Top six wages and support, bottom six players

cousinsofnoone

Even in our fragile state and upheaval we should still be going to places like the above with a positive winning mentality. Even with money going to the stand our resources are more than Dundee and Partick combined.

As D4 says repeatedly - we hand the initiative to the opposition in almost every game. Where has this weak mentality came from, and who is going to change it??

Attitude is obviously part of it but there are many other factors come into it. I imagine our record against the teams mentioned is pretty decent over the years.

Buffalo Bill

Even in our fragile state and upheaval we should still be going to places like the above with a positive winning mentality. Even with money going to the stand our resources are more than Dundee and Partick combined.

As D4 says repeatedly - we hand the initiative to the opposition in almost every game. Where has this weak mentality came from, and who is going to change it??

I agree we should be going there to smash teams and it's frustrating as hell to see us starting games on the back foot, but clearly there are human factors at play for what and where we are at this moment, and as in my previous post, I find some comfort in the fact that I think we'll improve from the position we're in as the club's financial situation strengthens. 

William H. Bonney

Maybe I did Toshy an injustice. You ok with it too?

Who really cares. It makes no difference to my life.

Westendjambo

I think bottom six players is perhaps harsh.

I'd be more inclined to say top six players applying themselves wrong. On another day we run out clear winners against Dundee the team is good enough to have merited a convincing win - but the fact is, we shot ourselves in the foot by not doing the basics right.

Its no secret we're a bit thin on the ground at the moment - that much is clear for us all. But the squad we DO have is somewhat underachieving and capable of much better. I'm confident of that.

This. Well put.

Even with good coaching and high levels of fitness, there's going to be no easy fix.

We've got top 4 wages (maybe top 5 as Hibs could still be paying more than us) and top 3 fans. In terms of the players, we're easily top 6 on paper. I was going to say we lack a stand out top 6 midfielder but Jamie Walker is one of the best in the country on his day, as is Djoum if he can ever get back to his early form with us. Up front, our two strikers are top 6 in terms of pedigree and goals scored.

If we don't have top 6 players, and assuming Rangers, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs and St J are top 6, which of the other teams have better squads than us? Motherwell might have one of the league's best strikers but what about the rest of their team outwit Cadden, who is not as good as Walker? Man for man our squad compares well to Hibs and St J. We just haven't put together good enough results for that to show yet though.

Attitude is obviously part of it but there are many other factors come into it. I imagine our record against the teams mentioned is pretty decent over the years.

Not to be pedantic Dave, I am referring to our current team and their lack of mental strength. There is no way we should start slowly and play pedestrian football for the first 45 minutes. If teams reflect their Manager, then Craig Levein needs to start influencing our demeanour.

The fact we have recently been bullied and outfought by hibs, is all down to attitude. So what other factor are you referring to?

Not to be pedantic Dave, I am referring to our current team and their lack of mental strength. There is no way we should start slowly and play pedestrian football for the first 45 minutes. If teams reflect their Manager, then Craig Levein needs to start influencing our demeanour.

The fact we have recently been bullied and outfought by hibs, is all down to attitude. So what other factor are you referring to?

Maybe for the cup replay defeat under Robbie but Hibs simply had a better team than us when they beat us under Cathro. They played as a team and were a better team at that time. That team ethic is what we lost under Cathro and what Levein needs to get back on a consistent basis first and foremost. Man for man quality wise we have better players across the park than Hibs IMO, and a better manager. I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a point at least.

Maybe for the cup replay defeat under Robbie but Hibs simply had a better team than us when they beat us under Cathro. They played as a team and were a better team at that time. That team ethic is what we lost under Cathro and what Levein needs to get back on a consistent basis first and foremost. Man for man quality wise we have better players across the park than Hibs IMO, and a better manager. I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a point at least.

The defeat to H1b5 under Robbie, I tried to put down as just a shock.

We had them gone at 2-0 in the first game but managed to f### up big time. I actually didn't see the replay as I was working in Wales but it sounded like we were all over them in the 2nd half when I listened to it on the radio. Just couldn't score.

Last seasons two matches , however, were an absolute disgrace. Simple as that.

