Kezia Dugdale to resign.

jambos are go!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jambos are go!

Mixed feelings for me. Not really into the rise of Corbynism but Labour has to reconnect with its working class support. That is bad news for the SNP and could deliver seats to Labour at the next General Election

Mixed feelings for me. Not really into the rise of Corbynism but Labour has to reconnect with its working class support. That is bad news for the SNP and could deliver seats to Labour at the next General Election

Any bad news for the SNP is good. The SNP are now the Blairite party.

She's not been a good leader. Her politics aren't all bad, she seems a nice lassie and her hearts in the right place.

Probably jumped before she was pushed.

Journalist Jamie Ross has quoted a Scottish Labour source as saying "We are going to get Rowley or Leonard. A ****ing disaster"

Can't help but disagree. Scottish Labour are in the centre of UK Labour. The party hasn't got many Corbynista's elected. So who's who to run?

Sarwar will no doubt run.

Rowley the Deputy Leader is a lefty.

Leonard, 2016 intake MSP, will no doubt step forward.

Pauline McNeil or Monica Lennon may also throw a hat in the ring.

I think Dugdale has done a good job. She's turned the debate on education and focused it on inequalities within education. She's pushed on local government rights and funding. Done well on equalities.

I think Labour is struggling to get a hearing because it's credibility in Scotland has waned. She was slowly building that back (amazingly with a shit team). This, to me, scuppers that progress.

Journalist Jamie Ross has quoted a Scottish Labour source as saying "We are going to get Rowley or Leonard. A ******* disaster"

Can't help but disagree. Scottish Labour are in the centre of UK Labour. The party hasn't got many Corbynista's elected. So who's who to run?

Sarwar will no doubt run.

Rowley the Deputy Leader is a lefty.

Leonard, 2016 intake MSP, will no doubt step forward.

Pauline McNeil or Monica Lennon may also throw a hat in the ring.

I think Dugdale has done a good job. She's turned the debate on education and focused it on inequalities within education. She's pushed on local government rights and funding. Done well on equalities.

I think Labour is struggling to get a hearing because it's credibility in Scotland has waned. She was slowly building that back (amazingly with a shit team). This, to me, scuppers that progress.

Imo it scuppers progress in the sense that SLab have been making attempts to move away from being seen as English Labour's mouthpiece in Scotland.

Dugdale was doing that, she has stuck to grass roots issues like education, healthcare, she's been anti trident but a bit wishy washy on Brexit which imo she should have stood against or centered themselves into a position of being an alternative to Tory Unionism and SNP Indy.

Now what's the future? Ram themselves up Corbyns jaxxy and ride a wee wave of populism for the time being before becoming even more unelectable again?

Kezia joining the SNP? Seen the light at last?

Thought you'd be along... the Record, paper she writes for, seems to have a big interview tomorrow with her. She's cited the death of a close friend as her reassessing what she wants in life.

Sky News appear to have got wind she intended to resign and events took over.

Wish her the best. It's not an easy job and she did well in the circumstances.

Imo it scuppers progress in the sense that SLab have been making attempts to move away from being seen as English Labour's mouthpiece in Scotland.

Dugdale was doing that, she has stuck to grass roots issues like education, healthcare, she's been anti trident but a bit wishy washy on Brexit which imo she should have stood against or centered themselves into a position of being an alternative to Tory Unionism and SNP Indy.

Now what's the future? Ram themselves up Corbyns jaxxy and ride a wee wave of populism for the time being before becoming even more unelectable again?

I think her focus on real issues was the best of her. Best of the oppisition leaders in Scotland for a while.

Events overtook her and her plans.

The electorate is shifting left. So a Findlay may attract more left wing voters to Labour.

I think - regardless of the party structure - has for too long been a circus. She was steadying the ship and making progress. But for whatever reasons she's resigned. Hopefully the transition is quick to maintain some control and not let the progress made in June be lost.

jambos are go!

I think her focus on real issues was the best of her. Best of the oppisition leaders in Scotland for a while.

Events overtook her and her plans.

The electorate is shifting left. So a Findlay may attract more left wing voters to Labour.

I think - regardless of the party structure - has for too long been a circus. She was steadying the ship and making progress. But for whatever reasons she's resigned. Hopefully the transition is quick to maintain some control and not let the progress made in June be lost.

Neil Findlay looks a real challenger IF he runs. Has said he wont in the past IIRC.

Neil Findlay looks a real challenger IF he runs. Has said he wont in the past IIRC.

He won't. But Sarwar will. Apparently he's been organising Corbyn events in Glasgow of late.

Shanks said no

Very Celtic

jambos are go!

She was dreadful and Labour in Scotland are woeful. Let's just watch the fun.

She managed to avoid being bested by the hapless Theresa May unlike Sturgeon.

Funny, I could've sworn Labour came third in Scotland in the last election.

BBC radio Scotland has us believing she was a great leader and pulled Scottish labour back from the brink.

Ignoring the fact Labour are sitting 3rd in Scotland behind the hated Tories.

Space Mackerel

BBC radio Scotland has us believing she was a great leader and pulled Scottish labour back from the brink.

BBC Scotland is full to the gunnels of Blairite and Brownite hacks.

"Hated", aye?

757k of your fellow countrymen disagree, only 200k less than the glorious SNP.

And, no, I did not vote for them but i cannot be bothered with that kind of rhetoric.

jambos are go!

Funny, I could've sworn Labour came third in Scotland in the last election.

To use a YES campaign slogan. The momentum was with the opponents of the SNP and they took huge scalps in Salmond and Robertson.

Space Mackerel

To use a YES campaign slogan. The momentum was with the opponents of the SNP and they took huge scalps in Salmond and Robertson.

