Titles/Relegations being sealed

Thommo414

That time of the year again as the first major European league was won yesterday by Bayern Munich (again) while a 2nd half meltdown now (if I'm not mistaken) means City won't be able to win the epl in record time.

Scottish Championship almost wrapped up at both ends (St Mirren 1 point away)

Wonder if there will be any title races or relegation fights still to come by the time we reach the last couple of weeks of the season...

9 minutes ago, Boof said:

I remember a team winning their title in 2015 before the clocks changed .

Remember it fondly!

11 minutes ago, Boof said:

:D

Indeed.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Titles being won, relegation being sealed and yet in Scotland we still don't know the final fixture locations or dates for our Premier league due to our footballing authorities being scared of our countries largest clubs causing mayhem. 

LarrysRightFoot
31 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

That time of the year again as the first major European league was won yesterday by Bayern Munich (again) while a 2nd half meltdown now (if I'm not mistaken) means City won't be able to win the epl in record time.

Wonder if there will be any title races or relegation fights still to come by the time we reach the last couple of weeks of the season...

I don’t mind (like in our case of winning the championship) the off anomaly of a team winning the title in record but in the cases of Bayern and PSG (did they not officially win their league last week?) I find it horrible.

Its the type of thing that when I think about it too much makes me not like modern football.

Just now, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

Titles being won, relegation being sealed and yet in Scotland we still don't know the final fixture locations or dates for our Premier league due to our footballing authorities being scared of our countries largest clubs causing mayhem. 

Not only that, but whilst the EPL wee bigging the fact than Man City could have won the league by beating their local rivals, our authorities are panicking about the same thing happening here and trying to avoid it, since their fans cannot be trusted.  

13 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t mind (like in our case of winning the championship) the off anomaly of a team winning the title in record but in the cases of Bayern and PSG (did they not officially win their league last week?) I find it horrible.

Its the type of thing that when I think about it too much makes me not like modern football.

Nothing won in France yet. It's one of those which is still mathematically possible yet very improbable.

If you think these are bad, an Egyptian pal of mines recently informed me that his team (Al Ahly) wrapped up their 40th league title about a month ago

15 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Not only that, but whilst the EPL wee bigging the fact than Man City could have won the league by beating their local rivals, our authorities are panicking about the same thing happening here and trying to avoid it, since their fans cannot be trusted.  

I can understand the desire to avoid what would be the biggest display of public violence and disorder since the post referendum fallout in 2014...but since i don't live in Glasgow, I couldn't care less if they burn the place down 

letsalldothebeattie
21 minutes ago, Locky said:

Bury set to be the first team in England to go down. 1 defeat away.

Was convinced for a long time that would be Sunderland somehow seem to be turning a corner lately 

Just now, letsalldothebeattie said:

Was convinced for a long time that would be Sunderland somehow seem to be turning a corner lately 

Think I saw they could go down on Tuesday but only if all results go against them.

LarrysRightFoot
9 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Nothing won in France yet. It's one of those which is still mathematically possible yet very improbable.

If you think these are bad, an Egyptian pal of mines recently informed me that his team (Al Ahly) wrapped up their 40th league title about a month ago

Football needs to be changed to ensure there’s competition.

Not a fan of American sports but at least they are competitive.

53 minutes ago, Boof said:

My memory is a bit hazy, who was that again Boof?

16 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Delaying the inevitable with those wins. An utterly pish side whose luck has finally run out 

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Delaying the inevitable with those wins. An utterly pish side whose luck has finally run out 

Exactly my thoughts. Finally got what they deserved for years last season and hopefully same again this 

48 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

wasn't it their cup psg won last week?

