Gerrard

Bentley

Rooney

Crouch

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Chimp
No surprise to see influential figures starting to flex their muscles. :)

There's no way the Olympics will go ahead without a British team, as Britain is the home of football. I predicted some time ago that there will be a British team and see no reason to change my mind. Bring it on...;)

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/politics/Minister39s-UK-soccer-team-goal.4186791.jp

the only pressure that is building is in your own mind.

this hardly constitutes serious collective support for a british team.

SPORTS Minister Andy Burnham has backed plans to create a British football team at the 2012 London Olympics.

what is interesting, however, is that number of the initiatives you support, in terms of britishness, will only add to support for a breakdown of the union.

If the English, Scottish, Welsh, and NI teams played each other to decide who is best then surely the winner is the best team?

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Frank, you will have to come up with something much better than that if you wish to engage me in debate. Personally, I'd steer clear if I were you as you'll only end up getting a cyber mauling. :)

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Frank, you will have to come up with something much better than that if you wish to engage me in debate. Personally, I'd steer clear if I were you as you'll only end up getting a cyber mauling. :)

:troll:

Don't know why I bothered replying because you will just continue to ignore all the points that don't suit your argument. You need to learn the difference between debating and trolling.

Your whole thread is antagonistic because you repeated an identical thread you raised a six months back. Does raising the post twice make your argument twice as good?

Going back to my point above, and backing up what another poster also said, a well organised club side or international side can beat a team of talented individuals that don't gel. A good example being Croatia, who humped England in the groups and are doing well in the Euros.

. What good would a British team that are thrown together 2 weeks before the tournament do? Do you honestly think they would beat even England?

. What benefits would a British team bring Scottish Football?

. Do you think you would get more or less people wanting to watch a British team in Scotland, Wales, and NI (the English don't know the difference between Britain and England, so its wasted on them)?

. How would you convince Fifa that it wouldn't affect the individual identities of the 4 countries?

- My argument for a tournament to pick best team from England, Scotland, Wales, and NI would protect those identities.

Laughable.

Yes I agree that the OP is laughable.

The only people on this board who are remotely interested in this proposal are the usual s*** stirring members of the UJ club.

Jam Tarts 1874

This is all about money. The organisers and politicians who don't know anything about football just think that football is a guaranteed money spinner for the games and see good photo opportunites for the politicians. I bet these people have not even stopped to consider how a team GB would look, particularly with regard to the existing limitation of under 23's plus 3 over-age. There will be people at the top table of organisers and politicians wetting their pants at the prospect of effectively a top class England team playing in what they will see as a mini world cup, I am sure that they may already be trying to bend the rules to get some Premiership big names allowed to play.

The organisers will already know that the Olympics are likely to be a failure for British athletes on the whole. It's only 4 years away and no sign of all the talent that was supposed to come through with all the lottery money. A team GB playing football is probably a desired option for them to detract from the failures in other sports.

There has been some reasonable entertainment in some previous Olympic football tournaments, I recall a very good Argentina side from the last games for instance with Tevez being the star, so it may still be worth watching. But like other posters have pointed out, there is no chance of any Scottish players and therefore can't see me getting excited about some under 23's from possibly not even the Premiership but from the Championship.

Ask the home nations what want they want do re. a 'play off'...............or simply send England and hope nobody asks too many awkward questions at FIFA

Aside from that, football has out grown the OG and these days it exhibits few if any traits fostered by the Olympic ideal. Why they dont let it quietly slip out the side door I just dont know, although there is probably a gaggle of well paid blazered staff employed to oversee it at HQ :sad:

The Vulture
If the English, Scottish, Welsh, and NI teams played each other to decide who is best then surely the winner is the best team?

I'd send N. Ireland then, they are still holders of the British Championships or whatever that trophy was which was disbanded in the mid 1980s, they also beat England 1-0 when they played them, so just send them

The Vulture
Here is my UK team :

James

A.Cole

Terry

Ferdinand

Brown

J.Cole

Lampard

Gerrard

Bentley

Rooney

Crouch

Are you insane ? The majority of those players are egos, they couldn't even play their part in making England qualify for Euro 2008.

