Hitting kids

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

I heard a bit of a commotion in our stairwell about 20 minutes ago and got up to see what it was. The father of the kid who lives upstairs was giving his son a really hard time about something and sounded mega annoyed.

I then watch them as they go outside as they pass my kitchen window to get up the stairs to school, and he grabs his laddie by the hair, drags him backwards, and slaps him open handed right across the front of his face really hard! :evilno:

The poor wee lad (who I think is 8 or 9) didn't know what day of the week it was ffs!

I really don't care what the laddie had done, he didn't deserve to be treated like that, but I know the parents are not quite all there up top and didn't know what to do.

I was bloody raging though and told Linda what I had just witnessed, and she said that it might be better if she had a word with him rather than me do it because I'd probably lose the rag with him after that which could cause more problems.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick up replies until later as I have the electricians in today sorting out a wiring problem and ripping a ceiling down, but would like to know what any of you out there would do regarding this.

Cheers :mad:

The Old Tolbooth
999?

There's a difference between a slap on the backside and a full on assault.

Yeah I know mate, I'm still boiling over it and it's not like me to get so wound up over something.

Some folk don't deserve kids, I'll wait until Linda comes back and see what she says.

The Old Tolbooth
Tonk him. Ask questions later.

That was my initial thoughts Wattie, had I had something on my feet I think I'd have been out there but it wouldn't make matters any better really, and the poor lad would have probably got it in the neck further from his arsehole parents.

Tonk him. Ask questions later.

Agreed.

There's disciplining a child and there's being cowardly, physically abusing barsteward.

Although, if he is that cowardly to begin with, he'd probably take out his frustration at being on the receiving end of a belting from you out onto the laddie.

ToadKiller Dog

A hard one john if you went to sort it out ,its possible that the guy would/could take it out on the kid again later ,i wouldnt let linda go either if he has no fear of bullying his kid i doubt he would have any problem hitting a woman.

Is this a one off? have you heard /scene it happen before or is this a one off?.

Not one for telling tales as i imagine you would be also ,i would keep a eye out for it ,and maybe consider a quiet word with social services if there are signs of abuse.

The Old Tolbooth
A hard one john if you went to sort it out ,its possible that the guy would/could take it out on the kid again later ,i wouldnt let linda go either if he has no fear of bullying his kid i doubt he would have any problem hitting a woman.

Is this a one off? have you heard /scene it happen before or is this a one off?.

Not one for telling tales as i imagine you would be also ,i would keep a eye out for it ,and maybe consider a quiet word with social services if there are signs of abuse.

It's the first time I've witnessed it, but the other neighbours on the stair have all seen or heard things.

As for hitting Linda, that would be his death knell! :sterb147:

In fact, even I'm not brave enough to hit Linda :confused:

Doctor FinnBarr

They really don,t deserve kids! If Kay does something wrong grounding her or removing her DS is all thats required, hurts her more than a smack in the face ever could.

:mad:

Darth Sidious

My boys are full of cheek and I admit I lose the rag sometimes. But I would never ever pull them by their hair and smack their face. Disgrace and the kid will grow up thinking thats the norm.

blondejamtart

As others have said, confronting him directly may lead to him taking it out further on the child. I'd be tempted to ring social services and alert them to the situation.

The Old Tolbooth

I've rung social services and I'm currently waiting on a call back, why do I feel bad for doing it?

I know it's the right thing to do though.

I've rung social services and I'm currently waiting on a call back, why do I feel bad for doing it?

Don't feel bad mate, you never know they may already have complaints about this guy, and at the end of the day your doing it in the best interests of the wee boy.

I have two girls (7 and 6) and on the whole they are well behaved (unlike me at that age!!) :) But now and again a gentle smack on the bottom does no go a miss, but as people say there is a BIG difference between a smack and beating.

You should never feel bad about phoning John. Its better to phone and find out its nothing than not phone at all. Social services will have to carry out some kind of investigation and many things will be taken into account. Predisposing factors may be used (not an excuse but an explanation) and other people will be asked what they have seen and heard probably including yourself.

You'll probably be feeling bad due to the effects it'll have on the wee boy. But he'll be better somewhere safe rather than having his dad knocking ten bells out of him.

