Michael Stewart

kila

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Why does everything the club says regarding Levein have to be open to debate? Why the agendas?

I am usually defensive Mothy, but I think we have reached a point where we are entitled to know what to expect of our DoF.

I feel sorry for Cathro, I really do. I like him a lot. Just not sure what the guidance is for him.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Stewart calls it as it is

I agree completely with what Michael Stewart  had to say. All fair comment and very true. I am not having a go at Craig Leven who I have respect for what he has done for the club since administration but I see as very unfair on Cathro having to carry the can. Time for us all to stand up and be counted beginning with our DOF. We have completely lost our way on the park and it would appear that Robbie Neilson has been holding the whole playing side together. Total shambles since he left.

i wish jj was my dad

I think he signed about 20 players in a couple of seasons at United.

Look at their league positions in the 10 years before he got the gig. And what happened after macnamara appeared.

The wee **** isn't speaking from a position of strength.

Maybe someone can help me here.

We've had a bad couple of weeks and MS is effectively blaming CL.

We had a good week when we beat Rangers and Motherwell.  Did MS praise Levein?

Geoff the Mince
Maybe someone can help me here.

We've had a bad couple of weeks and MS is effectively blaming CL

We had a good week when we beat Rangers and Motherwell.  Did MS praise Levein?[/qu

The Hibs results could be a factor .

Amazingly , Jackie Macnamara was up from York last week and ripping Levein apart. Not sure he'd say it to his face but blames Levein for the majority of Dundee United's mess / debt . Several other character flaws were raised also.

Jackie MacNamara who was happy to take the credit for a fantastic crop of young players produced from a youth set up totally revamped by Levein? MacNamara who got to play Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Robertson which helped raise his stock? MacNamara who personally pocketed money from their sales?

Hmmmm.

Look at their league positions in the 10 years before he got the gig. And what happened after macnamara appeared.

The wee **** isn't speaking from a position of strength.

That's not the same issue.  Gretna soared on overspending.  It is possible that the 20 signings were a factor in their financial troubles.

If you could be bothered doing any research at all, you would know it was Austin M who knew about the Greek players through his involvement with Northern Ireland in their Euro qualifiers. Same for Strunah I believe, but carry on blaming Levein.

How anyone doesn't know this is beyond me. Add to that the fact that Cathro had Goncalves at Rio Ave and first met McPhee through the transfer of the same player on loan to St Mirren in 2013.

So, that's Goncalves, Avlonitis, Struana and Tziolis who are linked to McPhee and Cathro.

What about Aaron Hughes? Apparently he was at the Euros playing for Northern Ireland in the summer just there. Really got me scratching my head here who might know him who's currently involved at Hearts.

Can anyone help?

Michael Stewart is bang on the money. The constant turnover of players is the main reason for our current issues. Bringing in 9 new players takes time for them to get used to each other, the system, the league etc. We are maybe expecting too much for a new manager, new team and new way of playing to bed in as quick.

If IC/CL are happy with the players they've brought in, and most of us can see that are a decent quality and pedigree, then they should stick with that and revert back to a couple of ins and outs each season. Changing almost a whole team every season for the last 3 seasons seems bizarre and devoid of any "5 year plan".

Captain Canada

What I'd like to see is some improvement in our younger players. We're close to being three seasons into the new regime and there's not much evidence of good young players coming through.

A lot of the ones we've brought in have left and the more recent signings don't seem to be knocking on the door of the first team with the exception of Currie.

Hamilton and Smith have gone backwards in recent months and guys such as Beith seem to have been demoted with the arrival of all the new signings.

I understand that it's not as easy as flicking a switch, but almost three years is surely a decent amount of time in which to identify, sign and develop new young players?

At what point do we start looking for a return from the academy, 5 years, 10 years?

There is a well-documented plan, but I don't see it being put into place at the moment.

i wish jj was my dad

That's not the same issue. Gretna soared on overspending. It is possible that the 20 signings were a factor in their financial troubles.

I think their budget peaked under Mccall which was several years before Levein's arrival.

Stewart is a PHM who IMO is probably the best pundit in scotland. Speaks his mind and not afraid to upset anyone.