Are you insane ? The majority of those players are egos, they couldn't even play their part in making England qualify for Euro 2008.

They're far superior to their counterparts in the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh teams.

supporters groups of all four home nations are against the idea. see here for details: http://www.noteamgb.com/

also, bear in mind that the scottish supporting element that will likely be most up for supporting a GB team are the huns. do you really think their support would be welcome down south again?

The Vulture
They're far superior to their counterparts in the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh teams.

But they don't play as a team do they, in the last set of qualifying matches Scotland and N. Ireland performed a whole lot better than England.

Like Gerrard said re: Capello, something along the lines of 'It's going to take time, we have to learn to keep possession'. If footballers at that level find it hard to keep possession, god help them !!!

Independence

Scotland should have its own Olympic team.

We would only win a few medals, but would do so with more pride than is shown towards a UK team.

A Saltire flying at the Olympics is a sight many people want!!!!

Westendorfer

With intellectual heavyweights like Therapist and Ian Wright fighting the good fight, how can this cause fail?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article1299312.ece

Actually, on second thoughts, perhaps Wrighty would be better off educating his son on why it's wrong to steal from ladies handbags.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7458767.stm

But they don't play as a team do they, in the last set of qualifying matches Scotland and N. Ireland performed a whole lot better than England.

Like Gerrard said re: Capello, something along the lines of 'It's going to take time, we have to learn to keep possession'. If footballers at that level find it hard to keep possession, god help them !!!

So, um, are you basically saying that you'd pick none of them so that you'd have a far less talented side who would at least "play as a team"? Bizarre.

This may have slipped your notice, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland also don't really play what the Spanish would refer to as "tiki taka". Who from Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales do you think would get a game ahead of their English counterpart? The only one that I reckon you could make a case for would be Giggs, and he's past it now.

So, um, are you basically saying that you'd pick none of them so that you'd have a far less talented side who would at least "play as a team"? Bizarre.

This is exactly what they're saying. It demonstrates beyong any doubt that the nationalists' agenda is essentially a racist one. :mad:

The bottom line is they'd rather see GB enter a sub-standard team than have racially pure Scotsmen rubbing shoulders in the same team as the Welsh, Northern Irish or - heaven forbid - the English. :(

Sadly, it won't be long before the Tartan Army has a Liebstandarte division. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

As I said above, which you may have missed.

Since when did you become the official KB censor? :dribble:

So long as I stay within the rules - which I always do - I'll discuss what I like when I like. I trust this clarifies matters. :)

Since when did you become the official KB censor? :dribble:

So long as I stay within the rules - which I always do - I'll discuss what I like when I like. I trust this clarifies matters. :)

you look rather silly when you contradict yourself though :)

This is exactly what they're saying. It demonstrates beyong any doubt that the nationalists' agenda is essentially a racist one. :mad:

The bottom line is they'd rather see GB enter a sub-standard team than have racially pure Scotsmen rubbing shoulders in the same team as the Welsh, Northern Irish or - heaven forbid - the English. :(

Sadly, it won't be long before the Tartan Army has a Liebstandarte division. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Give it a rest mate .Apart from a very well organized minority nobody really gives a toss about team GB.

How you have'nt been banned for trolling is a mystery.

How you have'nt been banned for trolling is a mystery.

It's undoubtedly because I'm not trolling. I'm raising a legitimate point.

Britain will host the Olympics but the nationalists want to make us a laughing stock by refusing to participate. My point is that the establishment will now start to put the squeeze on the short-sighted, selfish buffoons at the SFA who will undoubtedly cave in.

