In no particular order.

What! No Mika?! :rolleyes:

:)

The Kooks

Fratellis

Coldplay

The Beatles

Queen

and listening to the Ting Tings at the moment I dont actually like them but Thats not my name is such a catchy tune.

:)

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

The Butthole Surfers

Led Zeppelin

The Band

Tom Waits

Probably all wrong but I've just finished driving 14 hours from Vegas to San Francisco and I'm waiting for Mrs Tazio to get out the feckin' shower so I can go for a wander and a pint so my brain is a bit fuzzy.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

The Butthole Surfers

Led Zeppelin

The Band

Tom Waits

Probably all wrong but I've just finished driving 14 hours from Vegas to San Francisco and I'm waiting for Mrs Tazio to get out the feckin' shower so I can go for a wander and a pint so my brain is a bit fuzzy.

You went direct? That is a fair old hike! When we did it we at least stopped a few times on the way at places like Lake Tahoe.

Enjoy!

monkfish1979

Stevie Wonder

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Spin Doctors (really....)

Jimi Hendrix

Super Furry Animals

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I can't decide on a Top 5 but I like the following:-

Pink Floyd

The Stone Roses

Oasis

Stereophonics

Joy Division

The Smiths

2Pac/Dr Dre/Snoop/N.W.A

The Verve

The Who

Happy Mondays

Blur

yvonnejambo

Only 5 is quite hard but here goes

Faithless

Chemical Brothers

Happy Mondays

Massive Attack

Reverand and the Makers

ok have 2 have 6 sorry

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Narrative Arc

Northern Soul ( i know, not a band)

Pavement

Pixies/ frank black

the fall

Teenage fanclub

and on the bench The macc lads and the john spencer blues xplosion

Ever

Feeder

Stereophonics

Erasure

Oasis

Manic Street Preachers

Editors

Arctic Monkeys

The Killers

Biffy Clyro

The Sunshine Underground

Very mainstream I know. I also like a lot of dance music and some classical music but I'm happiest listening to guys with guitars.

Nelly Terraces

My 2008 picks:

Caribou - psychedelic pop genius from Dan Snaith.

Strawberry Whiplash - jesus and mary chain meet my bloody valentine for a dust up on pop pills type gear.

Ipso Facto - stark, tight, film noire-esque sub 60's sound from stylish all women band.

M.I.A - techno, jabbering ethnic rap, pop and guns going off. Sounds like a record made walking down Lewisham high street.

Cheers pop pickers.

Bert Le Clos

In no order;

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Muse

Foo Fighters

Greenday

Led Zepplin

Alexisonfire (I'm going to include Dallas Green's solo stuff in there too, even though it sounds entirely different)

Capdown

Jimmy Eat World

The King Blues

New Found Glory

I like a hell of a lot of other stuff too, varying from classical to thrash metal to drum 'n' bass, but those five probably define the type of bands I listen to the most.

Have you ever listened to Frank Turner's solo album? Sorta folky, but it's brilliant.

Jimmy Eat World and NFG good calls, started listening to them when i was around 11/12 (about ten years ago, are they that old!? :eek:) got me into the sort of music im into now.

Yeah Frank Turner is a top bloke met him a few times. Did you see him when he played at bannermans?

He has a new album out too. I've been meaning to get it.

FRANK TURNER, acoustic singer song writer. Anyone whos not heard him should check him out. I think he has one of those sounds that would appeal to alot of people. Its pretty chilled out and he has good lyrics.

type 'frank turner' in on youtube for a few videos or have a look on his site:

http://www.frank-turner.com/ or myspace: http://www.myspace.com/frankturner

Ever

Manic Street Preachers

Editors

Arctic Monkeys

The Killers

Biffy Clyro

The Sunshine Underground

Good shout with Manic St. Preachers and Biffy. But pre-2008 Biffy is so much better. You heard their first 3 albums?

in no particular order

deacon blue

the killers

coldplay

one republic

snow patrol

Chants:

Are you Kearney in disguise! Are you Kearney in diguise!

The People's Chimp

the stone roses

the pixies

the jesus and mary chain

the charlatans

massive attack

and then could go on and on for pages.....

Hadouken

BoxcarRacer (trying my best to avoid a slagging, but yes I like the other one too and its generally the style of music I listen to.)

Bright Eyes

The Libertines

Daft Punk

Honourable mention to Bloc party, The fourtops, Bedouin soundclash and the Brian Jonestown massacre.

The People's Chimp
My 2008 picks:

Caribou - psychedelic pop genius from Dan Snaith.

Strawberry Whiplash - jesus and mary chain meet my bloody valentine for a dust up on pop pills type gear.

