Neilson - the player

Salvator

queensferryjambo

Decent player for Hearts a steady Eddie type that every team could do with.

Won a Scotland cap with his hard work.

Played a massive part in us winning the Scottish Cup and his contribution stopped us being humiliated by a Gretna team in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diadora Van Basten

6 or 7 out of 10 every week.

Never an 8 or 9, but likewise never a 4 or 5.

I would agree with this. I didn't rate him as a player but his effort and energy would mean that he got a 6 or 7 every game.

Nookie Bear

I'll never forget the scenes in the Ettrick for his goal in Basle.

Carnage.

I was in there that night. Carnage.

John Findlay

Paterson is twice the player that Robbie ever was!

Not at defending. For a right back. Paterson is a terrible tackler.

Every pass up the line went out the park! Horrible distribution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head down and got on with it though despite the groans. No feeling sorry for himself

In his favour also was playing a lot of his Hearts career next to one of the best central defence partnerships we've ever had.

For sure.

Heart and Soul, no question. I mean 100 percent heart and soul. 

But....

Do have memories of his tactics being to work it up the field by throw ins, as opposed to football. Still happens to this day, can't understand why a team thinks its wise to chase throw ins as way of gaining field position. So sad to see that in professional football in Scotland. Like giving up on midfield passing. 

I'll never forget the scenes in the Ettrick for his goal in Basle.

Carnage.

I didn't think that game had been covered live on TV

How can someone with such longevity of service to us be a journeyman

Frankly it was a mystery he stayed in top class football for so long.

Not at defending. For a right back. Paterson is a terrible tackler.

Comparing Paterson to Neilson is comparing a Range Rover to my old Dad's Ford Fiesta

It was. I watched it live in a pub too. I think it was some obscure channel though.

indianajones

It was a long time ago so don't quote me on this but I'm sure they had some Swiss channel on via some dodgy satellite connection. Worked very well!

I remember standing near the front of the room next to the TV. Turning around to grab my dad when we scored to find him and others lying on the floor with pints flying everywhere, people jumping on tables and the room looking like a scene from a war movie. We were literally packed in like sardines. It was basically like a sold out gig.

It might be one of my favourite hearts goals in all honesty when I think about it like that. It was mental!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nookie Bear

It was a long time ago so don't quote me on this but I'm sure they had some Swiss channel on via some dodgy satellite connection. Worked very well!

I remember standing near the front of the room next to the TV. Turning around to grab my dad when we scored to find him and others lying on the floor with pints flying everywhere, people jumping on tables and the room looking like a scene from a war movie. We were literally packed in like sardines. It was basically like a sold out gig.

It might be one of my favourite hearts goals in all honesty when I think about it like that. It was mental!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I remember one guy getting hustled out sharpish when Basle scored, and the poor barmaid almost in tears at the mess after the goal.

Probably one of my favourite experience watching Hearts on TV!

It was. I watched it live in a pub too. I think it was some obscure channel though.

Cheers - I remember trolling through channels and didn't think it was being covered.

John Findlay

Comparing Paterson to Neilson is comparing a Range Rover to my old Dad's Ford Fiesta

You are correct. Paterson defends like your old dad's Ford Fiesta.

Archived