Who gives a flying fock about the Olympics, anyway? The whole shebang started to become an economic black hole in 1976 and should have been put down after 1980, when Thatcher and Reagan organised a boycoot for propaganda reasons. Nowadays, many top athletes don't even treat it as the top event and the ridiculous politicisation of the it means I refuse to watch a single televised minute. The 2008 event is being held in the evil Republic, while 2012 will surely end up being regarded as the biggest white elephant since The Dome.

All in all, why waste any breath on a totally irrelevant 4 yearly circus? It is the sporting equivalent of Big Brother!

Why would it concern you so much if a Team GB competes at football but without any Scottish players or support of the SFA?

If we put a British team in we must select the best squad at our disposal. If we're in it, we need to win it. I'm not sure any Scotland players would be in the starting XI but one or two may be useful squad players.

Who gives a flying fock about the Olympics, anyway? The whole shebang started to become an economic black hole in 1976 and should have been put down after 1980, when Thatcher and Reagan organised a boycoot for propaganda reasons. Nowadays, many top athletes don't even treat it as the top event and the ridiculous politicisation of the it means I refuse to watch a single televised minute. The 2008 event is being held in the evil Republic, while 2012 will surely end up being regarded as the biggest white elephant since The Dome.

All in all, why waste any breath on a totally irrelevant 4 yearly circus? It is the sporting equivalent of Big Brother!

ADD TO ALL OF THAT THE APPALLING CHEAT FEST THAT IT HAS BECOME AND I AGREE 100 PERCENT

Guest S.U.S.S.

Wrong,

Jimmy Carter was the one that announced the American boycott and Britain supported the boycott but sent around 170 athletes.

Wrong,

Jimmy Carter was the one that announced the American boycott and Britain supported the boycott but sent around 170 athletes.

Britain didn't send any athletes not officially anyway. If I remember correctly when receiving their medals the rebel athletes stood to attention for the Olympic movements anthem not the GB anthem as they were not officially representing GB. This desire for a GB football team is just another example of politicians trying to impose their will on sport just like they did for the boycott. We should tell them to GTF

Bindy Badgy
Nowadays, many top athletes don't even treat it as the top event

Tennis players and footballers might not but they never have.

Athletes in events like track and field, judo and wrestling most certainly do. I've got a few mates that have competed at the Olympics and all of them view it as the pinnacle of their sport.

Tennis players and footballers might not but they never have.

Athletes in events like track and field, judo and wrestling most certainly do. I've got a few mates that have competed at the Olympics and all of them view it as the pinnacle of their sport.

Spot on.

Tennis has its Grand Slams and Football has its Regional Championships (Europe/Americas/African) and the World Cup.

The Olympics are the pinnacle tournament for Athletics and Swimming, but is distinctly third-rate for Tennis. Football, and a number of other sports that don't belong there.

Politicians only want a team GB because we are ****e at the majority of sports in the Olympics. Next they will be wanting Snooker added because we are usually good at that.

Therapist only wants a team GB because he is rather fond of the Union Jack and hates Scotland and the Tartan Army.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Britain didn't send any athletes not officially anyway. If I remember correctly when receiving their medals the rebel athletes stood to attention for the Olympic movements anthem not the GB anthem as they were not officially representing GB. This desire for a GB football team is just another example of politicians trying to impose their will on sport just like they did for the boycott. We should tell them to GTF

They supported the ban but did not stop athletes competing your right re the flag etc i think, but that was an ioc decision not Britains.

They supported the ban but did not stop athletes competing your right re the flag etc i think, but that was an ioc decision not Britains.

And the great Allan Wells and his colleagues still competed in the proper British team kit.

HappyClapper

No Thanks!

Would prefer to see a Scottish olympics team for all sports!

PS. Im not a Nat, but sport is different!

Bindy Badgy
No Thanks!

Would prefer to see a Scottish olympics team for all sports!

PS. Im not a Nat, but sport is different!

I think independance (sporting or otherwise) would be a dissadvantage to athletes on both sides of the border. In track cycling Scotland's top three competitors train in Manchester. In judo several of England's top fighters train in Edinburgh.

