VAR

viva hate

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Probably. And I agree with the idea. I'm just saying some footballers might try and downplay it because they don't want to go off.

That's true and I'm sure I've seen it with rugby players trying to refuse a HIA when it's been clear that they're disorientated. However, it's something the ref could have a say on and for which the club would have a responsibility. 

If you look at it, though, the number of genuine head injuries pales into insignificance against the amount of faking. I reckon it wouldn't be a significant problem. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Jammy T

• hughesie27

• Phil Dunphy

The challenge when this World Cup is over that when there is no VAR, the players that can't simulate in the box, when there is VAR, will continue to do so on the very high chance of getting a penalty awarded, that can't be rescinded.

And offensive players, will grapple less in the box, chuck themselves to the ground under minimal to zero contact from defenders and claim for penalties arguing that VAR during the World Cup showed refs should be awarding more penalties.

VAR is helping refs to crack down on defenders holding in the box (Harry Kane's aside).  No wonder Southgate left Smalling at home.  Smalling is about the worst defender I have seen for grabbing.

Bazzas right boot
On 25/06/2018 at 23:16, Cruyff Turn said:

They need to sort this out. Perhaps take another leaf from egg chuckings book and start moving the ball forward 5 yards or something or simply bring in rule where only the captain can speak to the ref and any player pressuring the ref, nipping the ref can be sin binned for 5 minutes.

Captain's only. 

Book the player. 

Mayhem would ensue of course. 

Do that in the first round of fixtures and it would be sorted by the following week. 

18 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Imagine Celtic scoring an offside goal and their fans giving it big licks, then VAR is checked and it's chopped off. Would love it. 

What makes you think that Video Assistant Referees will be any less biased than normal refs?

15 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

What makes you think that Video Assistant Referees will be any less biased than normal refs?

It will be easier to hold them accountable. They won't be able to continually get away with blatantly wrong decisions and brush if off as human error in the spur of the moment.

colinmaroon
Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

VAR has added to the drama of the whole tournament. I love it. 

Whole heartedly agree.

S Korea decision proof positive it's a good thing.

Even the fiasco of the Portugal game added value.  Ronaldo's face as he waited to see if he was getting a red!

6 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Whole heartedly agree.

S Korea decision proof positive it's a good thing.

Even the fiasco of the Portugal game added value.  Ronaldo's face as he waited to see if he was getting a red!

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's the lack of consistency - no penalties awarded in England;s first game despite the evidence (that didn't even need VAR to be seen) and the disgraceful decision last night that went against Nigeria. It was supposed to get rid of controversy not create it.  

It’s definitely for the betterment of football.  

Like the passback rule all they years ago when people claimed it was spoiling traditional football in 4 years time it will be part of every day footballing life - except in Scotland. 

23 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's the lack of consistency - no penalties awarded in England;s first game despite the evidence (that didn't even need VAR to be seen) and the disgraceful decision last night that went against Nigeria. It was supposed to get rid of controversy not create it.  

Nothing is perfect the first time you run it

Yes, some things have been missed, but a number of penalties and goals have been awarded that wouldn’t have been in previous tournaments.

There hasn’t been 100% justice but there has been more justice than at any other tournament before.

I can’t get my head around anyone that rejects its validity or value.

37 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Nothing is perfect the first time you run it

Yes, some things have been missed, but a number of penalties and goals have been awarded that wouldn’t have been in previous tournaments.

There hasn’t been 100% justice but there has been more justice than at any other tournament before.

I can’t get my head around anyone that rejects its validity or value.

I never said any such thing. 

I'm for it, it's the poor outcomes (and in the first England game, the fact that it wasn't even applied). This isn't about the technology it's about the people applying it. 

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This isn't about the technology it's about the people applying it. 

Or not as in the Serbia / Switzerland match, when Mitro was the jam in a Swiss roll

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

It will be easier to hold them accountable. They won't be able to continually get away with blatantly wrong decisions and brush if off as human error in the spur of the moment.

Of course, it will only be used in televised games so that will suit the armchair fans but frustrate the ones at the game who will not know why a decision has been made.

2 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Of course, it will only be used in televised games so that will suit the armchair fans but frustrate the ones at the game who will not know why a decision has been made.

