaments every 2 years.

How hot is Qatar in Nov? Will it be snail-paced football? Will players have camel-packs built into their shirts and sunhats on?

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Will players have camel-packs built into their shirts and sunhats on?

One thing’s for sure, Jordan Henderson will definitely still be humping aimless long balls to no-one in particular.

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Celtic will dictate what happens in Scotland, as they'll claim to be the club most affected by the WC (which will be true TBF)

Looks like a good opportunity to trial the much talked about summer football - however I don't think it will ever come around whilst the majority of leagues are Aug -May with big summer international tournaments every 2 years.

How hot is Qatar in Nov? Will it be snail-paced football? Will players have camel-packs built into their shirts and sunhats on?

No so sure, if Northern Ireland qualify the way we're going we'll lose a whole team!

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

No hotter than Russia was for this world cup, maybe a bit cooler

Saint Jambo
12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Between 20C and 30C so not especially hot for players from large parts of the world. Humidity drops significantly in November through to December as well which is probably as important.

18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

man city had the most players there with 16 players

A sweet irony then that the richest clubs will be the most affected.

They've made their bed......lie in it !

Bazzas right boot

If Scotland somehow qualified and the league start wasn't changed, Celtic would have a problem. 

The thing is, if it came to club v country, in most cases I think the clubs would win, could devalue the WC if the top players choose to stay at the clubs and play. 

William H. Bonney
7 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If Scotland somehow qualified and the league start wasn't changed, Celtic would have a problem. 

The thing is, if it came to club v country, in most cases I think the clubs would win, could devalue the WC if the top players choose to stay at the clubs and play. 

It's the world cup. No chance players will chose club over country. 

JamboGraham

From season 19/20 the (winter) European leagues bring their season start and end forward by one week per year. In 2022 this gives the season an early July start. Play final domestic matches last weekend of October. All of November and December is given over to the Int. Warm ups/World Cup. Restart domestic football first weekend in January and end season back on traditional late May date. The calendar would then be back to normal. Hardest call would be for UEFA CL/EL groups. Squeeze in before end of October, split them pre and post WC or squeeze full tournament in Jan to late May.

JamboGraham

Summer European leagues will not really be affected by the change. In fact probably better for them as they will end their seasons before the World Cup starts. Sweden had a full domestic card last Saturday when their national side were playing England.

Lots of shocks in store:

Islamic laws will be ahem forgotten about for a month. Money will win the day.

Scotland will not qualify.

No African team will fulfil its potential.

England will sing ICH

European teams will dominate and eventually win it.

Actually, there will be no shocks.

Edited by i8hibsh

Stephen Muddie
5 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Confirmed to be in Winter, November/ December.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are totally on tomorrow and what to eat for each meal of the day.

2022... It's a long time to wait for dinner. Scotland won't qualify, even if the main course is total mince

Changing the time of the year is ridiculous, but it is even more scandalous changing the format to 48 teams. This current World Cup could be the last good one we see.

7 hours ago, luckydug said:

Just means an earlier and longer winter break that's all.

Folk are always on about summer football so now they will get it.

Might turn out to be a good thing.

Summer football, March to November. 

:yas:

July SC final. 

Guest Paul Allen

I don’t mind. It’s just one tournament. Something different. If you don’t allow a change to Winter then you’re basically saying a whole region of the world can never host the World Cup (which isn’t fair). Let them have a chance as anyone who’s ever been the Qatar will know how eye-opening the place is. My only gripe is the voting for Qatar 2022 was done on a summer World Cup so it shows how that process was a bit of a farce from a corrupt Blatter and co.

slashishere

Is it more that it would effect three (maybe four) seasons than one, if it was March to November. 

For example  the season prior would need to end in January/Feb.

The following season after, would we revert to traditional times? thus having a 8 month break in domestic football?

8 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

At least the men's Wimbledon final is safe from a reschedule...... 

No contest tomorrow, but if it was WC v It's a wonderful life. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

It's the world cup. No chance players will chose club over country. 

We'll see. 

It's in Quatar, league season in full swing. 

Clubs have the contracts and wages, Man City had 16 players away, that would be the league lost if they all went and City were still playing, massive money lost to the players, even missing out on win bonuses per game, never mind being emptied out a cup as well. 

Same applies to Barca, Munich etc, all the big clubs. 

Something will need to change, massive clash and club teams won't allow their players who they have under contract and pay to leave for 4/5 weeks possibly blowing the whole seasons ambition. 

The league season will be halted or something. 

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Lots of shocks in store:

Islamic laws will be ahem forgotten about for a month. Money will win the day.

Scotland will not qualify.

No African team will fulfil its potential.

England will sing ICH

European teams will dominate and eventually win it.

Actually, there will be no shocks.

It's the world cup we really don't want to qualify for taking into account how far away it is and how much it will cost to get there  but yet being typically Scottish it'll be the one we do qualify for 

We have had nearly 20 years to save for it mind you 

I'll be going regardless of where it is its a bucket list job

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No contest tomorrow, but if it was WC v It's a wonderful life. 

Looking forward to watching National Lampoons again.

Especially Jordan Henderson.

:leveinproblem:

14 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Looking forward to watching National Lampoons again.

Especially Jordan Henderson.

:leveinproblem:

:rofl:

Listen, we better stop ripping England, we won't want to upset anyone. 

:Aye:

JamboGraham
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

We'll see. 

It's in Quatar, league season in full swing. 

Clubs have the contracts and wages, Man City had 16 players away, that would be the league lost if they all went and City were still playing, massive money lost to the players, even missing out on win bonuses per game, never mind being emptied out a cup as well. 

Same applies to Barca, Munich etc, all the big clubs. 

Something will need to change, massive clash and club teams won't allow their players who they have under contract and pay to leave for 4/5 weeks possibly blowing the whole seasons ambition. 

The league season will be halted or something. 

It could be fairly simple to get round...of course this would require some planning and thought from UEFA and the winter European leagues...i posted this overnight but probably got lost...disruption could be minimal.

From season 19/20 the (winter) European leagues bring their season start and end forward by one week per year. In 2022 this gives the season an early July start. Play final domestic matches last weekend of October. All of November and December is given over to the Int. Warm ups/World Cup. Restart domestic football first weekend in January and end season back on traditional late May date. The calendar would then be back to normal. Hardest call would be for UEFA CL/EL groups. Squeeze in before end of October, split them pre and post WC or squeeze full tournament in Jan to late May.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

It could be fairly simple to get round...of course this would require some planning and thought from UEFA and the winter European leagues...i posted this overnight but probably got lost...disruption could be minimal.

Would make sense. 

But tbh, the most sensible thing would have been to play it somewhere where you could actually have played it normally without the risk of death

2 hours ago, slashishere said:

Is it more that it would effect three (maybe four) seasons than one, if it was March to November. 

For example  the season prior would need to end in January/Feb.

The following season after, would we revert to traditional times? thus having a 8 month break in domestic football?

I was thinking along the same lines.

Maroon Sailor

Hearing Christmas songs at the World Cup will be strange

Lager Louts need not apply for this tournament either

42 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Simples 

Escobar PHM
11 hours ago, Boab said:

The ANC has been moved to summer from 2019 onwards for the very same reason that European clubs didn't and still dont want a winter world cup.(loss of key players for 6-8 weeks)

The big European countries should withdraw from this ridiculous farce. However I imagine the key players at the big FA's across Europe (England included) have been 'looked after'

Edited by Escobar PHM

2 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Too good a plan for it to happen.