Again, if it happened to be two competitive games where we didn't play too badly but they got the breaks, then you'd log it under another shock result again. But we were absolutely horrific across 180 minutes.

No derby defeat is easy to take. Even if you play well it's hard to acknowledge. But last seasons Derby showings scunnered the support big time.

I'm trying not to get depressed about it but at the moment we're definitely heading for bottom six. Hopefully it's just because of the away fixtures and our run of home games will change that.

The defeat to H1b5 under Robbie, I tried to put down as just a shock.

We had them gone at 2-0 in the first game but managed to f### up big time. I actually didn't see the replay as I was working in Wales but it sounded like we were all over them in the 2nd half when I listened to it on the radio. Just couldn't score.

Last seasons two matches , however, were an absolute disgrace. Simple as that.

Again, if it happened to be two competitive games where we didn't play too badly but they got the breaks, then you'd log it under another shock result again. But we were absolutely horrific across 180 minutes.

No derby defeat is easy to take. Even if you play well it's hard to acknowledge. But last seasons Derby showings scunnered the support big time.

I agree about last season. Those performances were very atypical. I expected us to get a humping in the replay - don't think I've ever expected us to lose a derby before. That manager has gone though so there's no reason to think that'll happen again.

I think the terms 'top 6' and 'bottom 6' misrepresent the situation. They are only used due to the rotten split our football 'leaders' dumped upon us. The reality is there are sections within those 2 'sixes'. To lump us with Celtic over the course of the season is as ludicrous as lumping us with this seasons Kilmarnock in my view. We have NO chance of winning the league and we have NO chance of being relegated.

In my view this season will break down on the following manner:

Celtic

Aberdeen / Rangers

Hibs / Hearts / Motherwell / St Johnstone /

Dundee / Hamilton / Patrick / Ross County

Kilmarnock

From a solely Hearts perspective as things stand we could be 4th we could be 7th and if I was to make a prediction right now I'd probably plump for 5th which is better than 'bottom 6' but hardly worthy of this some what disingenuous term of 'top 6' as if it were now seen as some sort of success but the apologists and revisionists.

I'm bored of this shit.

Hendricks and Spencer aren't Hearts supporters

Mods I will take the ban.

I like Hendricks. He says the things that need to be said and if he is wrong then there are plenty on here to prove him wrong. Just because the majority on here are content to accept mediocrity doesn't make him wrong. 

Don't take a  ban ... show Hendricks he's wrong. Me too cos all I've seen for the last two years is crap football & a conveyor belt of crap signings but we got a new stand , we got a club crest outside the new stand (did I mention the new stand ?) . And we got a MANAGER on a 3 year contract that doesn't want the job. The club has completely gone back on all it stood for  (bringing new /young coaches in ?) , no head coach but a new manager ? And no one on JKB gives a shit. 

Take a ban ? Give us a break. 

I'm bored of this shit.

Hendricks and Spencer aren't Hearts supporters

Mods I will take the ban.

I don't think you will be banned for airing your views nor should you. Personally I couldn't give 2 hoots whether you think I'm a Hearts supporter or not. The fact you believe that might be the case says way more about you than it does about any posts I make on a fans forum. I would confidently suggest I've been to more Hearts matches in my life than you will ever if you live till 75! 

The difference with me and you is I'm not a sycophantic happy clapper, I can see the many good things being down off the field at the same time as pulling up and calling out the absolute shambles we have been on the field. I'm also currently abroad so have some distance and can recognise that we are a hugely underachieving club who should be doing miles better given the historic financial support provided by our fanbase. And that's fine, we need supporters like you who will stand by the club however dismal the product and however much complete bull we are fed. 

You are entitled to dismiss my views about players, the squad, Robbie Neilson, Craig Levein, where we are likely to finish in the SPL, our cup record etc etc, I have no issue with that but there will be few on this board who call it correctly as often and I have no issue with making that claim. I could list numerous examples of that but its of little value. Most, like your buddy Socrates change their predictions on a nigh on weekly basis, theres always a further moving on the goal posts; challenge Aberdeen and Rangers for 2nd, fight for 4th with Hibs, 100% certain we will be top 6, ad nauseam. Its embarrassing. They have no clue about professional football and no ability to see the reality, all they are interested in is defending mistake after mistake mane by the club.

