Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place

jumpship

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1415740-hearts-will-have-funds-to-challenge-for-europe-says-budge/

Owner Ann Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place and European qualification next season.

The Edinburgh club finished this term in sixth spot, 18 points behind Hibernian in fourth, after a fifth-placed finish in the previous campaign.

It has coincided with redevelopment work on the main stand at Tynecastle.

"Hearts as a club should always aim to be in contention, fighting to be as high as we can," she told BBC Scotland.

"We want to be regularly in Europe, and we are not going to change from our position - we want to be top three or four in Scotland; that is the way we plan, and for this coming season as well."

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juanjo15

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

Aww ffs....we just started to move away from CL out and accountability posts.

Trust Ann to start it up again!

More -

Work on the new £15m main stand, which reopened last November, is not now expected to be finished until the end of next season.

While Budge said funding for the £2m needed to complete the work is already in place, with fans group Foundation of Hearts having fulfilled their promise of a £3m contribution to the Tynecastle Redevelopment Fund, she conceded that it may have affected the budget for the Hearts first-team squad.

"Clearly undertaking what we have undertaken has take some of our finances and put it in different directions," she said.

"A couple of years from now, maybe even a year from now, when this [work] is all finished, there will be a greater focus on that.

"But right now it is about balance. You have to have the resources for other things as well as the football department."

Hearts manager Craig Levein said recently he hoped to recruit between seven and 10 players this summer.

Five have already been signed up - strikers Steven MacLean and Ucke Ikpeaza, midfielders Jake Mulraney and Olly Lee, and left-back Bobby Burns.

Budge revealed the club hope to "close some further business quite quickly", although refused to be drawn on reports they are poised to sign Australian left-back Ben Garuccio on a pre-contract agreement from Adelaide United.

She confirmed the club are keen to retain both left-back Demetri Mitchell and striker Steven Naismith, who spent the second half of last season on loan from Manchester united and Norwich respectively.

"To a certain extent it is out of our hands, but we have made it clear we would like to continue with both Demi and Steven, and if we can, we will," she said.

Meanwhile, the installation of a new £1m hybrid pitch is well under way, with Budge saying work is "slightly ahead of schedule" and on track to be ready for the start of the new season in July.

Fourth may not get Europe.  

We we should be aiming for first, as unrealistic as it is, so I would not expect a public announcement.  Second or third, however, is a reasonable target. Fourth is bearable, but should not be an ambition. 

Aiming for top three or four, in my opinion, is a mediocre target. 

7 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Fourth may not get Europe.  

We we should be aiming for first, as unrealistic as it is, so I would not expect a public announcement.  Second or third, however, is a reasonable target. Fourth is bearable, but should not be an ambition. 

Aiming for top three or four, in my opinion, is a mediocre target. 

3rd is realistic given the budget and how far we finished behind.   Second would be a tremendous achievement.  Thirds never been mediocre ever with a cup run. 

King prawn

I'd be satisfied with 3rd/4th if we had a trip to Hampden in either of the cups too.

I'd like to think we'd at least try for first.  

Given that we are building for the future and the work required is both extensive and expensive I would be happy with top 4.

I would like to see a cup run thrown in though.

A trip to Hampden and top 4 would probably be a decent season until we can fire on all cylinders.

19 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

3rd is realistic given the budget and how far we finished behind.   Second would be a tremendous achievement.  Thirds never been mediocre ever with a cup run. 

Third and a cup run is fine.   Though basing next season’s target on the just ended season’s position is questionable, since this season was a failure. 

Fourth, as an acceptable pre-season target, is disappointing for me.  I just don’t think such a target will excite people who don’t have a season ticket, to buy one, or those reluctant to renew, to renew.  Only my opinion, of course. 

Edited by Paolo

Cruyff Turn

Bit of a public slap down of CL from Granny Budge. Levein says another season of pain, Ann says European football next season. 

Glad to see Ann underlining the minimum expectations of the club for next season. 

BobbyJenkins
2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Third and a cup run is fine.   Though basing next season’s target on the just ended season’s position is questionable, since this season was a failure. 

Fourth, as an acceptable pre-season target, is disappointing for me.  I just don’t think such a target will excite people who don’t have a season ticket, to buy one, or those reluctant to renew, to renew.  Only my opinion, of course. 

