Michael Stewart

kila

What has Levein got apart from keeking his Naks in one of the biggest games in the clubs history and many of the players from that time will tell you that ?

Aaaaaaand... there we have it. It's only taken nearly four years. :rofl:

A few more should be a little more honest about their reasons for not liking Levein. That's plenty from you though, man... plenty. :thumbsup:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaaaaand... there we have it. It's only taken nearly four years. :rofl:

A few more should be a little more honest about their reasons for not liking Levein. That's plenty from you though, man... plenty. :thumbsup:

i asked you what he had won Mothy come on man ,  :qqb004:

Jackie MacNamara who was happy to take the credit for a fantastic crop of young players produced from a youth set up totally revamped by Levein? MacNamara who got to play Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Robertson which helped raise his stock? MacNamara who personally pocketed money from their sales?

Hmmmm.

I live in York and MacNamara was a total clown of a manager here. Got them relegated from league football and had them bottom of Conference before he got sacked. Complete arse of a manager

McNamara picking out other people's character flaws........

:rofl:

The man is a dick.

Instead of feckin posting shit - clear your inbox will you?

:vrface:

Are you happy with the job Levein is doing?

IF he has a lot to do with most of the signings and the in and outs of all the players which i think he has then the answer would be no ,  Over the last couple of years the amount has been nothing short of incredible and no matter what anybody says somebody should be accountable ,  Unless he has got a free reign regardless if he mucks up , are you happy with the job he is doing infact what does he actually do .

Are you happy with the job Levein is doing?

Yes. The stuff that I can be sure of. The case against him would have more substance if it wasn't built upon rumours and innuendos... or agendas based on a game 30 years ago, and yet more rumours and innuendos.

Thing is most of his work won't really be able to be judged for a few years yet. I'd prefer a better hit rate on signings, but that's dependent on how much influence he has on that, purely administrative or active in identifying targets. It appears Neilson identified positions that needed filled and Levein and Murray gave him a few options to look at, then Neilson decided if he wanted them. Cathro appears to have more scope in identifying his own targets, along with his assistant.

The rest of his remit seems to be getting done quite well. Certainly a lot better than to deserve some of the vitriol.

McNamara picking out other people's character flaws........

The man is a dick.

Especially after his time as United manager.

Theres clearly no love lost between the two and I think to an extent Levein has ****ed up recently with high turnover of playing staff being the biggest one, however this has been addressed by people already. Players like Eckersley and Pallardo didn't make the step up, Youth grads such as Carrick, Mckay and Holt weren't good enough (in his opinion) however he has made dud signings too - El Glass, Anderson, Sammon, Osh. 

So I can't grudge Stewart for jumping on that but it is important that Levein tries to learn from the end to the season thats currently being painted by the clowns he's signed.

There are certain posters on here who are not worth listening to as they have long held agendas .

There are certain pundits on TV who are not worth listening to as they have long held agendas.

We go round and round in circles on the Pro CL and anti CL arguments with people unable to see the wood for the trees.

My own view is that CL should not be allowed to have the run of the football related boardroom decisions. I feel he should be asked to step down from the board and front the first team operations himself with IC and AMcP working as coaches under him. By doing this CL no longer has absolute power without responsibility.

I have been a long time admirer of CL and would hate to see someone with so much experience and feeling for the club discarded but we cant carry on like this he has to be held responsible for his performance. The same applies to whoever is in charge of scouting there have been some awful players recommended to Hearts in the last couple of years. Sometimes it seems obvious that no effort has been put in to watch players before signing them.

Any football agent could make up a ten minute video of a players best moments and circulate it among interested clubs. Our scouting department seem to fall for this time and again.

That doesn't mean they can't play a vital role.

Many of the top clubs in the world have one, including Paris St Germain, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Barcelona, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Dortmund....the list goes on.

...and little old Hearts, a also ran in a backwater league.

Absolute nap it was Leveins idea too, the golden ticket for him. A hand in everything and wheel out saps like Wobbie or Wee Ian for the media doing.

My guess is if the position didn't exist you wouldn't see much of a difference in how we've ended up.

We have went through far too many players. Got rid of players and replaced them with guys nowhere near as good. James Keatings, for example, was the best player on the park at Tynecastle the other week.

There are certain posters on here who are not worth listening to as they have long held agendas .

There are certain pundits on TV who are not worth listening to as they have long held agendas.

We go round and round in circles on the Pro CL and anti CL arguments with people unable to see the wood for the trees.

My own view is that CL should not be allowed to have the run of the football related boardroom decisions. I feel he should be asked to step down from the board and front the first team operations himself with IC and AMcP working as coaches under him. By doing this CL no longer has absolute power without responsibility.