Just now, letsalldothebeattie said:

Exactly my thoughts. Finally got what they deserved for years last season and hopefully same again this 

They really were a nothing team in that league who would somehow pull it out of nowhere to survive, often undeservedly. Makes it all the more pleasing that on the 2 occasions in recent memory that Newcastle have suffered relegation, they've immediately come back, as champions no less

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

League cup, I think. In the semi of the French cup against Caen, winner will play whoever comes through the other (all third tier) semi final. That game could be embarrassing (hopefully for psg) 

Millwall charging for a play off place having been short odds for relegation at the start of the year

51 minutes ago, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

Our game never progresses until this addressed. Why do we have to dance to the tune of two clubs who would be off in a minute?  I despise what those two do to our game and Scottish society in general.  It's  brutal feeling powerless over this.  Two arse cheeks that have never been wiped.  Bassas  

3fingersreid
Just now, Elmore said:

Our game never progresses until this addressed. Why do we have to dance to the tune of two clubs who would be off in a minute?  I despise what those two do to our game and Scottish society in general.  It's  brutal feeling powerless over this.  Two arse cheeks that have never been wiped.  Bassas  

Totally agree with this and the previous posters in berating the lack of clarity in the fixtures dates . Scottish football had the chance to change big style when rangers went to the bottom league but pretty much every club bottled it to change the voting systems back then , the only hope of change now is if rangers collapse again ????or better still both the ugly sisters piss off elsewhere to play and poison another league 

AlphonseCapone
13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I'm sure Governor Tarkin is seething, in indescribable pain and almost in tears that he missed a 2-0 home win in an irrelevant end of season dead rubber. Of course he is.

:cornette: 

It's really weird you felt the need to jump on that bandwagon, even after the guy came back on and had responded himself. 

As for your hyperbole, it was actually a very enjoyable game. The point as always, is to go and support Hearts when they play, not just when it's deemed 'important'. 

38 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

M I can understand the desire to avoid what would be the biggest display of public violence and disorder since the post referendum fallout in 2014...but since i don't live in Glasgow, I couldn't care less if they burn the place down 

I honestly can't understand why we accept it. They shouldn't hold power over Scottish society and  it's laws. You can take the piss out of Glasgow, but it seems you can't take Glasgow out of the piss. 

3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Totally agree with this and the previous posters in berating the lack of clarity in the fixtures dates . Scottish football had the chance to change big style when rangers went to the bottom league but pretty much every club bottled it to change the voting systems back then , the only hope of change now is if rangers collapse again ????or better still both the ugly sisters piss off elsewhere to play and poison another league 

The sad thing is.  For people of our generation it means we are stuck with this shite in our game for life. I suppose there is a wee bit of hope due to the excellent journalism in this country...

4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I honestly can't understand why we accept it. They shouldn't hold power over Scottish society and  it's laws. You can take the piss out of Glasgow, but it seems you can't take Glasgow out of the piss. 

Trying hard to compare it to a similar situation in another country but would you honestly be surprised if I told you I couldn't think of one?

shaun.lawson
8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's really weird you felt the need to jump on that bandwagon, even after the guy came back on and had responded himself. 

As for your hyperbole, it was actually a very enjoyable game. The point as always, is to go and support Hearts when they play, not just when it's deemed 'important'. 

It's even weirder that you posted that response in a thread I'd not even been on.

:wtf:

1 minute ago, Thommo414 said:

Trying hard to compare it to a similar situation in another country but would you honestly be surprised if I told you I couldn't think of one?

Of course there isn't another country to compare it to. It gives our game a 'unique selling point'. Tragic, isn't it.  

4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Of course there isn't another country to compare it to. It gives our game a 'unique selling point'. Tragic, isn't it.  

Very, very much so

27 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

League cup, I think. In the semi of the French cup against Caen, winner will play whoever comes through the other (all third tier) semi final. That game could be embarrassing (hopefully for psg) 

yep, just checked beat monaco 3-0 in their league cup final on 31st march

EPL a great example of how feeding everyone in the league with millions still has the same outcome, title wrapped up weeks ago, champions league spots sealed last weekend, 2 relegation places to be decided and thats about it.

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

EPL a great example of how feeding everyone in the league with millions still has the same outcome, title wrapped up weeks ago, champions league spots sealed last weekend, 2 relegation places to be decided and thats about it.

EPL a weaker example than all other major European leagues, given it's been won by three different sides in the last three years, and very nearly five in the last six. 

If, however, we come back in 5 years, City have won 4 titles out of 5, and the top 4's remained the same throughout, fair enough. But that won't be the case.

LarrysRightFoot
59 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

My bad - thought it was as the league.

However, like the Spanish, English and unfortunately now the Italian league it’s only a matter of time.

I think in Scotland we think it’s only our league that is corrupt but German and Spanish fans feel the same.