If season ticket sales were based on announcements re season ambitions all clubs would just come out and bam themselves up way beyond the likely outcome at season end. I don’t think these statements will make much difference, if at all. Much more likely signings will do that. Maybe a successful preseason too although a successful preseason doesn’t always guarantee a good season of course.

BobbyJenkins
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bit of a public slap down of CL from Granny Budge. Levein says another season of pain, Ann says European football next season. 

Glad to see Ann underlining the minimum expectations of the club for next season. 

Don’t see where the difference is... it’s merely choice of language. Both clearly expect to challenge for 4th/3rd then better thereafter once more money is directed at the squad.

Edited by BobbyJenkins
Spelling

10 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

If season ticket sales were based on announcements re season ambitions all clubs would just come out and bam themselves up way beyond the likely outcome at season end. I don’t think these statements will make much difference, if at all. Much more likely signings will do that. Maybe a successful preseason too although a successful preseason doesn’t always guarantee a good season of course.

I think it will make a difference. 

There will be a group, like me, who will renew regardless, but there will be fans who who will pick and choose games.    If we want to convert these fans to season ticket holders, statements announcing that the stand will impact player budget, and a mediocre target, in my opinion, will not increase season ticket holders.  

Edited by Paolo

JamboGraham

We are now in football silly season where loads of journos are left with not much to write about at all...lots of stuff that wouldn’t even have made it into a notebook 2 weeks ago are now headlines.

I see no significant difference between this and Craig yesterday except for emphasis.

I guess the only rule right at

this time of year is to not come out with anything ridiculous that will come back to bite you in a few months time..

Cruyff Turn
12 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Don’t see where the difference is... it’s merely choice of language. Both clearly expect to challenge for 4th/3rd then better thereafter once more money is directed at the squad.

CL was trying to down play expectations by saying another year of pain and that the stand would impact on his budget. 

Ann has said we have a budget to achieve European football and that 4th was the minimum expectation.

I can't see how that could be construed as the same message. 

By the light
10 minutes ago, Paolo said:

There will be a group, like me, who will renew regardless, but there will be fans who who will pick and choose games.    If we want to convert these fans to season ticket holders, statements announcing that the stand will impact player budget, and a mediocre target, in my opinion, will not increase season ticket holders.  

And if she comes out and says we’re aiming to win the league she gets slaughtered on here for living in cloud cuckoo land. Don’t even know why they bother speaking to the press. They can’t win with our fans.

People also have to remember they don’t write these statements, they respond to questions and the journalists then write the article to frame the comments to suit their agenda.

BobbyJenkins
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

CL was trying to down play expectations by saying another year of pain and that the stand would impact on his budget. 

Ann has said we have a budget to achieve European football and that 4th was the minimum expectation.

I can't see how that could be construed as the same message. 

Including previous statements he wants and expects better next season. All in all they are saying the same thing. In the context of where we want to go as a club there will be a bit more pain I.e. money being diverted on infrastructure etc.

BobbyJenkins
4 minutes ago, By the light said:

And if she comes out and says we’re aiming to win the league she gets slaughtered on here for living in cloud cuckoo land. Don’t even know why they bother speaking to the press. They can’t win with our fans.

People also have to remember they don’t write these statements, they respond to questions and the journalists then write the article to frame the comments to suit their agenda.

Yeah that’s the other part to it. 

A positive article.  Lots of ways to read into it.  Could be taken as Mrs Budge reminding CL what the expectations are.

alwaysthereinspirit

She should be saying every close season that the next seasons target is the treble.

Or say nothing.

sairyinthat
20 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Pre season statements will have zero impact on anything,actionwhen the season gets underway will dictate nothing else imo.

As far as I am concerned with the SPL as it stands we should be targeting second.

If we can sort out some semi decent away form it is achievable - we have the measure of Aberdeen head to head. Hibs had their once in a while decent season and are not a better team than us and Rangers are there for the taking.

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

She should be saying every close season that the next seasons target is the treble.

Or say nothing.

:notsure:

Lots of posters are looking at placings, which of course is important in monetary terms, but I am more inclined to look at increasing our points total as this is IMHO a better indication of league progress. For next season if we can get to 69 points this would be a sign of good progress but may not give us anymore prize money.

League 'target' = try to win as many games and points as you can as they come along ( one game at a time normally ) and see where it takes you.

Cups targets = win each round as they come along.  Win a round... play in the next round.   Get beat... play no further part in it.

Setting actual league position targets and cup winning targets is rather silly.    If Hearts as a club performs to the level it should perform at then the level of achievement will be acceptable to people.

