Old Edinburgh pubs

JWL

The new West End
7 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Along the road at the Conan Doyle some punters would shoplift to order from the old St.James Centre. 

Mr Qs in Rose Street was the worst / best for that! Easy access to all the big stores

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• the general

18 minutes ago, The new West End said:

You are thinking of Froth and Flame

Easy mistake

🤣 Cheers I’m not even close. Pub mentioned  opposite the old Grosvenor? 

The new West End
8 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

🤣 Cheers I’m not even close. Pub mentioned  opposite the old Grosvenor? 

Yip the auld GBH  hangout

The new West End
28 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Previous Names

image.png.bb15a361410e71f54f1b050c78140d11.png

Talk is that at least one of those was a money laundering joint. : )

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Originally the Quaich

Quaich Shandwick PL.png

That’s the name I was trying to remember.

Thanks for that.

New Town Loafer
21 hours ago, flogel41 said:

It was Au bar last I think. Before that Dan MacKays and maybe Nimmos before that.

I’m sure it was something different before Au Bar, other than those mentioned.

Used to frequent the Worlds End on the Royal Mile, when I was an apprentice 50 or so years ago. Still there as far as I know and has been for centuries. 

Does anyone remember Kelly's Cavern which was part of a hotel on Royal Terrace? Can't remember the name of the hotel. 

Used to drink there on Sunday nights back in the 70's when only hotels were allowed to open.

My mate who also drank there didn't think it was the Ailsa Craig but couldn't remember either. 

Actual hotel may no longer exist but can't put a name to it. ☹️

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Does anyone remember Kelly's Cavern which was part of a hotel on Royal Terrace? Can't remember the name of the hotel. 

Used to drink there on Sunday nights back in the 70's when only hotels were allowed to open.

My mate who also drank there didn't think it was the Ailsa Craig but couldn't remember either. 

Actual hotel may no longer exist but can't put a name to it. ☹️

I also drunk in there in the mid to late 70s. I can't remember the name, but it may just have been the Royal Terrace Hotel (which still exists).

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I also drunk in there in the mid to late 70s. I can't remember the name, but it may just have been the Royal Terrace Hotel (which still exists).

Cheers FF. I'll try that on my mate. I haven't been up that way for some time and can't even remember roughly which end of Royal Terrace it was at.

9 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Cheers FF. I'll try that on my mate. I haven't been up that way for some time and can't even remember roughly which end of Royal Terrace it was at.

The only bar name I can find on Royal Terrace is the Dream Bar previously called the Chesterfield and the Claymore.

Found this on Google  unfortunately no location given for the bar.

Possibly Kelly's Cavern 1

Edited by Stuart Lyon

The new West End

Drank in one of the hotel bars up there .. probably late 70s v Hibs obviously

Sure it was at far end behind path that took you down to London Road toilets

Footballfirst
26 minutes ago, The new West End said:

IIRC Kelly's was near the middle of the street. I stayed not too far away in Haddington Place at the time.

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The only bar name I can find on Royal Terrace is the Dream Bar previously called the Chesterfield and the Claymore.

Found this on Google  unfortunately no location given for the bar.

Possibly Kelly's Cavern 1

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

IIRC Kelly's was near the middle of the street. I stayed not too far away in Haddington Place at the time.

Thanks guys. The Claymore actually sounds familiar but I drank in a few hotels up that way back in day for the Sunday license.

Also went up Royal Terrace for New Year's Day fixtures though that may have been the Ailsa Craig. Was in there the year the game was called off. One guy in our crowd just opened up the piano and rattled out a selection of songs (the type probably frowned upon these days) but led to a full blooded sing song back then.

Anyway thanks again for comments.

5 hours ago, The new West End said:

Could it have been the Skean Dhu Hotel?

We used to go there before the derbies at Fester Road.

The new West End
57 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Could it have been the Skean Dhu Hotel?

We used to go there before the derbies at Fester Road.

I think you are correct sir!

2 minutes ago, The new West End said:

I think you are correct sir!

Downstairs bar, if I remember correctly?

The new West End
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Downstairs bar, if I remember correctly?

Yip

As an aside the hotel 

24 Royal Terrace has a cracking beer garden  and whisky bar

Footballfirst

Here's someone's list of pubs from the 1976 Edinburgh Pub Guide. (I had a copy of that one at the time).  There's not many I haven't been in 😇.  Also, not many that haven't changed their names or have closed permanently.

