Top Six Guaranteed? But then what.

upgotheheads

Sexton Hardcastle

I thought the season was over some weeks ago after he hibs defeat? Or were people over reacting as per.

RobbofordGHC

I think you are right but the fly in the ointment is the League cup, it starts in July and it's highly likely we will have two derbies ( where we going to play it?) and ample opportunities for embarrassing defeats from lower league teams.

Money spinning tie against Hibs at Murrayfield could make us more money than one / two Euro ties against the so called 'minnows'?

upgotheheads

Kilmarnock are the only side who could theoretically overtake us but they would have to win all of their remaining fixtures against Celtic, Rangers and us to do that.

The only question now is whether we can finish above Partick and St. Johnstone to finish fourth and potentially in a European spot, catching the Huns would need a miracle now.

There is a lot of interest left in the remaining fixtures so let's not be too despondent about the rest of the season. IMO Ian Cathro will be given the rest of this season and half of next to show his worth, if we get to Christmas next season in a bad state  and in danger of not making the top six he will be away. Conversely if we make fourth place this season and especially if that gets us into Europe then we'll have to consider that a success, especially given the shambles of the last few months, Cathro would then have the close season to put his mark on recruitment and style of play.

I haven't given up hope that something can still be salvaged from this season, the next three games against St Jonstone, Dundee and Kilmarnock might turn out to be the most important of the season.

Bazzas right boot

Wednesday will tell us.

Beat there and we'll be in a fight for 5th.

Win, we're back into 4th.

Have said it already - but my opinion hasn't changed..... I'd rather we DIDNT qualify for Europe this season.

We need to good solid pre-season without distractions and potentially humiliating exits in the minnow stages of Europa will do more harm than good.

Beyond that, I literally couldn't care less whether we finish 4th, 5th, or 6th in the league this year. None of those positions are anything to shout about and being able to 'celebrate' the fact we saved 4th from the jaws of 6th would be a bit daft.

The Treasurer

Have said it already - but my opinion hasn't changed..... I'd rather we DIDNT qualify for Europe this season.

We need to good solid pre-season without distractions and potentially humiliating exits in the minnow stages of Europa will do more harm than good.

Beyond that, I literally couldn't care less whether we finish 4th, 5th, or 6th in the league this year. None of those positions are anything to shout about and being able to 'celebrate' the fact we saved 4th from the jaws of 6th would be a bit daft.

Don't think anyone would be celebrating finishing 4th. However I'd prefer we were playing against "minnows" in Europe rather than "minnows" in the League Cup sections

Neilson's Shank

Wednesday night is now huge, I expected nothing yesterday but not the size of defeat inflicted. Saints could be in disarray given the events of last Saturday we have to get it right tomorrow, the Rangers seem to be no better than before so it is up to us to try to catch them. However, individual and collective performance must improve.

Mars plastic

Don't think anyone would be celebrating finishing 4th. However I'd prefer we were playing against "minnows" in Europe rather than "minnows" in the League Cup sections

Not sure what difference it makes if we have FC Nobody from Malta or Cowdenbeath at Tynie in July

Not sure what difference it makes if we have FC Nobody from Malta or Cowdenbeath at Tynie in July

The only difference is that some folk get to go away on a holiday and get bevvied in foreign lands.

Beyond that there is literally ZERO point in us being in the Europa league. Apart from anything else - we simply do not deserve to be there as far as I'm concerned.

A pointless exercise which will come during ANOTHER phase of rebuilding the team. The 'AYE BUT THE NEW TEAM NEEDS TIME TO BOND - WE DONT HAVE A GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO BEAT SOME MALTESE PART TIMERS' excuses are already lined up.

Francis Albert

We should be able to beat either. But by playing FC Nobody from Malta we'd be getting a bye to the later stages of the League Cup whereas losing to Cowdenbeath would mean going out of a competition we could conceivably win.

Anyway Malta is arguably a nicer trip than Cowdenbeath!

We should be able to beat either. But by playing FC Nobody from Malta we'd be getting a bye to the later stages of the League Cup whereas losing to Cowdenbeath would mean going out of a competition we could conceivably win.

Anyway Malta is arguably a nicer trip than Cowdenbeath!

LOL!!!!!

Bazzas right boot

If you don't know the difference, then I'm afraid no one on here can help you.

Mars plastic

If you don't know the difference, then I'm afraid no one on here can help you.

You think there's millions to be earned by getting papped out at the second or third qualifying round likes?

Think the Saints will be well up for this despite what has taken place, most teams raise their game against us and this one will be no different, sad to see whats happening to my team but I was too busy on a petrol mower to let if affect me. Says it all really.

You think there's millions to be earned by getting papped out at the second or third qualifying round likes?

There is more money to be earned if we can qualify for Europe.....that is a fact.

We are not in a position to dismiss the possibility of earning that cash.

We earned around ?400.000 this season......not to be sniffed at, and if it wasn't for that debacle at home in the second round, ?650,000. 

Jeez the OP title of this thread sums it up for me "Top 6 Guaranteed?"

