Champions League

Morgan

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, hydeparkhearts said:

Chelsea do a huge amount of work in the local community and globally through The Chelsea foundation. You can't go anywhere in London at the weekend without bumping into Chelsea coaches working with young kids, free of charge. They send current and ex players to every school in five local Council areas once a year to talk about the importance of sport to health and personal development and the ignorance of racism. The Chelsea owner may seem a bit removed but he attends Stamford Bridge regularly. I don't know a lot about City and the work they do, but I do know the owner attended a game once and only bought the club to try and sanitise the world view of the undemocratic government he and his family help to prop up.

I'm not a Chelsea fan but I do admire the work they do.

I'm not having a go at Chelsea either I don't know much about them. I just find comments about these money rich EPL teams completely misguided. Unless you're associated with the club's then it's just lazy generalist rubbish to claim they've lost identity etc. If some millionaire pumped fortunes into Hearts and we started wining leagues I doubt many fans would moan too much.

28 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I'm not having a go at Chelsea either I don't know much about them. I just find comments about these money rich EPL teams completely misguided. Unless you're associated with the club's then it's just lazy generalist rubbish to claim they've lost identity etc. If some millionaire pumped fortunes into Hearts and we started wining leagues I doubt many fans would moan too much.

Completely agree.....in a way !

Football supporters are well aware of how money....big money...now dictates the game. A kind of microcosm of the neo-liberalism which exists these days. 

I don't like to get too involved in " uber-fan " debates as I feel someone who can't afford to go to every game is as much a supporter as someone who can afford to.

If your club is your identity...then it's yours. No amount of money can change that.

12 hours ago, Boab said:

Completely agree.....in a way !

Football supporters are well aware of how money....big money...now dictates the game. A kind of microcosm of the neo-liberalism which exists these days. 

I don't like to get too involved in " uber-fan " debates as I feel someone who can't afford to go to every game is as much a supporter as someone who can afford to.

If your club is your identity...then it's yours. No amount of money can change that.

Exactly. We see it all the time on here with people using finances to define a teams size and relative position in the league. Nothing has changed really, 20 years ago bigger clubs were paying more money than others for players. Only now it's a different level of wealth and there's new names appearing. My kids just see the likes of Man City and Chelsea the same as I saw Man Utd and Liverpool in my youth.

The Treasurer
19 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Exactly. We see it all the time on here with people using finances to define a teams size and relative position in the league. Nothing has changed really, 20 years ago bigger clubs were paying more money than others for players. Only now it's a different level of wealth and there's new names appearing. My kids just see the likes of Man City and Chelsea the same as I saw Man Utd and Liverpool in my youth.

But that is exactly what has happened with citeh.

They are a relatively small club that have been artificially able to challenge the big clubs purely through the financial backing of a very rich owner.

They have neither the history or fanbase to claim to be a genuine "big" club

Interesting replies.

I tend to agree with Rudy on how younger fans see the big clubs. I'm old enough to remember how big Leeds were back in the early seventies. The crucial difference is the vast sums of money that have, in my opinion, ruined the game.

Look at Leeds now...granted, terrible ownership, but I think it proves my point.

People have great affection for their clubs but ask Man City and Leeds fans and they'll say their club is bigger.

Maybe a discussion for the bitter fans thread !

28 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

But that is exactly what has happened with citeh.

They are a relatively small club that have been artificially able to challenge the big clubs purely through the financial backing of a very rich owner.

They have neither the history or fanbase to claim to be a genuine "big" club

Whether that's right or wrong the point is to suggest they're some sort of souless club with no identity is wrong. To their fans they mean everything same way Hearts do to us. They'd still have the majority of the same fans turning up every week even if they were a Stoke type level. They were well supported in the lower leagues. People talk about them as if their 40000 fans from the old days have been replaced by a different 40000 who turned up with the new owner.

