Modern Day Football Sayings

daveyhmfc

Hagar the Horrible

I have always hated the bad grammar or in "footballing speak" grammer

The lad done well  (it is the lad DID well or the lad has done well)

Michael Stewart does this one..."he could of"  using of or ov as a shortening of HAVE  even UV would sound better.

Hearing americanism  or should that be IZMS' "shooting zone....sorry see Humphries.  MVP.  its Livingston @ Motherwell.

But using "do the math"  that flips the switch.  hearing an American do it cringes me up, but when utilised here with a weegie accent, why cant you get your hands on a nuke when you need one????

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Wee Mikey

• Bazzas right boot

• been here before

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, graygo said:

He's not a commentator anyway, co-commentator.

Football once only needed one commentator. I am not sure that the innovation of having an "assistant" is an improvement.

In sport it started with something called a "colour commentator" in baseball. But he had a specific role. The commentator described the play. In a statistics obsessed game the colour commentator fed in the statistics.

Now the co-commentator talks over the action almost as much as the other guy in an unending and unnecessary dialogue. If you are watching a game why do you need a constant stream of someone else's often inane opinion of what you are watching?

PS one of the reasons I quite like watching BBC Alba. The commentary tells me who is on the ball. The rest I can work out by myself.

Edited by Francis Albert

Between the lines

High press

Transition

High block/Low block/No block

Hi Fi/Lo Fi/No Fi (just fine by me)

Box to Box

Technically gifted

Zonal Marking

Cart horse

Dumpling

The Old Tolbooth
30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Football once only needed one commentator. I am not sure that the innovation of having an "assistant" is an improvement.

In sport it started with something called a "colour commentator" in baseball. But he had a specific role. The commentator described the play. In a statistics obsessed game the colour commentator fed in the statistics.

Now the co-commentator talks over the action almost as much as the other guy in an unending and unnecessary dialogue. If you are watching a game why do you need a constant stream of someone else's often inane opinion of what you are watching?

PS one of the reasons I quite like watching BBC Alba. The commentary tells me who is on the ball. The rest I can work out by myself.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest – The Movie Bucket List

Markymark1874

Back in the 80’s there was no analysis of games on highlight shows like Sportscene or Match of the Day. What value does it actually add? Most folks just fast forward through it till the next game - waste of time 

44 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

Back in the 80’s there was no analysis of games on highlight shows like Sportscene or Match of the Day. What value does it actually add? Most folks just fast forward through it till the next game - waste of time 

None of the pundits, without exception, are folk you'd stop or make an effort to listen to. All the interesting  ones are dead. I think.its been downhill since Saint n Greaves, who for all their irreverent patter were genuine legendary no 9s. Not false 9's.

48 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

A: Usually very little.

It'll either be stating the bleedin' obvious, or someone getting in a tizz.

That's why I like the SPFL youtube highlights. Nae commentary, just crowd noise. Mind you, their so-called 'highlights' are usually lacking in most of the interesting moments that you'd really like a second look at having watched the game live at Tynie.

RustyRightPeg
56 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

Some coaches may find value in it. 

If there was an analysis or non analysis option on iplayer it might be beneficial 

58 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

I get what you are saying and sometimes it is totally unneccessary, like on a header out from a corner and it goes down as some sort of amazing defending etc.

But I think the way the game is played these days with the over tactical approach etc the analysis is beneficial especially with teams like City. I actually use it to show my 8 year old son who is progressing quite well in his football and I show him certain analysis of games on MOTD to let him see how positions are played in the modern game and to give him a different angle on stuff.

8 minutes ago, 151 said:

I get what you are saying and sometimes it is totally unneccessary, like on a header out from a corner and it goes down as some sort of amazing defending etc.

But I think the way the game is played these days with the over tactical approach etc the analysis is beneficial especially with teams like City. I actually use it to show my 8 year old son who is progressing quite well in his football and I show him certain analysis of games on MOTD to let him see how positions are played in the modern game and to give him a different angle on stuff.

Fair comment, but MOTD seem to have more elbow room for that kind of thing. Better graphics etc. etc.

It is, however, still subject to post-hoc wisdom, if you know what I mean?

Markymark1874
1 hour ago, 151 said:

Good point about coaching youngsters, hadn’t thought about it like that. 

I think to be fair MoTD does do it better and although totally not for me and I just fast forward it, some may enjoy it.

Sportscene is dreadful though - they show four of five highlights of the game and then just re-show them with some wooden ex player just describing what they are seeing. Bin that shite and show more of the game. 

The Old Tolbooth
40 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry. What does this mean?

It means are you wanting a cuddle, but I've got Covid so I offered you a cigarette instead (it's a pic from a scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest), and it also looks like they've changed the cigarette to a chewing gum or something (only just noticed that) 

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It means are you wanting a cuddle, but I've got Covid so I offered you a cigarette instead (it's a pic from a scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest), and it also looks like they've changed the cigarette to a chewing gum or something (only just noticed that) 

Not sure I am any the wiser but thanks, 

1 hour ago, Markymark1874 said:

Good point about coaching youngsters, hadn’t thought about it like that. 

I think to be fair MoTD does do it better and although totally not for me and I just fast forward it, some may enjoy it.

Sportscene is dreadful though - they show four of five highlights of the game and then just re-show them with some wooden ex player just describing what they are seeing. Bin that shite and show more of the game. 

I agree about Sportscene, tedious stuff and alot of the time they actually stutter and trip themselves up trying to make a total non event sound like some sort of technical ability.

