This Season...

been here before

It’s on the verge of being another write off of a season. 

Next 7 games massive. Win those and game on. Don’t and it’s well and truly done. Unless we can bring in a few players and put everything into the Scottish Cup.

The  current group of players nowhere near good enough.

MacDonald Jardine
57 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

It’s on the verge of being another write off of a season. 

Next 7 games massive. Win those and game on. Don’t and it’s well and truly done. Unless we can bring in a few players and put everything into the Scottish Cup.

The  current group of players nowhere near good enough.

There is no way this team will win 7 on the trot.

MacDonald Jardine
On 28/10/2017 at 17:44, Debut 4 said:

We are sadly back to square one.

Cantered the Championship and had a built confidence within the club again. An admirable 3rd place finish in our first season back.

We were doing fine under Neilson before he went even though he still had his detractors.

Then some poor decisions at the top level then on the playing side has basically f**ked up two seasons (last one and this one).

We are building again. Poor poor stuff. 

Some of the playing side decisions were Neilson's. 

While doing okay in our first season back we got rid of players without replacing them with anything noticeably better, or in some cases worse.

It's a season lost as far as I'm concerned.  Levien's Cathro experiment has set us back a couple of years.  The squad, once again, needs major surgery.  It's too early to judge the youngsters, but from what I've seen so far, despite our much vaunted youth set up, they don't seem any better or indeed at the same level as those we have produced in the past.  Many of the senior pro's aren't producing and seem to be regressing, other should never have been given the opportunity to wear the famous jersey.  It's all pretty depressing, and supporters are rapidly losing faith with the current regime.

Trying to find positives is hard.  Dundee and Hamilton are so poor that we shouldn't get to the stage where we are in a relegation battle at least.  We may improve slightly when we get players like Smith-Brown, Cowie, Djoum and Hughes fit.  I doubt they'll be enough to get us European football and we'd need luck with draws to get anywhere in the cup.  Maybe we'll be able to bring one or two in when the January transfer window opens, but they would need to be of better quality than most of our recent signings.  The new stand is a big plus and will give the fans a lift, but we'll need to perform a lot better to take advantage of going back home.  Tynecastle will be an intimidating place for teams to come to, but will also be intimidating for a below par Hearts team trying to blood youngsters.

37 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

It's too early to judge the youngsters, but from what I've seen so far, despite our much vaunted youth set up, they don't seem any better or indeed at the same level as those we have produced in the past.  

Tynecastle will be an intimidating place for teams to come to, but will also be intimidating for a below par Hearts team trying to blood youngsters.

Your entire post was excellent, very well articulated and reasoned thoughts. I edited it because I wanted to reply to those specific points.

Unfortunately, I share your thoughts that this group of young players is not obviously superior to previous years. I hope to be wrong but do not see the signs yet.

Tynecastle will be of little benefit to an underperforming, low on confidence Hearts team. We are not a support who accepts poor home performances, added to the fact that we have had the sum total of nothing to enjoy or shout about since, well, since the championship season. Our fans are (rightly) fed up and both demand and deserve better. 

If our home games do not start (immediately) with victories, then Tynecastle will not be a positive. 

August Landmesser
5 hours ago, redm said:

:biggrin:

If we win a couple of games in a row at Tynecastle it'll be all "the Gorgie Boys are going to Euuuuuuurope" again. 

We haven't even dipped a toe in Scottish Cup stuff yet either.

Exactly. 11 games in, all of them basically away, half a team injured, club distracted by the new stand.

This league season was never going to be setting the heather alight, top six, humdrum stuff with a couple of memorable results scattered throughout. 

Typical HMFC stuff really...

No reason we can't have a cup run, assuming the draw is OK and we avoid Peterhead...

5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Exactly. 11 games in, all of them basically away, half a team injured, club distracted by the new stand.

This league season was never going to be setting the heather alight, top six, humdrum stuff with a couple of memorable results scattered throughout. 

Typical HMFC stuff really...

No reason we can't have a cup run, assuming the draw is OK and we avoid Peterhead...

"Half a team injured": that is why most clubs have squads. Also, our injured players are ones many have slated and wanted out of the team. 

Imagine if Berra or Lafferty were injured, we would be absolutely goosed. 

4 hours ago, Hendricks said:

On the football front (which should be by far the most important front but isn't to many) Hearts are an underachieving mess. There can't even be any debate about that. Is that solely this regime? No of course not. You only need look at our atrocious cup record as evidence of that. Decades of underachievement not helped by the mañana mañana attitude that you confess to. There's always an excuse, a reason for our ineptitude and this notion that a spanking new stand will turn our fortunes is total hyperbole. Is the new stand development a positive for the club? Absolutely and I commend those that have made it happen but lets not pretend that it is in anything but a convenient excuse for those who are happy to give the hierarchy of the club a pass for a disastrous laundry list of footballing decisions. The complete regression on the park should have seen significant change in who is in charge and how we are being run but it appears things will need to get worse before they get better in that regards before anyone actually stands up to be counted and makes the decisions that need to be made. 

You make it sound as if we’ve always been world beaters but have now had some sort of catastrophic collapse. The football thing absolutely is the most important thing of all the HMFC things and that’s exactly why I am feeling patient right now, because I think there is an opportunity to build towards something sustainable, and something better than the 3/4/5/6th place scrapping that was our lot in life. Takes time though, and mistakes will be made, but I’m okay with that because any other expectation would be unrealistic and only lead to more regular disappointment. I’m also okay with it taking a little time because I’m not going anywhere. 

Also, the worst time to assess anything is right before or right after a derby imo. :laugh:

10 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Maybe this tread's not for you then if it's beyond your comprehension. 

We've improved ? Only because we couldn't get any worse. 

Careful, that sounds like a challenge :lol:

12 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

"Half a team injured": that is why most clubs have squads. Also, our injured players are ones many have slated and wanted out of the team. 

Imagine if Berra or Lafferty were injured, we would be absolutely goosed. 

We'd maybe get by if Lafferty was out BUT if it was Berra , bloody hell who would fit in there ? 

Archived