Wiess - I think this is the guy thats getting the job

vegas-voss

If you look at everything that has been in the press or on this site today i think everything points more to this guy than anyone else.His club have admitted to being in talks where the guy Thors club have rubbished claims of him being manager.

rudi must stay
If you look at everything that has been in the press or on this site today i think everything points more to this guy than anyone else.His club have admitted to being in talks where the guy Thors club have rubbished claims of him being manager.

aye and more importantly he wants the job

aye and more importantly he wants the job

I think it's just arranging compo with his club by the way his club seem to be talking.

He speaks little English though, unlike Thor, so I wonder if Butcher was actually being lined up as his number 2? (coach that is - not jobby).

Rudolf's Mate

I guess it would be better than no manager at all however not happy if it is the case!

He plays football the right way.

Watched Artmedia a wee bit (ok about 6 matches) but their style of football was pleasing on the eye.

He might unearch some Slovienan (sp) gems as opposed to Lithuanian turds. :) aka

He speaks Russian and does not speak English, what a great appointment. Its just another Angel situation!

This appointment would be a disaster.

C'mon DH - Hop aboard the Weiss rollercoaster. There's plenty of room.

Didn't say it would be good just my feeling after reading everything today that he looks the favourite.

Marooned4ever

So what happened to "...a manager with experience of british football". Maybe he subscribes to Setanta and that's all the qualification Vlad desires.

rudi must stay
Didn't say it would be good just my feeling after reading everything today that he looks the favourite.

unless Thordasson club are talking crap

So what happened to "...a manager with experience of british football". Maybe he subscribes to Setanta and that's all the qualification Vlad desires.

He beat Celtic 5-0 although someone should tell Vlad they lost the 2nd game 4-0.Still knocked them out though

Ps i want Thor.

Rudolf's Mate

But that would be a lesson in English & Irish footbal ;)

I'd rather have Weiss, managed this on a budget of ?1m:

2005-06 European campaign

They famously reached the lucrative group stages of the UEFA Champions League in 2005-06 after wins over Kairat Almaty, Celtic and Partizan Belgrade. They beat Almaty 4-3 on aggregate in the 1st qualifying round despite a 2-0 defeat in the first leg. However it was on 27 July 2005 that they made their mark on the tournament, producing one of the shock results of Champions League history as they beat 2003 UEFA Cup finalists and 1967 European Cup winners Celtic 5-0 in the first leg of their Champions League 2nd qualifying round match. The stunned Celtic side could not quite recover, only managing to win the return leg 4-0, and Artmedia held on to progress in the tournament. On 23 August 2005 they clinched a place in the group stages after overcoming Serbian power Partizan Belgrade 4-3 on penalties after a 0-0 aggregate scoreline thus becoming the second Slovak club after 1. FC Ko?ice 1997-98 to reach the coveted Champions League proper. Their success was even more remarkable considering Artmedia's entire annual budget is just over ?1m.

Artmedia also made history by becoming one of the first two clubs ever to advance from the first qualifying round into the Champions League group stage. The other club to do so was 2004-05 winners Liverpool, who were given a special entry into the first qualifying round of the 2005-06 event, and joined Artmedia in the group stage.

Fan's cap of Artmedia Petr?alka

Fan's cap of Artmedia Petr?alka

Artmedia played their Champions League fixtures at the Teheln? pole ground of crosstown rivals Slovan Bratislava because their own ground does not meet UEFA standards for Champions League play.

On 28 September 2005, Artmedia made history once again by becoming the first Slovak side to collect a point in the Champions League group stage (in the eighth attempt by a Slovak side to do so). In another famous upset, they came back from a 2-0 first-half deficit to defeat 2004 Champions League winners Porto 3-2 at Porto's home ground.

Eventually, they finished third in the group, parachuting them into the UEFA Cup, but not before missing a late chance to score a goal in the return fixture against Porto that would have sent them to the round of 16 at Rangers' expense.

Drylaw Hearts
He plays football the right way.

Watched Artmedia a wee bit (ok about 6 matches) but their style of football was pleasing on the eye.

He might unearch some Slovienan (sp) gems as opposed to Lithuanian turds. :) aka

Lithuania are currently 3 places ahead of Slovakia in the FIFA rankings.

;)

jamboinglasgow
He beat Celtic 5-0 although someone should tell Vlad they lost the 2nd game 4-0.Still knocked them out though

think the 4-0 was due to celtic fans feeling really embarressed and playing their socks of, they dont often do that.

