Pressure mounts for UK football team at 2012 Olympics

Therapist

No surprise to see influential figures starting to flex their muscles. :)

There's no way the Olympics will go ahead without a British team, as Britain is the home of football. I predicted some time ago that there will be a British team and see no reason to change my mind. Bring it on...;)

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/politics/Minister39s-UK-soccer-team-goal.4186791.jp

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts

If the team was picked on genuine ability and not political picks a UK Team will probably be 90% English players.

I'd have no real desire to watch that team.

ToadKiller Dog

Dont see the need for football to be in the olympics at all or any other major self financing sport like golf ,tennis ,would rather Darts and snoooker were at the olympics.

brellierlegend

There's no way the Olympics will go ahead without a British team, as Britain is the home of football. I predicted some time ago that there will be a British team and see no reason to change my mind. Bring it on...;)

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/politics/Minister39s-UK-soccer-team-goal.4186791.jp

I know you are a lover of all things British etc so I understand why you are keen for this to go ahead.

I love supporting Scotland and all that this would do in my opinion is give Blatter the amo he needs to disband the Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish and English teams and have a British team instead. I am aware you may be keen for this but I am not!

I am sure there will be a british team but it will only be the English that take part in it in my opinion!

possible British Xi @ 2012

Craig Gordon

Ashley Cole

John Terry

Rio Ferdinand

Wes Brown

Steven Gerrard

Gareth Barry

Frank Lampard

Wayne Rooney

Michael Owen

James McFadden

subs from David James, Peter Crouch, Ryan Giggs, David Healy, Beckhamsan, Joe Cole, Darren Fletcher

and thats being wildly optimistic or politically correct re the non-english players tbh.

English in all but name. :107years:

The Old Tolbooth

I'm sure this was mentioned a few years ago and FIFA/UEFA (cant remember which one) stated that if GB put in a football team to compete in the olympics, then we would have to compete as GB in world cup qualifiers and Euro's as well, and the idea was scrapped.

I personally don't have much of a problem with it as long as Scotland are allowed to continue playing under their own identity like we have been since football was invented.

The only thing that would wind me up would be the English baisedness if team GB ever did take off, and how many times they would be refered to as England!

Edit - I would have a rule whereby you HAD to pick at least 2 players from each country to give everyone an interest.

Drylaw Hearts

Craig Gordon

Ashley Cole

John Terry

Rio Ferdinand

Wes Brown

Steven Gerrard

Gareth Barry

Frank Lampard

Wayne Rooney

Michael Owen

James McFadden

subs from David James, Peter Crouch, Ryan Giggs, David Healy, Beckhamsan, Joe Cole, Darren Fletcher

and thats being wildly optimistic or politically correct re the non-english players tbh.

David James would be 42 whilst Ryan Giggs would be 39.

I honestly don't see either of them playing in 2012.

shoe in for Gordon then, cant think of any other welsh player @ the moment except Gareth Bale taht could make the squad.

& i think they would have to have at least 1 token player from each home country to make it credible. :)

I would have a rule whereby you HAD to pick at least 2 players from each country to give everyone an interest.

If we're taking this seriously the squad/team would have to be picked on merit. If that mean it's all-English then so be it. There's no other Olympic sport I'm aware of that picks their team based on nationality/regionality.

davemclaren
If we're taking this seriously the squad/team would have to be picked on merit. If that mean it's all-English then so be it. There's no other Olympic sport I'm aware of that picks their team based on nationality/regionality.

I bet it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth

I understand where your coming from, however if a team representing GB was made up of 1 Scot, 1 N Irishman, 1 Welshman, and 8 English players, do you really think that we would get behind it nationally?

It's more likely to have the opposite effect and make the Scots, Welsh and N Irish resent a GB side because it's full of English players. At least if they had some sort of rule whereby you had to include so many of each nationality, it might just unite everyone behind such an idea.

I know for sure that I wouldn't shout on any team than was 85% made up of English players, but I would if there was a decent mixture throughout the side.