Ipso Facto - stark, tight, film noire-esque sub 60's sound from stylish all women band.

M.I.A - techno, jabbering ethnic rap, pop and guns going off. Sounds like a record made walking down Lewisham high street.

Cheers pop pickers.

Thanks for the above; i'm off to check them out right now! and big up re: M.I.A. she was great at connect.

liking the avatar.

The People's Chimp

such a good tune.

Nigh on impossible to get it down to five, but anyway:

Pixies

Boards of Canada

Funkadelic

Orbital

Super Furry Animals

Arcade Fire

Kings of Leon

Maximo Park

Biffy Clyro

Willy Mason

Notice there are quite a few Biffy fans on here.

Good shout with Manic St. Preachers and Biffy. But pre-2008 Biffy is so much better. You heard their first 3 albums?

As I've said my tastes are somewhat mainstream, I downloaded some early Biffy Clyro stuff and found much of it a bit heavy for my tastes. I can see why their new stuff has made the mainstream as it is more melodic and therefore more accessible to the masses. Similarly, I prefer the Manics late 90s stuff to their early 90s stuff which I found a bit over-political, still good though.

The People's Chimp
you gotta love the young team. however if some of the numpties on here saw you mention 'mhogwai' as one of you top bands you could be accused of all sorts of nasties. but then again an lucky for us they all like r kelly and erm, gosh who else do these people like...kooks.

narf. Loving it. Mogwai are amazing. Anyone see them at the tramway?

As I've said my tastes are somewhat mainstream, I downloaded some early Biffy Clyro stuff and found much of it a bit heavy for my tastes. I can see why their new stuff has made the mainstream as it is more melodic and therefore more accessible to the masses. Similarly, I prefer the Manics late 90s stuff to their early 90s stuff which I found a bit over-political, still good though.

Thats fair enough, I wouldn't say it was heavy but it is definately not as easy on the ears. Least you tried some people don't even realise they have previous albums.

Oh this is a tough one. Ok im going for:

Oasis

Ocean Colour Scene

Johnny Cash

The Stone Roses

Stereophonics

Love loads of different music though but these are my top five, for now anyway.

chester copperpot
I can't decide on a Top 5 but I like the following:-

Pink Floyd

The Stone Roses

Oasis

Stereophonics

Joy Division

The Smiths

2Pac/Dr Dre/Snoop/N.W.A

The Verve

The Who

Happy Mondays

Blur

We have a very similar taste Mr Gaverson.

Cant believe I missed these guys out of my line up too. Include them, and the Charltan's as The Liquidator mentioned earlier.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Super Furry Animals

The Beach Boys

The Beatles

The Smiths

Led Zeppelin

:band:

In terms of defining my taste, which is pretty eclectic, I also love Motown, but I struggled to narrow that down to one particular band or artist.

ever:

oribtal

underworld

leftfield

aphex twin

future sound of london

current:

ulrich schnauss

yoav

the knife

spooky

thom yorke/radiohead (the eraser was a brilliant album)

theres a few others that deserve a mention as well like coldcut, rabbit in the moon, boards of canada, portishead, banco de gaia etc.... but i could go on for days.

Arcade Fire

Kings of Leon

Maximo Park

Biffy Clyro

Willy Mason

Notice there are quite a few Biffy fans on here.

Arcade Fire, forgot about them...make mine a list of 6 now. :cool:

this_is_my_story

Cannae help thinking (and I'm not that old, only 33!) that there's a fair bit of "Ooh, look at me, I like all these bands that you haven't even heard of" style snobbery on this thread, as if it somehow makes the poster cooler or more 'down with it'!! Honestly can't believe that The Stones have only merited a few mentions on a thread like this:confused:

Anyway... in no particular order:

The Rolling Stones (the greatest rock band ever, don't even bother arguing!)

James Brown

Primal Scream

Michael Jackson

Prince

Have also been a big fan of House ever since going to raves (despise that word now!) around 1991 or so. Nowadays, prefer stuff like Masters At Work, DJ Sneak and quality USA produced stuff, and DJ's like Tony Humphries, Frankie Knuckles etc. Really don't like a lot of these daft labels & categorisations, but I like a lot of the so-called 'G-Funk' stuff as well that came out around the mid-nineties - have most of the well known and obvious stuff from Snoop, Warren G and the likes, but would like a few pointers to more stuff like this if anyone has any suggestions, so Cheers in advance!

Cannae help thinking (and I'm not that old, only 33!) that there's a fair bit of "Ooh, look at me, I like all these bands that you haven't even heard of" style snobbery on this thread, as if it somehow makes the poster cooler or more 'down with it'!!

