LesJambes

13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

One imagines that Uruguayans killed all their indigenous people with a passion and intensity few other South American colonial interlopers could match.  :whistling:

:lol:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gin

• LesJambes

• deesidejambo

• Unknown user

I think it's worth bearing in mind that Uruguay exists in the first place because the Church used religious justifications for colonising South America and killing or forcefully converting the natives.

1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

I think it's worth bearing in mind that Uruguay exists in the first place because the Church used religious justifications for colonising South America and killing or forcefully converting the natives.

No, I'm sure it has always been there.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Happy Easter!

Please try not to choke on your eggs.

Enjoy the Pagan holidays everyone :)

SwindonJambo
7 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43601925

These believers don't seem to have much faith in their god helping them, now? Hope they spend the rest of their lives in extreme pain.

100 percent agree. They complain that they won't get a fair trial. So why did they join IS in the 1st place? Odious vile scum. 

shaun.lawson
7 hours ago, LesJambes said:

I think that's dubious. I see your point - but the biggest single reason why Uruguay exists is the UK. British people are really well received here, because it was Britain that created Uruguay, as a buffer state between Brazil and Argentina.

18 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Really enjoyable post Justin, thanks hugely for that. I have nothing to add to it really - except to say, thanks for the kind words, provoking my thoughts and the background on Latvia, which is very interesting.

Incidentally, I should clarify that I'm not Scottish. The image below should give you some idea of what some people have told me I sound like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTppCta3wEs3S4sGLLcuIz

:lol: That's great!

Glad you felt my post was worthwhile! Likewise, I appreciate you wading in.

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

100 percent agree. They complain that they won't get a fair trial. So why did they join IS in the 1st place? Odious vile scum. 

I wonder if they gave a fair trial to the people they murdered?  That's a rhetorical question.

9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I think that's dubious. I see your point - but the biggest single reason why Uruguay exists is the UK. British people are really well received here, because it was Britain that created Uruguay, as a buffer state between Brazil and Argentina.

:rofl:Aye and Africa love Britain because they built them a lovely railway network.

shaun.lawson
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:Aye and Africa love Britain because they built them a lovely railway network.

It is likely that I'd know more about the place I live than someone who has no doubt never even visited. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

It is likely that I'd know more about the place I live than someone who has no doubt never even visited. 

Why? Millions of Scots know nothing about Scotland's history. Not their fault British propaganda. But hey you keep telling folk how the Empire was a force for good. :rofl:

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Only certain folk and Welsh go to South America to live.

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Only certain folk and Welsh go to South America to live.

"Certain folk"?

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

"Certain folk"?

I'll gie ye a clue. Deutschlanders on the run.

shaun.lawson
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'll gie ye a clue. Deutschlanders on the run.

You're a lunatic... but I think I like you. :) 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 3/30/2018 at 10:07, LesJambes said:

Well I for one am giddy with anticipation for your next tome on the benefits of theocracy and the evils of secularism.

Are you just trolling or do you honestly believe that I've at any point in this thread done anything other than speak against theocracy and for secularism?

Edited by Ugly American

• 2 weeks later...

Good, relatively short YouTube video. The examples:

- A doctor whose fundamentalism-inspired lack of acceptance of evolution caused him to make a decision on a heart transplant that ultimately resulted in the death of a newborn.

- Deanna Laney, who killed two of her children because she believed Yahweh told her to do so. Her third child survived but was hospitalised and suffered permanent disability. Yahweh of course told Abraham to kill his own son, so it's not like these instructions were out of character. This was a mother who likely loved her children very much, but when faced with an imagined faith dilemma, she chose faith.

- The Schiable family, who have had two infant children die of pneumonia because they employed faith healing, instead of medicine, to "treat" them. Each case was easily treatable by modern medicine, but this "violated their religious beliefs".

- Violence in Rohingya between Buddhists and Muslims. Deaths on both sides.

- Aasifa, an eight-year-old Muslim girl raped and murdered by a member of a nearby Hindu group.

- Families who banish or even murder their homosexual children because they are "abominations in the sight of God".

"But it was just their beliefs, right? Their faith. What's the harm?"

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Good, relatively short YouTube video. The examples:

- A doctor whose fundamentalism-inspired lack of acceptance of evolution caused him to make a decision on a heart transplant that ultimately resulted in the death of a newborn.

- Deanna Laney, who killed two of her children because she believed Yahweh told her to do so. Her third child survived but was hospitalised and suffered permanent disability. Yahweh of course told Abraham to kill his own son, so it's not like these instructions were out of character. This was a mother who likely loved her children very much, but when faced with an imagined faith dilemma, she chose faith.