MacDonald Jardine
I understand where your coming from, however if a team representing GB was made up of 1 Scot, 1 N Irishman, 1 Welshman, and 8 English players, do you really think that we would get behind it nationally?

It's more likely to have the opposite effect and make the Scots, Welsh and N Irish resent a GB side because it's full of English players. At least if they had some sort of rule whereby you had to include so many of each nationality, it might just unite everyone behind such an idea.

I know for sure that I wouldn't shout on any team than was 85% made up of English players, but I would if there was a decent mixture throughout the side.

I have mixed feelings myself. mainly because of the threat to the Scottish national team.

But in theory it's no different from any other olympic sport.

Would you not get behind a cycling relay team that was Chris Hoy and three Englishmen?

husref musemic

that would be the end of any stand point to keep scotland, wales independent ..... and we'd be represented by ....makes me cringe to see it "TEAM GB".

fek that.

I bet it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the Olympic movement was aware of the football issue when it decided on London.

I'm also sure that they wouldn't want the embarrassment of having the country that invented football, the world's biggest sport , not competing on their own soil.

I strongly suspect some behind-the-scenes assurances were given on the football side in order to capture the games. What we'll see over the coming year or so is the authorities "encouraging" the SFA and other nay-sayers in order to get them to cooperate. I have no doubt Britain will have a team competing in the football. If we don't it will be embarrassing for the Olympic movement, British sport generally, the government and the nation.

The Old Tolbooth
I have mixed feelings myself. mainly because of the threat to the Scottish national team.

But in theory it's no different from any other olympic sport.

Would you not get behind a cycling relay team that was Chris Hoy and three Englishmen?

Yes I would to be fair, however for some reason football is a different animal altogether.

I wouldn't shout on England at any point in the footballing world, or rugby for that matter, however if it was the Commonwealth games and England's cyclists were up against anyone else, I would be shouting on anyone else if that makes sense.

I see the English as a rival, the auld enemy, a bit like I see Hibs as rivals, and Man Utd as Liverpools rivals etc.

portobellojambo1

I am one of those who is not convinced there is a need for football within the set up that is the Olympic Games, there are already sufficient events world wide for football competition. If it is to be included surely it would make more sense to ensure the competing teams are the best in the world, for example take into account other competitions, the South American Championships, CONCACAF Championship, Oceanic Championship, European Championship, African Nations Cup for example. Pit the best against each other and make it a spectacle, sounds more appealing than New Guinea versus Great Britain, for example, to be honest.

If one of the home nations does win the European competition then for the following Olympics they would then represent GB at Olympic level, if they don't there would be no British team.

It could be one of the things that actually contributes to the break up of the union...Fantastic !

The Old Tolbooth
I am one of those who is not convinced there is a need for football within the set up that is the Olympic Games, there are already sufficient events world wide for football competition. If it is to be included surely it would make more sense to ensure the competing teams are the best in the world, for example take into account other competitions, the South American Championships, CONCACAF Championship, Oceanic Championship, European Championship, African Nations Cup for example. Pit the best against each other and make it a spectacle, sounds more appealing than New Guinea versus Great Britain, for example, to be honest.

If one of the home nations does win the European competition then for the following Olympics they would then represent GB at Olympic level, if they don't there would be no British team.

Probably the most sensible idea so far. :)

I'm sure the Olympic movement was aware of the football issue when it decided on London.

I'm also sure that they wouldn't want the embarrassment of having the country that invented football, the world's biggest sport , not competing on their own soil.

I strongly suspect some behind-the-scenes assurances were given on the football side in order to capture the games. What we'll see over the coming year or so is the authorities "encouraging" the SFA and other nay-sayers in order to get them to cooperate. I have no doubt Britain will have a team competing in the football. If we don't it will be embarrassing for the Olympic movement, British sport generally, the government and the nation.

