Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place

jumpship

5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Ach, it's just Ann. Owners mould football clubs in their own image. In her case, it's about:

- Building a self-sustaining club which funds itself and never again makes the blunders of the past

- Commercial reach: attendances and season ticket sales are a testament to that

- Paying the living wage and Save the Children sponsorship (under the previous regime, we didn't pay players on time and were sponsored by Wonga. Wonga FFS)

- Regular communication with the fans: the exact opposite of her predecessor

- Trying to create a wholesome, family image - because like it or not, that's what increases gates in today's football

- And yes, this too. Because she sees it as part of her idea of professionalism.

She's warm, open, friendly, approachable - and she's trying to create a club which has those values at its core. I entirely understand why this rubs so many up the wrong way - and any owner who congratulates Hibs is making a major rod for their own backs. But while the previous owner said all the right things about Hibs (in fact, he trolled them senseless by ignoring them and treating them as an irrelevance), he also almost killed the club stone dead.

We took the rough with the smooth with Vlad. We have to do the same with Budge too. Such is life. The danger, though, is if her perceived softness permeates the whole footballing side of things. I think it's that which really makes people angry. It's fine to be nice - but never, ever only nice. Football is, after all, about competition and winning; and soft touches get walked all over. In football, to be hated is to exist. It's not a crime that she doesn't understand that - but she musn't ever let her own idealism affect what this club must always be all about. Being the best it can be.

Wow.....I actually agree with you Shaun that's a first I think.

We just have to accept Ann for what she is. We owe her a lot for what she did but it's become more apparent she doesn't understand the tribalism of football and it's fans....That's fine we don't need her to but by the same token she should accept that and refuse to comment on the football...she can easily divert those questions either outright or directing them the way of Craig Levein.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juanjo15

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

sairyinthat
17 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Not really, do you think hey have behaved since 2014?  

so are you retracting your allegation she doesn't condemn others?

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Wow.....I actually agree with you Shaun that's a first I think.

We just have to accept Ann for what she is. We owe her a lot for what she did but it's become more apparent she doesn't understand the tribalism of football and it's fans....That's fine we don't need her to but by the same token she should accept that and refuse to comment on the football...she can easily divert those questions either outright or directing them the way of Craig Levein.

There is, in my view, a very powerful argument that tribalism is both what sustains Scottish football - through laugh-a-minute ridicule of its many very easy targets, and rivalries which are at the core of the Scottish game's history - and what holds it back. Even outside the Old Firm, the rest of the top division clubs can't agree on what day of the week it is, let alone anything else - and that lack of unity is what's always enabled the OF to divide and rule.

So here's Ann Budge, who's coming at this from a completely different background. A world in which bald men fighting over a comb would never have achieved anything. It's not surprising she sees things so differently, and is about openness and communication. 

If you take a bit of point 1 - tribalism and rivalry - and a bit of point 2 - professionalism and a clear sense of the bigger picture, you get the perfect football owner IMO. But they're very, very thin on the ground: and with her, the good massively outweighs the bad.

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

There is, in my view, a very powerful argument that tribalism is both what sustains Scottish football - through laugh-a-minute ridicule of its many very easy targets, and rivalries which are at the core of the Scottish game's history - and what holds it back. Even outside the Old Firm, the rest of the top division clubs can't agree on what day of the week it is, let alone anything else - and that lack of unity is what's always enabled the OF to divide and rule.

So here's Ann Budge, who's coming at this from a completely different background. A world in which bald men fighting over a comb would never have achieved anything. It's not surprising she sees things so differently, and is about openness and communication. 

If you take a bit of point 1 - tribalism and rivalry - and a bit of point 2 - professionalism and a clear sense of the bigger picture, you get the perfect football owner IMO. But they're very, very thin on the ground: and with her, the good massively outweighs the bad.

Not so sure it's the tribalism that holds us back...that could easily be turned into a positive. What holds us back lies within the boundaries of Glasgow. The two biggest clubs and the two governing bodies. The old firms cash has divided the other clubs as ma y can't live without them 4 times a season and the governing bodies are self serving useless gutless troff feeders how care not a jot about the club's outside their own postcode. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
10 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

so are you retracting your allegation she doesn't condemn others?

Allegation? Calm down petal. 

So we have established she has once. 

Do you see how they and others behave at Tynecastle? She is quick to condemn our own fans for incidents such as the mixu one mentioned above yet not a peep when they sing their bile on each visit. Should we just accept their bigotry? 