Chuck Berry

There's no way the Olympics will go ahead without a British team, as Britain is the home of football. I predicted some time ago that there will be a British team and see no reason to change my mind. Bring it on...;)

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/politics/Minister39s-UK-soccer-team-goal.4186791.jp

http://www.noteamgb.com/

Nobody wants it :byebye:

davemclaren
I think independance (sporting or otherwise) would be a dissadvantage to athletes on both sides of the border. In track cycling Scotland's top three competitors train in Manchester. In judo several of England's top fighters train in Edinburgh.

Can't see the problem. Lots of athletes train abroad.

Chuck Berry

FIFA boss, Sepp Blatter, has warned Scotland not to take part in any proposed British team at the 2012 Olympics in London.

The supremo of football's world governing body suggested that any such move could leave the door open for calls for a UK united side in major soccer tournaments, such as the World Cup and European Championships

http://sport.scotsman.com/londonolympics2012/Don39t-back-British-team-says.3858830.jp

That puts that to bed then. Next.

I would not want to be associated with "them" (in a Chick Young - Only Excuse way)

I bet even the ignorant English would find an excuse not to play the most expensive and highest rated British goalkeeper, because he is not English. And you could also bet your life on it that the coach would be from "there"

Oh dear.

If you're going to enlist words from other languages in an attempt to score points, please at least try to spell them properly. There may be an unintentional hilarity in this particular example, but that's really no excuse.

And I agree with the earlier poster who described your resurrection of this topic, on which you've already been soundly trounced on more than one occasion by all comers, as trolling.

Me. :)

get yourself along to hampden on 20 august then, when scotland play against northern ireland. you can sing it while the rest of us boo it.

Me. :)

get yourself along to hampden on 20 august then, when scotland play against northern ireland. you can sing it while the rest of us boo it.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm...as I predicted, the pressure is now being ratcheted up. :rolleyes:

Team GB will happen. Fact. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7516128.stm

Your article is short of quotes from the SFA.

It is just the Olympics 2012 committee, with Seb Coe quoted. It mentions the Olympic Association talking to the Football Association, which implies Team GB will be England under another name.

You could be right, Team GB could happen - without Scotland, Wales and NI participating. :confused:

It will. With only English players.

I'm sure that's what the bigots and racists of the Tartan Army will be hoping for, but that would be embarrassing for Team GB.

Gordon Smith and his colleagues will roll over and have their tummies tickled once establishment pressure is applied. ;)

I'm sure that's what the bigots and racists of the Tartan Army will be hoping for, but that would be embarrassing for Team GB.

Gordon Smith and his colleagues will roll over and have their tummies tickled once establishment pressure is applied. ;)

Of course by 2012 we could be well on the way to independence and this whole thread will be irrelevant :thumb:

The Mighty Thor

Doubtful.

You need to look at who and what is driving it.

Lord Coe and the BOA? Both of whom are now starting to get twitchy backsides as apathy levels sky rocket about the wisdom of spending ?4 or ?5 billion pounds in the current economic climate. Furthermore i'd imagine they are trying to get as much positive press as is humanly possible right now as when the Beijing games start in 2 weeks time team GB will probably score their lowest medal haul in the modern olympic era.

Despite unprecedented funding levels for UK 'athletes' the number of world class athletes in the traditional olympic track and field disciplines is probably at an all time low. (drugs tests are getting better huh?) Team GB will no doubt be thankful for a couple of guys that can sail boats and shoot .22 air rifles to keep the medal haul respectable.

I reckon Coe et al will have bigger fish to fry in trying to explain the abject performance of Team GB come mid-August.

The Vulture
If we put a British team in we must select the best squad at our disposal. If we're in it, we need to win it. I'm not sure any Scotland players would be in the starting XI but one or two may be useful squad players.

The rules for Olympic squads are that they are only allowed 3 players over the age of 23. So as the squad would only have 3 players over the age of 23, this would count out many current internationalists who could be selected. How many good 'British' under 23 players play in the premiership week in week out ?

Archived