Dr. Bapswent
Unreal. Supporting Leeds does not make one a thug.

Someone smashing a kid off the face deserves all they get.

What if he had been caught shooting up while tonking his wee sister and sacrificing the pet dog to satan?

ToadKiller Dog

You have done the right thing,its natural to feel a wee bit bad about it ,shows you have considered your options thats all.

The Old Tolbooth

Social services are obviously a caring bunch, they aint phoned back yet!

:waiting:

Dont worry about that John. They will be in discussions about what to do. Its not a simple case of phoning back and going steaming in.

It's about time MORE people "Interfered" when children are involved...You've done Bang on the Right thing John!

How would you feel if you done nothing, then a few months/years later the wee lad is found injured or worse after his Dad decides he's just "not taking a telling"...Well done mate, and I hope the boy is okay...

Oh, and Leave it a few weeks and Just kick the Fathers ^^^^ in for no reason, Make sure he doesn't know it's you though!! ;)

Walter Kidd
What if he had been caught shooting up while tonking his wee sister and sacrificing the pet dog to satan?

Eh?

chester copperpot

John, is this the jakey guy from your stair?

From the stories you've told me about this couple, I'm not all that surprised that he's done this.

Sounds bang out of order slapping a kid about like that. As said above, there's a difference between a wee spank to a full slap right across the coupon.

The Old Tolbooth
John, is this the jakey guy from your stair?

From the stories you've told me about this couple, I'm not all that surprised that he's done this.

Aye it's the very bloke mate, he needs leathered for what he did like.

Generic Username

John,

Get yourself dressed up in full school boy uniform, go to their door, ring the bell, tell them you're their wee lads pal from school and proceed to melt the pair of them.

Bin the diguise afterwards and your home scot free!

The Old Tolbooth
John,

Get yourself dressed up in full school boy uniform, go to their door, ring the bell, tell them you're their wee lads pal from school and proceed to melt the pair of them.

Bin the diguise afterwards and your home scot free!

:D :D :D

Linda is actually cringing at the thought of me in a schoolboy uniform!

Generic Username

Or...

Dress up as a woman, or perhaps a gimp, even a famous dead celebrity, and give him a whack over the heid.

Nothing makes you feel like more of a goon that getting smacked in the face by a bloke in drag, believe me...

What you mean she doesn't have the same fantasies of seeing you in a school uniform as you do of her ;)

The Old Tolbooth
What you mean she doesn't have the same fantasies of seeing you in a school uniform as you do of her ;)

Crikey, I was gonna post a pic of a woman in a school uniform, you should see what comes up when you google it!! :eek::eek:

:P

Crikey, I was gonna post a pic of a woman in a school uniform, you should see what comes up when you google it!! :eek::eek:

:P

I will when I get home ;)

The Old Tolbooth

Just had the social workers back on the phone, they said that I could remain anonymous if I wanted to, however I said that I didn't want that and was happy to do any interview that they might want me to take part in.

They also said that they will be in touch with the police who will probably be in touch with me for a statement at some point.

Just had the social workers back on the phone, they said that I could remain anonymous if I wanted to, however I said that I didn't want that and was happy to do any interview that they might want me to take part in.

They also said that they will be in touch with the police who will probably be in touch with me for a statement at some point.

You've done the right thing John. Sounds a lot worse than a clip round the lug hole.

The Old Tolbooth
You've done the right thing John. Sounds a lot worse than a clip round the lug hole.

He treats his kids like dirt mate, you should see what he makes them do.

We have wheely bins that need to be dragged up about 20 stairs before the council will lift them, and he makes his laddie drag them up, and the wheely bin is bigger than him!

I think the thing that got to me most this morning is the look of fear on his face as his dad laid into him, he genuinely looked dazed too.

Piece of S**t, there are some people who do not deserve the privalege of bring up children, it makes me sick to hear things like this, when all most parents want to do is protect and nurture their kids.

Yes sometimes they can drive you mad, but to scare them and hurt them is unforgivable.

blondejamtart

You've definitely done the right thing and no need to feel bad about it at all. Just think how you would feel if (god forbid) the worst came to the worst and something really bad happened to the poor kid. How often do you read cases where kids have been badly abused and even killed, and the neighbours say how they wished they'd reported their suspicions at the time.

