John Rankin

jbee647

But it could be Ann Budge who decides its time to change and that's the director of football as well as the manager.

Now that is a pretty major change.  I do believe that if there are no signs of improvement over the next year, Ann Budge will not hesitate in changing the big plan.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

Well in that case the plan isn't really working at this moment in time.  Especially when he's interfering himself whilst insisting his isn't. 

What Levein has always said and every coach under him has said, it the head coach picks the team, no one has said that Levein doesn't offer advice, in fact both Robbie and Cathro have said that Levein offers advice. I still dont get whats wrong with that.

What Levein has always said and every coach under him has said, it the head coach picks the team, no one has said that Levein doesn't offer advice, in fact both Robbie and Cathro have said that Levein offers advice. I still dont get whats wrong with that.

No problem with them having a chat and a discussion on the first team through the week. I would fully expect that.

However passing messages to the Head Coach during the match, then appearing in the dressing room at half time, is not the right time to "offer advice"

Now that is a pretty major change. I do believe that if there are no signs of improvement over the next year, Ann Budge will not hesitate in changing the big plan.

Think Abramovitch and you are closer to how Ann Budge operates.

No problem with them having a chat and a discussion on the first team through the week. I would fully expect that.

However passing messages to the Head Coach during the match, then appearing in the dressing room at half time, is not the right time to "offer advice"

I don't have a problem with Levein passing messages to Cathro but the way it was done at Aberdeen looked awful and just played into the hands of the media circus around Cathro. Discretion is the better part of valour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think Abramovitch and you are closer to how Ann Budge operates.

Another year on and Levein will have been running the football side of the Club for 4 years.  As I said if there are no signs of improvement in the performances and results from the current position we are in, Ann Budge will be fully justified to change direction of the football management of the Club.

She did not get to where she got to in business without taking the tough decisions with a degree of ruthlessness - that by no means makes her an Abramovitch!

By the way I do not operate a football Club   :whistling:

I don't have a problem with Levein passing messages to Cathro but the way it was done at Aberdeen looked awful and just played into the hands of the media circus around Cathro. Discretion is the better part of valour!

Did you have a problem with Levein going into the dressing room at halftime?

One success story doesn't mean constant replication though.

One failure doesn't mean ripping up the plan

Another year on and Levein will have been running the football side of the Club for 4 years. As I said if there are no signs of improvement in the performances and results from the current position we are in, Ann Budge will be fully justified to change direction of the football management of the Club.

She did not get to where she got to in business without taking the tough decisions with a degree of ruthlessness - that by no means makes her an Abramovitch!

By the way I do not operate a football Club :whistling:

Its 3 years into an initial 5 year plan mostly about building a foundation

Some things aren't going well

But a longer approach is being taken

Freshening up the Director of football would be a potential move but more likely once everything in the 5 year plan has been achieved

2020 or 2022 for Levein to step aside

Did you have a problem with Levein going into the dressing room at halftime?

Not particularly.

Freshening up the Director of football would be a potential move but more likely once everything in the 5 year plan has been achieved

The 5 year plan is just not just about building a new stand, financial stability and fan ownership.  The plan is also about improving and progressing as a football team - that progression results in top 4 (minimum) league positions, and decent runs in the cup competitions.

We are currently not progressing as a team, our cup performances are shocking, and we are slipping down the league.

The point I made was - if this level of performance and lack of achievement continues for another year (4 years in), I believe that Ann Budge will be well aware that this 5 year plan is not going to achieve their aims, and will make a major change in the way their football side of things is run at the Club.

Not particularly.

:qqb004:

One failure doesn't mean ripping up the plan

One failure can destroy all that has been previously achieved.

When Budge relinquishes control of the club to the FOH Levein will go.

Really its not big deal, I don't get myself hung up on shit I can't control!  :qqb003:

You must have a pretty relaxed view on ALL things to do with Hearts - because with respect you can control none of them. 

