Tom English

sam?

tartofmidlothian

He was at one time, a regular contributor on here, quite a good and supportive one at that, until he dirtied himself with the xenophobic attack on Miko.

Really? Feck me.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom English previously had a problem with Hearts as a club, and our support as a general 'whole'.

Anyone who thinks that the zombie article was nothing more than a passing minor criticism of someone who tried to get to Ratboy and a few union jack wearers is kidding themselves.

Quite happy to concede that perhaps he's moved on from that, and its probably perfectly reasonable to suggest that he no longer shares those views.

BUT....... not sharing them now doesn't erase them from history.

I've no issues with what he's coming out with at the moment, but i'll not be joining the love in either - and I certainly wont ever refer to him as a PHM, or a hearts man of any kind, proper, improper or otherwise.

BBC Scotland actually does pretty well in covering Scottish football as a whole (the radio anyway). They have a pretty broad spectrum of views expressed and often dedicate large chunks of their shows to non-Old Firm sides. They've certainly spent a lot of time covering us in the last few seasons. Hibs too. I've listened to extensive discussions of goings on at Falkirk, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, ICT, Aberdeen... Pretty much everyone.

Their main anchor is a well-known Aberdeen fan. Their main lead-in show is presented by supporters of St Johnstone and Motherwell, one of whom regularly rips right in to the new Rangers live on air. They have a broad range of pundits for live matches including ex-players from all kinds of clubs.

Of course Rangers and Celtic get a lot of coverage. They're the two best-supported clubs in the country. But I think Sportsound does a decent job of covering the game as a whole and generally discussing what's going on in Scottish football, whatever clubs are involved.

It gets a lot of unfair criticism. Some of their employees are rubbish, of course, but in general I think Sportsound does a decent job. I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

I hear what you are saying and those are all good points about the coverage offered. However, I still do not trust BBC Scotland not to seek to protect the established powers in Scottish football. The agenda peddled by the anchor and guests on Sportsound last night and recently has been tabloid-esque. There patently needs to be a credible, neutral alternative whose remit isn't to portray the biggest two clubs as the most important two clubs. Just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, just the way I see it at present. I do appreciate there is a lot of good neutral coverage, but the point is, the bias is endemic across the board in Scottish football, stemming from the size of the two main clubs. 

Where you get this idea that he was only targeting the bigots in the Shaun of the Dead article is bizarre. Lick his arse if you want because he's writing nice things now. He's a hack and worthy of contempt.

It must be mental forming opinions of people and never ever changing them Geoff. A real challenge. Let's hope one of your kids never piss you off or that'll be their cards marked forever eh!

People change, views change, the one single constant in life is change. If you want to deride TE for an article that he wrote years ago, even though he's done more than enough favourable pieces on us since, then that's your call.

St Mirren however, will always be ***** :-)

Like others, especially the sheep but also some on here, his hatred for sevco has pushed him into that dark corner of admiring celtic.

I have to say, there isn't a ball hair between the respective levels of dislike I have for Celtic or Rangers (or so-called Sevco). 

I am not being defensive. I dislike Tom English because of what he wrote about Hearts supporters, it wasn't just about the loyalist element, it was about Hearts supporters as a group. To say that some people dislike him due to him criticising the loyalist element of our support is just completely untrue and a lazy put down.

Now perhaps I've completely forgotten, but I can't recall TE calling us bigots. There's no doubt in my mind that the piece he wrote re 'zombies' was slating our entire support, not just the tiny bigoted element of it.

Still, as I say, he's more than atoned for it since. I'm willing to cut him some slack. Others might not be willing to do that, but if they are willing to slate him for doing something wrong, why the reluctance to praise him for doing something right?

Opinions eh!

Tom English previously had a problem with Hearts as a club, and our support as a general 'whole'.

Anyone who thinks that the zombie article was nothing more than a passing minor criticism of someone who tried to get to Ratboy and a few union jack wearers is kidding themselves.

Quite happy to concede that perhaps he's moved on from that, and its probably perfectly reasonable to suggest that he no longer shares those views.

BUT....... not sharing them now doesn't erase them from history.

I've no issues with what he's coming out with at the moment, but i'll not be joining the love in either - and I certainly wont ever refer to him as a PHM, or a hearts man of any kind, proper, improper or otherwise.

Probably the most salient post on this thread. Agree 100%

Not sure if sportsound is on iplayer, but could be worth looking there

There is a daily podcast you can download mate.

Should be available later tonight though I am not sure of the content given that the Mhanks are playing tonight.

Sorry It took so long but this place is not letting me post a lot of the times.

Thanks very much for that, I have found it and am listening to it now. :2thumbsup: 

Now perhaps I've completely forgotten, but I can't recall TE calling us bigots. There's no doubt in my mind that the piece he wrote re 'zombies' was slating our entire support, not just the tiny bigoted element of it.

Still, as I say, he's more than atoned for it since. I'm willing to cut him some slack. Others might not be willing to do that, but if they are willing to slate him for doing something wrong, why the reluctance to praise him for doing something right?

Opinions eh!

That was precisely my point. Earlier in the thread someone claimed that a couple of posters disliked him because he slated the loyalist element of our support. That is complete nonsense.

I am able to say when he does something right, I just refuse to join in with the love-in and hero worship.

That was precisely my point. Earlier in the thread someone claimed that a couple of posters disliked him because he slated the loyalist element of our support. That is complete nonsense.

I am able to say when he does something right, I just refuse to join in with the love-in and hero worship.

