The Betfred Cup 2018

...a bit disco

1 hour ago, been here before said:

We didnt beat Peterhead but beat Aberdeen and Celtic... and Elgin.

I know, but not beating Peterhead and Dunfermline and not getting out the group stage was the final nail that led to us changing managers.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitch41

• letsalldothebeattie

• been here before

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Even if only 2 or 3 wins allows us to win our group?

Chance to build momentum against low league teams.

2 hours ago, TurboT said:

I would be disappointed. 

4 games against lower league opposition with the second seeds at home. 

3 wins and a draw as a minimum should be the aim

4 wins out of 4 is what we should always be looking for when playing lower league opposition. Settling for 2 or 3 is strange, regardless of whether it’s enough to win the group or not.

Would be nice to build some confidence and momentum and get off to a flyer next season. 

2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

It's just a really negative attitude to have.

Celtic at home, yes. We'll pump them, like we should have again, before Madden decided that was a good game to play his cheating card

The negative attitude is being happy to only win 50% of games against part time players, regardless of topping the group or not.

Quite fancy giving Utd a right hammering at Tynie.

Hopefully we get more accessible away games this season too. 

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Am I correct in saying that we will be in a group with 1 second seed and 2 non seeded teams?

3 non seeded its groups of 5 

Famous 1874
1 minute ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

3 non seeded its groups of 5 

Ah thanks. Hopefully the teams we get won't be too far away.

been here before
21 minutes ago, TurboT said:

I know, but not beating Peterhead and Dunfermline and not getting out the group stage was the final nail that led to us changing managers.

Aye but your argument was if we cant beat Peterhead then we cant beat Rangers, Aberdeen and the like.

letsalldothebeattie
2 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Ah thanks. Hopefully the teams we get won't be too far away.

Fingers crossed. Especially if it’s like last season and away games are midweek

Bunny Munro

A lot of people getting wound up about how many of these games we win.

Priorities should be;

1) qualify

2) get the most out of these games as possible to prepare for the season proper.

If CL wants to use the final game - once we've qualified - to play the kids, or to try a new formation, or try someone in a new position, then why shouldn't he? Even if we lose. 

Absolute Scenes
26 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

The negative attitude is being happy to only win 50% of games against part time players, regardless of topping the group or not.

I didn't say I'd be happy with 50% of games won

I was merely raising a point which was that the season has barely ended and a few fellow supporters, in my opinion, were already finding ways they could set an unfair pedestal for our manager to fail on...that was all

Anyway...

If we don't win all games by more than 6 goals, season ticket getting binned

5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I didn't say I'd be happy with 50% of games won

I was merely raising a point which was that the season has barely ended and a few fellow supporters, in my opinion, were already finding ways they could set an unfair pedestal for our manager to fail on...that was all

Anyway...

If we don't win all games by more than 6 goals, season ticket getting binned

Unfair pedestal? Beating 4 lower league teams, 2 of which will be at home, is unfair? ?

Aye but your argument was if we cant beat Peterhead then we cant beat Rangers, Aberdeen and the like.

I know, the end of the previous season with Cathro, the only team I remember beating was Hamilton and we only managed one draw with Partick post split.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Unfair pedestal? Beating 4 lower league teams, 2 of which will be at home, is unfair? ?

Last year only Motherwell from the SPL won all four of their Betfair Cup games

Edited by scott herbertson

On 14/05/2018 at 16:18, ...a bit disco said:

Key dates announced.

? The #BetfredCup Group Stage draw for Season 18/19 will take place on Friday 25 May and will be broadcast live on @btsport 2 at 6.30pm. The 40-team Group Stage includes the 38 #SPFL clubs not involved in European competition along with @CoveRangersFC and @spartansfc ⚽

#BetfredCup Group Stage fixture rounds will be as follows:

Match Day 1 – Weekend of Saturday July 14

Match Day 2 – Tuesday/Wednesday July 17/18

Match Day 3 – Weekend of Saturday July 21

Match Day 4 – Tuesday/Wednesday July 24/25

Match Day 5 – Weekend of Saturday July 28

Remaining key dates for the #BetfredCup are as follows:

Second round – Weekend of Saturday August 18

Quarter-finals – Tue/Wed/Thu September 25/26/27

Semi-finals – Saturday/Sunday October 27/28

Final – Sunday December 2

Why a sunday final it's madness.

Give the fans a saturday final.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Dunfermline were close to doing it as well ☹️

scott herbertson
Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Dunfermline were close to doing it as well ☹️

yep, try not to think about these games

42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Dundee United or Dunfermline, Arbroath and Cove would be my preferred group.

Dunfemline, Raith Rovers, Cowdenbeath with Edinburgh City at Tynie to give them a few quid.

I like going over the new bridge to Fife ok. 

Edited by mitch41

been here before
31 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

In what way is it "madness"?

Its been that way loads of times ober the years and it seems to work. 

Im surprised you've not found a reason to blame Hearts for it yet.

Edited by been here before

Shanks said no
29 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Great pies at Dunfermline.

if we are drawn v the Pars it will be at Tynecastle

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

What’s your point?

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

What’s your point?

My point is that of the eight SPL teams in the Betfair cup qualifiers last year only 1 got all points (and as far as I can work out only two won their groups

So its a bit simplistic to say we ought to win all 4 games easily or we will have failed it we don't. We would be favourites to do so, but early season there are always upsets and the wee tea,s are always very up for their games against us.