MEMEME

GIVE ME ATTENTION

davemclaren

I strongly suspect some behind-the-scenes assurances were given on the football side in order to capture the games. What we'll see over the coming year or so is the authorities "encouraging" the racist SFA and other nay-sayers in order to get them to cooperate. I have no doubt Britain will have a team competing in the football. If we don't it will be embarrassing for the Olympic movement, British sport generally, the government and the nation.

I don't think the motivation is racist, merely the SFA protecting their independence ( not a word you particularly like in a Scottish context ;) ) and if it happens I'll eat my hat. :)

I don't think football should be in the Olympics anyway, but that's another issue.

If the team was picked on genuine ability and not political picks a UK Team will probably be 90% English players.

I'd have no real desire to watch that team.

Even if the British Team consisted of 10 Scots and Andy Driver I wouldn't be massively interested.

It's the Olympic football tournament, It's in the same summer as EURO 2012, but it's a wierd Under 23 plus guest stars format. Olympic Football is purposely a bit half-hearted because FIFA & UEFA don't want a rival to their own competitions

The whole point of the Olympics is that it should be the absolute pinnacle of a sporting career. The four year cycle means that most competitors will only get to do it once or twice while they're at their peak. There are people training around the world whose entire lives will be defined in a moment in Beijing by whether they lift that weight, clear that bar or find that extra hundredth of a second of pace.

If you're going to have an under 23 world cup then have an under 23 world cup allowing 3 overage star players may give you some more celebrity driven box office power but means that the meaning of the competition becomes confused and don't try and pass it off as a genuine Olympic tournament when it's essentially going to have fixtures like Italy 'A' vs Argentina 'Futures'.

I might want to watch that game but trying to pass it off as something on a par with the Olympic marathon devalues it.

Many Olympic sports are not naturally great events for spectators but in the Olympics they can be compelling because they are the ultimate for the competitors. Weight lifting doesn't make great viewing but raise the stakes by putting Olympic Gold medals on the line and suddenly there's a drama.

Even the fact that they're going to play games in Glasgow, Newcastle, Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester devalues it further. The Olympics are awarded to a city, Athletes from around the world and across sports all stay together in the Olympic Village in that city, that's how it works. Whether this actually fosters feeling of international harmony and camaraderie is a moot point but even if they don't it's a nice illusion to maintain. Olympic footballers are however left out of this and toured around the host country (and it's hardly as if London doesn't have enough big stadia).

The Olympic Football Tournament is a poor Football Tournament and worse it's a sorry excuse for an Olympic Tournament.

Drylaw Hearts
Even if the British Team consisted of 10 Scots and Andy Driver I wouldn't be massively interested.

It's the Olympic football tournament, It's in the same summer as EURO 2012, but it's a wierd Under 23 plus guest stars format. Olympic Football is purposely a bit half-hearted because FIFA & UEFA don't want a rival to their own competitions

The whole point of the Olympics is that it should be the absolute pinnacle of a sporting career. The four year cycle means that most competitors will only get to do it once or twice while they're at their peak. There are people training around the world whose entire lives will be defined in a moment in Beijing by whether they lift that weight, clear that bar or find that extra hundredth of a second of pace.

If you're going to have an under 23 world cup then have an under 23 world cup allowing 3 overage star players may give you some more celebrity driven box office power but means that the meaning of the competition becomes confused and don't try and pass it off as a genuine Olympic tournament when it's essentially going to have fixtures like Italy 'A' vs Argentina 'Futures'.

I might want to watch that game but trying to pass it off as something on a par with the Olympic marathon devalues it.

Many Olympic sports are not naturally great events for spectators but in the Olympics they can be compelling because they are the ultimate for the competitors. Weight lifting doesn't make great viewing but raise the stakes by putting Olympic Gold medals on the line and suddenly there's a drama.

Even the fact that they're going to play games in Glasgow, Newcastle, Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester devalues it further. The Olympics are awarded to a city, Athletes from around the world and across sports all stay together in the Olympic Village in that city, that's how it works. Whether this actually fosters feeling of international harmony and camaraderie is a moot point but even if they don't it's a nice illusion to maintain. Olympic footballers are however left out of this and toured around the host country (and it's hardly as if London doesn't have enough big stadia).

