Bitcoin and all that

Unknown user

Felix Lighter
17 minutes ago, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

What they are "playing at" is protecting their reputation.

A number of customers (of various banks) either got scammed or lost shed loads when the prices tanked - plus IIRC the exchanges (at the time) wouldn't adhere to various regulations.

So the banks decided there would be less flak if they just blocked the transfers.

It's my money, I'm an adult, I'm aware of the risks, and they're not my dad. They don't stop me transfering funds to gambling sites or stock market trading sites. I've used Binance to buy crypto plenty times with no problem. It's well established they are not scammers, I'm sure my bank know this. I'd say there is more to it than protecting their precious reputation. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Jeff

• Rudolf's Mate

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Felix Lighter
36 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You're actually better off on a DEX as you own your crypto then.

Do loads of research if you go down this route. 

Yeah I'd need to, I've always used Binance to buy then withdraw to wallets on a thumb drive so wasn't aware of DEX. 

Unknown user
20 hours ago, Felix Lighter said:

It's my money, I'm an adult, I'm aware of the risks, and they're not my dad. They don't stop me transfering funds to gambling sites or stock market trading sites. I've used Binance to buy crypto plenty times with no problem. It's well established they are not scammers, I'm sure my bank know this. I'd say there is more to it than protecting their precious reputation. 

They don't want people using crypto, they want the wild west of the financial market to die and to stop threatening their profitability.

• 3 weeks later...

Just you wait.  My 250,000 SHIB is going to make me a fortune when it goes to the Moon.

:profit: 

It's worth £2.03 at the minute :rofl:

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Just you wait.  My 250,000 SHIB is going to make me a fortune when it goes to the Moon.

:profit: 

It's worth £2.03 at the minute :rofl:

Ffs min, give yourself a chance at least. That was only worth 20 USD at its ATH 😂

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Ffs min, give yourself a chance at least. That was only worth 20 USD at its ATH 😂

I just bought a load of shitcoin when it crashed to bugger all, just to see what happens. Doge, Shiba, all sorts. Cost me about a fiver for hundreds of thousands of them :lol:

All it takes is Elon Musk on some ridiculous grind to make the Twittertwats push the value up. 

I'm certainly not putting large amounts of money in the "better" ones, can't afford to waste it. 

• 5 months later...
On 20/12/2022 at 13:43, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

ftx-samuel-bankman-fried-caroline-elliso

These guys were in control of billions

Trial started today. Ellison has been on the stand.......says SBF wanted become president! It's an interesting read.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Something is always happening.

Care to expand ?

😄

Crypto has been going through the roof over the last few days.

I'm highly suspicious of it though, rumour has it that Putin is the man who created BitCoin.  

Chuck a lot of money at bitcoin, watch everyone jump on the bandwagon, then sell. 

I could be wrong. 

I've heard nows the time to buy*

*I haven't really, just trying to push the price of my £300 investment, purchased at the peak, back up..

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm highly suspicious of it though, rumour has it that Putin is the man who created BitCoin.  

Chuck a lot of money at bitcoin, watch everyone jump on the bandwagon, then sell. 

I could be wrong. 

That ship has sailed though. Its nowhere near sits all time high.

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Still nowhere near it's peak.  Not by a long shot. 

Crypto is dead to everyone who wasn't left holding the bag from when the arse fell out of it. 

Any rise now is just the latest chapter in the Pump and Dump history. We're maybe just approaching another Pump phase, and then everyone who missed the chance to get out last time will cause a record quick Dump. 

Never had crypto at all, can't get my totally around it.

As @tian447 mentions it pump and dump history.

To me, crypto was meant to be PayPal tool (one common currency anywhere in the world), put your money in and buy and sell with it.

But all I ever read is "what its worth now", all aboard trying to be in the next get rich quick scheme.

Blackrock, the SEC case and the BTC halving approaching. 