I'll stand by my predictions on players, performances and results and in many ways hope to be proven wrong by our squad but in recent times especially its rare that has happened. If we go to Easter Road and win I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say greta job all involved but I'll frankly be amazed on all evidence I've seen recently. If that makes me a non Hearts supporter in your eyes I can live with it!  

I like Hendricks. He says the things that need to be said and if he is wrong then there are plenty on here to prove him wrong. Just because the majority on here are content to accept mediocrity doesn't make him wrong. 

Don't take a  ban ... show Hendricks he's wrong. Me too cos all I've seen for the last two years is crap football & a conveyor belt of crap signings but we got a new stand , we got a club crest outside the new stand (did I mention the new stand ?) . And we got a MANAGER on a 3 year contract that doesn't want the job. The club has completely gone back on all it stood for  (bringing new /young coaches in ?) , no head coach but a new manager ? And no one on JKB gives a shit. 

Take a ban ? Give us a break. 

Appreciate your comments. And you are right, some posters don't have the courage of their convictions. They change their stance or their predictions to suit their agenda on a weekly basis its pathetic. I say it like I think it. I've given a load of praise and positive feedback when I feel its been warranted and equally voice negative and critical points when I think they are deserved. Surprise surprise that the latter have bene prevalent over the last period of time as our first team have been utterly shite. Thats no exaggeration that is there in cold hard facts. And there are numerous of them! I'm sorry that some fans on this forum find the truth difficult to swallow but from me and the like of Spencer, an articulate, balanced poster who knows what he is taking about they will just have to suck it up or block that viewpoint. Its only because of my love for Hearts that I even bother my arse and if that comes across as wanting better for the club I've supported since my Dad took me as a las then so be it. We are underachieving and have done for decades, I want better for the future generations on Jambo's!

We don?t have a divine right to turn up at places like Dundee or Patrick and get 3 points. For as long as I can remember going, Dens Park was one of those grounds where we never seem to play well.

Having said that, I do believe at present that in a footballing sense, we are under performing. I put that down to the fact I think there are still things in the system that need to be rectified

1. The balance of the squad is still wrong. We still lack some creativity and pace. Milinkovic will help with that but will only show it when we get a run of games. We are a centre half short if we want to play a back 3. Hughes was never going to be able to play week in, week out in this league and the utility players we have are nowhere near good enough. Saturday showed that when we put an average midfielder into our back 3 as we had no one else. We are still trying to put square pegs into round holes. We played Randall on right and Smith out of position one he left taking away some of his effectiveness.

2. Confidence is still way short of where it should be, but I?m hopeful that once we?re back at Tynecastle that we can go on a bit of a run of winning games which will help

3. Formation. We are playing a system that Cathro wanted to play because he was the person who signed players to play in a 3-5-2. Our first choice left sided player in the 5 has been pretty much of the treatment table since he got here. His back up is nowhere near good enough to play in that role so immediately we are trying to cover there. Our first choice in that system may be good but the back ups are woeful. This problem wasn?t resolved because the board didn?t do the right thing at the end of last season and get rid of a coach who was clearly out of his depth.

I get the posters original sentiment as we have the third largest average home attendance in Scotland, a wage budget greater than half the league yet we still have too many average players who are on contracts they are willing to settle on as they know they won?t get better anywhere else. Some of the signings made in the summer were going to improve our mentality but we still have a squad packed full of mediocrity and is imbalanced. Until we can get rid of some of the deadwood in ther3 we are going to continue to go to places like Dundee, Patrick and Dingwall and get draws and defeats.

CL can only pee with the proverbial that he?s got and setting us up not to lose as opposed to win is based on the squad we currently have. The irony in it is that as DOF, he?s sanctioned the signings of some of these average players.

Personally I?ve already written this season off as mid table mediocrity. Surgery is still required on the squad but I?ve seen enough from CL?s setting up of the team and the way they have played since he came in that we are nowhere near relegation or play off material. That squad with Cathro would be closer to the bottom of the table so signs of recovery are showing but we are still way short on the playing front of where I want our club to be.

Archived