Is that not the same with a dodgy penalty or a goal not given anyway?  This way there will be less of a rage at the game we’ve been robbed if VAR is there. 

20 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Fans at the game will know the decision was made because it was supported by video evidence.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I never said any such thing. 

I'm for it, it's the poor outcomes (and in the first England game, the fact that it wasn't even applied). This isn't about the technology it's about the people applying it. 

No wasnt aimed at you. I know I quoted you 

Geoff Kilpatrick
26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Fans at the game will know the decision was made because it was supported by video evidence.

Hmmm. Given that there are plenty of subjective decisions even with VAR, I doubt fans will be accepting. Either way, it makes TV viewing as opposed to attendance more attractive. No wonder JammyT is in favour of it.

31 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hmmm. Given that there are plenty of subjective decisions even with VAR, I doubt fans will be accepting. Either way, it makes TV viewing as opposed to attendance more attractive. No wonder JammyT is in favour of it.

Sorry mate I didn’t realise you were physically attending every game at the World Cup.

Thats a good ****ing effort.

Not sure why you need to make your point a personal one. 

Its like a sign you know you are ****ed on the arguments and have gone ball deep on playing the man not the ball.

Well done. Classic fail. As per....

colinmaroon
On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:43, NANOJAMBO said:

But its not VAR that's to blame.  Its human agency and until the machines take over the world it'll aye be the same.

On balance it has sorted more problems than it's caused.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
23 hours ago, Des' Dad said:

Why would it only be used in televised games? Surely it has to be every game or not at all?

grumpyespana

Was watching the penalty shoot out tonight which Croatia won, the five penalties that were saved should have been retaken as both keepers moved off there line a fraction before the opposition penalty taker had made contact with the ball I always thought they had to stay on there line so my question is why did they not use VAR rant over.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

Was watching the penalty shoot out tonight which Croatia won, the five penalties that were saved should have been retaken as both keepers moved off there line a fraction before the opposition penalty taker had made contact with the ball I always thought they had to stay on there line so my question is why did they not use VAR rant over.

5his needs clamped down on, far too many keepers yards of their line. 

I think it will be, tho in the future. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, grumpyespana said:

Was there not a case of an Irish keeper in a teenage match who was not only pulled up for moving off his line,  but was red-carded as well?

Was at Toronto v NY Red Bulls today and a penalty was given using VAR. Have to say it added something to the match experience waiting for the decision and the crowd went nuts when it was given. Interestingly despite having a big screen in the stadium they didn't show the incident, just waited on the officials deciding. I like it and it adds a new dimension to the game while also being more accurate. Be intrigued to see how it would work at Parkhead or Ibrox. 

8 hours ago, grumpyespana said:

Another thing that seriously gets my goat is keepers continually delaying the penalty whether it was Schmeichel in game time or Subasic during the shoot out by standing in front of the ball.

Let it be like free kicks, if the keeper is fannying around off his line, the penalty taker can ask to take the penalty, with the risk that if he misses, it doesn't get retake.

Kidding, sort of.

Edited by DETTY29

Keepers were moving off their lines.

Penalty takers were also stopping their run-ups before striking the ball.

Both things mean that the pen should have been re-taken, but the refs just let them go.

JamboGraham
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Both things mean that the pen should have been re-taken, but the refs just let them go.

For a decent strike the ball travels at 80mph and reaches the goal line in 0.3 seconds...so....

Keepers should be able to do what they like with the only rule being that they can't leave the six yard box or step behind the goal line (i.e. off the pitch).

Takers should also be able to do what they like, stop, start, cartwheel, etc.

Sometimes it is incredibly obvious that a keeper has moved early but without a VAR check on every kick I would argue it is nearly impossible for the officials to get it right. No official can watch both the taker, ball and keeper at the same time.

It is an unenforceable rule so should be scrapped.

Phil Dunphy
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Let them pause in their run ups, it’ll hopefully make them realise it makes it vastly more likely that they’ll miss. 

If I was Danish, I’d be absolutely furious that Jorgensen took a penalty like that. 

On 6/28/2018 at 19:38, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Why would it only be used in televised games? Surely it has to be every game or not at all?

Only televised games have sufficient numbers of cameras for VAR.