All good indicators it’s a good time to buy now and hold over the next couple of years. 

Dennis Reynolds

I still have some that I w̶a̶s̶n̶'t̶ a̶b̶l̶e̶ t̶o̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶d̶r̶a̶w̶ a̶n̶d̶ h̶a̶d̶ f̶o̶r̶g̶o̶t̶t̶e̶n̶ a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ have stored away for a rainy day. I'll be able to buy Hearts soon.

:brucey:

• 2 months later...
That thing you do

Got into OM (Mantra) at 6c now 31c. 

Expecting $3 to $6 at the top of the bull market. 

That thing you do
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Uptake of ETFs creating more scarcity, combined with reducing outflows from Grayscale's offering - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-etfs-reach-10b-aum-040451882.html

Very much this.

Plus London Exchange due to offer the same soon so its opening Crypto to a much wider audience.

Bitcoin halving coming in April so prices will generally rise until then, after halving theres usually a correction and after that the bull market begins. Now is a good time to be buying coins for the bull ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
hughesie27
On 12/02/2024 at 19:19, That thing you do said:

Very much this.

Plus London Exchange due to offer the same soon so its opening Crypto to a much wider audience.

Bitcoin halving coming in April so prices will generally rise until then, after halving theres usually a correction and after that the bull market begins. Now is a good time to be buying coins for the bull ahead.

Bitcoin jumped up to just over $59k. Wonder if it will fall back down a bit like last time. Highest peice since ATH in November 2021.

9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Bitcoin jumped up to just over $59k. Wonder if it will fall back down a bit like last time. Highest peice since ATH in November 2021.

It does so on an annual basis. Big spike, big dump, big price crash, repeat.

Sooperstar
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

How is Strike getting on? 

Bindy Badgy
19 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Halving is expected later this year. There will be new all time highs soon if it continues with the same pattern seen after every other halving.

Edit: just noticed the person you were reponding to had already mentioned the halving :) 

Edited by Bindy Badgy

hughesie27
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It does so on an annual basis. Big spike, big dump, big price crash, repeat.

It doesn't though, does it? Not on this scale anyway. 

SmartSelect_20240228_100626_Chrome.jpg

Edited by hughesie27

Spellczech

I get the impression crypto only exists to show that western capitalism is an house of cards. The only thing that holds it all together is "market confidence"...that is a pretty weak glue. It is not helped when gambling bodies like the LSE cannot resist getting involved in every scam themselves...

hughesie27
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

How much is my £100 worth now? 

The potential is limitless.

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It doesn't though, does it? Not on this scale anyway. 

SmartSelect_20240228_100626_Chrome.jpg

Ok, maybe annually wasn't accurate, but there were massive crashes following the previous stratospheric rises at the start of 2021 and end of 2021. With multiple other instances of a steady incline followed by a sharp decline not long after.

I'd certainly consider it to be ill-advised for anyone to buy in at this point given the previous trends.

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

How much is my £100 worth now? 

When did you buy in?

It looks like it has dropped from a high of 19p to 3p per coin.

edit - cents, not pence, my bad

Edited by Ray Gin

Sooperstar
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The potential is limitless.

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

When did you buy in?

It looks like it has dropped from a high of 19p to 3p per coin.

edit - cents, not pence, my bad

Going by my financial adviser's response above I would guess that it was at c.19 cents when I bought in. 

IronJambo
26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Ok, maybe annually wasn't accurate, but there were massive crashes following the previous stratospheric rises at the start of 2021 and end of 2021. With multiple other instances of a steady incline followed by a sharp decline not long after.

I'd certainly consider it to be ill-advised for anyone to buy in at this point given the previous trends.

History shows that it usually rises like this and then has a correction before the halving. It's a little muddied on whether there will be a correction or not before the halving in April though as the ETF's are a bit of a curveball.

This "spike" isn't unexpected and it'll rise past it's $69k all time high after April. Maybe even before at this rate.

