The Betfred Cup 2018

...a bit disco

...a bit disco

Key dates announced.

? The #BetfredCup Group Stage draw for Season 18/19 will take place on Friday 25 May and will be broadcast live on @btsport 2 at 6.30pm. The 40-team Group Stage includes the 38 #SPFL clubs not involved in European competition along with @CoveRangersFC and @spartansfc ⚽

#BetfredCup Group Stage fixture rounds will be as follows:

Match Day 1 – Weekend of Saturday July 14

Match Day 2 – Tuesday/Wednesday July 17/18

Match Day 3 – Weekend of Saturday July 21

Match Day 4 – Tuesday/Wednesday July 24/25

Match Day 5 – Weekend of Saturday July 28

Remaining key dates for the #BetfredCup are as follows:

Second round – Weekend of Saturday August 18

Quarter-finals – Tue/Wed/Thu September 25/26/27

Semi-finals – Saturday/Sunday October 27/28

Final – Sunday December 2

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitch41

• letsalldothebeattie

• been here before

• Mikey1874

Good to know we have to 14th July to complete new pitch.....:thumbsup:

Need to book 3rd December off as well for the celebrations......bookmark it :robbo:

Still embarrassed about our performance in the league cup last season. God knows how we allowed that incompetent fraud to stay in a job for 8 months. 

been here before

Please be a bit more sensible about the group sections. We are not a team from the 'north'.

Whilst Elgin and Peterhead are nice wee places and both games were blessed with lovely weather, Elgin in particular, Ive no desire to go careering up that neck of the woods again on 2 consecutive Tueday nights.

Edited by been here before

I've almost resigned myself to never seeing Hearts win it. Bloody awful record in it since we last won it (before I was born). 

In my 40+ years as a fan we've reached the final just twice and and the semi final about a dozen times. 

Still, you never know. 

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Might get a game on my birthday :pleasing:

Obviously only a good thing if we win.

Didn't think Hearts would ever play competitively on my birthday (6 July) but we did two years ago. 4-2 at Infotel, or whatever they were called. 

14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Please be a bit more sensible about the group sections. We are not a team from the 'north'.

Whilst Elgin and Peterhead are nice wee places and both games were blessed with lovely weather, Elgin in particular, Ive no desire to go careering up that neck of the woods again on 2 consecutive Tueday nights.

Peterhead was ****ing freezing. Honestly could’ve easily been a game in winter.

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Peterhead was ****ing freezing. Honestly could’ve easily been a game in winter.

Ha...it wasn't that bad...maybe the performance sucked all the warm fuzzy feeling from your body!!!

I actually enjoyed the trips north, nice to see some different grounds. I expect we will be north again, the balance of clubs means that some south based clubs will be. To be fair much easier for a full time club like us to make these trips rather than part time who need to take a lot of time off to get these ties played...

1 minute ago, Nathan2012 said:

We kick off our new season the Day before the World Cup Final. 

Imagine if our summer world cup star wont be ready for the new season

35 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We should concentrate on winning our qualifying group next season. 

FTFY

St Johnstone, Ross County & Dundee will be three of the four seeded “North Teams”

I assume out of us, Motherwell, Hamilton, Partick & Killie that we’ll be classed as North again.

Obviously Motherwell could win the cup and Hibs may get put in the north section.

How can the do the draw on a geographical basis when they don't know whether Motherwell or Hibs will be competing ?

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

How can the do the draw on a geographical basis when they don't know whether Motherwell or Hibs will be competing ?

the cup final is the week before, so they will know which one

Saint Jambo
45 minutes ago, TurboT said:

St Johnstone, Ross County & Dundee will be three of the four seeded “North Teams”

I assume out of us, Motherwell, Hamilton, Partick & Killie that we’ll be classed as North again.

Obviously Motherwell could win the cup and Hibs may get put in the north section.

If Celtic win the cup, I think it is safe to assume we will be in the 'north' grouping as in reality it was a north/ east vs south/ west split last time. If Motherwell win then unclear how they would decide which of us or Hibs is north vs south.

Back before the WC has finished.  At least there will be something to do the day before the WC/Wimbledon (I think) final.  Fab timing. 

Maroon Sailor

Cove Rangers away first game would do. Might scrape a draw and win the shoot out

2 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Still embarrassed about our performance in the league cup last season. God knows how we allowed that incompetent fraud to stay in a job for 8 months. 

Thats harsh.  A rookie coach, gave it his best shot, but failed. Hardly a fraud!

Still have nightmares about that cup final against st mirren.  Would love to see us lift this trophy.

20 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Still have nightmares about that cup final against st mirren.  Would love to see us lift this trophy.

I was on  12 hour nights in Afghan so I stayed up after my shift finished to watch it and was left gutted . 

Then a couple days later got chatting to the tidy wee bird driving the fuel truck . Turned out she was a st Mirren fan and got stuck in . And she taunted  me for the rest of my tour out the window of her truck every time she passed ! 

SectionDJambo

I remember, as a young boy, watching John Cumming lifting the League Cup on tv, after beating Kilmarnock. Grandad made a comment about us winning “that” again. 

Much as though I’ve enjoyed the 3 Scottish Cups I’ve seen us win, it is a wee frustration sometimes, to think I just missed out by a few years on seeing the club’s golden period.

It must have been great to witness for those around at the time. Shows how badly the club was run, in the 60s, that we fell into oblivion after the Kilmarnock game in 1965.