The Olympic Football Tournament is a poor Football Tournament and worse it's a sorry excuse for an Olympic Tournament.

I agree.

Prince Buaben

If a GB team means that UEFA/FIFA try and push Scotland,Wales,Northern Ireland and England together so we have to compete at Euro's and World Cups as Great Britian then the Team GB and the people behind it can go and **** Off.

There have been assurances from Fifa that if the Home Nations decided to go and become for the Olympics that it wouldnt affect the status as FOUR independant football nations but lets be honest that'll be just an inital promise and soon some nations from around the world, Jack Warner from CONCAF springs to mind here will soon be calling for changes and for FIFA to force us to become GB just becasue we done it in a one of tournement that in context of Football is only minor tournment.

As for the debate on players for the olympics most the players have to be under 23 so majority of the players that would be in contention will not have broken through at there respective clubs. Although they do get to choose player who are older than 23. A GB football team would cause absolute up roar as the olympics are in august just as the season is starting.

Bindy Badgy

Football should not be part of the Olympics. As a bare minimum the Olympics should be the pinnacle of someone's sporting career. For a lot of athletes it will be the highlight of their life. For sports like tennis and football this is obviously not the case. Therefore, these sports have no place at the Games.

Is there not some rule in Olympic football where the players have to be u24 years old?

I thought it was under 23 but I may be wrong. I think all teams are allowed something like 3 players over the age limit. This is another reason why the Olympic football tournament is a joke.

Absolutely brilliant post by Topcat that captures the whole point of the Olympic games.

Think about Ronaldo of Portugal, Rooney of England, even Ferguson of Scotland - do you think the highlight of their careers would be playing in the Olympic football tournament? I doubt it would make their top 10...

Compare that with someone like Paula Ratcliffe or Sir Steven Redgrave. Even Roger Balck who never won an Olympic title. Is taking part in the Olympics the highlight of their careers. Without a shadow of doubt. And that's the difference.

This devalues any Olympic football tournament as far as countries where football is the biggest sport are concerned.

Once, every 4 years, the talented sports people participating in sports we don't cheer on routinely get the spotlight. I don't want any overpaid pandered footballers taking their limelight.

And that's before we get into the whole tradition arguement. I don't trust Blatter and am convinced an Olympic team would set the ball in motion for the SFA, WFA, EFA being merged. Although I can't help but wonder if the OP started this thread with the intention of starting that debate. I'd be curious to know if he'd rather have a GB league and GB national team set-up as opposed to seperate Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish FAs....

And if we (Britain) do really have to provide a team for this farce we should have a one-off home and away Home Nations Championship under the U23+3 rules with the winning team going to the Olympics as the GB team.

Partly because this would ease the threat, real or perceived, to the seperate status of the SFA, WFA and IFA.

But also because whoever won it would have come through 6 competitive fixtures as a team on the way to the tournament. They might not be the very best individual eleven players in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but football is a game where operating being a well organised unit can be more important than the players talents as indiviuals.

In major tournament Hosts often start tournaments slowly because it's their first competitive game together in two years. My proposal would mean that the British representatives would have earned their right to be there and be better placed to make a good account of themselves.

I've got no problem with eleven Englishman representing Britain. Providing they've had to come to Hampden first

Only a Game

Couldnt really give a toss either way really. Its the diddy cup of World football and a couple of token Scots representing a cobbled together team to represent a cobbled together set of countries will have zero impact on me as a football fan or me as a Scotsman.

$ilvery_Moon

If the team was picked now on ability it would be Craig Gordon and the rest of the England squad. No-one else would get a look in.

Guest S.U.S.S.
If the team was picked now on ability it would be Craig Gordon and the rest of the England squad. No-one else would get a look in.

I think thats probably peoples real problem with it, man for man the English are probably better than the rest of us (as a team perhaps not).

crazy_jambo_2006

I love the Olympics. I love Britain doing well at the Olympics. But football should not be an Olympic sport. Was football at the Olympics not for under

21s players or something?

