Salvator

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every pass up the line went out the park! Horrible distribution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Bit harsh on Neilson there chief.

Didn't mean it to be. He gave everything and his positional sense and defending was good enough for a regular place in our best team of the last 30 years and a Scotland cap, but he was genuinely about the least technically gifted player I've ever seen - almost no ability to control or pass the ball with any conviction.

Saint Jambo

Good player, worked hard, defended well, supported attacks. Not a star, but a solid team player. His slices up the wing though...aaaaagh! Almost every time!

Agree with this. Solid but never brilliant.

He probably suffered from unfavourable comparisons to the left backs we had during that period - Naysmith, Mahe, Fyssas, Wallace.

During the 05-06 season right back was one of the key areas that we had failed to make a step up in quality and it was painfully clear he was a weak link in that team. Whilst there was a section of the support that never rated him, that was a season where a lot of fans felt he was no longer the required standard. If you were feeling harsh, you could argue that in 05-06 Neilson was one of the reasons we were only nearly good enough. 

That said, over the period he played for Hearts our goals against column was always pretty good. 

i wish jj was my dad

Solid, dependable and 100% committed. It speaks volumes that he was a first pick in the best side we've had in 30 years.

I'd give my right bollock for a few like him now.

Only survived as Burley wasn't allowed to sign Schemmel at the time,was ready to be shown the door with Neil MacFarlane etc but hung on and had a decent career afterwards.

Fort Vallance

Pish. As anyone sitting in the first three rows when he tried to play a ball down the line will testify. Should have realised his future was in coaching 15 years ago. Just my opinion of course.

Sooperstar

Pretty much how i saw him.

He played for us for 10 years from youth until towards the end of his career so he clearly wasn't a journeyman when he played for us.

Journeyman is a perfect description for him. You don't have to move clubs to be a journeyman.

John Findlay

Was a good reader of the game did a lot of covering behind both presley and Webster when they were caught out of position.

Was one paced and was not the best passers-by of a ball. Strong in the tackle.

I really disliked him as a player, probably mainly because I really liked Alan Maybury and felt Maybury's game was worsened by being shifted to the left to accommodate Neilson and it also probably didn't help that we'd had some great attacking full backs on both sides prior to Robbie getting into the team and he was anything but.

My seat in section V also gave me a perfect view of every time he sliced a ball into the main stand.

So yeah, wasn't a fan, but he gave me one of my most enjoyable experiences as a Hearts fan away in Basel and what he lacked in talent he made up for in effort. I like him infinitely more as a manager!

I think Robbie Neilson & Lewis Stevenson must have prayed to god every night, that they were somehow allowed to become professional football players, very limited, in fact useless.

Jambos_1874

A good solid, honest, loyal, hard-working professional. That sums him up for me. Didn't try to be anything he wasn't and played to his strengths. Always give everything and worked hard for the team; not afraid to put in a solid challenge either. Difficult to fault him.

His throws were even longer than Patterson's and possibly even Delap's.

jambogirlglasgow

Robbie played for the jersey,I paid my money and he earned it 100% every game enough said

This. Would have run through a brick wall for the team. Hard as nails, jumped back up when clattered and was desperate to win. Overachieved through hard work.

What's not to love about that??

AlimOzturk

A good solid, honest, loyal, hard-working professional. That sums him up for me. Didn't try to be anything he wasn't and played to his strengths. Always give everything and worked hard for the team; not afraid to put in a solid challenge either. Difficult to fault him.

His throws were even longer than Patterson's and possibly even Delap's.

Aii but they where aimless imo.

Never liked the long throw tactic.

He was average - a trier - hard working - limited skill - never a Zico

Kind of like the fullbacks we have had this season - sometimes downright erratic - and you think wtf - but he was also a survivor

Clark Griswold

My earliest memory of him was in training when we used to train at Musselburgh sports centre and Pinkie. Was always in awe when watching them train, but always thought he looked like Elvis only younger.

On a side note, we used to do PE in the sports centre and always remember Jose quitongo cheering us on in the main hall :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Ian Malcolm

Journeyman is a perfect description for him. You don't have to move clubs to be a journeyman.

You do though. It literally means a player who's played for loads of clubs.

The goal in Basle,

The Tackle in the Cup Final,

The Penalty in the Cup Final,

He was solid and you always knew what you were getting, always above average, rarely sensational, but obviously capable going by the first 3 points

Cruyff Turn

A very good solid full back imo.

He wasn't by any means a great footballer, technically pish. Terrible passer, everything was generally knocked up the line or a 5 yard pass. His control wasn't great either nor was he the quickest.

Very fit though, he would get up and down the park for 90 minutes and would be willing to burst a gut to support his winger with a dummy run just to take a man away. A very unselfish player and a good team player.