I'm not happy if we don't win any game, but I don't expect us to win every game against lower opposition

3 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

A lot of people getting wound up about how many of these games we win.

Priorities should be;

1) qualify

2) get the most out of these games as possible to prepare for the season proper.

If CL wants to use the final game - once we've qualified - to play the kids, or to try a new formation, or try someone in a new position, then why shouldn't he? Even if we lose. 

I agree with your 2 priorities, but do not support your final point. We should be aiming for 4 wins by playing the "best" available team from our squad

Reason - Top 4 sides from the 8 Groups are seeded in 1st Knock Out Round & builds confidence for start of League programme. Surely it is better to avoid Ceptic, The Rangers, The Sheep, H1b5 & potentially 3 other Premiership sides.

It's about time we won this competition. We destroyed the "Invicibles" 69 game unbeaten domestic record last season. It would be nice to be the team which puts an end to the Treble, Treble dreams with the added benefit of putting the slavers Rodgers & Broony back in their box.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

I agree with your 2 priorities, but do not support your final point. We should be aiming for 4 wins by playing the "best" available team from our squad

Reason - Top 4 sides from the 8 Groups are seeded in 1st Knock Out Round & builds confidence for start of League programme. Surely it is better to avoid Ceptic, The Rangers, The Sheep, H1b5 & potentially 3 other Premiership sides.

It's about time we won this competition. We destroyed the "Invicibles" 69 game unbeaten domestic record last season. It would be nice to be the team which puts an end to the Treble, Treble dreams with the added benefit of putting the slavers Rodgers & Broony back in their box.

would be great and I agree we should go all out to win this

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Prediction

Hearts

Dundee Utd

Stirling Albion

Cove Rangers 

And the 5th team??

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And the 5th team??

My crystal ball got cloudy 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

In what way is it "madness"?

Its been that way loads of times ober the years and it seems to work. 

Im surprised you've not found a reason to blame Hearts for it yet.

I know you have it in for me but nobody wants a sunday final. Sunday is for parading the cup. So that's a wee drink on Friday night, a wee drink Saturday morning in club before bus then Glasgow pub. A Celebration drink in Gorgie waiting for the team coming home with cup. A party at someone's (not mine). Then up to Haymarket sunday morning for a session before cheering the team along to Tynie. In Tynie hopefully if not locked out then another party (not mine) to celebrate the cup win. Monday is recovery day.

IT HAS TO BE SATURDAY OK.

Edited by mitch41

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

if we are drawn v the Pars it will be at Tynecastle

Oh well just a thought.

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I know you have it in for me but nobody wants a sunday final. Sunday is for parading the cup. So that's a wee drink on Friday night, a wee drink Saturday morning in club before bus then Glasgow pub. A Celebration drink in Gorgie waiting for the team coming home with cup. A party at someone's (not mine). Then up to Haymarket sunday morning for a session before cheering the team along to Tynie. In Tynie hopefully if not locked out then another party (not mine) to celebrate the cup win. Monday is recovery day.

When was the last time the MMC Final was played on a Saturday? In 1996, FFS, it was on a Sunday!

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

When was the last time the MMC Final was played on a Saturday? In 1996, FFS, it was on a Sunday!

So what it should be a saturday ok.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So bloody what Geoff?

been here before
25 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Right so it doesnt suit you, your inability to go without a drink and your generally miserable existence, fair enough.

But in what way is it "madness"?

Edited by been here before

TyphoonJambo

Right so it doesnt suit you, your inability to go without a drink and your generally miserable existence, fair enough.

I’m with Mitch, his timetable sounds the most fun. Not big and not clever, but sounds like a good weekend to me.

6 hours ago, mitch41 said:

An awful lot of madness over the years then.

Here is a good question = When was the last time the LC Final was played on a Saturday ?

Whats the matter with you gadgy. Miserable me.......ha ha. Hearts win i party. Hearts lose i'm unhappy. 

Don't you like a sunday when the cup is paraded from the City Chambers to Tynie. Tens of thousands line the streets to celebrate. Your just not a party animal.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

An awful lot of madness over the years then.

Here is a good question = When was the last time the LC Final was played on a Saturday ?

Who cares it should be a saturday.

41 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I’m with Mitch, his timetable sounds the most fun. Not big and not clever, but sounds like a good weekend to me.

TypoonJambo is a typical Jambo who loves celebrating Hearts winning a cup.

We're having  a party and the Hibees are in their beds.

millerjames398

Think my highlight of the group stages was my mate goin arse over tit coming down the stairs at section g before the east Fife game in the down pour, ended up with a small crowd round him at the bottom of the stairs and broke his iPhone ,absolutely hilarious, lucky he never cracked his head mind you???

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

So bloody what Geoff?

Morgan is a true Jambo. Win the cup on a saturday and have a parade on the sunday. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Spot on. 

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, JCR said:

Bet we get some horror draw like ICT, Elgin & Cove. Hope we’re considered south next year.

This "regional" idea is a joke.

It's clear it doesn't work due to the fact that there are not enough teams in each area.

If they insist on continuing with this then the least they can do is use a bit of common sense (I know) and not schedule midweek games for teams at the opposite ends of the country

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, JCR said:

Bet we get some horror draw like ICT, Elgin & Cove. Hope we’re considered south next year.

This "regional" idea is a joke.

It's clear it doesn't work due to the fact that there are not enough teams in each area.

If they insist on continuing with this then the least they can do is use a bit of common sense (I know) and not schedule midweek games for teams at the opposite ends of the country