Being so Scottish, I feel we have too much to lose by having a British football team at the Olympics. But I disagree with football in general being at the Olympics.

Patrick Bateman

Would clubs really want to release their players in August/September for a joke competition? No, I don't think so. The "British" squad will be filled with English championship players and a token Northern Irishman, thats about it.

North Berwick Jambo

Daft question but why dont we (Scotland) represent ourselves at the Olympics instead of the poxy GB team?

Guest S.U.S.S.
Daft question but why dont we (Scotland) represent ourselves at the Olympics instead of the poxy GB team?

Think its how we competed in the first games and thats how the IO recognises us, dont know if an attempt has ever been made for separate representation before.

Im sure if Fat Al and his mates thought we would win a lot they would, they obviously dont.

Why not just call the team England then and be done with it. I dont really care about the olympics its not worth Scotland risking their football identity for.

Ibrahim Tall

Craig Gordon

Ashley Cole

John Terry

Rio Ferdinand

Wes Brown

Steven Gerrard

Gareth Barry

Frank Lampard

Wayne Rooney

Michael Owen

James McFadden

The Olympic squads u-23 level with three players outwith that age group.

inside right

If Scotland not allowed own team then all EEC countries should only have one team (just continuing the same argument only taking it 1 step higher). After all a lot of them have the same money. Imagine the Olympics if all the EEC countries were all in one team. Certainly cut down on the number of competitors.

davemclaren
Think its how we competed in the first games and thats how the IO recognises us, dont know if an attempt has ever been made for separate representation before.

Im sure if Fat Al and his mates thought we would win a lot they would, they obviously dont.

I think he is already on to it but fat gogs probably doesn't approve. ;)

Although that's partly because the UK situation is somewhat peculiar

But there is at least one example

The USSR for a while would select Dynamo Kiev, which was effectively the unofficial Ukranian national team, practically en masse to represent the whole USSR. Kiev were the top soviet club at the time.

There inevitably would have been Muscovite,Belorussian or ,dare I say it, Lithuanian players being excluded in favour of Ukranians who weren't as individually talented but it meant that the team that had been playing together through the USSR championship stayed together and could keep operating in the same pattern.

Rugby isn't an Olympic sport (yet) but anybody who's paid any attention to the British Lions will have noticed that the identity of the coach does seem to have an affect on the balance of nationalities in the squad. They'll generally give the benefit of the doubt to their own people if it's a tight decision.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I think he is already on to it but fat gogs probably doesn't approve. ;)

Im sure Alex and his stormtroopers will bring it up whenever they get the chance.;)

"So Alex what do you think of the fuel shortage?"

Fuel shortage, never mind that, what about the shortage of Scottish athletes in the Olympics? we need our own team...

The fact is, the team is picked on merit, throw further, run faster than others and ur in. If Scottish athletes cant get into the team its cos we are not as good as those who do.

davemclaren
Im sure Alex and his stormtroopers will bring it up whenever they get the chance.;)

"So Alex what do you think of the fuel shortage?"

Fuel shortage, never mind that, what about the shortage of Scottish athletes in the Olympics? we need our own team...

The fact is, the team is picked on merit, throw further, run faster than others and ur in. If Scottish athletes cant get into the team its cos we are not as good as those who do.

Which is why a Scottish team is better for Scottish athletes....who are not the best in the UK. :)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Which is why a Scottish team is better for Scottish athletes....who are not the best in the UK. :)

Oh good, a team of not good enoughs, really something to get behind.:)

davemclaren
Oh good, a team of not good enoughs, really something to get behind.:)

We seem to manage with the UK team..... :P

Although generally there's a minimum Olympic qualifying standard to be met (thanks to Eddie the Eagle) you should qualify that to

"Scottish athletes....who are amongst the best 30 or so in the world but not amongst the 3 best in the UK trials."

Which is a fairly small group indeed.

Archived