You must have a pretty relaxed view on ALL things to do with Hearts - because with respect you can control none of them.

Haha yeh very true. I've followed Hearts since 9 yo and I love watching Hearts, win lose or draw, but have long since got over events at Tynecastle dominating my thoughts for too long after the games. The current Levein/Cathro/anyone else without the relevant experience (in (insert username) vast wealth of football experience and knowledge) is pretty dreary to me. I'm actually sick of listening to the media talk about Hearts cos it's the same drivel.

Haha yeh very true. I've followed Hearts since 9 yo and I love watching Hearts, win lose or draw, but have long since got over events at Tynecastle dominating my thoughts for too long after the games. The current Levein/Cathro/anyone else without the relevant experience (in (insert username) vast wealth of football experience and knowledge) is pretty dreary to me. I'm actually sick of listening to the media talk about Hearts cos it's the same drivel.

I envy you!  :10800:

I envy you!  :10800:

Maybe just an age thing  :sad3:  :sad3: 

Administration was the last time I had sleepless nights about Hearts.  I know some will get all bent out of shape about this next bit but this current "crisis" will definitely end pretty soon but it will not see the end of our club.  I can't really see anything that will get me into the same state as June 2013.

fabienleclerq

Robbie Neilson.

You continue to miss the point I was making and the big picture -

Levein has a policy of appointing young guys as first team Head Coach with NO first team Head Coaching experience. That is a major concern to me and many other Hearts fans.

He's appointed two head coaches, the first one romped the championship, finished third to two let's be honest superior teams and left us second. I'd class Neilson as a success.

His second one has started poorly but is highly rated and I still think he'll get it right, if he doesn't then he'll need to go.

Maybe just an age thing  :sad3:  :sad3:

Administration was the last time I had sleepless nights about Hearts.  I know some will get all bent out of shape about this next bit but this current "crisis" will definitely end pretty soon but it will not see the end of our club.  I can't really see anything that will get me into the same state as June 2013.

Ah so your "long time" only stretched back to 2013?  :qqb007:

He's appointed two head coaches, the first one romped the championship, finished third to two let's be honest superior teams and left us second. I'd class Neilson as a success.

His second one has started poorly but is highly rated and I still think he'll get it right, if he doesn't then he'll need to go.

Who? Cathro or Levein?  :tiny:

Nothing, it just doesn't fit the west coast media's narrative to bash us with.

Another of Levein's DU pals

So if you were Levein, would you bring people you know, rate and trust to the club or people who come with a good reputation but you don't know personally? People keep referring to the DU links but ask any united fan and they'll tell you it was the best period since Jim McLean at its peak when Levein & co were running them.

Even though Cathro asked him to do it??

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Won't be getting a free meal off Nandos then. Refreshing rant though

Even though Cathro asked him to do it??

If Cathro is asking Levein for advice half way through the match, and is asking him to come in to the dressing room at half time, then Levein has picked a totally inadequate Head Coach.

So if you were Levein, would you bring people you know, rate and trust to the club or people who come with a good reputation but you don't know personally? People keep referring to the DU links but ask any united fan and they'll tell you it was the best period since Jim McLean at its peak when Levein & co were running them.

Yes "& Co"

Peter Houston did a cracking job there - won them the SC I believe........ :tiny:

Yes "& Co"

Peter Houston did a cracking job there - won them the SC I believe........ :tiny:

if he would do it having Houston on the staff alongside Cathro and macphee would be good. Adds experience and I imagine he would easy go through any under performing players

queensferryjambo

So everybody claiming it's a "jobs for the boys" appointment is talking s***e?

:stuart:

In this case absolutely yes :)

I really have no idea what possible link there is between Levein and Rankin that makes them 'the boys', friends, ex-colleagues etc or in fact that they even know each other. 