He was a good defender. Positional wise he was good, he'd do the basics well, cover his far post, show wingers the by line and stopped crosses coming in. Good tackler as well, he won us a cup final with a world class tackle.

Obviously he had a terrific long throw and could put in a decent cross on occasion. Two desirable qualities in a Full back.

Pretty much a by the book full back, no means a great player but solid, dependable and consistent.

If he was getting dugs abuse it was generally his qualities on the ball but he understood his position well.

I liked Robbie, gutsy player and tried his arse off. I can only remember him scoring twice, his winner against Basel and knocking in a Penalty in the 2006 cup final.

I'd be happy have a Robbie Neilson at RB next season.

His second touch was always a tackle.....

would be happy if Robbie in his prime was replacing Paterson for next season

Paterson is twice the player that Robbie ever was!

Cruyff Turn

His second touch was always a tackle.....

True but at least he'd win the tackle.

would be happy if Robbie in his prime was replacing Paterson for next season

Are you serious, you are taking the piss, of course you are.....

Sooperstar

You do though. It literally means a player who's played for loads of clubs.

Literally has more than one meaning.

Better than any full back we've had since.

Paterson????

He was shite, lets not kid ourselves.

Zero technical ability, apart from throw-ins.

Gave effort every game though and made that incredible tackle against Gretna.

Alan Maybury > Neilson.

Paterson is twice the player that Robbie ever was!

Are you serious, you are taking the piss, of course you are.....

yes CP is better  but would be happy if we had a RN type replacing him

Paterson????

Paterson????

Ok, fair enough.

Just trying to make a point on the thread.

You're right.

He was shite, lets not kid ourselves.

Zero technical ability, apart from throw-ins.

Gave effort every game though and made that incredible tackle against Gretna.

Alan Maybury > Neilson.

AM at left back with RN at right back

yes CP is better  but would be happy if we had a RN type replacing him

Just what I was trying to say.

6/10 every week and gave the long throw ins straight to the opposition more times than not. Better manager!

indianajones

I'll never forget the scenes in the Ettrick for his goal in Basle. 

Carnage. 

I'll never forget the scenes in the Ettrick for his goal in Basle.

Carnage.

I'll never forget the scenes in St Jakob Park for his goal in Basel.

Carnage.

Probably warmer in the Ettrick though.

I met the recipient of "the tackle" when I was training with linfield a couple years ago. He was on trial and I had a wee Google of him as he was the only other Scottish dude there. Safe to say I didn't mention the tackle to him- I'm sure it haunts him!!

PhoenixHearts

A level of dedication and loyalty to the club we've not seen much of since.

A workhorse. What he lacked in skill he made up for in hustle and effort. Was my favourite player when I was younger.

The  abuse he got here on kickback was disgraceful. How good was he, well just take a look at the number of managers who kept him in the side. This of course includes the time when Romanov was splashing the cash and there was plenty opporrtunity ot replace him. He fitted very well into a very good side under Burley. High quality very underrated player by supporters, but obvioulsy highly rated by coaches and managers.

He would walk into the (non Paterson) team now.

If he was in our team now, he would comfortably be one of our best players.

If he was in our team now, he would comfortably be one of our best players.

So would I and **** me that is saying something.

Generic Username

Technically a limited player but that ability to be defensively and positionally sound allowed him to succeed up here. Someone earlier made a comparison to Lewis Stevenson and that's bang on. If you are willing to graft for 90 minutes and stick to what's been asked of you, it doesn't matter that you've got a howling first touch. Not as good as Stevie Frail or a pre-injury Gary Locke for me but.

ToadKiller Dog

Capt average , never amazing ,never really crap . Always tried his best and never hid .

You could count on him at least one of his attempted long balls up field would be sliced high into the Wheatfield .

But that tackle .

I really disliked him as a player, probably mainly because I really liked Alan Maybury and felt Maybury's game was worsened by being shifted to the left to accommodate Neilson and it also probably didn't help that we'd had some great attacking full backs on both sides prior to Robbie getting into the team and he was anything but.

My seat in section V also gave me a perfect view of every time he sliced a ball into the main stand.

So yeah, wasn't a fan, but he gave me one of my most enjoyable experiences as a Hearts fan away in Basel and what he lacked in talent he made up for in effort. I like him infinitely more as a manager!

I'm in sect.V as well and I must admit when I think of Robbie as a player my first thought is of the ball arrowing into the main stand! Still thought he was decent player though.

Harry Potter

Solid and dependable. Won the Scottish cup, last ditch tackle and scored a pen. Many great years and many different managers thought he was good enough.

Could do with his like in the team right now.

This, that tackle in the cup final was superb.

Lucille's Thirsty

Robbie played like a Hearts man on the field he was limited but players in our team now who have more talent but no half the heart the guy had.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

In his favour also was playing a lot of his Hearts career next to one of the best central defence partnerships we've ever had.

Archived