I have been a long time admirer of CL and would hate to see someone with so much experience and feeling for the club discarded but we cant carry on like this he has to be held responsible for his performance. The same applies to whoever is in charge of scouting there have been some awful players recommended to Hearts in the last couple of years. Sometimes it seems obvious that no effort has been put in to watch players before signing them.

Any football agent could make up a ten minute video of a players best moments and circulate it among interested clubs. Our scouting department seem to fall for this time and again.

Bravo. 

My sentiments for the last 15 months.

The heart was ripped out of the Championship winning team.  Apparently we had a bit more cash on promotion , so we upped the ante - and got 3rd. But that wasn't enough to keep RN at the club. You really have to ask why. Anyway  RN, thanks for everything and best of luck. 

This season has been a total disaster from the outset and what we are seeing now was going to happen eventually.   This "team" is a total shambles.  It's not down to signing a few duds IMO. The club has signed poor players , has failed to sign players in critical areas, etc, etc. 

Player recruitment has been woefully inadequate and there have been plenty of  decent posters on here week after week saying the same thing. 

"The club" are playing the fans for mugs - I don't want to see anyone at "the club" take the kind of criticism they have but "the club " created this problem. And we're going to fix this in the transfer window ?

This season was wrecked when RN left (no criticism of RN) - and we can all see why.  

So  now we have a rookie coach drowning with a squad that's (again) laughable.

Like I said in the new year, who is accountable for this mess ? 

I have no sense of entitlement , I've been a fan for 50 years , but I can't remember a time when we apparently had so much money but have done so badly in the transfer market (OK, apart from JJ spunking that ?6 million).

This season is a write off - but there has to be accountability.  The coach can only  play what he has and I don't believe for one second that what we're seeing is IC's team. And if it is, then CL has some questions to answer.

For the record : how many people were interviewed for role of head coach ?

Mikey Stewart is right in what he's attempting to say. Albeit poorly presented. The DoF roles is to provide continuity, he sets the agenda for all footballing matters throughout the club. There should be a smooth transition when head coaches move on. Clearly that's not happened with the comings and goings in January.

Mikey Stewart is right in what he's attempting to say. Albeit poorly presented. The DoF roles is to provide continuity, he sets the agenda for all footballing matters throughout the club. There should be a smooth transition when head coaches move on. Clearly that's not happened with the comings and goings in January.

RT

Specifically, at HMFC, what role does the DOF play in the selection of head coach ? 

What is the role of DOF (if appropriate) in  player targets & actual signings. ? 

That's all I want to know. 

Mickey Stewart's got a point about recruitment, I think that is a universally accepted criticism though.

We need to start building a team imo and supplementing that core with youth products and good players who we can develop further from other clubs in Scotland, like we did under JJ.

Experienced players like Hughes and foreign quality should always have a place but they need to be scouted better, not just okay'd from a wiki page or a few YouTube videos.

We need to know that anyone coming in can cope with the physicality, the conditions and the pace here as well as their character and what the bring on a personal level to the team.

We have went through far too many players. Got rid of players and replaced them with guys nowhere near as good. James Keatings, for example, was the best player on the park at Tynecastle the other week.

Steady!

Because

1. The system in place is only 3 years old

2. The intention is that continuity comes from within the club primarily through coaches stepping up and a higher percentage of youth players coming through to the team

3. Neilson left earlier than expected

4. The youth side of it is still being rebuilt

5. No coaches within the club were deemed ready to step up.

I like Michael Stewart as a pundit but he definitely got his point tangled up by his personal feelings towards Levein.

Started by questioning the need for a DoF at Hearts then finished his comments saying Cathro and McCann needed an experienced wise head to help guide them. It was just a rant.

Take it you attended game vs Bonnyrigg Rose!!

Amazingly , Jackie Macnamara was up from York last week and ripping Levein apart. Not sure he'd say it to his face but blames Levein for the majority of Dundee United's mess / debt . Several other character flaws were raised also.

So nothing to do with Jackie getting a cut from player sales then

I like Michael Stewart as a pundit but he definitely got his point tangled up by his personal feelings towards Levein.

Started by questioning the need for a DoF at Hearts then finished his comments saying Cathro and McCann needed an experienced wise head to help guide them. It was just a rant.

Just finished watching, you are "spot on"

Because

2. The intention is that continuity comes from within the club primarily through coaches stepping up and a higher percentage of youth players coming through to the team

While I don't disagree with your points. But none that explains why we ripped up Neilsons team. Surely the best thing to do was keep it with maybe 2 or 3 additions and get to the summer.

Because

No.2 : the plan does not necessarily mean we have to promote coaches from within. In fact, there is no way his club should be used as a conveyor belt of learning for novice coaches. The DoF can appoint a Head Coach who has similar beliefs in how the game should be played...that's where the continuity is.

rab obanheartsno1

Agreed with everything he said and even I can see that sowahs not a centre half and why not play Novak there simple really and was at fault for both goals

Glamorgan Jambo

As others have said Mikey has a long memory and his views on Levein are kind of tainted.

I do agree with some of his points though. We simply made too many changes too quickly. Partly forced by injury granted. As well as the loss of Djoum and Rherras to AFCON.

If you look at the line up vs Rangers we had Tziolis on the bench, brought him on for a 15 minute cameo, which was great, and then he's played every minute since then. Great player but should have been eased into the team much more gradually.

Many other examples like him..

The shitting it before Dens is complete bollocks.

Only folk who actually believe it are the guys who seem to hate Levein more than they love Hearts.

The shitting it before Dens is complete bollocks.

Only folk who actually believe it are the guys who seem to hate Levein more than they love Hearts.

Yet, over time it's become a 'FACT'. Thinly veiled agendas.

My own view is that CL should not be allowed to have the run of the football related boardroom decisions. I feel he should be asked to step down from the board and front the first team operations himself with IC and AMcP working as coaches under him. By doing this CL no longer has absolute power without responsibility.

So basically nobody's opinion matters but yours?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I've met Craig Levein several times all good. He was a hero as a player, the car was silent for 120 miles heading home the night his career ended.

But I want him to show some leadership right now, I want him to be far more communicative, and I want to know what the strategy and targets are for Heart of Midlothian, because I think our commitment and loyalty at least deserves that

I've met Craig Levein several times all good. He was a hero as a player, the car was silent for 120 miles heading home the night his career ended.

But I want him to show some leadership right now, I want him to be far more communicative, and I want to know what the strategy and targets are for Heart of Midlothian, because I think our commitment and loyalty at least deserves that

You want him to repeat what he said a few months ago?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-third-or-fourth-is-hearts-target-1-4323384

Arnold Rothstein

Genuinely couldn't have told you he was playing. You might be right however as i probably did nod off a few times.

Stewart is a PHM who IMO is probably the best pundit in scotland. Speaks his mind and not afraid to upset anyone.

I have no doubt at all that 80% of our signings have come from Levein. Your telling me that Cathro knew of Sowah? Or the greek boys etc. Granted he clearly had a big say on Goncalves coming but was same for Neilson. CL and john Murray are behind 80% of all our signings since the new regime. And very few get pass marks. MARTIN, OSHANIWA, SAMMON all on 3 year deals gtf man. Our signing policy seems to be get in whoever we can and hope they work and for me they dont. Giving 6 month deals to players is the better idea as they know they are fighting for a new deal or a big move. 3 year deals to likes of Osh Martin and Sammon make them do **** all because they know they picking up a wage regardless. The regime is shite and Cathro is working with other peoples players and not his own

Thats the way I see it.Taking players in untried and hoping it will turn out ok,to many duds signed for my liking.

Vital for ANY club?? Name me all the clubs you know with a director of football. For every 1 you name me I'll name you 10 without 1.

For the record it wasn't me that said it, Robbie Neilson said it in an interview.

Good to see Michael has jumped off his freedom fighting bandwagon to get a couple of cheap digs at Hearts when we are at a low point. PHM right enough.

Let's be honest. Stewart arrived up here thinking he was a Man Utd world beater in the mould of Beckham and Levein brought him down by several notches. Ever since then he has used his status in the media to lay into him whenever we have had any kind of rocky period.

As for Jackie McNamara...dearie me! Levein took over Utd when they were bottom of the SPL, turned them into a regular top 6 team, revamped the whole coaching structure(including bringing in Cathro) this was despite having to slash the wage bill he'd inherited off the disasters off McCall/Brewster.

Given that McNamara personally pocketed money off the sale of young players from the work Levein put in place I find it laughable he can have a go at him from any position of strength.

Good to see Michael has jumped off his freedom fighting bandwagon to get a couple of cheap digs at Hearts when we are at a low point. PHM right enough.

Let's be honest. Stewart arrived up here thinking he was a Man Utd world beater in the mould of Beckham and Levein brought him down by several notches. Ever since then he has used his status in the media to lay into him whenever we have had any kind of rocky period.

As for Jackie McNamara...dearie me! Levein took over Utd when they were bottom of the SPL, turned them into a regular top 6 team, revamped the whole coaching structure(including bringing in Cathro) this was despite having to slash the wage bill he'd inherited off the disasters off McCall/Brewster.

Given that McNamara personally pocketed money off the sale of young players from the work Levein put in place I find it laughable he can have a go at him from any position of strength.

So if any of us have a pop at Levein for the current shambles the football side is in, we are not PHM??????

So if any of us have a pop at Levein for the current shambles the football side is in, we are not PHM??????