Didn't take long for the JKB political thread to get underway with the SNP bashing.

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HaymarketJambo

She was a gift to the SNP and to the Tories as well sad to see her go.

Like or loathe her, she was very passionate about her causes - education, equality and welfare. When was the last speech from an SNP or Tory, Liberal or Green Holyrood politician given with as much passion as Dugdale on the rape clause on a non- constitutional issue? I don't recall it.

She's cited personal reasons (death of her close friend) as her reason for walking away from the leadership.

I'm adamant this won't be the last we see or hear from her in public life.

Stewart McDonald MP was a class act in what he said last night about her. As was Sturgeon. When opponents speak of you like that on your departure you've made waves.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think she was a decent leader but she didn't shout loud enough in a parliament where you have to come across as arrogant to be a party leader it seems.

John Findlay

I think she was a decent leader but she didn't shout loud enough in a parliament where you have to come across as arrogant to be a party leader it seems.

That was part of her problem. When she did shout loud in parliament she sounded like a banshee on speed.

Diadora Van Basten

She looked pretty stupid prior to the election claiming Scottish Labour were best placed to protect the union whilst Corbyn wasn't ruling out independence.

Seymour M Hersh

Just heard her speed talking on the news. Apart from the speed she waffles at her voice cuts through you. She'll be no loss to SLB or to my ears! 

deesidejambo

She likes a ham sandwich, not a sausage roll.

Got any videos of that? For, ahem, political research purposes of course.

JudyJudyJudy

Deckchairs at the ready....watch " Scottish Labour" implode....delicious. Great she has left, now its time to get rid of the other " Tory Lite" " Labour" mob,,,,,Ian Murray et al

Deckchairs at the ready....watch " Scottish Labour" implode....delicious. Great she has left, now its time to get rid of the other " Tory Lite" " Labour" mob,,,,,Ian Murray et al

Bitterness off the scale here.

Just remember at the leaders debates at the last general election, she had an open goal on the Tories, but tried to boot the ball at the SNP instead. A poor leader imho.

A good person though, heart in the right place etc etc, but any labour revival in Scotland was down to Corbyn, not her, again imho.

I think Labour have to be more receptive to constitutional change at National level, not just the Scottish party, for them to really coin it it.

deesidejambo

Just remember at the leaders debates at the last general election, she had an open goal on the Tories, but tried to boot the ball at the SNP instead. A poor leader imho.

A good person though, heart in the right place etc etc, but any labour revival in Scotland was down to Corbyn, not her, again imho.

I think Labour have to be more receptive to constitutional change at National level, not just the Scottish party, for them to really coin it it.

They should go for devo-max in Scotland. Drive a wedge between Unionists and Nationalist extremes and capture the middle-ground

They should go for devo-max in Scotland. Drive a wedge between Unionists and Nationalist extremes and capture the middle-ground

Nah, closing, padlocking and then demolishing the regional assembly should be the direction of travel.

Space Mackerel

What is devo max? Explain.

Thing is Boris, the SNP are the incumbent Scottish government (and in many a Scottish seat) so you need to fight a campaign on both fronts.

Think Dugdale did well at cementing the Labour constitutional view. Added to that she was a strong advocate of deepening the UK party to more constitutional change at UK level.

Her departure may weaken that plank of Scottish Labour. However, I fully expect a Sarwar leadership next. No one else seems willing to step forward. I've said it before but Dugdale was the right and best leader for Scottish Labour at present. She was running a tight ship and pushing new candidates up the party which had become stagnant. Membership was up too.

JC has done a lot to assist and certainly helped in May. But Kezia had carried out a lot of the ground work for that in the past 2 years.

Nah, closing, padlocking and then demolishing the regional assembly should be the direction of travel.

You're just being silly now.

JudyJudyJudy

Whos bitter now !!!

deesidejambo

Whos bitter now !!!

It would make a decent Fringe venue though. Or an IMax Cinema?

May as well get some use from it.

Thing is Boris, the SNP are the incumbent Scottish government (and in many a Scottish seat) so you need to fight a campaign on both fronts.

Think Dugdale did well at cementing the Labour constitutional view. Added to that she was a strong advocate of deepening the UK party to more constitutional change at UK level.

Her departure may weaken that plank of Scottish Labour. However, I fully expect a Sarwar leadership next. No one else seems willing to step forward. I've said it before but Dugdale was the right and best leader for Scottish Labour at present. She was running a tight ship and pushing new candidates up the party which had become stagnant. Membership was up too.

JC has done a lot to assist and certainly helped in May. But Kezia had carried out a lot of the ground work for that in the past 2 years.

I get your point about fighting on two fronts, but the Tories have essentially cornered the unionist vote in Scotland.  There was a time when Labour won in Aberdeen and the like, but it's like they rolled over for the Tories up there.  Had they won those seats, based on attracting the unionist and anti SNP vote, Corbyn may well have become PM!  I can't help but think that at the Westminster election, Labour in Scotland was more intent on beating the SNP than the bigger picture of stopping the Tories.  To me that was insular, small minded and ultimately futile.

Dugdale had her view on the constitution, but at UK level, theparty hierarchy did little to say they agreed or would follow through with it.  That's not Dugdale's fault, indeed any new leader will face the same intransigence from the labour leadership, imo.

All roads lead to Gorgie

That was part of her problem. When she did shout loud in parliament she sounded like a banshee on speed.

I think it was down to nerves when up against the smugness of Davidson in particular. The lack of respect for other view points and cheap point scoring is the most disappointing thing about the Scottish Parliament and I wish the members would listen to the points being made instead of shouting each other down even when policies are agreeable across party lines. That is so Westminster.

Archived