Euro 2008, rules of group stages

The xx

What happens when two teams finish on the same points? I had a look but can only find the rules for the qualifying groups.

Is it definitely how the teams do against each other that decides who finishes above who or is it good old-fashioned goal difference?

What happens when two teams finish on the same points? I had a look but can only find the rules for the qualifying groups.

Is it definitely how the teams do against each other that decides who finishes above who or is it good old-fashioned goal difference?

yeah its head to head that counts in the end.

Say What Again
yeah its head to head that counts in the end.

What happens if Czech Republic draw with Turkey?

They will both have the same points, same goals for, same goals against, and the result of the head to head would be a draw? :wacko:

stella_jambo

They will both have the same points, same goals for, same goals against, and the result of the head to head would be a draw? :wacko:

its a penalty shoot out straight after the game.

if they werent playin each other it goes on points earned in the qualifing for germany 06 and euro 08 devided by games played. if thats the same its draw lots.

crazy i know

Moe Szyslak

There is the possibility of a penalty shoot-out in at least one of the final group stage games. This applies when 2 teams are level on points, head-to-head, goal difference/goals scored and play each other in the last group game.

Czech Republic and Turkey are currently in that position and play each other on Sunday, so if they draw that game they will have a penalty shoot-out to decide who goes through.

If 3 teams are all absolutely level it would come down to co-efficient, then fair play and finally drawing of lots.

it would go to penalties if they were to draw.

Say What Again

Cheers guys.

We were debating that scenario in the boozer last night.

Article 7.08 reads: "If two teams which have the same number of points, the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, the ranking of the two teams in question will be determined by kicks from the penalty mark, provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches." The full regulations can be read by clicking here. Whoever finishes second in Group A will play the winners of Group B in Vienna on 20 June. Portugal, as Group A winners, face the Group B runners-up in Basel the night before.

Precedent

The situation has arisen before in a UEFA final tournament. In the 2002/03 UEFA European Women's Under-19 Championship in Germany, Italy and Sweden went into their last group game exactly level. A last-gasp Italy goal made the score 3-3, and Sweden won the shoot-out 4-1, though they were to lose to Norway on penalties in the semi-finals. Meanwhile, while Turkey have never been in a major penalty shoot-out, the Czech Republic beat France 6-5 to reach the 1996 UEFA European Championship semi-finals and Czechoslovakia defeated West Germany 5-3 in the 1976 final and France 9-8 in the 1980 third-place match, giving the nation a major tournament record of three wins out of three with all 20 attempts converted.

Experience

I was wondering last night during the Austria - Poland match. If Poland had won and then lost to Croatia, and Austria had then beaten Germany, what the hell would've happened. Mainly because -

All teams would have had 3 points.

Germany would have better head to head with Poland but not Austria.

Poland would have better head to head with Austria but not Germany.

Austria would have better head to head with Germany but not Poland.

It's like some crazy, 3-way Rock Paper Scissors where everyone takes a different choice.

I'm assuming they would just go with goal difference in that scenario?

I was wondering last night during the Austria - Poland match. If Poland had won and then lost to Croatia, and Austria had then beaten Germany, what the hell would've happened. Mainly because -

All teams would have had 3 points.

Germany would have better head to head with Poland but not Austria.

Poland would have better head to head with Austria but not Germany.

Austria would have better head to head with Germany but not Poland.

It's like some crazy, 3-way Rock Paper Scissors where everyone takes a different choice.

I'm assuming they would just go with goal difference in that scenario?

Something similar to that could have happened in one of the groups during the African Cup of Nations.

I'm pretty sure in that situation they said red cards came into it. Possibly after goal difference.

Archived