A handkerchief in their pocket!

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

A older chap at work who hails from Motherwell was reminiscing about his youth and growing up in the town in the 70s! various things were mentioned one of which was football,him and his mates watched Motherwell FC and he remembered Saturday afternoons when the Rangers & Celtic fans would pour of the trains and head for the pubs the railway tavern was mentioned? But he also mentioned Hearts and said of any visiting fans, Hearts were one the worst in terms of being a nuisance he minded they wore crombie coats with Dr Marten boots! but also the handkerchiefs,they had them neatly folded in the coat breast pocked! To him it seamed out of place coincidering what they were doing! Before my time but I presume by the discription they were skinheads? In that era did Hearts have a skinhead following,were they a bit naughty?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad used to say the bald lad in "The Flying Pickets" looked like many a 1970's Hearts fan. :D

Aah, Crombies, Sta-prest trousers or Prince of Wales checked loons, Simon shirts and Doc Martens - takes me back!

There were a few bammers following us around in the mid to late 70's, right enough

When I was a nipper I recall a chant from the shed; "Gorgie Boys, Gorgie Boys, laced-up boots & cordaroys".  To the tune of Sham 69's Hersham Boys.

Fxxx the SPFL

Aah, Crombies, Sta-prest trousers or Prince of Wales checked loons, Simon shirts and Doc Martens - takes me back!

There were a few bammers following us around in the mid to late 70's, right enough

Harrington jackets and college jerseys as well.

When I was a nipper I recall a chant from the shed; "Gorgie Boys, Gorgie Boys, laced-up boots & cordaroys".  To the tune of Sham 69's Hersham Boys.

Great band and still going strong

A certain poster, who cannot be named for obvious reasons, will be all over the mention of Sham 69.

You'll find him on the 'Terraces'.

:wink:

Not on your Nelly.

Hersham boys by Sham 69. Was in the charts when I joined up. Along with message in a bottle by the police. I thought it was Ben Sherman shirts that were all the craze back then.

Dundee United were certainly the worst support for skinheads at that time, would be outside waiting after the games and if you weren't Bruce Lee then it was a frantic dash for the station.

There's a book that will tell you all about this. Bring out your riot gear the hearts are here: Gorgie aggro. Good luck getting your hands on a copy though. They're as rare as hens teeth!

There's a book that will tell you all about this. Bring out your riot gear the hearts are here: Gorgie aggro. Good luck getting your hands on a copy though. They're as rare as hens teeth!

Deay me, just had a quick look on Amazon and they are seeling for ?69.95!!!!!  I'm certain I have a copy of this book in the house. 

Nah ..... skinheads, crombies, bootboys, clockwork orange, cowan tailoring, Jax ,..... etc etc were before the times mentioned in the book

millerjames398

Nah ..... skinheads, crombies, bootboys, clockwork orange, cowan tailoring, Jax ,..... etc etc were before the times mentioned in the book

I'm sure in the aggro book he does mention the skinhead and mod gangs that come from the schemes in the 70s..as well as the gbb.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fitzroy Pointon

A good few books I have read on the casual scene mention Hearts as having one of the worst supports (in terms of trouble) in the 70's and that Tynecastle was always a hairy experience.  Even into the mid 80's the "scarfers" were fair game.  I remember my dad's mate telling me he was at Tynecastle in the mid-80s with Celtic and van loads of Skins turning up and kicking Celtic's casuals all the way up Gorgie Road.  Whether this is true or not, we certainly had a reputation back then.  

millerjames398

I'd have really enjoyed travelling to the away games back then,away games down south in the Texaco cup...all before I started going in the 80s...but folks stories on similar threads in the past always leave me feeling gutted I wasn't part of the support back then...i mean who would take there dug to darkhead for an away game? [emoji33] [emoji23] madness.

A good few books I have read on the casual scene mention Hearts as having one of the worst supports (in terms of trouble) in the 70's and that Tynecastle was always a hairy experience.  Even into the mid 80's the "scarfers" were fair game.  I remember my dad's mate telling me he was at Tynecastle in the mid-80s with Celtic and van loads of Skins turning up and kicking Celtic's casuals all the way up Gorgie Road.  Whether this is true or not, we certainly had a reputation back then.  