But yeh I think in terms of my son, he loves watching guys like De Bruyne and its good to show him the kinds of movement he's doing off the ball to create space and stuff. 

Even at Tynecastle I tell him to watch Snodgrass when he doesn't have the ball and stuff. Because from my short experience of seeing him coached from the boys clubs it is very very limited what they are told and coached on. I try and do as much of it myself as I can.

Francis Albert

Before the thread goes into another six year hibernation just a word for an old time "less is more" commentator. Henry Longhurst. Commenting on a Doug Saunders attempt to hole a 30 inch putt to win the Open. Longhurst makes an almost inaudible groan when Saunders stops the putt when he has taken his stance to stoop to brush away an imaginary bit of dirt or lblade of grass. Instead of stepping away and starting again he proceeds to putt and the ball does not touch the whole. After a second or two of respectful silence Longhurst simply says "There but for the grace of God ..." . 

When there is nothing more to be said say nothing.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

For me it's "recycled" I hate hearing.

What a load of garbage

:HeartsManspotrun:

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry. What does this mean?

39 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not sure I am any the wiser but thanks, 

Perhaps the poster thought that you'd benefit from some attention from 👇

Screenshot_20230210_151239_Google.jpg

31 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

For me it's "recycled" I hate hearing.

What a load of garbage

Where there's muck, there's brass. 🙃

50 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

When Liam McLeod from the BBC refers to a foreign player’s country as his “homeland”. 

Not sure why but just 🤬

It’s when Liam McLeod opens his pie hole is enough for me, his nasally wee twang makes me cringe.

54 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

When Liam McLeod from the BBC refers to a foreign player’s country as his “homeland”. 

Not sure why but just 🤬

Is he the one that shouts when he is commentating?

Percival King

Wee bit irritating when a pundit says "you'd pay money to watch him". I (well, in some cases my dad) paid money to watch Frank Liddell, Stuart Gauld, Kevin Twaddle, Malaury Martin and plenty more that were even less memorable/more forgettable.

Francis Albert
37 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Perhaps the poster thought that you'd benefit from some attention from 👇

Screenshot_20230210_151239_Google.jpg

Thanks. I happen to live round the corner from the modern site of Bedlam so will consider signing in.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Think it was always gum. I can hear him say: Gum, Chief?

been here before
3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

50 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Think it was always gum. I can hear him say: Gum, Chief?

Aye it was always gum. Its the scene where The Chief finally reveals he can talk, the words he says being "Juicy Fruit" as thats the gum thats offered by McMurphy.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. I happen to live round the corner from the modern site of Bedlam so will consider signing in.

Tbh, I assumed you were already posting from there.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Aye it was always gum. Its the scene where The Chief finally reveals he can talk, the words he says being "Juicy Fruit" as thats the gum thats offered by McMurphy.

Perfect, thanks for that 

Geoff Kilpatrick

As someone who hates squad numbers and sighs at 61, 72 etc being used, it gives me the seethe in turn to hear pundits say "He's a 6" or "He's better as an 8". Just feck off! Bring back 1 to 11.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I can't stand when folk talk in the present tense about something that's already happened. I don't know where it came from or who started it, but it's horrible. 

"If that's Morelos, he's getting sent off." Well it wasn't Morelos, was it? You've already seen the incident, you already know it was someone else. 

"If he puts it to the keeper's left, he scores." Bit late to be giving advice now, isn't it? He's already put it to the right! 

Cut it out ffs. 

This isn't fitba but it annoys the feck out of me - pundits and hacks calling the ball the pill in Rugby.  Same number of characters, same time to pronounce it - why?

Projects. Be it a player or a club.

New signing: "I spoke to the manager and was excited by the project."

Manager about new signing: "He's only 21. He's a project."

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Corridor of uncertainty can get in the bin, along with top bin.

Top bin and anything else Jimmy Bullard says. 

Also "early doors" and "transition". 

On 10/02/2023 at 10:08, Francis Albert said:

On that note, I feel Jimmy Sandison’s three “NO WAY”s totally ruined what would have been an epic commentary from Laurie at Humphrys’ goal last week. 

It was a real shame as that excerpt of coverage will become the stuff of legend in years to come.

Edited by Hearts_fan

Horatio Caine
23 hours ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Not sure why but just 🤬

...and when he shouts `THE CHAMPIONS` when Celtic do anything noteworthy.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned… ”From the get go…” The most pointless, stupid phrase I’ve ever heard. Just say “the start” ffs. 

It has me reaching for the off button. As does Susie McCabe’s canned laugh. 

And Brian McLaughlin’s unprofessional “si(t)-you-ation” (no “t” even hinted at). It’s crass lingo. In loose conversation, fine, but BM says “si(t)-you-ation” in otherwise lucid reports as if it’s an actual word. Madness. 

At the other end of the scale, there is a relatively new BBC Scotland commentator who insists on pronouncing each and every “t” every time. It’s insane! 

Common sense approach is somewhere in the middle. 

Or when people refer to specific players as if they’re one of an infinite numbers of clones.

”The don’t have the option of putting a Cammy Devlin, or a Robert Snodgrass, in there…”

Absolute 🔔🔚s

Horatio Caine
34 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Being "in the hat" for the next round. 

When was the last time they used a hat??? 

Using a goldfish bowl now.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Being "in the hat" for the next round. 

When was the last time they used a hat??? 

If they used the Sorting Hat then H1b5, Celtic, and The Rangers would all end up in Slytherin.

"Slytherins will often do morally ambiguous things to achieve their goals."

What say you @Harry Potter?

Screenshot_20230211_164203_Google.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey