Ticketmaster fees

Phil Dunphy

I’ve just sorted my tickets for Saturday, £40 for three (not that bad when you consider what I just spend on away games) and spied the admin fee applied at the end. 

£4.50. For three tickets I’m going to collect before the game. 

It got me thinking, if you were to attend every league game in a season without a season ticket and bought all your briefs from the website, you’d be stung for an additional £170 in admin fees alone. That seems obscenely high to me. I appreciate this isn’t Hearts that are charging this, it’s going to be the brass neck of Ticketmaster, but perhaps it’s time the club looked at an alternative way of selling tickets to supporters online. 

Can't be arsed finding it myself but it's been proven that most of the cut of this goes to the venue or the performers themselves(in regards to music anyway).

Performer/venue say they charge reasonable prices

Ticketmaster add on fees

Performer/venue get most of the 'fees', then ticketmaster gets theirs

Ticketmaster gets the bad press, performers and venue can claim they sell tickets at reasonable prices

Everyone is happy bar the paying customer.

Also, I think, ticketmaster either own a ridiculous amount of these venues, or they are owned by the same parent company.

It's actually a proven conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, southcap said:

Can't be arsed finding it myself but it's been proven that most of the cut of this goes to the venue or the performers themselves(in regards to music anyway).

Performer/venue say they charge reasonable prices

Ticketmaster add on fees

Performer/venue get most of the 'fees', then ticketmaster gets theirs

Ticketmaster gets the bad press, performers and venue can claim they sell tickets at reasonable prices

Everyone is happy bar the paying customer.

Also, I think, ticketmaster either own a ridiculous amount of these venues, or they are owned by the same parent company.

It's actually a proven conspiracy.

I suppose its different for one off events like a gig or a comedy show, but when you’re talking about a weekly event like the football, it’s a bit excessive. 

Especially when you’re paying through the nose for the ticket in the first place. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the admin fee was a one-off, and it didn't cost you "per ticket".

If it was £1.50 regardless of you buying 1, 3 or 10 tickets, it would still be annoyance, but not as bad as it currently is!

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It wouldn't be so bad if the admin fee was a one-off, and it didn't cost you "per ticket".

If it was £1.50 regardless of you buying 1, 3 or 10 tickets, it would still be annoyance, but not as bad as it currently is!

Totally agree. It cost me £6 for £60 worth of tickets this morning. I bought then all at the same time and it didn't take 4 x the time to order them.

2 minutes ago, southcap said:

It's just smoke and mirrors marketing.

You wouldn't pay any less without the fees.

Aye you would, don't pay the fees if you go into the club ticket office or over the phone.

Ticketmaster rightly take a fee because they are offering a service, but £1.50 per ticket is robbery.

8 minutes ago, kila said:

Aye you would, don't pay the fees if you go into the club ticket office or over the phone.

Ticketmaster rightly take a fee because they are offering a service, but £1.50 per ticket is robbery.

Apologies, I was thinking purely music/comedy etc.

Never used it for football and you are correct.

16 minutes ago, kila said:

Ticket Office hours are a bit of a nightmare on match days at the moment. Closes before many of us arrive in Edinburgh.

been here before
43 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’ve just sorted my tickets for Saturday, £40 for three (not that bad when you consider what I just spend on away games) and spied the admin fee applied at the end. 

It got me thinking, if you were to attend every league game in a season without a season ticket and bought all your briefs from the website, you’d be stung for an additional £170 in admin fees alone. That seems obscenely high to me. I appreciate this isn’t Hearts that are charging this, it’s going to be the brass neck of Ticketmaster, but perhaps it’s time the club looked at an alternative way of selling tickets to supporters online. 

It could be Im missing something here but wheres the £170 coming from?

This season...

38 League games- 57 quid

2 League Cup- 3 quid

2 Scottish Cup- 3 quid

So £57 rising to 80ish if you had 2 good cup runs. 

Anyhow... ticketmasters explanation...

Almost every ticket we sell is actually owned by our clients, not by us.

We're generally selling tickets on behalf of our clients including artists, teams, venues, and promoters, though in some rare instances we may own a small number of tickets as part of our services contract with the individual client. Our clients typically set the face price of their tickets.

In exchange for the rights to sell their tickets we also usually give our clients a portion of the fees we collect such as the service fee/charge, order processing fee, and sometimes the delivery fee (each described below). Whether it's for the purchase of a ticket or merchandise, the portion we keep helps us to provide the distribution and access network used by fans and clients and, considered with other revenues, earn a profit.

Here is the anatomy of a ticket purchase:

Face Price
The face price (also known as the established price or base ticket price) ordinarily is set by our clients. In most circumstances, Ticketmaster sends the amount it collects on the face price of the tickets to its clients, less certain expenses that Ticketmaster may incur on their behalf. In certain circumstances, for example where Ticketmaster presents "all-in-pricing", Ticketmaster may retain some portion of that face price for its services and remit the balance to the client. Other examples where we retain a portion of the face price include TicketExchange.

Service Fee/Charge and Order Processing Fee
There is usually a service fee per-ticket and an order processing fee per-order that varies by event. (The order processing fee is not usually charged on box office purchases.) To the extent we charge a service fee and/or an order processing fee, we and our clients typically set and share the fee. Where do I see the fees for my specific event?

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

This season...

38 League games- 57 quid

2 League Cup- 3 quid

2 Scottish Cup- 3 quid

£63 rising to 80ish if you had 2 good cup runs. 

I think he was saying it was per ticket so your approximate sums x3.....

been here before
3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I think he was saying it was per ticket so your approximate sums x3.....

Right.

Bit of a false point then really. If you go with two others then it costs the 3 of you an extra 175.

If you go to every game as his post suggests it 'only' costs you 57.

46 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Have to agree, i could save the 1,50 by getting my butt along to the TO instead of buying via etickets , what are you paying 1.50 for

a couple of clicks on a keyboard.

Anyway i have a season ticket so its just for cup games in my case but you raise a good point on overall season costs if you are buying tickets for every game.:huh2::huh2:

13 minutes ago, been here before said:

This season...

38 League games- 57 quid

2 League Cup- 3 quid

2 Scottish Cup- 3 quid

So £57 rising to 80ish if you had 2 good cup runs. 

Anyhow... ticketmasters explanation...

Almost every ticket we sell is actually owned by our clients, not by us.

We're generally selling tickets on behalf of our clients including artists, teams, venues, and promoters, though in some rare instances we may own a small number of tickets as part of our services contract with the individual client. Our clients typically set the face price of their tickets.

In exchange for the rights to sell their tickets we also usually give our clients a portion of the fees we collect such as the service fee/charge, order processing fee, and sometimes the delivery fee (each described below). Whether it's for the purchase of a ticket or merchandise, the portion we keep helps us to provide the distribution and access network used by fans and clients and, considered with other revenues, earn a profit.

Here is the anatomy of a ticket purchase:

Face Price
The face price (also known as the established price or base ticket price) ordinarily is set by our clients. In most circumstances, Ticketmaster sends the amount it collects on the face price of the tickets to its clients, less certain expenses that Ticketmaster may incur on their behalf. In certain circumstances, for example where Ticketmaster presents "all-in-pricing", Ticketmaster may retain some portion of that face price for its services and remit the balance to the client. Other examples where we retain a portion of the face price include TicketExchange.

Service Fee/Charge and Order Processing Fee
There is usually a service fee per-ticket and an order processing fee per-order that varies by event. (The order processing fee is not usually charged on box office purchases.) To the extent we charge a service fee and/or an order processing fee, we and our clients typically set and share the fee. Where do I see the fees for my specific event?

I didn’t realise it was £1.50 per ticket. On my confirmation it merely said ‘1-3 Tickets: £4.50’. 