Aye man, I saw that. I knew where you were coming from. And I agree on your last para too. Call him out for being a dick when he is, yet give him a bit praise when he's fighting our corner. No more, no less.

August Landmesser

It must be mental forming opinions of people and never ever changing them Geoff. A real challenge. Let's hope one of your kids never piss you off or that'll be their cards marked forever eh!

People change, views change, the one single constant in life is change. If you want to deride TE for an article that he wrote years ago, even though he's done more than enough favourable pieces on us since, then that's your call.

St Mirren however, will always be ***** :-)

:2thumbsup:

Love in? Hero worship? Always with the extremes you!

Aye man, I saw that. I knew where you were coming from. And I agree on your last para too. Call him out for being a dick when he is, yet give him a bit praise when he's fighting our corner. No more, no less.

agree with that, just that for a few years now I have agreed with practically everything I have heard/read from him. He speaks a lot of sense about our football and for someone whose main sport is rugby, that says a huge amount about our normal 'football experts??'

Hackney Hearts

There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 15:7

Geoff Kilpatrick

Opinions eh!

Leave my kids out of this please. Simple question: Did English withdraw anything from that article or apologise for it? If not, why not given it was bollocks?

I've no problem agreeing with stuff he's currently espousing but until such times that he reflects on the zombie chat, he'll remain contemptible.

PS I changed my opinion on Gordon post Miko. I used to enjoy his presenting up till then.

PPS Imagine disliking someone for wrongly having a crack at Hearts?

Geoff Kilpatrick

agree with that, just that for a few years now I have agreed with practically everything I have heard/read from him. He speaks a lot of sense about our football and for someone whose main sport is rugby, that says a huge amount about our normal 'football experts??'

Do you want to withdraw your claim about the bigots now?

Big Slim Stylee

No, no he didn't. He had a crack at the whole support.

No he didn't.  He only called a third of our support like extras out of Shaun of the Dead.

J Cheever Loophole

Kris Boyd on Sportsound soon to reply to English.

Should be fun.

I hope he doesn't talk with his mouth full.

Leave my kids out of this please. Simple question: Did English withdraw anything from that article or apologise for it? If not, why not given it was bollocks?

I've no problem agreeing with stuff he's currently espousing but until such times that he reflects on the zombie chat, he'll remain contemptible.

PS I changed my opinion on Gordon post Miko. I used to enjoy his presenting up till then.

PPS Imagine disliking someone for wrongly having a crack at Hearts?

Aye ok Geoff ffs

Big Slim Stylee

Kris Boyd on Sportsound soon to reply to English.

Should be fun.

Oh good :)  Updates if you can....

Geoff Kilpatrick

No he didn't. He only called a third of our support like extras out of Shaun of the Dead.

Who was in that third?

Big Slim Stylee

Who was in that third?

Tough one - don't think he ever printed names and seat nos.  Lazy journalism, if you ask me.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tough one - don't think he ever printed names and seat nos. Lazy journalism, if you ask me.

He didn't need to. It was a proxy for our home fans in the round.

Do you want to withdraw your claim about the bigots now?

no, no idea why my last post would lead you to think that

Geoff Kilpatrick

no, no idea why my last post would lead you to think that

Perhaps I thought you would take a leaf out of Burren's book and admit your inaccuracy. Guess not as it was more important to infer something about Bowman's Boot, obviously.

J Cheever Loophole

Boydie has just burst through the ceiling of arseholery.

****ing , hope he chokes on his next fistfull of Monster Munch. (Rost Bif) if he has any hint of class mind you.

alwaysthereinspirit

Do you know if we still have a loyalist element in our support?

Boydie has just burst through the ceiling of arseholery.

******* ######, hope he chokes on his next fistfull of Monster Munch. (Rost Bif) if he has any hint of class mind you.

I actually bought a multi pack of Monster Munch today. Subliminal advertising through JKB could catch on.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is it a third of our support?

Well that was embarrassing for Boyd. He should shut up now.

The main point was glossed over when Boyd talked about people running down from the stand with notes from CL to Robbie and he "better sharpen his pencil " any detailed examination of that statement would have opened a huge can of worms which would have left Boyd appearing more stupid than he is.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Do Kilmarnock fans ever get annoyed at Boyd for being a blatant Rangers man whilst being employed by them?

J Cheever Loophole

I actually bought a multi pack of Monster Munch today. Subliminal advertising through JKB could catch on.

Boydy "Mmmm.. Monster Munch, cannie get enough"

Team mate " C'mon tae **** Kriss, get back, yer the defensive wa' ffs" 

Geoff Kilpatrick

The question should be "was it" surely?

More pertinently, "was it" when English spewed that rubbish?

Do Kilmarnock fans ever get annoyed at Boyd for being a blatant Rangers man whilst being employed by them?

I work with a Killie fan and it boils his piss.  Whether that's reflected throughout their fanbase I know not.

Boydy "Mmmm.. Monster Munch, cannie get enough"

Team mate " C'mon tae **** Kriss, get back, yer the defensive wa' ffs"

:D

Far less than before but yes, there is an element of this, albeit I think it diminishes as the years go by.

Have to say I dont really get the link to this thread, though.

i wish jj was my dad

Boyd's 'career' in the media should have ended tonight. His voice, his language and his lack of knowledge should disqualify him from ever appearing outside Ipox for the rest of his days.

My only regret was he wasn't called out for the pish about Levein's scraps of paper.

Archived