It's pretty much a 4 year cycle. Between now and November 2025 should be fun and I'm feeling like I'll be retired by the end of it.

Edit: last year/beginning of this year was the time to buy in but I would still expect people to make money from BTC if they bought now.

It's not really a huge win in crypto though, your ordinary guy would be doing well to get rich from BTC.

Edited by IronJambo

That thing you do
7 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Based on money coming into the ETF funds, it will have pullback but they only way is up, as Yazz would say.

That thing you do

Ive recently bought OM (Mantra) and doing very well. Also have ENJ, ATOM and THETA.

I dont think we will see another cycle like this one again, as the industry matures the blow off top cycles will reduce in size. I firmly believe this is the cycle that will change alot of lives. More so even than the last one.

32 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Ive recently bought OM (Mantra) and doing very well. Also have ENJ, ATOM and THETA.

I dont think we will see another cycle like this one again, as the industry matures the blow off top cycles will reduce in size. I firmly believe this is the cycle that will change alot of lives. More so even than the last one.

So what do I buy, and where :lol:

In all seriousness though, I have no real idea about any of it. I understand what it is and how it's value is generated but I don't understand at all how you purchase it and trade it for real money etc.

Dawnrazor

Say someone had ten grand to invest, what would they buy? Roughly what would the return be?

That thing you do
32 minutes ago, 151 said:

So what do I buy, and where :lol:

In all seriousness though, I have no real idea about any of it. I understand what it is and how it's value is generated but I don't understand at all how you purchase it and trade it for real money etc.

You need a trading account on a crypto exchange, I use Binance.

You can also use other services to buy via credit card or bank transfer.

I use a platform called Bitso thats connected to my Bank account and transfer using SPEI transfer to my Bitso account and buy Bitcoin or Ethereum, then transfer to binance and exchange for USDT. From there I buy whatever I want to buy.

I keep long term coin holdings in a wallet (USB style stick) called Ledger.

The above is a long way from me transferring cash from the Bank to a third party in Latvia to then exchange them for BTC/ETH as I did in the early days. 

Greedy Jambo
7 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

You need a trading account on a crypto exchange, I use Binance.

You can also use other services to buy via credit card or bank transfer.

I use a platform called Bitso thats connected to my Bank account and transfer using SPEI transfer to my Bitso account and buy Bitcoin or Ethereum, then transfer to binance and exchange for USDT. From there I buy whatever I want to buy.

I keep long term coin holdings in a wallet (USB style stick) called Ledger.

The above is a long way from me transferring cash from the Bank to a third party in Latvia to then exchange them for BTC/ETH as I did in the early days. 

That seems like a lot of pissing around to me, and will most likely put any newcomer off. 

Is there a reason why you don't just use the Crypto.com app?

That thing you do
32 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Say someone had ten grand to invest, what would they buy? Roughly what would the return be?

Well, Ill give you a tangible example thats a 12 grand investment

Buy OM at 6c current price 24c return 3x value now 36,000

Timeline - 59 days. Target in bull run $2.50

My first investment was ENJ. I bought 30k of that also at 6c

Had just over 400,000 coins after playing with trading dips. Sold for 1.50 last bull run,  which paid off my house and got us a new bathroom and kitchen.

Timeline - 4 Years

To answer what would someone buy?

Cryptos have lots of uses so the first thing is to decide which ones interest you and which ones so you have knowledge about. I went with gaming and metaverse tokens as I felt I knew enough about them to judge possible results.

Other categories such a DeFi (decentralised finance) I have much less of a clue and dont invest in

My current investments are around RWA (Real World Assets) ie tokenising real estate (ie NFT deeds) amongst others. I think RWA will be a theme in the upcoming bullrun

Then I have my own cryptocurrency Im bringing out in the end of the year with partners: ALBA (no nothing to do with the political party and Salmond), currently getting the smart contract coded and then after thats audited we shall be in business.