LesJambes

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

That’s good. Now please explain to me the mechanism for change. For the latter.

What, or it must have been god?

Strawman much?

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gin

• LesJambes

• deesidejambo

• Unknown user

54 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I see no benefit to mankind from religion. The god squad can make as many spurious claims they want. 

Our thinking was that back in the days when we were living in trees and caves, we needed something to explain the world around us. Where the **** does the sun go? Will it come back? Why is it now freezing and snowing, are we going to be able to grow crops again or are we going to starve? Holy shit, that mountain just exploded and killed a shit load of people, how the **** did that happen? 

Basically, in our early stages of evolution, the world would have been absolutely terrifying. A diety who made all that happen would have helped us feel better. 

Also, most religions have a set of rules and morals that people should obey otherwise their God gets pissed off. Most of them are generally good ones, don't steal, don't kill etc. If people weren't killing and stealing there'd be no need to have these rules so again in the early days of civilization, we probably needed these for law and order. 

Nowadays, we're a bit smarter so it's no longer needed. But in the beginning, it was a great bit of help to the human race. 

7 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Our thinking was that back in the days when we were living in trees and caves, we needed something to explain the world around us. Where the **** does the sun go? Will it come back? Why is it now freezing and snowing, are we going to be able to grow crops again or are we going to starve? Holy shit, that mountain just exploded and killed a shit load of people, how the **** did that happen? 

Basically, in our early stages of evolution, the world would have been absolutely terrifying. A diety who made all that happen would have helped us feel better. 

Also, most religions have a set of rules and morals that people should obey otherwise their God gets pissed off. Most of them are generally good ones, don't steal, don't kill etc. If people weren't killing and stealing there'd be no need to have these rules so again in the early days of civilization, we probably needed these for law and order. 

Nowadays, we're a bit smarter so it's no longer needed. But in the beginning, it was a great bit of help to the human race. 

Indeed. It served a purpose at a time when we lacked the ability to study things properly and work out what is really going on. But it is now outdated and unnecessary.

46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What, or it must have been god?

Strawman much?

No. Legitimate questions both.

What is the mechanism, and where did the information defer from to allow the mechanics of implementation?  Should we all not ask these questions?

I don’t believe in God and have faith in Jesus Christ because of science and its fantastic discoveries. However the understanding and light made known through scientific advancement does nothing do diminish my faith. In fact the opposite is true.

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Random mutations.

Perhaps we are not all that far apart after all.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I'm not so sure about it being a help, I don't see how believing a pile of bollocks helps anything. 

I can see how it was a comfort, as it is to many now, but would the many who've died at it's hand consider religion a help to mankind?

When we're talking religion we're talking about the earliest sacrifices, the bloody wars, the torture carried out in its name, and I can't see that any of that helped mankind. 

As a means of population control I can see how religion made things easier for those in authority, but even then someone will have to explain why that's good for the human race rather than useful for those in charge. 

Just now, Smithee said:

I'm not so sure about it being a help, I don't see how believing a pile of bollocks helps anything. 

I can see how it was a comfort, as it is to many now, but would the many who've died at it's hand consider religion a help to mankind?

When we're talking religion we're talking about the earliest sacrifices, the bloody wars, the torture carried out in its name, and I can't see that any of that helped mankind. 

As a means of population control I can see how religion made things easier for those in authority, but even then someone will have to explain why that's good for the human race rather than useful for those in charge. 

In the beginning it was essentially a means of policing people and getting them to behave how you want. However it certainly spiraled into something far more poisonous.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

No. Legitimate questions both.

What is the mechanism, and where did the information defer from to allow the mechanics of implementation?  Should we all not ask these questions?

I don’t believe in God and have faith in Jesus Christ because of science and its fantastic discoveries. However the understanding and light made known through scientific advancement does nothing do diminish my faith. In fact the opposite is true.

Perhaps we are not all that far apart after all.

Legitimate questions, but what relevance to an atheism thread if not intended to back up your position?

Personally I don't see much point in asking these questions, I don't care how we came about - even if I guessed the truth I'd never know I was right, so who cares? The only thing I do know for sure is that intelligent design is bollocks 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

In the beginning it was essentially a means of policing people and getting them to behave how you want. However it certainly spiraled into something far more poisonous.

Sounds pretty poisonous to start with - lying in order to manipulate people.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Whatever mumbo jumbo they believed in  then has been debunked. It doesn't mean otherwise intelligent people should howl at the moon, now. 

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Whatever mumbo jumbo they believed in  then has been debunked. It doesn't mean otherwise intelligent people should howl at the moon, now. 

I'd agree. But it had a time and a place in our history and development where, for me, I'd say it was a benefit. 

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

I don’t believe in God and have faith in Jesus Christ because of science and its fantastic discoveries.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I'd agree. But it had a time and a place in our history and development where, for me, I'd say it was a benefit. 

Fair enough. :thumb:

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Sorted it for you.

An intelligent faith is built on the cumulative evidence of scientific discovery, history, the bible narrative and of course personal experience.

Ironically enough, its Christians that argue that only belief in a Creator God, gives us firm ground to believe in the inductive principle in the first place. When you deny the existence of a creator, the atheists are kicking away the basis for their own argument.

As I have said before your atheistic faith is built on, stamping your feet and repeating Ad infinitum, there is no God.

You don't believe in God, but you believe in the character who claimed to be the son of God. And think, somehow, that this is 'intelligent faith'.

I don't even know where to go with this. Just....wow.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

You don't believe in God, but you believe in the character who claimed to be the son of God. And think, somehow, that this is 'intelligent faith'.