Old Town

Doric and McGuffies, The Flying Scotsman, The Carlton Hotel, Halfway House, Jinglin' Geordies, Ensign Ewarts, Deacon Brodie's, Royal George, The Covenanters, The Royal Mile Centre, Royal Mile Bar, Valentines, The Black Swan, Adelphi Hotel, The Wig and Pen, Jim's Inn, Plevna Lounge, Yellow Carvel, World's End, The Allan Ramsay, The Lorna Doon, The Mitre Bar, The Waverley, Royal Archers, The White Horse, The Blue Blanket, Tolbooth Tavern, Jenny Ha's, The Snuffbox, Holyrood Bar, Green Tree, Nips O Brandy, Greyfriars Bobby, Candlemaker Arms, The Honeypot, Carriers Rest, Fiddler's Arms, White Hart Inn, The Last Drop, The Beehive, The Cauldron, Nicky Tam's / Espionage, The Tap o' Lauriston, Lord Darnley, The Western Bar, Jessie's Bar, The Burke and Hare, The Garrick, The Blue Blazer, The Castle Arms, Chez Fred / The Chateau, The Lochiel, Doyles

New Town

Albyn / Denmark Rooms, Denzlers, York Bar, Shelbourne Lounge (Osborne Hotel), Leerie's Lamplighter Bar and Lounge, Green Tree (Castle St), Zodiac, Oxford Bar, The Bandwagon, Victoria and Albert, The World, Henderson's, Jolly Carter's Inn, Milne's Bar, Beau Brummel, Three Tuns, Daniel Brown's, The Gordon Arms, Rose and Crown, Scotts, The Galloping Major, The Kenilworth, Rose Revived, The Tankard, The Auld Hundred, Robertson's Bar, White Cockade, Cottars Howff, The Abbotsford, The Grand, The Dunedin, Traveller's Tryst, Ivanhoe, The Guildford Arms, The Cafe Royal, The Whip and Saddle, The Spot, Mons Meg Tavern, Talisman Bar, New Town Hotels (Royal British, Mount Royal, Palace, Caledonian, The Roxburgh, St Andrews, George - Perigord Bar, King James, North British), Stockbridge (Raeburn Bar, Raeburn House Hotel, John's Bar, The Rag Doll, The Dean, Territorial Bar, Silver Buckle, The Baillie, The Antiquary, Christopher North Hotel, Kay's Bar), New Town Hotel, St Vincent Bar, The Tilted Wig, Hotels on Royal Circus (Royal Circus, Craigholme, Myrim, Glencairn), Clarke's Bar, More Hotels (Drummond Hotel, The County Hotel, The Nelson Hotel), Star Tavern, The Highwayman

North Edinburgh

Abbeyhill (Lovat Bar, Regent Buffet, The Cairns Bar, Station Bar, Artisan Bar), Easter Road (Middleton's, Mac's Bar, Four-in-hand, Royal Nip, Iona Bar, Tamson's Bar, Cooper's Rest), Leith Walk (Quarter Gill, Weigh Inn, The Mayfair, The Elm Bar, Joseph Pearce, The Windsor Buffet, Brunswick Lounge, The Cairn Hotel, Albert Bar, The Halfway House, Boundary Bar, Pilrig Arms, Shrub Bar, Clan Tavern, Strathmore Bar, Dizzy Lizzy), Broughton (The Abercraig Hotel, Mather's Bar, Albany Bar, The Bastille Bar, The Barony Bar, Broughton Bar, Stag's Head Bar and Lounge, Old Coach Inn, The Northern Bar), Royal Terrace Hotels (Sgian Dubh Hotel, Park Hotel, Menzies Hotel, Arden Hotel,
Claymore Hotel, Raeburn Hotel), Waterloo Bar

South Edinburgh

The Pivot, Rutherford's, Stewart's Bar, Doolittle's, The Phoenix Bar, Wee Anderson's, The Southsider, The Trot Inn, The New Edinburgh Bar, The Green Mantle, The Red Garter / The New Vic, The Grapes, The Southern, Abbey Buffet, The Junction Bar, The Wine Glass, The Falcon Arms, The Victoria Bar, Ye Old Grange Tavern, Gold Tankard, Jamie's Bar, The Sherry Bar, Leslie's Bar, Argyll Bar, Totem Bar, Buccleuch Arms, The Meadow Bar, University (Teviot Room, Park Room, Sportsman's Bar, Potterrow Bar, Chambers Street Bar), Tony's Cellar Bar, The Mortar, Forrest Hill Bar / Sandy Bell's, The Captains Bar, Bill's Bar, The Auld Hoose, The Rock, The Park Inn, Jeannie Dean's Tryste