I remember that game!!!  Was at it with my mum as a 9 year old.  Scared shitless I was.

millerjames398

A good few books I have read on the casual scene mention Hearts as having one of the worst supports (in terms of trouble) in the 70's and that Tynecastle was always a hairy experience. Even into the mid 80's the "scarfers" were fair game. I remember my dad's mate telling me he was at Tynecastle in the mid-80s with Celtic and van loads of Skins turning up and kicking Celtic's casuals all the way up Gorgie Road. Whether this is true or not, we certainly had a reputation back then.

I read a similar book and a Aberdeen casuals said in there years of getting up to mischief...the scariest experience was leaving tynie(after clinching the title)?and having to run the gauntlet back up to Haymarket against punks and skins...

Hagar the Horrible

Hersham boys by Sham 69. Was in the charts when I joined up. Along with message in a bottle by the police. I thought it was Ben Sherman shirts that were all the craze back then.

It was a an evolution thing?  Crombies, Doc Martins  yellow laces, then the Jeans were replaced with Stay-press, Fred Perry polo's were replaced by Ben Sherman shirts (classic oxfords)  but you could only get them in Oxford Street in London, Great days the Gorgie Boot boys, well before casuals. 

Pogo pogo pogo we used to do on the terraces too Brilliant!

Also remember we went through a phase of Dungarees with Maroon Jumbers underneath, and the scarfs tied around our heads , so we all looked the same to the Polis....The Commandos

Hagar the Horrible

We carried many things to the games back then but never hankies.

It was in the inner part of the Crombie turned out to look like a handkie

Fitzroy Pointon

I remember that game!!!  Was at it with my mum as a 9 year old.  Scared shitless I was.

I bet your mum was ready to take on anyone that came near you as well.  

I remember being in Glasgow when Scotland played England in 1989, all along Union Street it was going off.  People getting their heads kicked in, police everywhere.  My mum had me and my sister in the doorway of a shop standing in front of us, handbag ready to twat any Engurlish gorrilla that decided to come near us :rofl: 

I'd have really enjoyed travelling to the away games back then,away games down south in the Texaco cup...all before I started going in the 80s...but folks stories on similar threads in the past always leave me feeling gutted I wasn't part of the support back then...i mean who would take there dug to darkhead for an away game? [emoji33] [emoji23] madness.

Ha  ha, that would be Ian Anderson aka Bernie.

He was just an ordinary kid at Craiglockhart Primary but when he hit 14/15 he went off the tracks. What became of him? If he's still with us he'll be 60/61 now

He was just an ordinary kid at Craiglockhart Primary but when he hit 14/15 he went off the tracks. What became of him? If he's still with us he'll be 60/61 now

Civil Servant last I heard

millerjames398

Ha ha, that would be Ian Anderson aka Bernie.

That's the fellow[emoji106] he was someone I always seen around when I was younger going in pubs before games with my old man, big scary lookin dude...it wasn't until I got on kick back and heard folks stories/memories of him I realised who he was..quite the character..theres a poster on here(sunning himself in france) who knew him pretty well from back in the day and some of the stories beggar belief...they'd make movies of the stuff that he got up,if it happened these days[emoji23]

Bazzas right boot

Not sure if it's the same game but I remember a midweek game against Celtic. Was probably mid to late 80s.

The violence afterwards was staggering. Fighting all the way along to haymarket with the Celtic support eventually turning on their heels and running for it.

I was also at the battle of parkhead. Think that was another midweek game. Totally mental.

Even now the Celtic games are vile, always felt that. Really only game I can feel the hatred.

A certain poster, who cannot be named for obvious reasons, will be all over the mention of Sham 69.

You'll find him on the 'Terraces'.

:wink:

Not on your Nelly.

I discovered Sham 69 on a Hearts video on youtube. The poster shared his name with a kickbacker.

PRENTICE CROSSES

He used to drink in the Station till it closed.Not sure if he stll does now that it has reopened.

PRENTICE CROSSES

A older chap at work who hails from Motherwell was reminiscing about his youth and growing up in the town in the 70s! various things were mentioned one of which was football,him and his mates watched Motherwell FC and he remembered Saturday afternoons when the Rangers & Celtic fans would pour of the trains and head for the pubs the railway tavern was mentioned? But he also mentioned Hearts and said of any visiting fans, Hearts were one the worst in terms of being a nuisance he minded they wore crombie coats with Dr Marten boots! but also the handkerchiefs,they had them neatly folded in the coat breast pocked! To him it seamed out of place coincidering what they were doing! Before my time but I presume by the discription they were skinheads? In that era did Hearts have a skinhead following,were they a bit naughty?

We sure did the GORGIE BOOT BOYS just Hearts fans from all the Edinburgh gangs it was not unusual to see the odd inter gang fight break out at Hearts games.

