Refs who do they support?

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

I think Callum Murray was a Hearts fan but has now retired.

I just wondered if there were any other SFA refs who support Hearts?

Diadora Van Basten

Like the rest of Scotland, I'd imagine 90% of refs 'support' either of the arse cheeks.

Surely there must be some refs from the East Coast.

Samuel Camazzola

Brian Colvin is a Hearts fan but I think he gave up the officiating a couple of years ago.

He had a shocker refereeing one of our games a few years back. I think it may have been away to St Johnstone.

loveofthegame

Like the rest of Scotland, I'd imagine 90% of refs 'support' either of the arse cheeks.

This. Refs are football fans. Most football fans in Scotland support the old firm. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that chances are most support the OF.

Diadora Van Basten

This. Refs are football fans. Most football fans in Scotland support the old firm. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that chances are most support the OF.

Dallas and Beaton are supposed to support Rangers. Collum supposed to be Celtic. Madden looks like a Rangers fan.

Not sure who Crawford Allan supports but he lives just round the corner from me in Broomhall.

He supports Aberdeen but not fanatically. His wife is a Hearts fan.

He's a good guy, Crawford and a fair ref; not overly fussy. 

CM is a Hearts fan. Worked beside his brother

I hated Callum Murray reffing Hearts games as he really had a tendency to over compensate for that fact. The first time I saw him was at Fir Park and he gave a penalty right in front of us when Scott McDonald nearly tore Andy Webster's shorts off and threw himself to the ground. Shortly after that he got an Edinburgh derby and "missed" Bamba (?) climbing all over Nade in the box at a long throw in a 0-0 draw. It didn't get any better and I can't remember him having a good game involving us.

Dougie fi Porty was the worst, though. Probably gave a potentially game changing decision against Hearts EVERY time we had him.

Edited by Shaggy2

He supports Aberdeen but not fanatically. His wife is a Hearts fan.

He's a good guy, Crawford and a fair ref; not overly fussy.

hes been in the game a long time. He was reffing under 21 football when I played circa 1992,93......

From what I remember he was quite a quiet ref, unassuming compared to others. Always felt for him when he used to get pelters :D. But he must have strong character to have made it :)

Edited by Debut 4

Hampden Demolition

Always thought Stuart Dougall was a decent ref. Pretty sure he was the ref for a few pumpings in the 05/06 season- mainly over Hibs!

The ref for the OF game this weekend is believed to be a Sevco supporter and indeed his brother Brian was on Rangers' and Motherwell's books.

Surely that's a game that needs a totally neutral appointment eg Crawford Allan - just shows how the West reffing clique rule the roost and to hell with fairness and integrity.

The ref for the OF game this weekend is believed to be a Sevco supporter and indeed his brother Brian was on Rangers' and Motherwell's books.

Surely that's a game that needs a totally neutral appointment eg Crawford Allan - just shows how the West reffing clique rule the roost and to hell with fairness and integrity.

Naw chance of a 'neutral' referee for Glasgow arse-cheek game as they don't respect or trust impartial referees. They would rather have someone from 'the other side' than have someone referee the game properly. This is because those outside the arse-cheek bubble don't understand what it's all about - and it's not football but religious based. Edited by Brave Hearts

Morgaro Gomis

hes been in the game a long time. He was reffing under 21 football when I played circa 1992,93......

From what I remember he was quite a quiet ref, unassuming compared to others. Always felt for him when he used to get pelters :D. But he must have strong character to have made it :)

Not that it's all that relevant, but you'd imagine he loves it too. As his daughter is training to be a referee, so he must have had an input in that decision for her.

Edited by Morgaro Gomis

An Aberdeen supporting mate of mine commented on a social media thread the other day which was full of sheep saying they might as well just give us the points now because of Gollum reffing. Made me laugh !

Seymour M Hersh

Even if the SFA made it mandatory (as in England) for referees to reveal the club they support our arsehole cheating gobshites would lie and give it the Chic Dung routine.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Always thought Stuart Dougall was a decent ref. Pretty sure he was the ref for a few pumpings in the 05/06 season- mainly over Hibs!