West Edinburgh

Haymarket Bar, Ryrie's, Grosvenor Centre Hotel, Hotel Ritz, Palmerston Hotel, West End Hotel, Rothesay Hotel, Thistle Hotel, The Haymarket, The Randolph, Mather's Bar, West End, Le Bistro, The Melville, The Auld House, The Epicure, The Grosvenor, The Maitland Hotel, The Quaich, The Osborne Bar, Fagan's, The Beer and Bite, Rutland Hotel, The Burnt Post, Anderson's / The Copper Top, The Lochrin, Franco's Office Bar, The Penthouse, Burlington Berty's, Bennet's, The Old Toll
Bar, Orlando Hotel / Orange Grove, Chic Murray's, Bruntsfield Hotel, The Kestrel Bar, Golf Tavern, Bennet's Bar, The Canny Man's / Volunteer Arms, The Merlin, The Hermitage 

The Best of the Rest

The King's Wark, The Bay Horse, Noble's, Prestonfield House, Old Chain Pier, The Athletic Arms / Gravediggers, Cramond Inn, The Hawes Inn, The Sheep Heid, Piershill Tavern

Edited by Footballfirst

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Aptly named - there was a shooting on the opening week IIRC.

Also, I had a mate who drank in there back in the early 80s who told me he saw a group of guys come in with sawn off shotguns and shot the sh!t out of the place. 

periodictabledancer
On 11/10/2023 at 17:23, Footballfirst said:

Here's someone's list of pubs from the 1976 Edinburgh Pub Guide. (I had a copy of that one at the time).  There's not many I haven't been in 😇.  Also, not many that haven't changed their names or have closed permanently.

Old Town

Doric and McGuffies, The Flying Scotsman, The Carlton Hotel, Halfway House, Jinglin' Geordies, Ensign Ewarts, Deacon Brodie's, Royal George, The Covenanters, The Royal Mile Centre, Royal Mile Bar, Valentines, The Black Swan, Adelphi Hotel, The Wig and Pen, Jim's Inn, Plevna Lounge, Yellow Carvel, World's End, The Allan Ramsay, The Lorna Doon, The Mitre Bar, The Waverley, Royal Archers, The White Horse, The Blue Blanket, Tolbooth Tavern, Jenny Ha's, The Snuffbox, Holyrood Bar, Green Tree, Nips O Brandy, Greyfriars Bobby, Candlemaker Arms, The Honeypot, Carriers Rest, Fiddler's Arms, White Hart Inn, The Last Drop, The Beehive, The Cauldron, Nicky Tam's / Espionage, The Tap o' Lauriston, Lord Darnley, The Western Bar, Jessie's Bar, The Burke and Hare, The Garrick, The Blue Blazer, The Castle Arms, Chez Fred / The Chateau, The Lochiel, Doyles

New Town

Albyn / Denmark Rooms, Denzlers, York Bar, Shelbourne Lounge (Osborne Hotel), Leerie's Lamplighter Bar and Lounge, Green Tree (Castle St), Zodiac, Oxford Bar, The Bandwagon, Victoria and Albert, The World, Henderson's, Jolly Carter's Inn, Milne's Bar, Beau Brummel, Three Tuns, Daniel Brown's, The Gordon Arms, Rose and Crown, Scotts, The Galloping Major, The Kenilworth, Rose Revived, The Tankard, The Auld Hundred, Robertson's Bar, White Cockade, Cottars Howff, The Abbotsford, The Grand, The Dunedin, Traveller's Tryst, Ivanhoe, The Guildford Arms, The Cafe Royal, The Whip and Saddle, The Spot, Mons Meg Tavern, Talisman Bar, New Town Hotels (Royal British, Mount Royal, Palace, Caledonian, The Roxburgh, St Andrews, George - Perigord Bar, King James, North British), Stockbridge (Raeburn Bar, Raeburn House Hotel, John's Bar, The Rag Doll, The Dean, Territorial Bar, Silver Buckle, The Baillie, The Antiquary, Christopher North Hotel, Kay's Bar), New Town Hotel, St Vincent Bar, The Tilted Wig, Hotels on Royal Circus (Royal Circus, Craigholme, Myrim, Glencairn), Clarke's Bar, More Hotels (Drummond Hotel, The County Hotel, The Nelson Hotel), Star Tavern, The Highwayman

