The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Hull Hell & Hearts
9 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

I think Southgate will be embarrassed, apparently HMG wanted some sort of welcoming home ceremony and the FA politely declined

Southgate has stated several times that the only time any sort of homecoming parade / official reception etc., would be justified would be if his team had won the World Cup. He has also admitted that his team remains some way off the level they want to be at and, whilst finishing 4th in the World Cup is seen as an excellent achievement, they can by no means be considered the fourth best team in the world. He continues to increase his own personal standing with virtually every sentence he utters! Tactically he still has some way to go (as shown against Croatia second half and in the later stages of the game against Colombia) but how good it is as an England fan to once again have a manager who seems to "get it". That's why people are perhaps getting carried away - it's a long time since we felt this good about our national team.

That said, I'm not one of those now predicting World domination although as someone who felt that the semi-final defeats at Italia 90 and Euro 96 were the end of something, this does feel more like a beginning. The English FA do appear to have bought into Southgate's vision. Whether success follows will soon be shown (Spain & Croatia in the Nations League is tricky, followed by a Euro 2020 campaign that might, just might, see England get group games at Wembley where the semis and final are also set to be staged). That would be as near as damn it to having the full competition on home soil - now watch us crash out in the qualifiers! The other telling factor will be how many of these younger players get a go at their clubs in the EPL or even possibly decide to give it a go in the top leagues abroad? Only time will tell...

Finally, I agree with Brighton Jambo that the banter on here (& social media) over the past few weeks has been excellent, as it has been for me at work and among the Scots friends I have down here. But, like him, I now feel it's time to draw a line under it all and look forward to the new domestic campaign. Hopefully, that will include a trip or two north for me and my fellow Hull Hearts fans over the course of the next nine months.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

9 hours ago, Cade said:

Trippier's also being given the freedom of Bury

:cornette: 

Does that include the right to stay well away from Bury?

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Looking forward though we can get behind this. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/world-cup-2030-england-uk-host-bid-britain-government-theresa-may-latest-a8449991.html

England 2030 and another No 1 for that song. 

But will it be a soft World Cup or a hard one? 

Maybe no World Cup at all?

The news that the government was backing the bid was changed to "perhaps" when it was discovered that women weren't going to be allowed to play in the tournament.

A short while later the Prime Minister said we still have an agreement  to back the tournament,

"But," she said, "As I'm the only one agreeing with me, we may have to take a harder, or a softer approach, or no approach at all and, the issue of teams sharing toilets could be crucial."

The Cabinet Minister for What'suppery resigned pleading the headaches!!!

Bridge of Djoum
On 7/12/2018 at 11:29, Deviskan said:

Oh but you doth protest too much I'm afraid...you attempted to belittle me, by claiming I was the teaboy in the office.

Which, as I said previously...is amusing.

Anyway...toodlepip...have a nice evening.

Do offices still have teaboys?

Also, isn't a t-boy another term for....

I'll leave it there I think.

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Cade said:

Trippier's also being given the freedom of Bury

:cornette: 

What does that even mean nowadays? 

Can he just cut about town-breaking into shops, not pay for drinks and shag anyone he wants without anything happen  to him? 

22 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

What does that even mean nowadays? 

Can he just cut about town-breaking into shops, not pay for drinks and shag anyone he wants without anything happen  to him? 

So....they all have that in Bury then.....?