Nowadays, prefer stuff like Masters At Work, DJ Sneak and quality USA produced stuff, and DJ's like Tony Humphries, Frankie Knuckles etc.

:confused:

this_is_my_story
:confused:

May I assume that you think there is a hint of irony, given what I've said in the first paragraph that you've quoted, and because of the fact that you haven't heard of any of the stuff I've mentioned in the second part that you quote from me?!! Anyone who kens their Hoose music will have heard of these gadgies likes. :-)

May I assume that you think there is a hint of irony, given what I've said in the first paragraph that you've quoted, and because of the fact that you haven't heard of any of the stuff I've mentioned in the second part that you quote from me?!!

That would be a fair assumption. One mans obscure is another mans mainstream. I'm sure some of the bands the younger lads listen to are made up to for a laugh to confuse us older posters.

this_is_my_story
That would be a fair assumption. One mans obscure is another mans mainstream. I'm sure some of the bands the younger lads listen to are made up to for a laugh to confuse us older posters.

Aye, can't help thinking that as well... Which makes a band called 'The Butthole Surfers' spring to mind! ;)

Aye, can't help thinking that as well... Which makes a band called 'The Butthole Surfers' spring to mind! ;)

The one and only (and some are grateful for that) are playing Glasgow at the end of July. First UK date for almost 20 years. Lovely stuff for some of us.

Cannae help thinking (and I'm not that old, only 33!) that there's a fair bit of "Ooh, look at me, I like all these bands that you haven't even heard of" style snobbery on this thread, as if it somehow makes the poster cooler or more 'down with it'!! Honestly can't believe that The Stones have only merited a few mentions on a thread like this:confused:

but would like a few pointers to more stuff like this if anyone has any suggestions, so Cheers in advance!

Love my music but don't think that is the case to be honest. Most of the bands mention reoccure on at least a few of the lists. I've heard of 90% of them I'd say, even if I don't like them.

tend to stay back from American stuff myself and we clearly have a different taste in music however I think you might like Chromeo. have you heard them? My mates into them, its sort of DJ produced 'Bass based Funk' if you excuse the description. worth a shot: http://www.myspace.com/chromeo listen to 'needy girl'

this_is_my_story

Had a wee butcher's on Youtube for some Butthole Surfers stuff, first impression is that they're no too bad, I've always an open mind when it comes to tunes. Anyway I need to get to my scratcher, I'll entrust the continuation of this musical love-in with the nocturnal JKBers!!

this_is_my_story
Love my music but don't think that is the case to be honest. Most of the bands mention reoccure on at least a few of the lists. I've heard of 90% of them I'd say, even if I don't like them.

tend to stay back from American stuff myself and we clearly have a different taste in music however I think you might like Chromeo. have you heard them? My mates into them, its sort of DJ produced 'Bass based Funk' if you excuse the description. worth a shot: http://www.myspace.com/chromeo listen to 'needy girl'

Just noticed your post, cheers for the link. Not a bad wee track at all, will check out some of their other stuff too.

Dix Handley
Had a wee butcher's on Youtube for some Butthole Surfers stuff, first impression is that they're no too bad, I've always an open mind when it comes to tunes. Anyway I need to get to my scratcher, I'll entrust the continuation of this musical love-in with the nocturnal JKBers!!

Thatll be me then...

The Stones

Pink Floyd

Iggy and the Stooges

Velvet Underground

AC/DC

..all of which "effected" me at some point in my turbulent teenage

years.

my music tastes have changed drastically since, but these tend to

be the bands i would use as a "rock" blueprint when comparisons are

to be drawn in this modern age.

(just dont mention the ****ing eagles!) :evilno:

Generic Username

Alexisonfire

In Flames

Daft Punk

Audioslave/Chris Cornell/Rage Against The Machine

Funeral For A Friend

Soundgarden

Explosions in the sky

Pavement

Willy Mason

battles

This is the second best list on this thread.

Willy Mason is ganting though.

This is the second best list on this thread.

Willy Mason is ganting though.

Not sure what ganting is but pretty sure it's not a compliment. Willy Mason is great, seens him loads of times. It's just a shame he's not in the UK more often.

I P Knightley

I had the same feeling but then realised that I'm an old duffer with no idea of what's goin' down with the yoof, innit.

I wonder, though, in 20 years whether the same people would have the same defining musical tastes.

Finally, the Stones aren't the greatest rock band ever. It's a scientific fact so no argument. Sorry. They aren't even the greatest rock band with houses on Richmond Hill.

Archived