He gave up early due to serious illness if I remember correctly. His pal was my mates old man

I remember last season, in the English premier league, the appointed ref for one of Leicester's final matches requested to have his match swapped as he was a Leicester fan and didn't want anything he done to be misconstrued.

I remember Jim Traynor, mans an arse as we all know, telling me and my father at a family party how the "system" used to work. Celtic/Rangers would take certain refs, compliance officers, heads of the referees etc to European matches as part of the clubs detail. Invite them to analysis the match and use the whole experience as a learning exercise and bring some of the good stuff you see to the Scottish game. All very sensible stuff and above board. Jim said both the old firm sides used to do this with journalists as well. Give them a freebie on the clubs chartered flights etc and give them access to the players and coaching staff as a "you rub my back, I will rub yours" exercise. We have David Murray to thank for bringing that aspect to the game. Traynor then went on to tell us that they'd then cut certain refs and or associates etc as and when they felt they'd been wronged domestically. For example. Wullie Collum gets a jolly over to the San Siro with Celtic for free, few weeks later misses a decision or makes a wrong decision against them, the next trip goes to Bobby Maiden. The old firm don't have to say anything to these refs or condemn them, just make sure they start to favour another ref and try convince the outcast ref to do "better". This is also the same to pundits and journalists. This was years ago and I've substituted current refs into the scenario as none of the refs he spoke about are still in the game. This was at a family party years ago, over 20 years ago.

On a side note to Traynor, find it very funny to see him so "Mr Rangers". He wasn't that way inclined when I had to suffer him.

Craig Thomson part of the Love St mafia.

Quite a few high profile refs in the recent past supported St Midden

Edited by PTBCAL

Dallas and Beaton are supposed to support Rangers. Collum supposed to be Celtic. Madden looks like a Rangers fan.

Think Madden is a self confessed, former ST holder at Ibrox.

My Dad worked beside a ref in the 70s. He was a Hearts fan called Jock Bissett.

Apparently a good referee, for most part honest but did admit to giving Hearts a pen in a Derby "because they were rubbish at the time".....and they still missed it! :sob:

PeterintheRain

Most football fans in Scotland don't support either of the bigot brothers.   It's never been true and never will be.   Just more of the GFA(gtf) propaganda.

My Dad worked beside a ref in the 70s. He was a Hearts fan called Jock Bissett.

Apparently a good referee, for most part honest but did admit to giving Hearts a pen in a Derby "because they were rubbish at the time".....and they still missed it! :sob:

:rofl:

Cathro's Laptop

Most football fans in Scotland don't support either of the bigot brothers. It's never been true and never will be. Just more of the GFA(gtf) propaganda.

I'm afraid it very much is true. They get 50 & 60 thousand at home when playing well and have thousands of glory hunters from Orkney to Hawick. Stands to reason the vast majority of refs will support, or at least have a soft spot, for one of them. Sad but true.

• 3 years later...
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Random bump just to say Willie Conquer is a Jambo. I'll let you get back to your Saturday nights.

Played in the same team as willie years ago and yes a good jambo but never gave us feck all as a linesman!! 
think he over compensated for the fact he was a jambo and didn’t want to give us anything.

3 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Played in the same team as willie years ago and yes a good jambo but never gave us feck all as a linesman!! 
think he over compensated for the fact he was a jambo and didn’t want to give us anything.

Just googled 'Willie Conquer Hearts' and the first thing that popped up was him getting pelted with coins at Tynecastle. :lol: 

On 29/12/2016 at 10:30, Diadora Van Basten said:
On 29/12/2016 at 10:23, loveofthegame said:

No "supposing" about Dallas, Beaton and Collum.

Dunno about Madden.

Clancy is a red hot tim.

On 29/12/2016 at 17:58, PeterintheRain said:

Most football fans in Scotland don't support either of the bigot brothers.   It's never been true and never will be.   Just more of the GFA(gtf) propaganda.

I'm afraid they do, more so now that ever before.

On 29/12/2016 at 19:20, Cathro's Laptop said:

I'm afraid it very much is true. They get 50 & 60 thousand at home when playing well and have thousands of glory hunters from Orkney to Hawick. Stands to reason the vast majority of refs will support, or at least have a soft spot, for one of them. Sad but true.