£4.50 x 38 = £171. 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Right.

Bit of a false point then really. If you go with two others then it costs the 3 of you an extra 175.

Not if you are buying all the new tickets yourself. i.e for yourself and kids/wife.

I get that Ticketmaster need to be paid as they invest in and provide the technology for the sale but the fees should be per transaction, not per ticket in my opinion.

All Out Attack

It would be nice if Hearts had a system that managed this themselves, you wouldn't feel so bad about paying the fees. 

Non core business though. 

been here before
43 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

Not if you are buying all the new tickets yourself. i.e for yourself and kids/wife.

Aye, nae bother. I understand the concept.

Bizarrely the most expensive way by far of selling tickets or providing any other service is face to face in this case by selling tickets at the ticket office. 

Which does not involve a charge. 

Doctor FinnBarr

Hate paying them the £1.50 per ticket as I print them off at home but I do realise that they have to make something out of it but we get it light............I'm on a Levellers fan page on FB and for the current tour folks are paying a booking fee of £4.95 per ticket and postage of £5.75, now thats a proper rip-off

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bizarrely the most expensive way by far of selling tickets or providing any other service is face to face in this case by selling tickets at the ticket office. 

Which does not involve a charge. 

It's already been factored in. 

My biggest gripe with Ticketmaster is when you call for tickets, you seem to actually get someone in their head office who has very little clue about the stadium plans, club etc.

Gone are the days of actually speaking to someone in the ticket office it seems.

You think that’s bad?! I paid something crazy like $180 for Liam Gallagher tickets in the USA- the advertised price was only something like 55/60 each so 110/20 total and the rest were fees! Then it got bloody cancelled 4 hours into a 6 hour drive... disaster 

9 hours ago, Locky said:

My biggest gripe with Ticketmaster is when you call for tickets, you seem to actually get someone in their head office who has very little clue about the stadium plans, club etc.

Gone are the days of actually speaking to someone in the ticket office it seems.

There is a direct to the ticket office number to order tickets. Think it might be 03330431874 option 1, option 8, better using that than speaking to some clueless ticketmaster numpty in a call centre.

1 hour ago, Deans Jambo said:

There is a direct to the ticket office number to order tickets. Think it might be 03330431874 option 1, option 8, better using that than speaking to some clueless ticketmaster numpty in a call centre.

I’ll need to try that in future. Last season when I was trying to buy single tickets next to mates in the stadium, it was 10 times more difficult trying to get someone from ticketmaster to do it.

22 minutes ago, Bristol jamboree 10 said:

If we did not buy it would soon stop.Paying for Whites debt.

That was ticketus not Ticketmaster.

Both robbing b*stards anyway..

It should have been ten
19 hours ago, been here before said:

Right.

Was quite obvious the op meant for 3 tickets per game! The point in the thread is the £1.50 charge per ticket but you bash on :secret:

It should have been ten
8 hours ago, Dayman said:

You think that’s bad?! I paid something crazy like $180 for Liam Gallagher tickets in the USA- the advertised price was only something like 55/60 each so 110/20 total and the rest were fees! Then it got bloody cancelled 4 hours into a 6 hour drive... disaster 

Serves ye right for paying to see that plum Gallagher :whistling: ..seriously though, that must've been gutting mate :sad:

32 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Serves ye right for paying to see that plum Gallagher :whistling: ..seriously though, that must've been gutting mate :sad:

Haha he’s a plum but an amazing musician! Yeah it was. Got a wee trip to Washington DC for the first time though so can’t complain. Just more time to bevvy... it’s meant to be rescheduled so something to look forward to 

It should have been ten
45 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Haha he’s a plum but an amazing musician! Yeah it was. Got a wee trip to Washington DC for the first time though so can’t complain. Just more time to bevvy... it’s meant to be rescheduled so something to look forward to 

Ah that'll more than make up for it then! Cracking trip with music and bevvy....enjoy mate :thumb: :drummer::toasting:

Archived