North Edinburgh

Abbeyhill (Lovat Bar, Regent Buffet, The Cairns Bar, Station Bar, Artisan Bar), Easter Road (Middleton's, Mac's Bar, Four-in-hand, Royal Nip, Iona Bar, Tamson's Bar, Cooper's Rest), Leith Walk (Quarter Gill, Weigh Inn, The Mayfair, The Elm Bar, Joseph Pearce, The Windsor Buffet, Brunswick Lounge, The Cairn Hotel, Albert Bar, The Halfway House, Boundary Bar, Pilrig Arms, Shrub Bar, Clan Tavern, Strathmore Bar, Dizzy Lizzy), Broughton (The Abercraig Hotel, Mather's Bar, Albany Bar, The Bastille Bar, The Barony Bar, Broughton Bar, Stag's Head Bar and Lounge, Old Coach Inn, The Northern Bar), Royal Terrace Hotels (Sgian Dubh Hotel, Park Hotel, Menzies Hotel, Arden Hotel,
Claymore Hotel, Raeburn Hotel), Waterloo Bar

South Edinburgh

The Pivot, Rutherford's, Stewart's Bar, Doolittle's, The Phoenix Bar, Wee Anderson's, The Southsider, The Trot Inn, The New Edinburgh Bar, The Green Mantle, The Red Garter / The New Vic, The Grapes, The Southern, Abbey Buffet, The Junction Bar, The Wine Glass, The Falcon Arms, The Victoria Bar, Ye Old Grange Tavern, Gold Tankard, Jamie's Bar, The Sherry Bar, Leslie's Bar, Argyll Bar, Totem Bar, Buccleuch Arms, The Meadow Bar, University (Teviot Room, Park Room, Sportsman's Bar, Potterrow Bar, Chambers Street Bar), Tony's Cellar Bar, The Mortar, Forrest Hill Bar / Sandy Bell's, The Captains Bar, Bill's Bar, The Auld Hoose, The Rock, The Park Inn, Jeannie Dean's Tryste

West Edinburgh

Haymarket Bar, Ryrie's, Grosvenor Centre Hotel, Hotel Ritz, Palmerston Hotel, West End Hotel, Rothesay Hotel, Thistle Hotel, The Haymarket, The Randolph, Mather's Bar, West End, Le Bistro, The Melville, The Auld House, The Epicure, The Grosvenor, The Maitland Hotel, The Quaich, The Osborne Bar, Fagan's, The Beer and Bite, Rutland Hotel, The Burnt Post, Anderson's / The Copper Top, The Lochrin, Franco's Office Bar, The Penthouse, Burlington Berty's, Bennet's, The Old Toll
Bar, Orlando Hotel / Orange Grove, Chic Murray's, Bruntsfield Hotel, The Kestrel Bar, Golf Tavern, Bennet's Bar, The Canny Man's / Volunteer Arms, The Merlin, The Hermitage 

The Best of the Rest

The King's Wark, The Bay Horse, Noble's, Prestonfield House, Old Chain Pier, The Athletic Arms / Gravediggers, Cramond Inn, The Hawes Inn, The Sheep Heid, Piershill Tavern

Denzler's was a bar ? 
Wasn't it a (Swiss) restauarant ? 

5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Denzler's was a bar ? 

It was. We had an Office do there.  Wasn't my normal type of establishment as a 17year old laddie!

periodictabledancer
13 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

It was. We had an Office do there.  Wasn't my normal type of establishment as a 17year old laddie!

Is it the place that became some upmarket Japanese restuarant  ? 

I'm sure I took my missus there for her birthday, not long after Fuzzy Zoeller had hired the whole place for his Open win bash. Got food poisoning. 

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Is it the place that became some upmarket Japanese restuarant  ? 

I'm sure I took my missus there for her birthday, not long after Fuzzy Zoeller had hired the whole place for his Open win bash. Got food poisoning. 

I really can't remember what it turned into after Denzlers. I do remember the meal in Denzlers was excellent. On saying that my experience of dining out at that time was more like chips in the park.

I certainly didn't get food poisoning so the change to Japanese cuisine seems to have been a backward step! 

The new West End
3 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Denzler's was a bar ? 

One of the top restaurants in Edinburgh at the time

Our first office Xmas bash was upstairs in the Beehive which was eye wateringly expensive for a 17 year old.

10 hours ago, stuart500 said:

I really can't remember what it turned into after Denzlers. I do remember the meal in Denzlers was excellent. On saying that my experience of dining out at that time was more like chips in the park.

I certainly didn't get food poisoning so the change to Japanese cuisine seems to have been a backward step! 