Hagar the Horrible

Aaah, you 'young uns'.

The 60's'  were quite 'interesting' at times too..

Not if you remember them they were'nt, or like me just a baby

We carried many things to the games back then but never hankies.

I didn't have a Crombie myself (thanks, dad) but IIRC the guys just pulled the red lining of the pocket out to make it look like a hankie. 

The real hard men wore Levis ice blue "Sta Pressed " but these eventually disappeared because Levis stopped making them due to the characters in A Clockwork Orange wearing them in the film and the violence associated with it.

Anyone remember ? 

Son Of Anarchy

I didn't have a Crombie myself (thanks, dad) but IIRC the guys just pulled the red lining of the pocket out to make it look like a hankie.

The real hard men wore Levis ice blue "Sta Pressed " but these eventually disappeared because Levis stopped making them due to the characters in A Clockwork Orange wearing them in the film and the violence associated with it.

Anyone remember ?

I was being flippant :thumbs up:

I'm sure in the aggro book he does mention the skinhead and mod gangs that come from the schemes in the 70s..as well as the gbb.

You're correct but most of the "action"  is mid 80s and upwards .... My recollections of skinheads were early 70s Gorgie Jungle  

Iirc the main g angs from our side of town were Gorgie Jungle , TCR and YBT plus smaller ones like YMASS,Suicide and Clerrie 

Stephane Grappelli

Slightly off topic but I mind Minnie Driver had a song that went "I bet everything I got in my pocket". It wasn't great to be honest, she should have just stuck to acting.

PRENTICE CROSSES

Yep the GORGIE BOOT BOYS a wild bunch indeed,made up of all the gangs in Edinburgh,the Hibs were not a force at all back in those days untill the casuals arrived.Remenber cup semi final v Dundee United at hampden 1973 maybe.All the sunday papers had a photograph of this United fan being led away with a stone sticking in his forehead,the terraces steps were all crumbling and bits were going back and forward.The Wolves fans running for their lives after the texaco cup second leg in Wolverhampton,Biggest mass brawl i have seen at a game was cup replay v celtic early 70s under the covered terracing all hell let loose the cops scared out of their wits.All memories now but often remembered in the BMC club before a game.

That's the fellow[emoji106] he was someone I always seen around when I was younger going in pubs before games with my old man, big scary lookin dude...it wasn't until I got on kick back and heard folks stories/memories of him I realised who he was..quite the character..theres a poster on here(sunning himself in france) who knew him pretty well from back in the day and some of the stories beggar belief...they'd make movies of the stuff that he got up,if it happened these days[emoji23]

spoke to him last week , the big man is still alive and kicking

living quietly nowadays

Yep the GORGIE BOOT BOYS a wild bunch indeed,made up of all the gangs in Edinburgh,the Hibs were not a force at all back in those days untill the casuals arrived.Remenber cup semi final v Dundee United at hampden 1973 maybe.All the sunday papers had a photograph of this United fan being led away with a stone sticking in his forehead,the terraces steps were all crumbling and bits were going back and forward.The Wolves fans running for their lives after the texaco cup second leg in Wolverhampton,Biggest mass brawl i have seen at a game was cup replay v celtic early 70s under the covered terracing all hell let loose the cops scared out of their wits.All memories now but often remembered in the BMC club before a game.

YLT and Lochend Shamrock were pretty hard and Hibs took huge numbers to their Fairs Cup games down south

By the sounds of it, these times were pretty grim.  I do see today's scene as horrific too but from the opposite scale.  Would love football today to be somwhere inbetween.

manaliveits105

Whenever  Gorgie and Clerry Jungle joined up there were big numbers - Barox and Young Mental Drylaw were always represented in the Hearts support. too

PRENTICE CROSSES

YLT and Lochend Shamrock were pretty hard and Hibs took huge numbers to their Fairs Cup games down south

Yep fair point,Hearts had more numbers is a better way of puting it.

millerjames398

Iirc the main g angs from our side of town were Gorgie Jungle , TCR and YBT plus smaller ones like YMASS,Suicide and Clerrie

Suicide?where were they from? Crazy name[emoji23]

spoke to him last week , the big man is still alive and kicking

living quietly nowadays

Good to hear.

:thumbsup:

Only knew him a wee bit but was at hundreds of games when he was about and had a good few beers with the big guy.

Absolute character and a very gently spoken man as well. Delighted to hear he's still on the go.

Archived