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Whether that's right or wrong the point is to suggest they're some sort of souless club with no identity is wrong. To their fans they mean everything same way Hearts do to us. They'd still have the majority of the same fans turning up every week even if they were a Stoke type level. They were well supported in the lower leagues. People talk about them as if their 40000 fans from the old days have been replaced by a different 40000 who turned up with the new owner.

In that respect they are no different from the real big clubs.

If you look at the crowd at their games it's full of glory hunters taking selfies of their half and half scarves.

They did have a very loyal support and I'm sure a lot of them still go to games, but don't kid yourself that they don't have a very large percentage who, up until a couple of years ago, would struggle to tell you what colour their strips were.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

If you look at the crowd at their games it's full of glory hunters taking selfies of their half and half scarves.

They did have a very loyal support and I'm sure a lot of them still go to games, but don't kid yourself that they don't have a very large percentage who, up until a couple of years ago, would struggle to tell you what colour their strips were.

I would disagree that a very large percentage don't have a clue about Man City more than two years ago and that their crowd is full of glory hunters. There will be some, like any big, successful club, that's what happens but it's easy for TV cameras to zoom onto some random chinese football tourists and make it look as if they are in the majority.

Not a bit of it.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

No history.

They won an European trophy before Liverpool.

Every successful club has a big following abroad now.

They just happened to get taken over at the right time, as did Chelsea ' to catch the worldwide appeal of the English premiership.

The half and half scarves are cringeworthy but they are sold by the street traders not by the official City store.

Due to the money involved in the premiership City and most of the big clubs are running at a profit.

City also work closely with the local businesses and councils trying to help the area prosper as well.

City was always the club of the ordinary Mancunian, as opposed to the glory hunting United fans, most of whom, from season ticket sales, live in non Manchester postcodes, principally in Ireland. For The Treasurer to say that City has no history is either stupidity or ignorance, probably the latter. League, FA Cup and League Cup wins, as well as the European success mentioned by Benny.

I was only ever at one Manchester derby, and City won 4-0!

• 2 weeks later...

Eight games again tonight.

FC Basel v CSKA

Man, Utd. V Benfica

Celtic v Bayern Munich

PSG v Anderlecht

Atletico Madrid v FC Qarabag

Roma v Chelsea

Olympiakos v Barcelona

Sporting Lisbon v Juventus

The three that interest me are the Man. U game, the Tim’s game and Roma v Chelsea

Want a Man. U win,  a Celtic pumping and a heavy Chelsea loss.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

FC Basel v CSKA

Man, Utd. V Benfica

Celtic v Bayern Munich

PSG v Anderlecht

Roma v Chelsea

Olympiakos v Barcelona

The three that interest me are the Man. U game, the Tim’s game and Roma v Chelsea

Roma :yas:

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

People saying Celtic are playing well. 

Not bad to be fair. Brown doing his usual get the ball and pass it sideways routine but getting plaudits...

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

FC Basel v CSKA

Man, Utd. V Benfica

Celtic v Bayern Munich

PSG v Anderlecht

Roma v Chelsea

Olympiakos v Barcelona

Perfect.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Perfect.

Close, only a narrow Celtic defeat against a much weakened but still disappointing German champions stopped it being perfect:huh2:

1 minute ago, geomac said:

Close, only a narrow Celtic defeat against a much weakened but still disappointing German champions stopped it being perfect:huh2:

:2thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic should be okay for last 32 of Europa League 

Aye.

32nd.

The Treasurer
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:07, vasco said:

City was always the club of the ordinary Mancunian, as opposed to the glory hunting United fans, most of whom, from season ticket sales, live in non Manchester postcodes, principally in Ireland. For The Treasurer to say that City has no history is either stupidity or ignorance, probably the latter. League, FA Cup and League Cup wins, as well as the European success mentioned by Benny.

Just noticed this.

You've mis-quoted me.

I didn't say citeh had no history, I said they didn't have the history to claim to be a big club. Certainly in comparison to the likes of Real, Barca or even their own neighbours. Clubs that they like to now think they are the equal of.