Definately done the right thing. Their is disciplining and then their is GBH.

Folk that hit (I mean proper beating not a timid smack) their kids or wives really are ****.

By phoning child services it really could result in the boy having a much better life.

Jambof3tornado

Well done John,a hard decision to make but if the father carries on like that in public whats he doing to them behind closed doors.

Any action social services take wont be based solely on what you have seen,as they will want to speak to the child and the childs school etc.

Sounds like its about time someone stood up to the bullying barstweard!!!

Guest S.U.S.S.

Dont feel bad, if its a one off or something like that he will get a stern word i would imagine, if its more serious and regular you may have well saved a childs childhood memories.

The only hope is the social do their jobs and dont let anothe slip through the net.

I'm with all the rest on this John. You definately did the right thing. Anybody who abuses kids like that, wants locking up! Hopefully the wee fellah will get through his childhood with no ill effects. Poor wee chap.

Lynn

The Old Tolbooth

[modedit]

The police have been and interviewed me, next step is speaking to the kid in question, and his school, and they said they would keep me informed of how things pan out.

The funny thing is, when the police woman came to the door, the guy that battered his kid came into the flat at the same time :confused:

I had just sent you a PM John before reading the whole thread.

You have done the right thing.

I think we have to establish what is hititng and what is 'hitting'

The poor wee lad in the OP sounds like he was the victim of harsh hitting. Perhaps the dad who was doing the hitting should maybe experience some himself:mad:

I think a wee skelp on the bum does a child no harm, it certainly has been tried and tested through the years

If you ask me there is a serious lack of discipline in children nowadays but there is a serious line that must neevr be crossed concerning kids :mad:

Don't feel bad mate - you done the right thing :)

Well done John. The world needs more decent guys like you who are willing to step up and do something about the @rses that ruin the lives of everyone else.

If you ignored this and events like this happened again to the wee guy (which seems quite likely) you would feel 100 times worse that you hadn't done something before. heinsight can be a wonderful thing. When you look back you will see you've saved that wee guy from a really crappy time.

Out of interest whats his mother like?

The Old Tolbooth
Well done John. The world needs more decent guys like you who are willing to step up and do something about the @rses that ruin the lives of everyone else.

If you ignored this and events like this happened again to the wee guy (which seems quite likely) you would feel 100 times worse that you hadn't done something before. heinsight can be a wonderful thing. When you look back you will see you've saved that wee guy from a really crappy time.

Out of interest whats his mother like?

She's downtrodden by him, but she treats the kids poorly also, not nearly as bad as him though from what I've seen so far.

She's downtrodden by him, but she treats the kids poorly also, not nearly as bad as him though from what I've seen so far.

I assume all has ben quiet since yesterday, do you know if the police paid him a visit?

The Old Tolbooth
I assume all has ben quiet since yesterday, do you know if the police paid him a visit?

I don't think the police visited (unless they were plain clothed), however there were 2 women visited them who looked very much like social workers yesterday afternoon.

It's all been very quiet since though

No Nonsense

Just noticed this thread.... the law says that reasonable chastisement of children is still permissable. This is fine IMO and did me no harm as a youngster, however any hitting to the head or face is not permitted. This is a clear breach of the law and the guy should be brought to task for it. In my opinion the man is a coward, and is not intelligent enough to discipline his child in the proper manner. Good job son!

social workers have been there again today, so they are obviously watching them very carefully.

I spoke to the wee man when he came back from school yesterday but he was very quiet, and just looked at the ground when i spoke, wee shame for him.

social workers have been there again today, so they are obviously watching them very carefully.

I spoke to the wee man when he came back from school yesterday but he was very quiet, and just looked at the ground when i spoke, wee shame for him.

Is nice to hear that the kid at least has some responsible adults looking out for his welfare, it's too easy to look the other way these days and hope that someone else will deal with it, you've both probably saved the wee lad a serious going over later down the line.

Good to hear, there should be a law against bar stewards like them breeding.

Archived