Guest JamboRobbo
think the 4-0 was due to celtic fans feeling really embarressed and playing their socks of, they dont often do that.

I find this hard to believe. I've rarely known a Celtic (or Rangers) fan who even has socks. Sock maybe, but not socks.

rudi must stay
Lithuania are currently 3 places ahead of Slovakia in the FIFA rankings.

;)

and Scotland are 3 places below Potugal :P, those rankings are daft

Weiss would be the best appointment of the three but quite some distance.

I'm not so sure I want our next manager to have experience of British football if it is particularly unspectacular stints in charge of the likes of Stoke City (when they were mince) and Notts County (still mince).

I also think Butcher is a decent coach - maybe not a great manager though.

I can see why Vlad would insist on his appointment as his No2 - English speaking, lengthy experience of Scottish football, well respected in the game.

I'd be happier with Weiss/Butcher than Jefferies/Brown.

(tin hat is on!)

Drylaw Hearts
C'mon DH - Hop aboard the Weiss rollercoaster. There's plenty of room.

There will always be plenty of room on that particular rollercoaster.

hearts_crazy

You know i'm actualy past caring who the next Manager is as long as he knows how to get the best out of players I couldn't give a flying ****.

As long as there is a guy sitting in the dugout wearing a tracksuit and shouting and swearing at the players when they are not trying or geeing them up when they are. A man who is capable of changing things when the game is going against us, who will make substitutions to suit the circumstances not just to swap like for like and hope for the best. A man who can see where we are failing and get the message onto the pitch to sort it out or who can see where we are doing well and not change that. A man who will tear our players a new ersehole if they lose through not trying or making stupid schoolboy errors, or getting themselves sent of needlessly. A man who will get amongst the players at training and get them all fired up for the next match. A man who will (assuming Vlad allows it) pick a team on actual ability and form in the league, not just based upon the fact that one of their passes went to the right player in training the other day there (or whatever it was that inspired frail to pick Elliot week in week out)

In short someone who is the polar opposite of Steven Frail.

What I DON'T want is some faceless nobody who has been sent to Tynecastle as an alternative to the salt mines, who just sits there, (in the stand mind, not the dugout) doing feck all while all around him is falling to bits.

As long as our new Manager is a proper fecking Manager and not just some feckwit who got the job because he bought Vlad a pint in the pub once that's OK with me. He doesn't even have to be British, he could be from Mars for all I care as long as he is, as I say a proper, fricking Manager.

One thing is for sure though, we NEED to get him in before pre season training starts.

I don't think that is a lot to ask for do you?

Charlie-Brown
I find this hard to believe. I've rarely known a Celtic (or Rangers) fan who even has socks. Sock maybe, but not socks.

No socks JR just a bunch of toe-rags! :)

Artmedia success confounds Weiss

Wednesday 21 May 2008

FC Artmedia Petr?alka were not destined for the Slovakian domestic double. That was the view of coach Vladim?r Weiss ? who was more than happy to eat his words after they clinched the league title with a game to spare to add to their Slovakian Cup triumph a fortnight ago.

Weiss return

A 5-4 win at FC Senec combined with M?K ?ilina's 3-1 defeat by FC Spartak Trnava ensured Artmedia ended their challengers' reign as champions. It confirmed the magic touch of Weiss, who led Artmedia to their only previous title in 2004/05 and then masterminded a memorable run past Celtic FC and ** Partizan and into the UEFA Champions League group stage, before leaving for a spell in Russia with FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast.

Historic achievement

Reappointed at Artmedia last summer, he said: "I thought one trophy would go to ?ilina and the other one to us. I was mistaken. We won both titles, cup and league, and have to be happy about it. It's our first, a historic double. ?ilina are also a good club, but we played more consistently." The 43-year-old was part of Czechoslovakia's last FIFA World Cup finals squad in 1990, and was delighted to confound the old axiom that coaches should never return to the scene of a previous success. "A second title is usually harder to obtain, because it's difficult to repeat something, but we did it," Weiss said.

Unbeaten run

Artmedia had trailed ?ilina at the halfway point of the season but have been unbeaten after the winter break, winning eleven and drawing two of their 13 matches. That earned a UEFA Champions League first qualifying round slot for next season, with ?ilina and cup runners-up Trnava in the UEFA Cup. Captain J?n Koz?k, whose last-minute penalty decided the game against Senec, said: "Yes, in the first part of the competition ?ilina were top but the gap between us was never large. We believed in ourselves and when we won 1-0 at ?ilina [on 5 April] everything went right for us. It was a key victory. We moved top and stayed there. Victory in Senec was our last step, now we are ready to celebrate."

'Fantastic feeling'

It was an odd day for Ľubo? Kamen?r, admitting that it was probably his most profligate day as a professional goalkeeper even as he was celebrating a first career title. "I am just 20," he said. "Being a No1 for such a club as Artmedia is a fantastic feeling. Being part of title celebrations is amazing too. Although I don't remember when I last conceded four goals in one match."

jamboinglasgow

playing the mud off their feet.

He speaks Russian and does not speak English, what a great appointment. Its just another Angel situation!

A lot would depend on whether he had an assistant with experience of British football. As an example (only an example) he could be joined by Paul Ashworth who has some experience in British football and also speaks Russian.

Weiss does seem to have a decent record and is relatively young.

All 3 are solid if unspectacular people

Thor - got some experience of the british game and relativly experienced/sucessful

Wiess - Experienced and has been at a club of a similar stature to hearts and done well

Butcher - excellent at well hasnt done so well since

The main thing is that all 3 are given 100% control of the team and 100% control of transfer targets - within a budget

Given I cant see either happening then I would say its irrelevent who we go for

I would rather see 1 of the above as opposed to frail or anatoly but I have no confidence they will be a manager, more just a yes man

All 3 are solid if unspectacular people

Thor - got some experience of the british game and relativly experienced/sucessful

Wiess - Experienced and has been at a club of a similar stature to hearts and done well

Butcher - excellent at well hasnt done so well since

The main thing is that all 3 are given 100% control of the team and 100% control of transfer targets - within a budget

Given I cant see either happening then I would say its irrelevent who we go for

I would rather see 1 of the above as opposed to frail or anatoly but I have no confidence they will be a manager, more just a yes man

Butcher doesnt seem to be in the managerial frame, more the assistant one.

The third name is Zyggy. Or somthing.

Guest JamboRobbo
A lot would depend on whether he had an assistant with experience of British football. As an example (only an example) he could be joined by Paul Ashworth who has some experience in British football and also speaks Russian.

Weiss does seem to have a decent record and is relatively young.

I'd agree Weiss record is decent. My worry would be his lack of british, and more specifically SPL football. For that reason, I think it'd be a massive gamble.

There aren't many managers who have come to Scotland from abroad and managed to be successful. And thats not necessarily cause they were bad managers.

I'd be more comfortable if we had someone like Butcher involved too, but if we really want things to pick up in the short term, we'd be better with someone who has direct SPL experience IMO.

I'd agree Weiss record is decent. My worry would be his lack of british, and more specifically SPL football. For that reason, I think it'd be a massive gamble.

There aren't many managers who have come to Scotland from abroad and managed to be successful. And thats not necessarily cause they were bad managers.

I'd be more comfortable if we had someone like Butcher involved too, but if we really want things to pick up in the short term, we'd be better with someone who has direct SPL experience IMO.

Yeah, I agree. Great record but lack of English would be a hindrance. Weiss & Butcher could work (mind you - he knew enough about Scottish football to hump the JJs)

CornhillHearts

Some folk should disregard what they read in the papers, better deal would be to read what Prancer writes of his own accord and think the opposite.

Question - why would Wiess be a disaster?

The only reason I can think people would come to that conclusion is because he is eastern european and that's unfair.

Don't tar this man with the same brush as Valdas/Ange/Korawhatshisspuss. If Hearts are looking at him, it is not because he is from mad Vlad's pyramid, but because he has done a good job at a club mad Vlad has nowt to do with.

Artmedia played their Champions League fixtures at the Teheln? pole ground of crosstown rivals Slovan Bratislava because their own ground does not meet UEFA standards for Champions League play.

Has someone invented a new sport? I have this vision of a pitch covered with lassies pole dancing. Should be in the Olympics if you ask me.

Thig Ar Latha

Of that three I think Wiess would be the best choice with a fairly good CV. He is at a good age for a Manager and is ambitious. At 43 he still has his best Managerial years in front of him and he seems ambitious.

Although unproven in Scottish Football, I think he could be worth a go and be our best bet since Burley. Although Slovakia are not a great power in Europe they were, until fairly recently playing there football with the Czechs, (who have been doing well) so there is a good football heritage there.