Unlike some of the “it’s only a diddy cup” people, I think our lack of success in this, the easiest trophy to win, is terrible. We actually went a very long time, not even qualifying out of the old groups, after the last win.

been here before

It would be nice to win it but in all honesty I really couldnt care that much about the League Cup.

Edited by been here before

JamboGraham
33 minutes ago, been here before said:

It would be nice to win it but in all honesty I really couldnt care that much about the League Cup.

I have seen a few comments like this over the years on JKB (usually after we get knocked out).

Can I ask why? As a club there are realistically only two trophies we could expect to have a shot at winning. Why don’t you care that much about one of them?

Not having a go...genuinely intrigued....

5 hours ago, Barack said:

We should be ok. Iran won't be winning it.

As a half Iranian...You're right :sob:

On the upside though, theyd be plenty ready for the new season when they go out at the group stage :)

5 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Ha...it wasn't that bad...maybe the performance sucked all the warm fuzzy feeling from your body!!!

I actually enjoyed the trips north, nice to see some different grounds. I expect we will be north again, the balance of clubs means that some south based clubs will be. To be fair much easier for a full time club like us to make these trips rather than part time who need to take a lot of time off to get these ties played...

I recall it being pleasant enough going up but once that sun set as the game wore on, the winds coming in the ground were Baltic!

In some respects I enjoyed the trip up there, but probably my most miserable night supporting Hearts.

James1874f
11 hours ago, been here before said:

I live in Elgin so I wasn’t complaining last season.

Ive not paid much attentionto the LC. How did Hearts end up in the North section anyway ? Did St Johnstone get put in the same same section ? 

been here before
7 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I have seen a few comments like this over the years on JKB (usually after we get knocked out).

Can I ask why? As a club there are realistically only two trophies we could expect to have a shot at winning. Why don’t you care that much about one of them?

Not sure to be honest, probably a few reasons. Times were you'd qualify for Europe by winning it but not anymore.

The format of the tournament has been mucked about and played with so often over the years its devalued it to some extent.

It doesnt have the pedigree or the history of the Scottish Cup. The games have traditionally been played midweek which detracts a little from that sense of occasion.

No-one ever grew up dreaming of lifting the League Cup.

As I said it would be nice to win but Im really not all that fussed.

My half sister

I get the geographical split and how it helps the fans but if we are in the North section, can the Computer that fixes the fixtures have a wee bit of common  sense this year.

Last year they had us in the highlands on 2 midweek nights thus reducing the crowds quite considerably and had us playing East Fife and Pars on Saturdays. Why not make the local games happen midweek? Everyone benefits. 

Mars plastic

There will be a three page supplement in next season’s ST brochure if we get to the semis.  

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, My half sister said:

I get the geographical split and how it helps the fans but if we are in the North section, can the Computer that fixes the fixtures have a wee bit of common  sense this year.

Last year they had us in the highlands on 2 midweek nights thus reducing the crowds quite considerably and had us playing East Fife and Pars on Saturdays. Why not make the local games happen midweek? Everyone benefits. 

You're calling for a sensible approach which will help fans who want to attend matches.

You do realise this is the Scottish league you're talking about.

portobellojambo1
16 hours ago, been here before said:

You are trying to apply common sense in your thoughts, and within Scottish football circles common sense doesn't really come into consideration. Up North isn't a problem, if there were two fixtures and these were both allocated weekend dates, and there are three weekends to choose from. That way, if it is a couple of Highland based teams the numbers attending would be much higher, meaning both the local club and economy would get a boost. Then the two midweek dates could be used for fixtures where the two clubs participating are reasonably close to each other.

letsalldothebeattie

Can’t wait for this to come round. Hopefully a few decent away days in the group stage and a run to the final as well

Anyone know what section we will be in this year? North again? Or South?

Edited by letsalldothebeattie

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

We've Been  embarrassing in that cup for far too long tbh. 

Peterhead last season, St mitten beat us in our last final there.. The ICT semi final with 9 men. 

Ridiculous record in that tournament. 

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

We've Been  embarrassing in that cup for far too long tbh. 

Peterhead last season, St mitten beat us in our last final there.. The ICT semi final with 9 men. 

Ridiculous record in that tournament. 

Got to agree. While last season was massively embarrassing it basically sums up our league cup record it’s embarrassing. It’s a Cup we should be trying to win every season 

Maroon Sailor
13 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

It's all bullshit

It wasn't the case when losing to St Mirren in the final and to 9 men Inverness in the SF. Pissed off and angry is how I felt.

I remember the Tennant Sixes. Everybody cared about winning that so I don't buy the I don't care about the League cup crap.

As sad as it sounds, these games will define our season. If we fail to get out the groups like last year, Levein will be sacked as per Ian Cathro. That will be a pre season wasted, again, and another rebuild needed. I know that levein and the club will be well aware of this and will want to get the business done early in the transfer window to make sure as much time with the new guys as possible. Look at what the run in the cup done for Hibs season. They started on fire in that competition and it was the building block for their season. A competition we shouldn’t be under estimating. 

BelgeJambo
On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:15, auldy19 said:

I was on  12 hour nights in Afghan so I stayed up after my shift finished to watch it and was left gutted . 

Then a couple days later got chatting to the tidy wee bird driving the fuel truck . Turned out she was a st Mirren fan and got stuck in . And she taunted  me for the rest of my tour out the window of her truck every time she passed ! 

Nail it?

1 minute ago, Mars plastic said:

No danger we're winning this. The manager has already said another season of pain awaits.

Might just be so we get good betting odds on winning it... :whistling: