Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place

jumpship

Stephen Muddie
14 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You did mention it, and then you went right ahead and did some anyway!

I most certainly did not. The Rangers were terrible that season and we had a poorer Aberdeen's measure. Hubz were first division (I believe 3rd place) when they knocked us out. Likle I said, he should've gone after the worst European result in our history.

FWIW, he would not have finished 2nd. So really I'm not sure where I revised anything. Suck it up.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juanjo15

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

3 hours ago, McCrae said:

I woukd settle for us beating H1B5 4 times, and finishing fourth and them third as long as they didn’t finish above us on a regular basis.

As a club we are unlikely to win silverware on a regular basis and in this context winning the Derby is huge.

Fact we went 36 years without winning a major trophy until 98 was very disappointing 

Can't help but feel this type of post about past performance determining what we can achieve going forward represents a lack of ambition amongst Hearts fans 

Much of the reason why we couldn't compete throughout the decades was due to burgeoning debt and crippling debt servicing costs. We now have neither and have the capability to increase our revenue going forward to increased capacity 

I wonder what happens if the team fail to achieve top 4 for the second year running?

Congratulating hibs just sums up the type of person Budge is.  Probably the nicest woman in the world out of work but doesn’t really get what the rest of us get out of football.  Did she not ban/suspend a fan for calling Mixu a “fat hibs *******” or something :laugh:  She’s been good for the club but it’s exactly the type of thing you’d expect her to come out with. 

Would love to hear petrie ever praise hearts :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Morph said:

I wonder what happens if the team fail to achieve top 4 for the second year running?

Congratulating hibs just sums up the type of person Budge is.  Probably the nicest woman in the world out of work but doesn’t really get what the rest of us get out of football.  Did she not ban/suspend a fan for calling Mixu a “fat hibs *******” or something :laugh:  She’s been good for the club but it’s exactly the type of thing you’d expect her to come out with. 

It'll be 3 years if we fail next season.

BobbyJenkins
32 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Full attack mode again I see 

You’re being a sadsack again i see Spencer. You just keep spouting yer pish and leave me to decide how I conduct my postings. 

Edited by BobbyJenkins

8 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

You’re being a sadsack again i see Spencer. You just keep spouting yer pish and leave me to decide how I conduct my postings. 

Full attack mode 

Nookie Bear
30 minutes ago, Morph said:

For all his faults, Petrie worked behind the scenes to make sure his supporters go away with their Cup Final behaviour. He earned his inflated salary that day, for sure.

FoH forever
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Are you really saying finishing above Hibs and not losing to them is a definition of a "decent season" in the league for Hearts?

And what would be wrong if asked about Hibs with saying "I'm not here to talk about Hibs"?

What I'm saying is based on the expectations of the fans and how certain posts, determine success as beating Hibs 4 times and finishing below them. 

If we win/draw every game against them, converting games we drew this year into wins, more than likely means top 4 plus cup run to semis/final, then it's a decent season by most standards. 

At the very least, it's an improvement on the last 2, probably qualifying for Europe and if a cup win comes along with it, then think most Hearts fans will see that as decent/acceptable. 

For that to happen, obviously need luck to go our way i.e. Ball in the back of the net instead of the woodwork or if we play a mis-placed pass, the players fight to win it back, support each other and then the fans can get behind the team instead of on their backs. 

Budget is a reality that limits the quality we have or can sign, has been the case for the last 30 years I've followed this club but firm believer that a team that works hard for each other, shows that desire week in/week out, will get the results. 

Would love to see us playing the type of football that gets the hype/media going but would take 18-20 scrappy 1-0 in the league as that means points on the board

29 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Fact we went 36 years without winning a major trophy until 98 was very disappointing 

Can't help but feel this type of post about past performance determining what we can achieve going forward represents a lack of ambition amongst Hearts fans 

Much of the reason why we couldn't compete throughout the decades was due to burgeoning debt and crippling debt servicing costs. We now have neither and have the capability to increase our revenue going forward to increased capacity 

It's just the difference between hopes and expectations, I suppose.

I don't think there's a Hearts fan out there who doesn't want us to win every match and every cup, every derby, everything. That's the hope. 

We have a good derby record so maintaining that is a rational sort of expectation, winning every game isn't a rational expectation in any sense, same as winning every cup. Any cup. Those hopes and expectations will change depending on the precedent we set and the things we achieve. They'll shape the things we come to hope for and expect in the future. Maybe I'll start to expect to play in Europe every season AND do well in group stages sometime. Maybe that'll be a thing I come to expect someday. I think most people just temper their expectations accordingly and ambition grows with that.

Why expect the moon on a stick when you know fine well you're only likely to be disappointed?

Nookie Bear
38 minutes ago, redm said:

I don't think there's a Hearts fan out there who doesn't want us to win every match and every cup, every derby, everything. That's the hope. 

We have a good derby record so maintaining that is a rational sort of expectation, winning every game isn't a rational expectation in any sense, same as winning every cup. Any cup. Those hopes and expectations will change depending on the precedent we set and the things we achieve. They'll shape the things we come to hope for and expect in the future. Maybe I'll start to expect to play in Europe every season AND do well in group stages sometime. Maybe that'll be a thing I come to expect someday. I think most people just temper their expectations accordingly and ambition grows with that.

Why expect the moon on a stick when you know fine well you're only likely to be disappointed?

Yep, we all want to win every week and that is not possible - everyone gets that.

What frustrates most, though, is when we fail to play to our potential and appear to play with the brakes on. We must have dropped a dozen points this season by sitting on leads, and probably a similar number of points by starting slowly and not upping the tempo until we go a goal behind.

Clearly the current mindset is not working and we need to puff our chests out and start playing like a team that believes it deserves to be finishing 2nd and getting to cup finals.

Maple Leaf
6 hours ago, Barack said:

Now, I'm grateful for what she's helped us with and everything, but this statement, is a shocker:

What the **** the last line is all about, I do not know. 

:berra:

"But Jambos owner Budge believes Hibs’ success is good for the game in Edinburgh as a whole.

She said: “Without question we all know Hibs have had a fantastic season. They have played some good football and had some amazing results.

“That doesn’t make it worse for me — it’s a very competitive league, as it will be next year.

“Of course our supporters would prefer if it wasn’t that way. But I am glad Edinburgh is doing well, quite frankly.“

I have enormous respect for Ann Budge, and I'll always be grateful for what she has done, and is doing, for our Club.

But I strongly disagree with her on that comment.

I never want Hibs to do well.  The only Hibs results that I find "amazing" are when they get thrashed.  I wish them and their fans nothing but misery.

And when it comes to football, there is no such thing as Edinburgh.  There are only Hearts and the Losers.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, we all want to win every week and that is not possible - everyone gets that.

What frustrates most, though, is when we fail to play to our potential and appear to play with the brakes on. We must have dropped a dozen points this season by sitting on leads, and probably a similar number of points by starting slowly and not upping the tempo until we go a goal behind.

Clearly the current mindset is not working and we need to puff our chests out and start playing like a team that believes it deserves to be finishing 2nd and getting to cup finals.

Agree.

I spout about attitude all the time. I often reference JJs teams too.

Give your all, and I include the manager in that, be positive and believe the game can be taken to the opppsiton home and away and I’m certain our win percentage will be higher.

Thats what JJs teams were about.

Of course it didn’t always bear fruit, we got our arses felt sometimes, but that happens to most teams. However, our outlook and approach in those days brought joy more often than not and as a fan you looked forward to matches. 

Did she not make a statement about 18 months ago about anything outside the top four being unacceptable?  Why has fifth and sixth been acceptable over the last two seasons? 

4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Did she not make a statement about 18 months ago about anything outside the top four being unacceptable?  Why has fifth and sixth been acceptable over the last two seasons? 

When did she say that it was acceptable? 

Just now, jambogemz said:

When did she say that it was acceptable? 

I thought she made a statement along those lines about eighteen months ago?  

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

She may well have done. I'm not sure.

When did she say the league position last 2 seasons was acceptable though?