They are a relatively small club (in CL terms) that happen to have got very lucky with a rich owner.

On 20/10/2017 at 19:07, vasco said:

What a load of tosh. I have relatives who support Man U. 

Older ones, not glory hunters.

When Man U were in the old 2nd division they’d get over 40,000 at matches.

They’ve always been a well supported club. Every EPL club has hangers on these days.

So, tonight it’s :

Liverpool v NK Maribor

Sevilla v Spartan Moscow

Napoli v Manchester City

Shakhtar Donetsk v Feyenoord

Besiktas v Monaco

FC Porto v RB Leipzig

Borussia Dortmund v Apoel Nicosia

Tottenham v Real Madrid

I’ll be following the Napoli game, the Monaco game and Spurs versus Madrid.

Going for a Napoli win, a Besiktas win and a Spurs win.

Three 2-0 home wins.

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

What a load of tosh. I have relatives who support Man U. 

Older ones, not glory hunters.

When Man U were in the old 2nd division they’d get over 40,000 at matches.

They’ve always been a well supported club. Every EPL club has hangers on these days.

Spot on Debut.

Man. Utd have been my ‘English team’ since I was a wee boy and I am not about to change that now just because it has become fashionable to dislike them and to want them beaten.

51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

So, tonight it’s :

Liverpool v NK Maribor

Sevilla v Spartan Moscow

Napoli v Manchester City

Besiktas v Monaco

FC Porto v RB Leipzig

Tottenham v Real Madrid

Three 2-0 home wins.

The same three games are appealling to me however i fancy City instead of Napoli.

I'm going City, Besiktas and Shakhtar treble tonight.

1 minute ago, Homme said:

The same three games are appealling to me however i fancy City instead of Napoli.

I'm going City, Besiktas and Shakhtar treble tonight.

Going to stick my neck out here and predict eight home wins!

Good luck with your bet by the way, that’ll be pretty good odds?

:thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Going to stick my neck out here and predict eight home wins!

Good luck with your bet by the way, that’ll be pretty good odds?

:thumbsup:

9/1 Morgan so not bad.

Besiktas are flying this year, and Feyenoord will struggle away to Shakhtar. Besiktas may be happy with a draw in this one though.

Napoli v City is too close to call and could go either way IMO.

Possibility of all home wins - 107/1 :lol:

11 minutes ago, Homme said:

9/1 Morgan so not bad.

Besiktas are flying this year, and Feyenoord will struggle away to Shakhtar. Besiktas may be happy with a draw in this one though.

Napoli v City is too close to call and could go either way IMO.

Possibility of all home wins - 107/1 :lol:

Put €10 on that for me will you? :lol:

The Kronenbourg is on me if it comes up...

Absolutely outrageous atmosphere in Istanbul, Besiktas fans truly are some of the best in the world.

Kartal Gol Gol Gol.

:pleasing::yas:

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

So, tonight it’s :

Liverpool v NK Maribor

Sevilla v Spartan Moscow

Napoli v Manchester City

Besiktas v Monaco

FC Porto v RB Leipzig

Tottenham v Real Madrid

Three 2-0 home wins.

Monaco 1-0 up with 50 mins played.

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Monaco 1-0 up with 50 mins played.

Following up their goal with a racist slit-eyed gesture by their goal scorer. Classless team.

1-1 now.

:pleasing:

41 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Absolutely outrageous atmosphere in Istanbul, Besiktas fans truly are some of the best in the world.

Kartal Gol Gol Gol.

:pleasing::yas:

Wait for it...wait for it...

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The strange quirks of football you sometimes get

Even stranger is that they are wearing that strip to celebrate their 120th anniversary and yet they have only been wearing those colours for 114.

1 nil Napoli. Great goal by Insigne, here was me thinking City were the best team ever and had reinvented football...

49 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

1 nil Napoli. Great goal by Insigne, here was me thinking City were the best team ever and had reinvented football...

man city are now 2-1 up

Archived