ri Alban

1000 years ago King Malky 2 with the help of The Strathclyders and Galwegians, telt the land of the English. 

:getout:

This is Scotland. 

21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

King Malky 2 sounds like the sequel to a Glasgow gangster movie.

:robbo:

Did he no’ have an ice-cream van?

34 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

King Malky 2 sounds like the sequel to a Glasgow gangster movie.

It would be a cracking double bill if they should that and 'Full Metal Jakey'. The weedgies would love that. 

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:robbo:

Did he no’ have an ice-cream van?

Ice cream wars!  Only the weedgies!  Irvine welsh said that if you took their knives of them and taught them some personal hygiene, they would make excellent pets! 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

1000 years ago King Malky 2 with the help of The Strathclyders and Galwegians, telt the land of the English. 

This is Scotland. 

And you laugh at the Rangers fans banging on about battles from years ago.

:jj_facepalm:

29 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

And you laugh at the Rangers fans banging on about battles from years ago.

:jj_facepalm:

Thought it deserved a mention not it's own annual march through Berwick. 

Restonbabe

Your knowledge of history is nonsence.

Berwick upon tweed has never been Scottish.

The castle changed hands but Berwick has been independent throughout.

Scotland invaded first.

Held on for about 800 odd years. 

The end game came when scotland was flat broke. We came up the idea of the union. 

The rest as they say is history.

We only wanted access to the port of Berwick as it was more convenient to transport goods from there rather than cart it up to edinburgh from Roxburgh     (now Kelso) 

We invaded and took over becsuse the rates to use the port went up after the Earl of Lancaster fell out with King Edward over Piers Gaveston's death        ( 1st Earl of Cornwall) 

The whole saga has an amazing back story if you cared to know your history or portray what you are talking about.

AlimOzturk

Nats like the OP and several others in the same ilk on Kickback and Facebook are embarrassing. I am an indpendence supporter but they do the cause no good. Actually off putting in so many ways. 

Do us all a favour and weeshed  Sensible adults can't differentiate between the independence debate and not having to hate England at the same time. 

Glorifiying battles in which innocent men on both sides died all over a border dispute. 

Fwiw the English have a far better claim to Berwick than we do. We invaded first

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Your knowledge of history is nonsence.

Berwick upon tweed has never been Scottish.

The castle changed hands but Berwick has been independent throughout.

Scotland invaded first.

Held on for about 800 odd years. 

The end game came when scotland was flat broke. We came up the idea of the union. 

The rest as they say is history.

We only wanted access to the port of Berwick as it was more convenient to transport goods from there rather than cart it up to edinburgh from Roxburgh     (now Kelso) 

We invaded and took over becsuse the rates to use the port went up after the Earl of Lancaster fell out with King Edward over Piers Gaveston's death        ( 1st Earl of Cornwall) 

The whole saga has an amazing back story if you cared to know your history or portray what you are talking about.

What are you talking about, I didn’t mention Berwick-upon-Tweed. This is the battle of Carham on tweed. 1018.  The Earl of Lancaster was 200 years later. Just a mention for a defining moment in Scottish history. Oh but hey we're no allowed to talk about. 

Arnold Rothstein
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What are you talking about, I didn’t mention Berwick-upon-Tweed. This is the battle of Carham on tweed. 1018.  The Earl of Lancaster was 200 years later. Just a mention for a defining moment in Scottish history. Oh but hey we're no allowed to talk about. 

Oppressed. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold Rothstein said:

Oppressed. 

Have you heard of the battle of Hastings? 

Arnold Rothstein
Just now, ri Alban said:

Have you heard of the battle of Hastings? 

No. I was too busy learning about British (English) history at school. Bloody oppression. 

Just now, Arnold Rothstein said:

No. I was too busy learning about British (English) history at school. Bloody oppression. 

Not oppression, programming. 

Arnold Rothstein
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Not oppression, programming. 

I feel oppressed though aussie. What do we do?

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nats like the OP and several others in the same ilk on Kickback and Facebook are embarrassing. I am an indpendence supporter but they do the cause no good. Actually off putting in so many ways. 

Do us all a favour and weeshed  Sensible adults can't differentiate between the independence debate and not having to hate England at the same time. 

Glorifiying battles in which innocent men on both sides died all over a border dispute. 

Fwiw the English have a far better claim to Berwick than we do. We invaded first

Well said.  Their tattie scone flavoured history does their cause no good at all. The English never invaded and have taken over ever since. The union was our doing/fault. 

Restonbabe
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

So the battle of Coldstream then.

Which gave Lothian the name. 

carham is in England and was a Borough of Roxburgh. 

No one here classes ourself as English or Scottish we are northurmbian and continue to be so first before being classes as English or Scottish. 

You claiming that Scotland won a heat. Bravo

Its the final battle that counts.

Scotland is part of the English empire. 

(admit edit) you wanna celebrate a victory over 1,000 years ago. (p.s it happened in 1016 not 1018) but you believe the history books. 

The river tweed from floors castle to Berwick has always been the official border between Scotland and England. 

The lines were redefined in the act of union. Scotland lost. Have done for the past 400 odd year 

Cruyff Turn

Was England even a United Country 1000 years ago? 

I thought it was still different Kingdoms ,Wessex, Mercia, Northumberland etc... Up until around 1050 AD.

Restonbabe
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

I thought it was still different Kingdoms ,Wessex, Mercia, Northumberland etc... Up until around 1050 AD.

Correct. 

Scotland was made up of kingdoms. It was us who allowed England to break it up and set up county lines. Strathclyde, Lothian, Highlands/ lowlands ect. 

Clans had to sign peace treaties before the union could be signed. 

6 people. SIX individuals own 90% of scotlands land. 

Opressed.......... 

Restonbabe
3 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Correct. 

Scotland was made up of kingdoms. It was us who allowed England to break it up and set up county lines. Strathclyde, Lothian, Highlands/ lowlands ect. 

Opressed.......... 

Because of land reforms within the past 3 years 432 people now own the entire sqft land of Scotland. 

Had to do some research as the large estates were broken up in 2014. 

Cruyff Turn
7 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Correct. 

Opressed.......... 

Yeah thought so. The Kingdom of England was the South East, pretty sure York was a separate Kingdom because the was Viking Land, Northumberland was the original home of the Britons which would have been up to Haddington area. Scotland's Kingdom was sort of Stirling to the Highlands and Strathclyde was their own bit. 

Although the Kingdom of Scotland was United before the Kingdom of England. 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

:spoton:

Refreshing post.  

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This pretty much sums up my view, the historical revisionism is quite something.

John Findlay
12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This is Scotland. 

Did he not fall of his horse at Kinghorn and die from the fall,

John Findlay
6 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I think a Frenchman  united England.

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This is Scotland. 

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Did he not fall of his horse at Kinghorn and die from the fall,

King Alexander lll died in a fall from his horse while riding in the dark to visit the queen at Kinghorn in Fife on 18 March 1286. Monument between Burntisland and Kinghorn. 

Alexander .jpg

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

King Alexander lll died in a fall from his horse while riding in the dark to visit the queen at Kinghorn in Fife on 18 March 1286. Monument between Burntisland and Kinghorn. 

Alexander .jpg

Thanks. I thought it was a king Malcolm.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I think a Frenchman  united England.

A french speaking Viking.

The White Cockade
7 hours ago, Elmore said:

Well said.  Their tattie scone flavoured history does their cause no good at all. The English never invaded and have taken over ever since. The union was our doing/fault. 

The English never invaded what?

12 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

The English never invaded what?

I meant in relation to the birth of the Union.  The union came about because we were skint.  Before that the both of us invaded each other countless times. 

The White Cockade
54 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I meant in relation to the birth of the Union.  The union came about because we were skint.  Before that the both of us invaded each other countless times. 

Ok got you 

Just now, The White Cockade said:

Ok got you 

Not saying they've been angels after the union. I suppose not giving us access to the East India Tea Company was the what led to us becoming skint. It was our mistake that led to the union. The national monument is known as 'Edinburgh's disgrace'. It should be known as Edinburgh's monument and Scotland's disgrace. Was what went on with Darien our own doing?  Genuine question. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Elmore said:

Not saying they've been angels after the union. I suppose not giving us access to the East India Tea Company was the what led to us becoming skint. It was our mistake that led to the union. The national monument is known as 'Edinburgh's disgrace'. It should be known as Edinburgh's monument and Scotland's disgrace. Was what went on with Darien our own doing?  Genuine question. 

It was yeah but because of the alien act where Scotland wasn’t permitted to trade we had little choice. England ensured its failure and Scotland wasn’t skint after it but it was a lot of money for a country our size. We nearly joined a union with the Dutch before joining with England. What might’ve been there...

Google it there’s tonnes of stuff online about it. 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, let's all argue over some shite that happened in 1018.

:sadrobbo:

Good idea.

32 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It was yeah but because of the alien act where Scotland wasn’t permitted to trade we had little choice. England ensured its failure and Scotland wasn’t skint after it but it was a lot of money for a country our size. We nearly joined a union with the Dutch before joining with England. What might’ve been there...

Thanks. Never knew about the alien act. I'll look that up. 

On 09/07/2018 at 09:13, ri Alban said:

This is Scotland. 

After reading this thread I googled king Malcolm 2. I now know where your name comes from, your highness.

The White Cockade
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

England made sure Darien was a failure by refusing to help because they didn’t want Scotland infringing by on their overseas money  making and then took advantage of our vulnerability after that to draft the Union which they saw as taking over Scotland  bloodlessly after hundreds of years of fighting to do it

a few Scottish nobles bought and sold for English gold and it was all over 

The Scottish Parliament closed down and the English one carried on basically unchanged

it was never meant to be a Union of equals just basically an English takeover due to our weakness at the time

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, let's all argue over some shite that happened in 1018.

Do you not find some of the posts on here very interesting.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
37 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Do you not find some of the posts on here very interesting.

Not really