Ridiculous that we even have to debate this!   Levein's master plan has FAILED - bringing in Cathro as an experiment to change Scottish Football was ridiculous from the start!

We deserve better - and that does not come from any "sense of entitlement"!

King Of The Cat Cafe

Think the Saints will be well up for this despite what has taken place, most teams raise their game against us and this one will be no different, sad to see whats happening to my team but I was too busy on a petrol mower to let if affect me. Says it all really.

Plus, Tommy Wright is a savvy manager - probably too savvy for our management team.

BTW, always wondered, if you lived in, say, Rotterdam, would you have Dutchcap as a username :0

letsalldothebeattie

I don't want us to qualify for Europe this season because let's be brutally honest we don't deserve to. We've been shocking since the turn of the year the cup was a good chance. Threw that away and we don't deserve to get a place because Celtic/Aberdeen or Sevco win the Scottish.

Aim now is try keep hold of 5th place go away let Cathro rip up this squad(hopefully) bring in new players, better players. Bring back boys on loan (King, Reilly, Moore, Zanatta etc) get a squad together have a pre season and the Betfred group games to gel a side capable of competing for a top 3 finish and a cup run or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mars plastic

I don't want us to qualify for Europe this season because let's be brutally honest we don't deserve to. We've been shocking since the turn of the year the cup was a good chance. Threw that away and we don't deserve to get a place because Celtic/Aberdeen or Sevco win the Scottish.

Aim now is try keep hold of 5th place go away let Cathro rip up this squad(hopefully) bring in new players, better players. Bring back boys on loan (King, Reilly, Moore, Zanatta etc) get a squad together have a pre season and the Betfred group games to gel a side capable of competing for a top 3 finish and a cup run or two.

We'll deserve to qualify if we finish in a Euro spot. That's because we'll have more points than the two teams below us in the top 6.

Plus, Tommy Wright is a savvy manager - probably too savvy for our management team.

BTW, always wondered, if you lived in, say, Rotterdam, would you have Dutchcap as a username :0

:) 

Surely the money gained and the away jaunt for the fans are reasons enough?

There is more money to be earned if we can qualify for Europe.....that is a fact.

We are not in a position to dismiss the possibility of earning that cash.

We earned around ?400.000 this season......not to be sniffed at, and if it wasn't for that debacle at home in the second round, ?650,000. 

Now take away the cost of flights (charter) for all the players and staff, accommodation, transport etc.

I think it is a misconception that the qualifying rounds of the Europa league are money makers.

letsalldothebeattie

We'll deserve to qualify if we finish in a Euro spot. That's because we'll have more points than the two teams below us in the top 6.

We won't finish in a Euro spot we won't catch Rangers in 3rd and if we are lucky to overtake St Johnstone we then rely on anyone but Hibs winning the cup. Our form this season doesn't merit a European place even if we do manage to get a spot.

King Of The Cat Cafe

We won't finish in a Euro spot we won't catch Rangers in 3rd and if we are lucky to overtake St Johnstone we then rely on anyone but Hibs winning the cup. Our form this season doesn't merit a European place even if we do manage to get a spot.

This may well be a question for a different thread, but will Rangers be able to satisfy the financial good conduct requirements for a European place?  

letsalldothebeattie

This may well be a question for a different thread, but will Rangers be able to satisfy the financial good conduct requirements for a European place?

It was apparently reported last week that they will be free to enter Europe should they qualify

Mars plastic

Surely the money gained and the away jaunt for the fans are reasons enough?

Going abruad on the lash and riding hookers is for those halfwits that follow Scotland.

Going abruad on the lash and riding hookers is for those halfwits that follow Scotland.

Right, forget it.

I think many many Hearts fans enjoy a wee away trip to Europe. I know I used to.

Great times were had by all.

King Of The Cat Cafe

It was apparently reported last week that they will be free to enter Europe should they qualify

Thanks.  That's another straw firmly ungrasped.

skinnybob72

Once we are mathematically confirmed as top 6 we should ask the SPFL to award the standard 0-3 wins to the other 5 sides and just pack up for the season. The players appear to have done so anyway so really this is just making it official.

Bazzas right boot

No one said that.

Ps. you can earn millions by playing in the Europa.

Bazzas right boot

Fans wanting to finish lower in the league Should be ignored, opinions like that just make you look stupid. Really stupid.

On that logic, said fans should be enjoying our poor run as it is helping them achieve Thier target of finishing lower in the league.

They'll be looking forward to st Johnstone smashing us this week to help cement 5th place and if we are lucky even end up 6th.

Your doing the football supporting part of your life wrong. You really are.

Your doing the football supporting part of your life wrong. You really are.

:lol:

Coming from you!!!

Tommy Brown

Sorry to ask, but if the reptiles get to the final against Celtic. Do they get a Euro spot.?

Bazzas right boot

:lol:

Coming from you!!!

Aye, from me.

Wanting to end up lower in the league....

Ffs.

August Landmesser

4th is what we budgeted for, and 4th is what our wage bill is, so 4th would be adequate - considering we've changed Head Coach and ripped up the team, it's ok. Not great, and not worth doing cartwheels over, but doesn't feck with budgets etc.