You seem to be slightly confused.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

To be fair, wasn't jesus just an ancient times great soprendo, doing fairly decent magic tricks? 

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I am. You're not making much sense.

My belief in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit is not determined primarily by my scientific understanding. I hope your confusion has been cleared.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, alfajambo said:

My belief in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit is not determined primarily by my scientific understanding. I hope your confusion has been cleared.

That seems pretty obvious tbh

deesidejambo

Curious to know what people on both sides of this debate think about the plans for Stephen Hawkings funeral and interment.

seems to me that if he was an atheist it’s an insult to his memory to have any religious ritual to his passing?

6 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

Curious to know what people on both sides of this debate think about the plans for Stephen Hawkings funeral and interment.

seems to me that if he was an atheist it’s an insult to his memory to have any religious ritual to his passing?

I suppose it's up to his family. To me it doesn't mean anything, there's some christian group that go through lists of people who have died and do some sort of Baptism woo on them to be Mormons or whatever it is. They can waste their time doing that if it makes them happy, as an atheist I wouldn't object because I genuinely don't believe it has any effect whatsoever, it's just done for the families to bring them comfort.

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

An intelligent faith is built on the cumulative evidence of scientific discovery, history, the bible narrative and of course personal experience.

Ironically enough, its Christians that argue that only belief in a Creator God, gives us firm ground to believe in the inductive principle in the first place. When you deny the existence of a creator, the atheists are kicking away the basis for their own argument.

As I have said before your atheistic faith is built on, stamping your feet and repeating Ad infinitum, there is no God.

An intelligent faith? That's an interesting term.. Religion and faith are by definition blind. 

Your religion, like most others demands belief without evidence, the very definition of faith.

No matter what scientific evidence or proof can be thrown at you, contrary to your belief, you are demanded to disregard it. Threatened in fact with eternal damnation.

No Faith isn't intelligent, it attempts to be clever by using convenient scientific facts, twisting them in it's favour. Cherry picking the science and history that backs it's assertions while ignoring the rest.

If religion was based on the cumulative evidence of scientific discover and actual proven history, it would have ceased to exist. Because the vast majority of both points to glaring inaccuracies and inconsistencies in the holy texts upon which it is based.

Science points to the impossibility of the stories told, History points to the re-writing and manipulation of the texts

1 hour ago, LesJambes said:

I suppose it's up to his family. To me it doesn't mean anything, there's some christian group that go through lists of people who have died and do some sort of Baptism woo on them to be Mormons or whatever it is. They can waste their time doing that if it makes them happy, as an atheist I wouldn't object because I genuinely don't believe it has any effect whatsoever, it's just done for the families to bring them comfort.

It's the Mormons. It's not only done to give families comfort, it's also done because they have the aim of cataloguing and retrospectively baptising everyone who has ever lived for whom there are records (concentrating first on the ancestors of current Mormons, but also including the likes of Gandhi, Hitler and Genghis Khan).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead

Great for genealogists though. :)

This thread is a bit strange. 

If just one thing happened to prove that there was a god, just one thing... All atheists would hold up their hands and say... Well, blow me, I got that wrong.. 

The problem is that there has never, and will never be anything that proves the existence of god. 

8 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

If just one thing happened to prove that there was a god, just one thing... All atheists would hold up their hands and say... Well, blow me, I got that wrong.. 

The problem is that there has never, and will never be anything that proves the existence of god. 

what-would-make-you-change-your-mind-men

deesidejambo
8 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Indeed correct.  And the same the other way round.

Two sides of the same coin.

it will never be proven there is a god.

and it will never be proven there isn’t.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

there has never, and will never be anything that proves the existence of god. 

That's because it is a lie. 

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Indeed, and while the religious will point to this as some sort of defence for their beliefs, it isn't. I could say I've got an ethereal pal called Rab who follows me around, whispering in my ear, and you can't prove otherwise, but how weak an argument is that?

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Indeed, and while the religious will point to this as some sort of defence for their beliefs, it isn't. I could say I've got an ethereal pal called Rab who follows me around, whispering in my ear, and you can't prove otherwise, but how weak an argument is that?

I believe in the big gay pink invisible unicorn that shagged all previously existing gods to death. They can't prove he doesn't exist.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

I believe in the big gay pink invisible unicorn that shagged all previously existing gods to death. They can't prove he doesn't exist.

Seems as legit as the rest TBH

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Seems as legit as the rest TBH

It's even got a book!* That's surely enough for any reasonable person to make significant changes to their life and dedicate hours per day to worshipping said character?

*Only I can read the book to you, it has to be in the dark with a torch under my chin. Any penis touching is legally covered in the user agreement

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

It's even got a book!* That's surely enough for any reasonable person to make significant changes to their life and dedicate hours per day to worshipping said character?

*Only I can read the book to you, it has to be in the dark with a torch under my chin. Any penis touching is legally covered in the user agreement

Dum dum dum dum dum!

AllAboutMormons12.jpg

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Dum dum dum dum dum!

AllAboutMormons12.jpg

:D:D  Probably the best South Park episode of all time! Followed by the Richard Dawkins one.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

:D:D  Probably the best South Park episode of all time! Followed by the Richard Dawkins one.

I dunno like

Awesomo-0.png

"Fart sequence initiated"

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Let's not forget the scientology episode

I wonder if there are Xenuists, like Scientology's version of Satanism?

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Let's not forget the scientology episode

south-park-s09e12c08-what-scientologist-

:laugh:

We are digressing a bit, but here's probably my favourite south Park character

giphy.gif

Who made you the Mayor of meh?