The point I'm making is that Michael Stewart seems to pick his times to have a go at Hearts(Levein) extremely conveniently I.e whenever we are on a bit of a downer. As I said above I believe this is more personal between the two of them.

I agree that Levein has made mistakes but not to the extent where he needs to be constantly lambasted.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No mention of cups, European progress, level of player. Stating the obvious for this season and struggling to achieve it. Ian will answer that himself in time. I'm really not sure what his job is, what is success or failure for Craig Levein. You are easily pleased if that is what you expect in terms of objective.

Time to be a bit bolder. Comfort zone.

The point I'm making is that Michael Stewart seems to pick his times to have a go at Hearts(Levein) extremely conveniently I.e whenever we are on a bit of a downer. As I said above I believe this is more personal between the two of them.

I agree that Levein has made mistakes but not to the extent where he needs to be constantly lambasted.

I think you will find that Levein has made a good few enemies in football due to his ego and 'my way or the highway' attitude.

Stewart "picks his time" to have a go at Levein "whenever we are on a bit of a downer" - surely that is exactly the time anybody will criticise Levein when our performaces, results and management are in a shambles - something Levein has ultimate control over. 

He has not been constantly "lambasted" however he now deserves to be, as his grand 5 year plan is crumbling!

Thought Police

Stewart is a PHM who IMO is probably the best pundit in scotland. Speaks his mind and not afraid to upset anyone.

I have no doubt at all that 80% of our signings have come from Levein. Your telling me that Cathro knew of Sowah? Or the greek boys etc. Granted he clearly had a big say on Goncalves coming but was same for Neilson. CL and john Murray are behind 80% of all our signings since the new regime. And very few get pass marks. MARTIN, OSHANIWA, SAMMON all on 3 year deals gtf man. Our signing policy seems to be get in whoever we can and hope they work and for me they dont. Giving 6 month deals to players is the better idea as they know they are fighting for a new deal or a big move. 3 year deals to likes of Osh Martin and Sammon make them do **** all because they know they picking up a wage regardless. The regime is shite and Cathro is working with other peoples players and not his own

Surprised no one has responded to this.

Most of the signings since Cathro has come in have clear links to himself and MacPhee. You've correctly highlighted Isma as he's worked with both of them previously. While Cathro may not have known of the Greek boys, MacPhee almost certainly did after Greece and Northern Ireland were in the same qualifying group for the Euros. Similarly, Aaron Hughes plays for Northern Ireland. I don't know how you can't consider both of their knowledge of the wider market in Europe as they've worked there, compared to Levein who does not have experience here.

PHM do not sign for the vermin and wear the green & white, end of story.

Nonsense, Michael Stewart is bang on in everything he said on the programme last night. If managers and or players can't take criticism then they're in the wrong profession. Especially when it's 100% justified

I find Michael Stewart the best Scottish pundit on tv and radio at he moment. Never scared to talk his mind and say it as he sees it, without descending into being patronisingly controversial like some that do that job.

He doesn't worry about upsetting those in the game. The worst pundits are the ones that never call out their mates in the game. Stewart speaks his mind and brings a decent level of analysis and insight to what he says.

Clearly by speaking out about CL that will upset those who can't see CL's failings. Stewart has also stood by and supported Cathro as a coach but he has stated that he isn't a manager. That's exactly how I feel. Cathro is undoubtedly a great coach but never a manager. CL will only appoint someone he can control to protect his own position.

That is just so wrong for what the club needs.

So what you are saying is Levein gave Cathro and McPhee cart blanche to sign players that they had previously noticed in a few games or have worked with.

Thus meaning that Levein was kept out the equation and just believed his new management / coaching team, who had no previous experience in signing players, were now master scouts as well ?

In the January window he obviously was happy for them to suggest players and work with them to bring them in. I think the evidence proves that. Overwhelmingly.

I think you will find that Levein has made a good few enemies in football due to his ego and 'my way or the highway' attitude.

Stewart "picks his time" to have a go at Levein "whenever we are on a bit of a downer" - surely that is exactly the time anybody will criticise Levein when our performaces, results and management are in a shambles - something Levein has ultimate control over.

He has not been constantly "lambasted" however he now deserves to be, as his grand 5 year plan is crumbling!

The vast majority of coaches/managers in football have a "few enemies" nature of the beast mate, you will always upset people.

So what you're saying is that whenever we have a couple of bad results we should all get the size 9's on and lay into all and sundry at the club?

Nonsense, Michael Stewart is bang on in everything he said on the programme last night. If managers and or players can't take criticism then they're in the wrong profession. Especially when it's 100% justified

Not sure what your point is about players not taking criticism? The vast majority have come out and agreed performances haven't been up to scratch? I was talking solely about Levein/Stewart/McNamara

Archived