- The Schiable family, who have had two infant children die of pneumonia because they employed faith healing, instead of medicine, to "treat" them. Each case was easily treatable by modern medicine, but this "violated their religious beliefs".

- Violence in Rohingya between Buddhists and Muslims. Deaths on both sides.

- Aasifa, an eight-year-old Muslim girl raped and murdered by a member of a nearby Hindu group.

- Families who banish or even murder their homosexual children because they are "abominations in the sight of God".

"But it was just their beliefs, right? Their faith. What's the harm?"

If people refuse medicine for themselves because god, I couldn't care less, Darwinism at work. But if they do that to their children they should be held responsible for the damage done, and have their children taken away from them.

I've been addicted to Speakers Corner videos for a few months now. There's a few channels that film down there regularly, some very interesting conversations happening.

21 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

BTW what is it with all the ginger converts to Islam?

Their lack of souls EGDm_Cd_R.gif

20 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Their lack of souls EGDm_Cd_R.gif

?  Great to see another South Park fan here! Do you side with the Allied Atheist Alliance, United Atheist Alliance, or Unified Atheist League?

9 hours ago, LesJambes said:

?  Great to see another South Park fan here! Do you side with the Allied Atheist Alliance, United Atheist Alliance, or Unified Atheist League?

Partial to the People's Front of Judea if I'm honest.

:kirklol:

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not as easy as going "Pffft"

They are walking slow in Houston, speechless in D.C.

Edited by alfajambo

15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not as easy as going "Pffft"

Smithee.

I'm agnostic.

But it's easy to rip the bible.

Let's hear it elsewhere.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, jake said:

Smithee.

I'm agnostic.

Let's hear it elsewhere.

You do your thing bud, in the meantime I apologise to no man for saying how I feel about the religion that oppressed the country I grew up in and that I understand the context of. 

8 hours ago, jake said:

Smithee.

I'm agnostic.

Let's hear it elsewhere.

Easy and amusing.

:clyay:

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

You do your thing bud, in the meantime I apologise to no man for saying how I feel about the religion that oppressed the country I grew up in and that I understand the context of. 

40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Easy and amusing.

:clyay:

Fair enough

3 minutes ago, jake said:

Do you actually read GQ then ?

Seeing as he's linked to a USA Today article, I'm gonna go ahead and surmise the answer is no.

25 minutes ago, jake said:

Do you actually read GQ then ?

No, nor do I read USA Today. I do however like an Atheism group on Facebook which is where the link was posted.

Edited by Ray Gin

I also saw that in the Scottish Atheist group today ... Many laughs! 

Luckily they didn't say the Q'ran or they would be getting a very different response! 

• 2 weeks later...

Theocracy in action.

Saudi Arabia will execute 'atheist for insulting the prophet'

Authorities became aware of Ahmad Al-Shamri in 2014 after he uploaded a series of videos reflecting his views on social media. He was subsequently arrested on charges of atheism and blasphemy, faced trial and was sentenced to death in February 2015.

. . .

After a lengthy appeals process, Saudi Arabia's Supreme Court ruled against Al-Shamri on Tuesday (25 April).

. . .

Those sentenced to death are killed by beheading or shooting.

• 1 month later...

Haven't heard from this thread in a wee while . . . and now for something on the lighter side:

If FL Town Bends Rules for Orthodox Jews, Satanist Will React With "Giant Dongs"  EGDm_Cd_R.gif

Stevens is a local Satanic activist who has erected Festivus poles and Distress-ivus poles (that look like Donald Trump). He’s placed an image of an upside-down butt-plugged Jesus outside a local city hall. He hired someone to wear a costume of a giant phallus with Trump’s head before a presidential debate.

He’s a provocateur. And the potential eruv means he’s coming up with his own alternatives:

Stevens said he plans to “come to town with a platoon of giant dongs” should the eruv win approval, one for each of the nine poles.

--

Absolutely love what the Satanic Temple have managed to do in the US because of the ridiculous current state of the law that as long as "equal opportunity" is granted all religions, it's not considered a church/state violation. It also doesn't hurt that this woman is one of the co-leaders of the Satanic Temple in Arizona: ?

image.png.a032c18c1a8fc4969b4f2bcefefdb84e.png

Do atheists get less holidays than everybody else?  Apart from annual leave, isn't most of our days off due to religion?  Do atheists feel bad for taking these days off?  I don't. The only good thing to come from religion is public holidays. 

Obviously it would be ridiculous and discriminatory to give some people more days off than others due to their religious beliefs.

Personally I'd rather have the public holidays added to my annual leave so I can take them when I choose instead of on some daft religious day though.

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Can you post a link to this as I can't read the article