Also, even we finish 5th, we might cover most of the losses with our trimming of the wage bill in January and any compo moneys for Rossi, Muirhead & Robbie etc. (Idk if this true, just guessing here...).

Summer, get the long-term rebuild done and go again in July/August. It's what we do.

No one said that.

Ps. you can earn millions by playing in the Europa.

Not with our squad and management you can't!

Bazzas right boot

Sorry to ask, but if the reptiles get to the final against Celtic. Do they get a Euro spot.?

No, only the winners do.

If winners are already in Europe through the league, 4,the place gets in Europe.

Aye, from me.

Wanting to end up lower in the league....

Ffs.

Wanting your arch rivals to end a 115 year cup drought and sighting it a a good outcome.

And you're telling other folk they're 'doing supporting wrong'.

Ffs.

I've said I couldn't care less whether we finish 4th or 6th. And I couldn't at this point - the season ended for us ages ago.

I've no desire to see Hearts embarrass themselves in Europe this year as I do think we deserve to be there or are equipped to deal with it. I consider Europe to be a distraction at a time which is going to be very important for us in term of rebuilding and preparing for next season.

At no point have I mentioned that i'll be cheering St Johnstone on or 'looking forward to them smashing us'. Nobody has said that.

Neither will be at Tynie in July. Either Murrayfield, East End or Falkirk for LC or Europa games. Stadium won't get a safety cert even for three stands. Part of pitch will also be protected from construction work.

Jeez the OP title of this thread sums it up for me "Top 6 Guaranteed?"

Ridiculous that we even have to debate this!   Levein's master plan has FAILED - bringing in Cathro as an experiment to change Scottish Football was ridiculous from the start!

We deserve better - and that does not come from any "sense of entitlement"!

No, but it is extremely short-sighted thinking. How could you expect to 'change Scottish football' )if that was ever said), in three months? Hundred years of dinosaurs to get rid of first. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dont think anyone said that. However given that we never try to win the League Cup then the choice comes down to; do we enter the LC and maybe earn ?1m or do we enter the Europa League and maybe earn several million? Based on history, group stage is more likely than LC win. Both are probably about 500/1 at the moment. Probably should just gamble on Europa league.

Or having a trip with mates and enjoying watching Hearts.

Dont think anyone said that. However given that we never try to win the League Cup then the choice comes down to; do we enter the LC and maybe earn ?1m or do we enter the Europa League and maybe earn several million? Based on history, group stage is more likely than LC win. Both are probably about 500/1 at the moment. Probably should just gamble on Europa league.

Next year we will make neither ?1m in the league cup, nor several million in the Europa League. 99% Certain of that.

You can quote me on that next yea if I'm wrong.

Bazzas right boot

Wanting your arch rivals to end a 115 year cup drought and sighting it a a good outcome.

And you're telling other folk they're 'doing supporting wrong'.

Ffs.

I've said I couldn't care less whether we finish 4th or 6th. And I couldn't at this point - the season ended for us ages ago.

I've no desire to see Hearts embarrass themselves in Europe this year as I do think we deserve to be there or are equipped to deal with it. I consider Europe to be a distraction at a time which is going to be very important for us in term of rebuilding and preparing for next season.

At no point have I mentioned that i'll be cheering St Johnstone on or 'looking forward to them smashing us'. Nobody has said that.

Lol.

Bang the same old drum.

Your having a mare, you want us to finish lower in the league, as you stated as you don't want us to get into Europe.

That means we need to drop more points and get beat.

I might have wanted rangers beat, I'm happy with that. i will never want us to finish to get beat and finish lower in the league.

Your logic is a joke. Your happy for us to get beat more just so we don't get in Europe, you can't want us to win and not be in Europe, they two goals are not alligned.

If we win more- more chance of Europe. You don't want that.

Get beat- your wish comes true.

If we're not in Europe we play the lc, so the distraction Reason in ridiculous, either way we have competitive football.

You don't care if we're 4th or 6th? You don't care if we win or get beat?

But, aye bring up hibs to justify your nonsense in wanting us to finish lower in the league so we don't get in Europe.

Your obsession with hibs is also annoying, stop bringing them up to try and justify you reasoning.

You are being a Doughnut.

Mars plastic

You're best taking off the maroon tinted specs, kiddo. We're not ever going to earn millions in the Europa League, not at this moment in time anyway.

Give me the chance of domestic silverware any day of the week over group stage football in the Europa League.

Bazzas right boot

For the less fortunate.

The higher in the league, the better.

No if, no buts.

It is really that simple. It is why we have a league system.

Think of a league system as a ranking system if you are having difficulty.

1st being the best.

2nd being the 2nd best.

Etc.

Hope this clarifies things for those not caring or wanting us to finish lower.

It's not strictly come dancing, 6 isn't better( higher) than 5 or 4 .

Bazzas right boot

You're best taking off the maroon tinted specs, kiddo. We're not ever going to earn millions in the Europa League, not at this moment in time anyway.

Give me the chance of domestic silverware any day of the week over group stage football in the Europa League.

Lol

Being in Europe doesn't mean we don't get in the LC?

Archived