Is she above criticism in your eyes? 

shaun.lawson
Just now, Rudy T said:

Not so sure it's the tribalism that holds us back...that could easily be turned into a positive. What holds us back lies within the boundaries of Glasgow. The two biggest clubs and the two governing bodies. The old firms cash has divided the other clubs as ma y can't live without them 4 times a season and the governing bodies are self serving useless gutless troff feeders how care not a jot about the club's outside their own postcode. 

Yet it's the clubs - all of them - who determine the make-up and structure of the divisions. This is where the criticism of someone like, say, Neil Doncaster, misses the mark. Yes, he's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike; but he also has no power whatever. The clubs have that power... and with Rangers out of the way, did they make proper use of it? Nope. Because they couldn't agree. QED. 

1 minute ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Do you see how they and others behave at Tynecastle? She is quick to condemn our own fans for incidents such as the mixu one mentioned above yet not a peep when they sing their bile on each visit. Should we just accept their bigotry? 

What other Hearts owners challenged away fans' sectarian singing?  Not suggesting that any lack  of previous challenge excuses current inaction.  Just curious as to why you think Ann Budge's approach should be singled out over previous approaches.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
Just now, Haken said:

What other Hearts owners challenged away fans' sectarian singing?  Not suggesting that any lack  of previous challenge excuses current inaction.  Just curious as to why you think Ann Budge's approach should be singled out over previous approaches.

Simply because she is here at the moment and so are we Haken. 

She is quick to condemn our fans (sometimes rightly sometimes not) I just ask for consistency. 

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Yet it's the clubs - all of them - who determine the make-up and structure of the divisions. This is where the criticism of someone like, say, Neil Doncaster, misses the mark. Yes, he's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike; but he also has no power whatever. The clubs have that power... and with Rangers out of the way, did they make proper use of it? Nope. Because they couldn't agree. QED. 

Shauny, bald men fighting over combs and motorbike ashtrays in your last two posts? You’re better than that, lad! Chocolate teapots next?

Fwiw you and Rudi are on the money here and on the face of it what Ann lacks, Craig possesses, so as a team we should be in good hands. A really good leader surrounds themselves well and delegates. It all needs to translate to the park though, its all bluster and theory without football results.

Edited by TheBigO

3 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Simply because she is here at the moment and so are we Haken. 

She is quick to condemn our fans (sometimes rightly sometimes not) I just ask for consistency. 

I agree with your second paragraph.  However, the sectarian stuff is a tough nut.  Why should our owner be the crusader when no other owner will speak up?  The SFA don't address it.  The police don't take it on.  Parliament tried to address it by legislating only for that legislation to be repealed because it was 'unfair'.  Most of those saying it was unfair were Celtic fans and the repeal bill was taken through by a Celtic supporting MSP.  Perhaps as a way of positioning Hearts, Ann Budge feels that her own house needs to be in order to avoid the inevitable whataboutery that would ensue.

16 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

They did and they handed the power back to old firm which I'll never get my head around.

Doncaster deserves everything he gets...hes the biggest old firm apologist of the lot. All the league needs rangers rhetoric should've seen him run out of town.

2 minutes ago, Haken said:

I agree with your second paragraph.  However, the sectarian stuff is a tough nut.  Why should our owner be the crusader when no other owner will speak up?  The SFA don't address it.  The police don't take it on.  Parliament tried to address it by legislating only for that legislation to be repealed because it was 'unfair'.  Most of those saying it was unfair were Celtic fans and the repeal bill was taken through by a Celtic supporting MSP.  Perhaps as a way of positioning Hearts, Ann Budge feels that her own house needs to be in order to avoid the inevitable whataboutery that would ensue.

Pretty sure Ann answered the question similar to how you suggest during the Q and A session but I'm fecked if I'm searching for it.  :unsure: 

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Shauny, bald men fighting over combs and motorbike ashtrays in your last two posts? You’re better than that, lad! Chocolate teapots next?

Fwiw you and Rudi are on the money here and on the face of it what Ann lacks, Craig possesses, so as a team we should be in good hands. A really good leader surrounds themselves well and delegates. It all needs to translate to the park though, its all bluster and theory without football results.

Final para is spot on. Ann can do dignified but she isn't in the dressing room and you can take it to the bank that Craig NLTF what the natural order is.

sairyinthat
21 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

I don't think if justified anyone can be criticised But you waste your time with me because I can think for myself without any prompting by others.

55 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If you hate anyone because of what football team they support you are missing out on life. 

Plenty hibs are dicks, just like some hibs are OK, Hearts fans also follow this, some good guys, some wanks. 