Fxxx the SPFL

Unfortunately the huns are going to make some decent signings 39k season tickets sold already averaging £500 a pop so that gives them around £20million according to my bluenose work mate. I think realistically we'll finish third at best unless they go tits up. So probably a three way fight with us the hobbits and sheep for third. That's me just being realistic.

59 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Read it again . She is saying nothing of the sort." Expectations" ? Seriously, the Sheep and Hibs will have to implode before Hearts is in the hunt. She talks about "balance" - maybe she could have balanced the outrageous overspend on  the stand over the next 2 years instead.  Just for the record - who is actually on the hook with the banks  for this over spend?  

Interesting Budge has come out with this 24 hours after Levein spoke to the media 

Wonder how she felt he performed yesterday. No mention of "pain" in her summary 

56 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

We are now in football silly season where loads of journos are left with not much to write about at all...lots of stuff that wouldn’t even have made it into a notebook 2 weeks ago are now headlines.

I see no significant difference between this and Craig yesterday except for emphasis.

I guess the only rule right at

this time of year is to not come out with anything ridiculous that will come back to bite you in a few months time..

I can't see why there is the need for the club to make any prediction about where we expect to end up at the end of the season.

No-matter the gulf in resources between us and opposition clubs surely we are still going to try and win all our games, aren't we? 

If our manager was to instill any other message prior to a game he should be shot.

Edited by JohnB

Maple Leaf
26 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Lots of posters are looking at placings, which of course is important in monetary terms, but I am more inclined to look at increasing our points total as this is IMHO a better indication of league progress. For next season if we can get to 69 points this would be a sign of good progress but may not give us anymore prize money.

Good point.  Getting to 69 points from this season's 49 points would be very good progress indeed.

Throw in a trip (or two) to Hampden, and that would be a successful season, imo.

i wish jj was my dad
44 minutes ago, Haken said:

A positive article.  Lots of ways to read into it.  Could be taken as Mrs Budge reminding CL what the expectations are.

I don't think she needs to remind Craig. He knows what is expected and the consequences of failure. I suspect that she is reassuring folk that she has targets that she expects to be met before rhe usual whispering campaign gains any traction..

Good statement IMO.

1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't think she needs to remind Craig. He knows what is expected and the consequences of failure. I suspect that she is reassuring folk that she has targets that she expects to be met before rhe usual whispering campaign gains any traction..

Good statement IMO.

What is the consequences of failure that he knows about? 

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Interesting Budge has come out with this 24 hours after Levein spoke to the media 

Wonder how she felt he performed yesterday. No mention of "pain" in her summary 

I thought she and Craig were really tight and she is completely reliant on him? Strange that she would publicly contradict him if that is what you are inferring 

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Juanjo15 said:

He will be out.

alwaysthereinspirit
36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

:notsure:

Very serious. If we're not going into every season at least planning to go undefeated then we're already giving up.

Do I think its possible. No. Never. But she doesn't need to tell us. For the record, I love her and will be giving monthly for what I hope is the rest of my life.

Captain Canada
1 hour ago, houstonjambo said:

Does that mean Adao and Milinkovic are not happening?

sadface

That's exactly what I was thinking. They both bring a lot more to the team than Naismith does. 

johnking123

Our playing staff wage bill will still be six million or more. Enough to get some good players for our level. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
18 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Does that mean we are not interested in Skinny and Adao as well?

I'll be disappointed if we can't keep Adao. Not bothered about Milinkovic.

heartsfc_fan
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'll be disappointed if we can't keep Adao. Not bothered about Milinkovic.

I'm the other way.

While Adao is good, he'll rack up about 25 yellow cards for us in a full season. Very erratic.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Smacked in the heed with an axe. 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Unfortunately the huns are going to make some decent signings 39k season tickets sold already averaging £500 a pop so that gives them around £20million according to my bluenose work mate. I think realistically we'll finish third at best unless they go tits up. So probably a three way fight with us the hobbits and sheep for third. That's me just being realistic.

Fator in kids, oaps, etc More like £12/£13m

Still a good amount, but we they've had the same last 3 seasons and Aberdeen have still bested them. 

I wouldn't fill my knickers  just yet. 

27 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I thought she and Craig were really tight and she is completely reliant on him? Strange that she would publicly contradict him if that is what you are inferring 

She hasn't contradicted him. Just read it again. Carefully.