The only reason the EPL has been relatively competitive in the last few years is because of teams being Billionaires play things.

Im almost at the point where I want them to make some kind of European super league because after an initial surge of interest I think it would be a massive flop. The champions league is almost a prossesion now - you may get 2 or 3 surprise QFs but that’s it. 

25 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

The epl to me is still very much unpredictable as to which specific team will win it, but you know it will always be one of about 3 teams these days. Although Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool have all finished 2nd in the last few years. Man United not been close since Fergusons retirement 

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Football needs to be changed to ensure there’s competition.

Not a fan of American sports but at least they are competitive.

Luxury Tax in Baseball , salary caps in American Football both of those would be like a magnitude 10 earthquake to UEFA and to the imbalance of competitveness in football. TV Markets would still dictate to some degree but not nearly as much. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's even weirder that you posted that response in a thread I'd not even been on.

:wtf:

Clearly a technological mix up. Hardly that weird tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another intriguing one is the SPFL League 2 v Highland/ Lowland League play off. 

Cowdenbeath in League 2 bottom position though won yesterday. Spartans, once favourites to be admitted directly, are battling with East Kilbride for the Lowland League. 

http://slfl.co.uk/playoff-dates-confirmed/

I've always rooted for the junior side in that particular tie. Was glad to see City get into the spfl and have been rooting on Spartans to hold off East Kilbride. Having said that, even if they fail, I'll still want East Kilbride to beat Cowdenbeath  (should they beat their highland counterparts of course)

6 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

I've always rooted for the junior side in that particular tie. Was glad to see City get into the spfl and have been rooting on Spartans to hold off East Kilbride. Having said that, even if they fail, I'll still want East Kilbride to beat Cowdenbeath  (should they beat their highland counterparts of course)

Cove Rangers have won the Highland League 

maroonexile
7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meanwhile Hamburg are facing first relegation in their 100 year history.

5 points away from the play off place though they win yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/german-bundesliga/table

They have a huge clock in the stadium counting the time they have been in the Bundesliga.

Wouldnt like to be the poor **** that has to reset it.....

michael_bolton

Many 'purists' (who arguably don't know their football history) are against play-offs, but it's looking increasingly like they could be the answer.

Ditch the cup competitions, which many clubs and fans completely disrespect anyway, and finish the season with a knock-out play-off to pick the winner.

We do this with the World Cup, the Euros, the Champions League etc, and nobody bats an eyelid. Leagues are no longer fit for purpose in the world of modern football, and the lack of competition around Europe, and further afield, shows this. The imbalance is too great. Football needs competition.

That Championship season.  So much focus on a revitalised Hearts being there with a comic Hibs and an embarrassed Rangers.  With the top division a 1 horse race, all the focus was on us.

Still find it hard to believe that we effectively won it in November with a  2-0 win over a disgusting Rangers performance.  They really set out to maim that day.

Who will forget Genaro?  Who will forget the timing of the passing of Dave Mackay and the truly historic nature of his service?  Who will forget the 40 yard tap in at the Giro.

Thats how you win a league.  5 months to spare.

I reckon the SPFL are more scared that the title ISN'T won by Celtic if they're given Rangers first game after the split. Most Rangers fans I know desperately want to beat Celtic in the semi and couldn't give a shiny shite when the title is clinched as that's long gone for Rangers. However, they'd gladly give it the GIRFUY if they stopped it and I reckon it's the reaction from the Celtic fans the beaks fear. 

It can kick off at anytime between those two scummy sets but there's far more likelihood of bother in Weegieville next Sunday, and the popcorn is in the microwave...

Nookie Bear

The major leagues will be won at a canter by the same teams until they get together and tell everyone else "tell you what lads, it's not fair that we win everything in sight so why don't we go and form our own Euro league and you diddy teams can fight over the national league"

And, just like that, the Euro league will be formed. Within a short while, it will be expanded to include all the usual European suspects.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:31, Thommo414 said:

For a team heading for near oblivion a year ago, Jack Ross has done a fantastic job.

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

For a team heading for near oblivion a year ago, Jack Ross has done a fantastic job.

Cue the "why didn't we keep him?" Posts. Agreed though, would love to see what he can do at a larger club with more resources

Man utd handing city the title with a defeat at home to the basement club. Very pleasing stuff today 

Archived