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I think she may have been asked a leading question by the press but what she said should still apply, when the full income comes in from the new stand certainly!

1 minute ago, jambogemz said:

She may well have done. I'm not sure.

When did she say the league position last 2 seasons was acceptable though?

She hadn't said it isn't.  Not taking any action after finishing outside the top four two seasons in a row, makes it look like it is. 

1 hour ago, redm said:

Do you think we should be challenging for 2nd?

Do you think we should be making the later stages of the cup competitions?

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

She hadn't said it isn't.  Not taking any action after finishing outside the top four two seasons in a row, makes it look like it is. 

Well we've had different managers the last 2 seasons so action was taken last summer. 

Just because Craig Levein hasn't been sacked doesn't mean to say she's not expressed here dissatisfaction to the management. 

The contrast in statements between Craig and Ann over the last couple of days would suggest Craig knows she's not happy at all.

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Going over old ground a bit here, but no, they don’t.

32 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Well, we’ve only ever challenged for second a few times in my Hearts supporting career but yes, of course, I’d very much like us to. I’d love it if that’s where any financial advantage takes us. We don’t exist in a bubble though, Rangers are making a mess of it all at the moment but could get their shit together. Remains to be seen how things go with current Aberdeen and Hibs squads. 

Yes, we probably should ideally reach later stages of cups but football isn’t an exact science and in modern history it’s only the OF who have managed to develop proper consistency in reaching semis and finals. That type of consistency costs a lot of money.  

BelgeJambo

Circumstances didn't help this season.  Playing so many games away at the start and Murrayfield not being our spiritual home was always going to be difficult.  I doubt Hibs or Kilmarnock would have coped with these circumstances any better and Aberdeen may have to follow suit.

We should be able to consider there was going to be some pain last season and as our home form showed on return to Tynecastle Park, we can be a competitive team albeit the away from was disappointing.

Levein won't allow us to start the League Cup campaign in the lack lustre way Cathro did and I believe the squad will be 10-20% fitter from the off.

Good days will return, have faith

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Ann Budge should read this and realise what a feckin Diddy little sad sack club they are. 

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8717

Hold on while I regal tales of Bayern Munich, Athletico Madrid, Sparta Prague, Basel, Bordeaux, Stuttgart, Mallorca.....

Diddy club right enough, hibsing it even back then with their crowds :rofl: 

Hibernian required a crowd of 12,000 to breakeven on the £2500 spent getting to and from Ljubljana, but, with the second leg now just a formality, 10,445 showed up at Easter Road Stadium.

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Diddy club right enough, hibsing it even back then with their crowds :rofl: 

Hibernian required a crowd of 12,000 to breakeven on the £2500 spent getting to and from Ljubljana, but, with the second leg now just a formality, 10,445 showed up at Easter Road Stadium.

Losing money in Europe only hibs!

sairyinthat
6 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

I am optimistic we can achieve 3rd, even under budget constraints. If Gerrard has a John Barnes experience, we may challenge 2nd..  I think Aberdeen will struggle to keep their consistency for another season and McLean will be a big loss for them.  Hibs and Kilmarnock - one season wonders

Close season and I am already pretty happy with our signings looking forward to seeing what others are arriving.I am convinced we will be right up there at the business end of the season.Certainly not getting into a lather over statement our leaders make at this time.Pointless

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

She needs to stop making statements. She clearly doesn't get football or fans. 

She is happy enough to blast our fans for the least thing yet never a peep when visiting fans kick off. 

As for praising hibs? **** off. Idiotic thing to say. 

Thanks for what you did, and are doing. Once you have your money back (and your interest) I'd not be unhappy to see he with no further direct input. 

She gets far too easy a time on here. While much good has been presided over she is also responsible for a number of failings. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

She is happy enough to blast our fans for the least thing yet never a peep when visiting fans kick off. 

Thanks for what you did, and are doing. Once you have your money back (and your interest) I'd not be unhappy to see he with no further direct input. 

She gets far too easy a time on here. While much good has been presided over she is also responsible for a number of failings. 

Not true.

12 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Probably going the same way as all our previous owners. Budgement day has been replaced by an acceptance of mediocrity.

I think we should have a maximum term for our CEO (like American presidents) as after a few years we always seem to burn them out. 

27 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

I personally think she should stick to the business side only and steer well clear on commenting on the football side. Give us the numbers and the updates she does around the infrastructure etc and leave the football comments alone. Hibs wouldn't give us the steam off their piss so why we are even commenting on their season I've no idea. Even if she was asked a simple 'it's no concern of ours what they've done' would be fine.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
25 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not true.

If I have missed her calling out the terrorist lovers or the other arse cheek I sta d corrected. Can you post a link please. Thanks. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I personally think she should stick to the business side only and steer well clear on commenting on the football side. Give us the numbers and the updates she does around the infrastructure etc and leave the football comments alone. Hibs wouldn't give us the steam off their piss so why we are even commenting on their season I've no idea. Even if she was asked a simple 'it's no concern of ours what they've done' would be fine.

I'd prefer her to say FTH. 

5 hours ago, Spencer said:

Unless we are able to close the financial with the old firm we cannot expect to win cups on a regular basis. It’s not realistic to expect otherwise.

Sure if we punch above our weight we can win a cup every few years... but we can’t expect teams with larger budgets to under perform every year. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
23 minutes ago, DVB said:

Probably going the same way as all our previous owners. Budgement day has been replaced by an acceptance of mediocrity.

I think we should have a maximum term for our CEO (like American presidents) as after a few years we always seem to burn them out. 

Interesting idea. 

Budge is a terrific lady and a terrific owner whom we will forever owe our gratitude to.

I don't think we will ever win anything (lower leagues aside) with her at the helm though. That isn't a criticism before anyone gets their knickers in a twist. Wouldn't change her involvement for the world but there will be a day when we will need to move on to achieve more on field success imo.

sairyinthat
11 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Thanks. 

While commendable, since her feet got under the table through West she has been silent on such things... 

Rapid change of tactic.

Anne does not hate Hibs like the majority of us. Her Father was a Hibby and her partner is a Hibby. Whilst I am sure she understands the rivalry there is no doubt she doesn't feel it like most of us but that's not a crime.

She is doing a great job and I for one thank her. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
17 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Rapid change of tactic.

Not really, do you think hey have behaved since 2014?  

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, jumpship said:

I think we can. 

Aberdeen and rangers will also feel they can as well regularly. 

Aberdeen are ahead of us, rangers are spending daft to try and make it happen. 

Hibs got the same jump as us on promotion, I think they'll go backwards but still be in about the top 5.

Based on finance, We should never be below Kilmarnock. I don't expect us to be again anytime soon. Sometimes a ICT, Motherwell, Killie happens they never maintain it. 

Cup, an emement of luck involved. 

Everything is fluid, but we must start our contiinous improvement now on the football front. 

I have confidence in Craig to deliver this. 

shaun.lawson

Ach, it's just Ann. Owners mould football clubs in their own image. In her case, it's about:

- Building a self-sustaining club which funds itself and never again makes the blunders of the past

- Commercial reach: attendances and season ticket sales are a testament to that

- Paying the living wage and Save the Children sponsorship (under the previous regime, we didn't pay players on time and were sponsored by Wonga. Wonga FFS)

- Regular communication with the fans: the exact opposite of her predecessor

- Trying to create a wholesome, family image - because like it or not, that's what increases gates in today's football

- And yes, this too. Because she sees it as part of her idea of professionalism.

She's warm, open, friendly, approachable - and she's trying to create a club which has those values at its core. I entirely understand why this rubs so many up the wrong way - and any owner who congratulates Hibs is making a major rod for their own backs. But while the previous owner said all the right things about Hibs (in fact, he trolled them senseless by ignoring them and treating them as an irrelevance), he also almost killed the club stone dead.

We took the rough with the smooth with Vlad. We have to do the same with Budge too. Such is life. The danger, though, is if her perceived softness permeates the whole footballing side of things. That's what really makes people angry. It's fine to be nice - but never, ever only nice. Football is, after all, about competition and winning; and soft touches get walked all over.