The Icelandic man seems to have done well, initially at least in Iceland, but does'nt seem to keep it going when he was with some smaller English Teams, although as number two could well step in to take charge.

As for the other man mentioned, I don't know, just hope it does'nt happen as I don't think he was popular in his last job.

Hans von Luck
Butcher doesnt seem to be in the managerial frame, more the assistant one.

The third name is Zyggy. Or somthing.

Was he not in BB a few years ago :P

Arranging a group predominantly of fellow countrymen to perform well in their home league is completely different from arranging a group of players, only one young player of whom is a fellow countryman, in a foreign league he has no experience of, in a foreign language he barely has any grip of.

So at 43 and Slovakian, with no experience in western Europe he fits none of the briefs of the selection process.

But he beat Celtic 5-0 so bring him in......

NoseLikeMahe

Weiss would be no better appointment than Valdas or Malofeev... He's won trophies in a league that makes the SPL look like La Liga. He couldn't communicate properly with the English-speaking players (on the assumption there actually are any) and would, from day one, be assumed by media and many fans to be just another eastern European yes man... rightly or wrongly. It would do nothing to solve the problems that have existed IMO.

Yes, he managed a team that beat Celtic 5-0. I remember watching that game... Every time they tried to trap the ball it flew in the top C... Every team has days like that from time to time, it wasn't tactical genius.

Guest JamboRobbo

Reason 1: Cause we need sweeping changes to sort out the mess we are in, and he has no experience at all of what is required in the SPL?

Do you need me to continue after that?

Thig Ar Latha

The only reason I can think people would come to that conclusion is because he is eastern european and that's unfair.

Central European, not East. ;)

Drylaw Hearts

Don't tar this man with the same brush as Valdas/Ange/Korawhatshisspuss. If Hearts are looking at him, it is not because he is from mad Vlad's pyramid, but because he has done a good job at a club mad Vlad has nowt to do with.

Weiss managed at FC Saturn last year.

They are in the Lithuanian League and are currently Managed by a couple of old friends of ours :

Malofeev and Cerenkov.

There is a link there make no mistake about it.

I dont think this guy wil get a fair crack from the fans tbh. There is a tedious link there as DH has pointed out.

Although with the correct appointment as assistant, ie someone like Butcher, then he could do a job.

We're never going to get a Mourinho.

The language barrier doesnt mean much, as long as he is commited to learning a decent level fairly quickly

The icelandic and slovakian boys seem ok (ish) to me, the belarussian can feck right off.

Personally I would be happy with either, especially if butcher was to be number 2 and an independent translator - not one of vlads inner circle - came in to assist til enough english is known

As previously said though it all depends on the level of control, they must have 100%

The language barrier doesnt mean much, as long as he is commited to learning a decent level fairly quickly

The icelandic and slovakian boys seem ok (ish) to me, the belarussian can feck right off.

Personally I would be happy with either, especially if butcher was to be number 2 and an independent translator - not one of vlads inner circle - came in to assist til enough english is known

As previously said though it all depends on the level of control, they must have 100%

Sounds about right to me.

He has time to learn the lingo before August, and is still young enough to do it.

Weiss managed at FC Saturn last year.

They are in the Lithuanian League and are currently Managed by a couple of old friends of ours :

Malofeev and Cerenkov.

There is a link there make no mistake about it.

Yep - whilst Vlad only officially owns Kaunas, does he not have a material influence over around 3 other Lithuanian teams. Players loaned out to them etc

What were FC Saturns results like? Were they tanning anyone 5-0 in Europe with him in charge?

Weiss would be no better appointment than Valdas or Malofeev... He's won trophies in a league that makes the SPL look like La Liga

Had Valdas or Malofeev won trophies before coming to Hearts?

His 'low budget' team also made a good showing of themselves against other opposition (notably Porto) and qualified for the UEFA cup from their CL group, knocking Porto out of Europe in the process.

Quim Jansen had no British experience before coming to Celtic but was able to do OK. I think he deserves a chance.

If Weiss said he had 100% full control would you believe him in the same way as you would if McGhee had joined and said he had 100% control?

If Vlad said Weiss had 100% control would you believe it?

Yep - whilst Vlad only officially owns Kaunas, does he not have a material influence over around 3 other Lithuanian teams. Players loaned out to them etc

What were FC Saturns results like? Were they tanning anyone 5-0 in Europe with him in charge?

I didn't think VR owned Kaunus, merely Ukio Bankas gives them flippin great wodges of cash.

Archived