Some of my mates are Hibby's but that doesn't stop me hating Hibs FC and all who sail in her.

My wife says I hate Hibs as much as I love Hearts....... she might be on to something. ?

Edited by PTBCAL

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
20 minutes ago, Haken said:

I don't disagree with anything above. But, should we simply accept it? Should we be silent? I don't think we should. 

It's wrong and should be called out whenever and wherever it happens. Change will only happen when someone says enough is enough. 

13 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

I don't disagree with anything above. But, should we simply accept it? Should we be silent? I don't think we should. 

It's wrong and should be called out whenever and wherever it happens. Change will only happen when someone says enough is enough. 

I don't think we should accept it either but I also don't think that it is our problem to solve, or at least not only our problem.  Other clubs would simply say nothing to see here in order to preserve the income they depend upon from the uglies.  I also don't think it's purely a football problem.  I just feel that Mrs B would find herself completely isolated trying to address an issue that institutions much bigger than Hearts, and far better placed to tackle it, have failed to do.  

From a footballing perspective, I think it would need every club, including Celtic and Rangers, to say enough is enough.  

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
4 minutes ago, Haken said:

I don't think we should accept it either but I also don't think that it is our problem to solve, or at least not only our problem.  Other clubs would simply say nothing to see here in order to preserve the income they depend upon from the uglies.  I also don't think it's purely a football problem.  I just feel that Mrs B would find herself completely isolated trying to address an issue that institutions much bigger than Hearts, and far better placed to tackle it, have failed to do.  

From a footballing perspective, I think it would need every club, including Celtic and Rangers, to say enough is enough.  

Again I don't disagree, so in real terms we are stuck with it. Because we and other clubs are shitebags. 

Would we be so quiet if it was racism or antisemitic? 

7 minutes ago, Haken said:

We have to also remember Ann Budge is only a temporary owner. She may just walk away when we hand over the FoH money. She's retired and perhaps just wants a quiet life when she's handed over the club...does she want to get embroiled on a fight with those morons...probably not.

1 minute ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Again I don't disagree, so in real terms we are stuck with it. Because we and other clubs are shitebags. 

Would we be so quiet if it was racism or antisemitic? 

Yes to the first and no to the second.

:mj_zivili:

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We have to also remember Ann Budge is only a temporary owner. She may just walk away when we hand over the FoH money. She's retired and perhaps just wants a quiet life when she's handed over the club...does she want to get embroiled on a fight with those morons...probably not.

Her being a 70 year old auld wifey did occur to me, too.  However, sir Vladimir makes a valid point about complacency , or acceptance, in general.  I just feel that Hearts,  or any other club, telling Rangers and Celtic that their fans are unacceptable, is never going to work.  they are the problem and they should be driving the solution.  Not going to happen though when you use that same problem as a means of marketing your brand.

Edited by Haken

John Findlay
57 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Some of my mates are Hibby's but that doesn't stop me hating Hibs FC and all who sail in her.

My wife says I hate Hibs as much as I love Hearts....... she might be on to something. ?

I hope you gave her the age old I love hibs  more than I love you:pleased:.

3 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If you hate anyone because of what football team they support you are missing out on life. 

Plenty hibs are dicks, just like some hibs are OK, Hearts fans also follow this, some good guys, some wanks. 

As I've stated on here before, I don't think you properly understand Edinburgh football rivalry Tosh 

Pasquale for King

My mate works for  a company that deals with Ann Budges brother, he told my mate that Ann was a Hibee before she met her Hearts supporting partner (I don’t know when that was).

It might explain her attitude towards them.

Im only passing on what I’ve heard,  don’t shoot the messenger and call me a troll or worse a ****ing Hibee please.

I’m away to get my tin hat on.

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My mate works for  a company that deals with Ann Budges brother, he told my mate that Ann was a Hibee before she met her Hearts supporting partner (I don’t know when that was).

Im only passing on what I’ve heard,  don’t shoot the messenger and call me a troll or worse a ****ing Hibee please.

Not according to this snippet from an FOH statement at the time of the transfer of ownership.

A Foundation insider told Record Sport: “This announcement was made to clarify a few rumours that were going around.

“Ann’s been involved right from the beginning but didn’t want the publicity. She is a lifelong Hearts fan and was in a position where she could help and wanted to do so.

“We are delighted to have her support and not only in a financial sense.”

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Spencer said:

As I've stated on here before, I don't think you properly understand Edinburgh football rivalry Tosh 

I understand just fine , I just don't buy into it as much as some and certainly when it does surface it stays within the football ground. 