I have no doubt at all that 80% of our signings have come from Levein. Your telling me that Cathro knew of Sowah? Or the greek boys etc. Granted he clearly had a big say on Goncalves coming but was same for Neilson. CL and john Murray are behind 80% of all our signings since the new regime. And very few get pass marks. MARTIN, OSHANIWA, SAMMON all on 3 year deals gtf man. Our signing policy seems to be get in whoever we can and hope they work and for me they dont. Giving 6 month deals to players is the better idea as they know they are fighting for a new deal or a big move. 3 year deals to likes of Osh Martin and Sammon make them do **** all because they know they picking up a wage regardless. The regime is shite and Cathro is working with other peoples players and not his own

Michael Stewart PHM

Aye right!!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Notice he had a further dig by making a point of Aberdeens consistency and team spirit

Jackie MacNamara making out Levein had a negative impact on Dundee United? :rofl:

JACKIE MACNAMARA?

:gok:

The same Jackie has won a lot more in the game than Levein ever did Mothy , i'm not saying what he says is right as i have not looked into it but the guy was a good pro in his day .

Michael Stewart was bang on in absolutely everything he said.

Didn't he read Robbie Neilson's interview a couple of weeks ago where he said a DoF was vital for any club and that Craig Levein's role meant he could get on with coaching the team and he would be looking to get one in at MK DONS.

Tend to agree. Anything that questions the clubs strategy these days tends to lead in having an agenda against someone at the club.

I think they might be right about each other...!!

Didn't he read Robbie Neilson's interview a couple of weeks ago where he said a DoF was vital for any club and that Craig Levein's role meant he could get on with coaching the team and he would be looking to get one in at MK DONS.

Vital for ANY club?? Name me all the clubs you know with a director of football. For every 1 you name me I'll name you 10 without 1.

So folk are really using the 9 signings as a stick to beat Levein with?

I have never seen a new manager supported as well as Cathro so quickly.

Whether they have gelled yet or they can make it in the SPL is one thing but such fantastic backing of a new manager is hugely positive.

In fact the support that Cathro immediately got with signings has been the most positive part of things so far.

By The Light..

9/10 for Stewart as a pundit He talks less shite than the rest of them.

He is good to listen too when talking about the way a team is set out and the tactics employed, players efforts etc, i.e. match analysis.

Other than that he's a ****** with questionable politics

He is good to listen too when talking about the way a team is set out and the tactics employed, players efforts etc, i.e. match analysis.

Other than that he's a ****** with questionable politics

I don't agree with his politics either, but as long as he doesn't talk about him on Sportscene, which so far he hasn't, I am fine with that.

Notice he had a further dig by making a point of Aberdeens consistency and team spirit

Don't think that was a dig, it's true.

I could be wrong but you were as much a critic of Aberdeen as I was/am.

But in the cold light of day they are way ahead. They still aren't "all that" but remind me of some past bog standard Hearts sides we've had.

Dependable, solid for the SPL, run hard, give their all for the club and manager and work that hard they earn their breaks and space to do damage in the opposition last third.

I still wouldn't even align them with some of the better teams that have finished top 3 over the years in the SPL but they are sadly the benchmark which actually wouldn't be hard for us to match or surpass with good management.

Vital for ANY club?? Name me all the clubs you know with a director of football. For every 1 you name me I'll name you 10 without 1.

Mr Levein feathering his nest quite nicely.

Stewart has been right about Levein from the start.

Absolute rubbish.  Read the post about his assessment of Stewart as a player and how big his ego is. You should jump on the Gambo train !!!!

Jackie MacNamara making out Levein had a negative impact on Dundee United? :rofl:

JACKIE MACNAMARA?

:gok:

Even I can see this is bonkers.

Sense Jackie is just wanting to keep his profile above water.

That's why the tribute act are now going down that road !!!!!!!

That doesn't mean they can't play a vital role.

Many of the top clubs in the world have one, including Paris St Germain, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Barcelona, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Dortmund....the list goes on.

disgruntledfan

How anyone doesn't know this is beyond me. Add to that the fact that Cathro had Goncalves at Rio Ave and first met McPhee through the transfer of the same player on loan to St Mirren in 2013.

So, that's Goncalves, Avlonitis, Struana and Tziolis who are linked to McPhee and Cathro.

What about Aaron Hughes? Apparently he was at the Euros playing for Northern Ireland in the summer just there. Really got me scratching my head here who might know him who's currently involved at Hearts.

Can anyone help?

So what you are saying is Levein gave Cathro and McPhee cart blanche to sign players that they had previously noticed in a few games or have worked with.

Thus meaning that Levein was kept out the equation and just believed his new management / coaching team, who had no previous experience in signing players, were now master scouts as well ? 

Even I can see this is bonkers.

Sense Jackie is just wanting to keep his profile above water.

Absolutely incredible, eh? :lol:

So what you are saying is Levein gave Cathro and McPhee cart blanche to sign players that they had previously noticed in a few games or have worked with.

Thus meaning that Levein was kept out the equation and just believed his new management / coaching team, who had no previous experience in signing players, were now master scouts as well ? 

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Doesn't sign the players?  WHAT IS HE DOING TRUSTING THE COACHING TEAM??

Signs the players? OMG WHY IS HE MEDDLING AND SIGNING ALL THIS DROSS??

The same Jackie has won a lot more in the game than Levein ever did Mothy , i'm not saying what he says is right as i have not looked into it but the guy was a good pro in his day .

A bit of a silly comparison if I may say so.

CL's playing career was cut short by serious injury at a point when he was being touted for some big clubs in England  He was probably the outstanding young prospect in Scottish football at the time.  JM was a reasonable full back but little more and was lucky to be a member of one of Scotland's big two.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I could be wrong but you were as much a critic of Aberdeen as I was/am.

But in the cold light of day they are way ahead. They still aren't "all that" but remind me of some past bog standard Hearts sides we've had.

Dependable, solid for the SPL, run hard, give their all for the club and manager and work that hard they earn their breaks and space to do damage in the opposition last third.

I still wouldn't even align them with some of the better teams that have finished top 3 over the years in the SPL but they are sadly the benchmark which actually wouldn't be hard for us to match or surpass with good management.

You are right, I have been. They have a very simple formula I didn't think was so hard to crack.

However we have gone the polar opposite

Walter Bishop

Why does anyone who has an opinion that is not 100% positive have an agenda against Levein?

Exactly! 

The abuse handed out to anyone on here and in general that is not happy with how Levein is doing his "job" is abysmal. 

He was the best pundit in my eyes until I really warmed to chris sutton (despite his pro celtic/rangers obsessed rants).

Exactly!

The abuse handed out to anyone on here and in general that is not happy with how Levein is doing his "job" is abysmal.

Nah. It really isn't. It's comparatively mild; like "pant wetter" and such. Drunkenly screaming abuse at the DoF and HC, or the little innuendos about them is much worse. Anyway, the abuse on here goes both ways.

Scary how similar this is resembling the USSR nowadays. 

Five-year plans, a perfect leader, criticism of him being deemed anti-Hearts.

Ridiculous, Levein deserves criticism, this Director of Football model is not a golden chalice and it will need to start producing results before us fans are totally convinced by it

Absolutely incredible, eh? :lol:

i know it is incredible Jackie has got 4 league winners medals , 3 Scottish cup , 3 league cup , 3 Scottish player of the year awards and played against Europe's best and was the captain of Celtic  . What has Levein got apart from keeking his Naks in one of the biggest games in the clubs history and many of the players from that time will tell you that ?  The way you are describing it Mothy its as if he is not aloud to have a opinion , ok his opinion might not meet what you like but it is not like it is coming from someone that has never played the game , is everybody wrong that has a opinion on him because it seems there are quite a few within the game got plenty to say about him , are they all wrong . And by the way its only my opinion .

Stewart has been right about Levein from the start.

and vice-versa. Stewart could only dream about being as good a player as Levein was

We need a good manager and Cathro might well potentially be it. All managers are going to be, to an extent, limited by this model and I think it should be time to scrap it and send Levein packing

it will need to start producing results before us fans are totally convinced by it

Results like winning the championship and following it up with a third placed finish?

Results like winning the championship and following it up with a third placed finish?

Yeah let's keep hanging onto one brilliant season in the Championship, that will see us progress as a club.

We failed to build on that, Levein is stubborn and the treatment of Eckersley, Alexander, Ozturk, Rossi and others has showed we are going about things the wrong way when it comes to contract negotiations. We are failing to build a strong nucleus of a squad, which the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone all have.

Then again, whatever pockets his mates a few extra in agent fees no doubt

August Landmesser

How many people 'just hate Levein'?

And also, why do people hate Levein? That's what I don't understand. The man's one of the greatest players we ever had, was a decent manager, oversaw our first 5-1, and is now helping to rebuild the club to set us up for a bright future.

Has he been going around pumping kickbackers' wives in his spare time? The hate is baffling...

Yeah let's keep hanging onto one brilliant season in the Championship, that will see us progress as a club.

We failed to build on that, Levein is stubborn and the treatment of Eckersley, Alexander, Ozturk, Rossi and others has showed we are going about things the wrong way when it comes to contract negotiations. We are failing to build a strong nucleus of a squad, which the likes of Celtic, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone all have.

Then again, whatever pockets his mates a few extra in agent fees no doubt

Let's just pretend 2 successful seasons didn't happen because they don't suit the anti-Levein agenda.

Archived