In football, to be hated is to exist. It's not a crime that she doesn't understand that - but she musn't ever let her own idealism affect what this club must always be all about. Being the best it can be on the pitch; what happens off it is always secondary.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Anne does not hate Hibs like the majority of us. Her Father was a Hibby and her partner is a Hibby. Whilst I am sure she understands the rivalry there is no doubt she doesn't feel it like most of us but that's not a crime.

She is doing a great job and I for one thank her. 

If you hate anyone because of what football team they support you are missing out on life. 

Plenty hibs are dicks, just like some hibs are OK, Hearts fans also follow this, some good guys, some wanks. 

Shouldn't there be a special sticky thread for Hearts supporters and others who want to run down the Hearts?

Surely they would be in their element and not have to cope with irritants like me and thousands of others who love the Hearts and only ever offer constructive criticism when things could be better.

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Ach, it's just Ann. Owners mould football clubs in their own image. In her case, it's about:

- Building a self-sustaining club which funds itself and never again makes the blunders of the past

- Paying the living wage and Save the Children sponsorship (under the previous regime, we didn't pay players on time and were sponsored by Wonga. Wonga FFS)

- Trying to create a wholesome, family image - because like it or not, that's what increases gates in today's football

- And yes, this too. Because she sees it as part of her idea of professionalism.

She's warm, open, friendly, approachable - and she's trying to create a club which has those values at its core. I entirely understand why this rubs so many up the wrong way - and any owner who congratulates Hibs is making a major rod for their own backs. But while the previous owner said all the right things about Hibs (in fact, he trolled them senseless by ignoring them and treating them as an irrelevance), he also almost killed the club stone dead.

We took the rough with the smooth with Vlad. We have to do the same with Budge too. Such is life. The danger, though, is if her perceived softness permeates the whole footballing side of things. I think it's that which really makes people angry. It's fine to be nice - but never, ever only nice. Football is, after all, about competition and winning; and soft touches get walked all over. In football, to be hated is to exist. It's not a crime that she doesn't understand that - but she musn't ever let her own idealism affect what this club must always be all about. Being the best it can be.

Far too long - again.!!!!!

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

We took the rough with the smooth with Vlad. We have to do the same with Budge too. Such is life. The danger, though, is if her perceived softness permeates the whole footballing side of things. I think it's that which really makes people angry. It's fine to be nice - but never, ever only nice. Football is, after all, about competition and winning; and soft touches get walked all over. In football, to be hated is to exist. It's not a crime that she doesn't understand that - but she musn't ever let her own idealism affect what this club must always be all about. Being the best it can be.

Ok, then turns to Mince. 

Ann can do that. 

Our manager, Craig is perfectly capable of ensuring the football side knows what rivalry is and winding up all the bams from hibs, rangers, celtic and sport scene. 

Ann does not need to get involved in this. 

That is called class. 

Craig bamming up Lennon, Rogers and Naismith booting brown in the baws is testament to the fact Ann can act on a higher plain while the football folk do what they do. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Ok, then turns to Mince. 

Ann can do that. 

Our manager, Craig is perfectly capable of ensuring the football side knows what rivalry is and winding up all the bams from hibs, rangers, celtic and sport scene. 

Ann does not need to get involved in this. 

That is called class. 

Craig bamming up Lennon, Rogers and Naismith booting brown in the baws is testament to the fact Ann can act on a higher plain while the football folk do what they do. 

Shock horror, I agree!

Especially given that Craig bamming up Lennon worked a treat. For the most recent derby, at least. 

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Agreed.  We as a club are becoming soft and a lot of this is down to embarrassing statements from Budge. The fact she seems to think Hibs finishing 4th is some sort of success says it all.  I just hope this mindset doesn't rub off on our players next season.

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Far too long - again.!!!!!

Shouldn't there be a special sticky thread for Hearts supporters and others who don't have the attention span to deal with posts of more than a few sentences?

Surely they would be in their element and not have to cope with irritants like me and others who love the Hearts and try to provide context and empathy when our owner is being criticised?