I agree it's very much true.

But, TBF, every club, not just the erse cheeks, has bigger crowds the better the team is performing.
 As for glory hunters, look at the sudden appearance of thousands of presumably new fans at Hampden for cup finals when any non cheek club makes it through. 
The SPFL and the clubs themselves should be seeking to do something radical to grab the attention of these 'cup final only' fans and getting them to turn up week in, week out. 
TBH I don't have the first clue as to how on earth to achieve that but then I don't get paid the big bucks that Dungcaster does. 

Niemi’s gloves

One of the few things to be said for being in the Championship is that we are seeing a few less familiar refs. Doesn’t mean that they are any good, of course.

10 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Dunno about Madden.

Clancy is a red hot tim.

Clancy is a Hobo is he not? See him out running in Newhaven/Granton a lot.......must live down there. Boys in the pub have convinced me he’s a hobo.

7 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Clancy is a Hobo is he not? See him out running in Newhaven/Granton a lot.......must live down there. Boys in the pub have convinced me he’s a hobo.

Probably made a move East for a better chance of his house windows surviving after an old firm game!

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Jimmy Duncan and his family all jambos , used to live next to them in gorebridge years ago

Not sure if it's the same person because i can't mind the name but years ago an ex ref use to stay on Barleyknowe Rd, end house next to the grass field. Spoke to him lots in my younger days, just can't mind his name. Can't be that many refs to live in gorebridge.

Charlie Richmond hated this subject being raised as he was an Auchinleck Talbot fan. He hated being associated with supporting either of the Old Firm.

He did have a soft spot for Killie. 

Overall though the guy loves football passionately and doesn't need any invitation to talk about his experiences.

Shite ref though.

11 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Dunno about Madden.

Clancy is a red hot tim.

Having trained with the refs when they were at peffermill I can confirm that Clancy is Rangers and Willie Collum “hates every team equally” also calumn Doyle I know is H1b5 daft like his dad mark, greig Haynes is also H1b5 as are most of the EDRA, quite frightening really for the future 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Having trained with the refs when they were at peffermill I can confirm that Clancy is Rangers and Willie Collum “hates every team equally” also calumn Doyle I know is H1b5 daft like his dad mark, greig Haynes is also H1b5 as are most of the EDRA, quite frightening really for the future 👍🏻

Good pitches at peffermill played down there for my work.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Jimmy Duncan and his family all jambos , used to live next to them in gorebridge years ago

Jimmy Duncan was very unfortunate to be the referee of a particularly nasty and eventful Old Firm game, when all hell broke loose. His referee career was pretty much knackered after it.

For me the biggest issue about referees isn't so much who they support, but where they live. The current location of most, so called top, referees must expose them and their families to all sorts of threats and intimidation from morons of the ugly sisters. It can't be easy to ignore or put up with that. All fuelled by the evil of religious sectarianism which has strangled Scottish football. The easy way out of any confrontation is obvious.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Good pitches at peffermill played down there for my work.

Refereed my last game there by the wee tunnel. Like you say great pitches and if you get a big crowd at that pitch it’s loud!

1 minute ago, ShedBoy said:

Refereed my last game there by the wee tunnel. Like you say great pitches and if you get a big crowd at that pitch it’s loud!

Aye.

ginger jambo98

Back in the late 79s, early 80s, Dougie Downie reffed and he was a PHM like all his family. Bill Crombie was a ref as well from a Hearts background although that backfired on us when he famously didn't give us a blatant penalty early in a certain game in 1986.

3 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Back in the late 79s, early 80s, Dougie Downie reffed and he was a PHM like all his family. Bill Crombie was a ref as well from a Hearts background although that backfired on us when he famously didn't give us a blatant penalty early in a certain game in 1986.

Aye mind o him, stone waller as well, 

I know a linesman who was/still is? a massive Jambo, it was him and his Dad that got me hooked on Hearts in the early 80's, me coming from a family of Tims, thanks god for that, I owe them a lot. Hes done a few of our games and one massive game which i was very surprised with, asked him about if they have to say who they support and wouldn't give a straight answer. 😀