Don't know if it was immediately after being Denzler's but it was the Drum & Monkey and then 80 Queen Street. Now occupied by Knight Frank estate agents.

The new West End
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Don't know if it was immediately after being Denzler's but it was the Drum & Monkey and then 80 Queen Street. Now occupied by Knight Frank estate agents.

I'm sure it has had another name 

It was quite a trendy place for a while

• 2 months later...
Rambo-the-Jambo
On 21/02/2022 at 20:26, Morgan said:

I don’t think it’s been ‘decades’.

I’m sure it was also known as The Scotsman Bar.

60s Photo of a local group the Karlins, showing the Arcade Bar:

image.png.5090eee9ffedb3f8c6303ed82d5e150a.png

Rambo-the-Jambo
On 12/08/2022 at 09:41, the general said:

Montys closing end of month

Landlords Caley Heritable putting up rent and wanting a 'normal' tennant

Closed because Caley Heritable wanted them to instal Caley ale which they refused to do (sold great real ale, Orkney Brewerey etc) so it changed hands and now sells Caley ale and now called Hebrides West End.

AyrJambo

Great thread! Bringing back so many memories

Anyone remember Mr Lee's at Bruntsfield - chinese restaurant but had a cocktail bar downstairs where we were guaranteed to get served - was still at school in Edinburgh then so about 15/16 around 1976/77?

Pints of lager with Blue Lagoon or Tequila Sunrise chasers

Also is Jinglin Geordies still on the go?

Served a fine pint of Tennants

Was a barman there around 1979/80 while at Napier College - owned by David Scrimgeour who looking back now probably drank most of the profits!

Manager was a big (literally) Hearts man Bernie I think and barmaids Dot and Evelyn

The Scotsman newspaper was still being produced on North Bridge then so most nights production workers would fill the place up on their break about 9 or 10 pm

George Best used to hold court sometimes when he was playing for Hibs - remember punters buying him drinks which we would line up along the bar

Seems a lifetime away now

5 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Anyone remember Mr Lee's at Bruntsfield - chinese restaurant but had a cocktail bar downstairs where we were guaranteed to get served - was still at school in Edinburgh then so about 15/16 around 1976/77?

Was a barman there around 1979/80 while at Napier College - owned by David Scrimgeour who looking back now probably drank most of the profits!

Manager was a big (literally) Hearts man Bernie I think and barmaids Dot and Evelyn

The Scotsman newspaper was still being produced on North Bridge then so most nights production workers would fill the place up on their break about 9 or 10 pm

George Best used to hold court sometimes when he was playing for Hibs - remember punters buying him drinks which we would line up along the bar

Mr Lee's at Bruntsfield later became known as the Lee-on, I think?

It only closed down recently!

gogsfaepenrith
On 24/02/2022 at 15:06, Section Q said:

Yep. All painted blue. If memory serves correct they found a large stash of guns in the building hence why was locked up. Evening news gave a small column to it. Wasn't/isn't a well known story.

Sure it a big king billy painting - picture above the bar. Actually thinking now it might have been a mirror 

gogsfaepenrith
On 24/02/2022 at 20:06, Tazio said:

The story we used to hear was that the police raided it on a tip off but couldn’t find anything. Then a young constable noticed that the glasses from the shelf under the bar, that were on top of it now, filled the whole depth when on the shelf but not when they were on top. So they pulled the front off the bar and guns were stashed there. All just waiting to be sent to Ulster. Could be nonsense but that was the story that went around. 

Sure the volunteer arms in Leith Walk was the same mid seventies,  gun were in the cellar and getting sent to Ireland 

New Town Loafer
19 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Still on the go, mate. Pal of mine was there only a couple days ago.

scott herbertson
19 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Used to meet there before heading off to away games in the late 70s. reason we went there was one of the guys (Whitey) was an accountant at the Scotsman so you could always get him there. A few shandies before setting off to the wilds of Methil or Alloa. My mates with the car were older guys so had been bto Spain on a package holday. We always  drank some evil cocktail called a Solle Sombre just before setting off - complete with cocktail umbrella sticks.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Canny Man to expand with 16 room extension on their car park.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24137022.edinburgh-morningside-canny-mans-hotel-set-approval/

The small Lane Boutique Hotel they have is already fantastic, so I’m sure this venture will be another huge success for Tris and the team.

• 3 weeks later...
John Findlay
33 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Last May before the Springsteen concert at Murrayfield, I took my four mates up from Liverpool in there for a pre-concert pint or two. They all thought it was a great pub, and they were not wrong.