Cut The Crap

In this case absolutely yes :)

I really have no idea what possible link there is between Levein and Rankin that makes them 'the boys', friends, ex-colleagues etc or in fact that they even know each other. 

I hate it when the facts undercut baseless prejudice. Is nothing sacred?

if he would do it having Houston on the staff alongside Cathro and macphee would be good. Adds experience and I imagine he would easy go through any under performing players

Houston maybe still wants to be a manager outright and not part of a coaching team as he would be at Hearts. Anyway too many cooks and all that, let's give the coaching team we have at the moment our support a full pre season and then judge the team after a full round of fixtures. If nothing much changes then questions would need to be answered from AB & CL.

queensferryjambo

I hate it when the facts undercut baseless prejudice. Is nothing sacred?

Knowing my luck after defending this decision to sign Rankin he will turn out to be Levein's cousin or something ;)

Houston maybe still wants to be a manager outright and not part of a coaching team as he would be at Hearts. Anyway too many cooks and all that, let's give the coaching team we have at the moment our support a full pre season and then judge the team after a full round of fixtures. If nothing much changes then questions would need to be answered from AB & CL.

I agree and I hope Cathro and MacPhee can do the business during the summer and kick on next season. Maybe one of them needs to turn up with a proper nasty streak one day just to scare some of them

OmiyaHearts

If Cathro is asking Levein for advice half way through the match, and is asking him to come in to the dressing room at half time, then Levein has picked a totally inadequate Head Coach.

Spot on.

We have a manager / first team coach who needs on the job training during a match. It's completely unacceptable.

Yes "& Co"

yes with a team that CL had built when PH was his assistant !!!!!!! You should stick to reporting on the progress of the Stand rebuilding. You are letting yourself down getting embroiled in this argument which is going nowhere fast since CL is here for a long time.

Now bringing Malofeev into play - getting desperate guys....

It's a reasonable example. Read up on Malofeev and ignore hiw our media painted him as a clown - disgracefully. He may have been old school but he had a great pedigree.

Fact is there is no guarantee of success with any manager. Every year theres a new next big thing - coyle, mcghee, eric black, steve clarke, alex neil, george burley... managers just seem to click at some clubs and not others.

My view is the chances if success are higher no matter who the boss is if the rest of the clubnisnin good shape. Which is why i like our current model - success rate is 50% so far with neilson doing well and cathro struggling. Time will tell tho

Has anybody thought that the whole passing notes,Levein in dressing room thing is just a clever ploy?. Taking the spotlight away from the players,the new arrivals in particular.The coach taking one for them and so gaining respect.It was all done in such an obvious,blatant manner.Hardly the way to keep controversy away.Just me thinking out the box but it just seemed like a contrived drama to me.Maybe the staff at Hearts are having a laugh at all the media hysterics?.Maybe i'm just mental?.

Wondering when we will sign Stephen Thompson, he's about the only one left we've not brought in with a Dundee United connection.

Dundee-546100.jpg

And the first one to invite Levein on to the Board - how did that work out for them?........then Scotland.

Stick with the winners - Craig Levein. 

yes with a team that CL had built when PH was his assistant !!!!!!! You should stick to reporting on the progress of the Stand rebuilding. You are letting yourself down getting embroiled in this argument which is going nowhere fast since CL is here for a long time.

Should I really - sorry I did not realise I was precluded from giving my opinion on football matters at the Club.

Has anybody thought that the whole passing notes,Levein in dressing room thing is just a clever ploy?. Taking the spotlight away from the players,the new arrivals in particular.The coach taking one for them and so gaining respect.It was all done in such an obvious,blatant manner.Hardly the way to keep controversy away.Just me thinking out the box but it just seemed like a contrived drama to me.Maybe the staff at Hearts are having a laugh at all the media hysterics?.Maybe i'm just mental?.

Ah so all part of the Levein strategy - clever, very clever!

:stupid:

We are the new Dundee United

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully not heading for the same destination...... :uhoh2:

Archived