My point also stands. 

jamtartan74
26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not according to this snippet from an FOH statement at the time of the transfer of ownership.

A Foundation insider told Record Sport: “This announcement was made to clarify a few rumours that were going around.

“Ann’s been involved right from the beginning but didn’t want the publicity. She is a lifelong Hearts fan and was in a position where she could help and wanted to do so.

“We are delighted to have her support and not only in a financial sense.”

Not sure about lifelong, think I remember an interview in which she states that she only started ‘supporting’ us through her daughter who started bringing her along to games  about 15 years ago or so, maybe got the length of time wrong but don’t think she was much of a football fan until then. Or maybe I imagined that ?. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, Spencer said:

No "think" about it.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

No. She was at the 98 final. But you are right it was mainly through her Daughter.

Her partner is a Hibby.

10 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Anne does not hate Hibs like the majority of us. Her Father was a Hibby and her partner is a Hibby.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

My mate works for  a company that deals with Ann Budges brother, he told my mate that Ann was a Hibee before she met her Hearts supporting partner

So, which one is it? 

I thought her partner was Eric Hogg... 

8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I hope you gave her the age old I love hibs  more than I love you:pleased:.

?

Reminds me of the old one about the wife saying I love football more than her.

It was geniunely our 3rd Wedding anniversary on Monday. We have been together for 3 seasons ?

2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

So, which one is it? 

It is.

gowestjambo
20 hours ago, BobbyJenkins said:

No half as depressing as reading your posts. 

Don't read them then - they are not mandatory unless you are a troll!!

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

So, which one is it? 

Shes divorced. Her ex Husband is from a Hibs supporting family that much I know. Who she is with now I don't know but she definitely got into Hearts through her daughter.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

So, which one is it? 

I’ve had a look into it and she talks about being at European games with her daughter, Basel in particular.  It seems that Eric Begg is her business partner, the guy im thinking off goes to games with her I think.

So it looks like her dad and brother, the guy whose company built the new stand, are Hibbies which might explain the absence of the hatred some of us have for them.

We_are_the_Hearts
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve had a look into it and she talks about being at European games with her daughter, Basel in particular.  It seems that Eric Begg is her business partner, the guy im thinking off goes to games with her I think.

So it looks like her dad and brother, the guy whose company built the new stand, are Hibbies which might explain the absence of the hatred some of us have for them.

Might explain a few other things as well!!

Escobar PHM
On 23/05/2018 at 08:56, Des Lynam said:

Really? 

You think we should win games? 

:rofl: 

I think we need to stop viewing draws at Ross county and dens Park as being the target and a good result. That would require a change in mentality don’t you think?

• 9 months later...
Hampden Demolition

Would suspect that if CL stays on, the two cups runs will be used as a reason even though we haven’t faced a team in either (up to the semi in the league cup) that realistically we should be worried about and would have been expected to beat.

Raith Rovers

Cowdenbeath

Inverness

Cove Rangers

Dunfermline Athletic

Motherwell

Livingston

Auchinleck Talbot

Partick Thistle

Pants Shaton
13 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

FOH taking over tick tock

Hopefully draws and losses to absolute shite won’t be tolerated anymore 

imagine how successful we could be if season-ticket holders get to choose the team and tactics using a special app.  Pooling the knowledge of over 10,000 football experts would make us unbeatable, I dare say.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Would suspect that if CL stays on, the two cups runs will be used as a reason even though we haven’t faced a team in either (up to the semi in the league cup) that realistically we should be worried about and would have been expected to beat.

Raith Rovers

Cowdenbeath

Inverness

Cove Rangers

Dunfermline Athletic

Motherwell

Livingston

Auchinleck Talbot

Partick Thistle

Add ICT to that list.

Aberdeen or Celtic?  I cannot see a CL side at Hampden putting up much of a fight against either. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Add ICT to that list.

Aberdeen or Celtic?  I cannot see a CL side at Hampden putting up much of a fight against either. 

Scottish Cup final, Aberdeen vs ICT: the stuff of nightmares for the suits at Hampden, and the broadcasters...

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, JAYEL said:

You might have put a Shaun warning on though ?

Sorry ?

Warning: Please do not read this thread while operating heavy machinery.

??

Edited by To Be Frank

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Sorry ?

Warning: Please do not read this thread while operating heavy machinery.

??

????

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Interesting reading given the current situation.

Life's to short, could you just highlight the best bits please. Thanks in advance.