"Ambition and clowns drove Robbie south"

redm

kingantti1874

Hearts are an entertaining team. People should be less selective about some of the poorest performances. We have scored quite a few goals this season

I think we were entertaining year one, frustrating year 2, this season - all too often we've not been in the least bit entertaining.. we have opened up the last 3/4 games.. however the start of the season was very poor

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't blame anyone at Tynecastle for not talking to this biased anti-Hearts employee of The Scotsman Publications. Now in my 64th year my family bought the Evening News every 6 days a week until 3 years ago when i couldn't stand the bias shown towards Hibs. You'd think Hearts were a junior side the way we were ignored by the News pro Hibs agenda. Never will any of my family buy this rag again.

IF RN's decision to go down south was impacted by views of some fans it is pretty clear he is not the correct person to manage ANY big club.

As a manager you need a thick skin.... RN has been treated very gently by the fans.... who quite rightly expect and demand better performances on the pitch.

Not read but I can guarantee it's an 'article' that wouldn't look out of place in a Hibernian fanzine, perfect for the EEN.

Boy's a ****ing slaver. He was on Off The Ball the other week and he came across as a right sanctimonious wee scrotum.

Interesting read from Aidan Smith today [emoji51]

Might be the first time I've ever broadly agreed with him too.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/aidan-smith-ambition-and-clowns-drove-robbie-neilson-south-1-4307988

That article is spot on although there will be many on this forum with steam coming out of their ears.

I don't think its a case of Robbie being sensitive to criticism its more a case of he felt he couldn't win no matter what he did.

That article is spot on although there will be many on this forum with steam coming out of their ears.

I don't think its a case of Robbie being sensitive to criticism its more a case of he felt he couldn't win no matter what he did.

Then going to England, where it is more cut throat, more pressurised, and less patient is a big mistake.

Whilst Smith is a complete fud, it's hard to disagree

There will be supporters of most other club in Scotland, Hibs and Rangers particularly, will be shaking their heads in dismay at some of the stuff Neilson was subjected to by an element of our support.

Quite what more he could've done in 30 months I'm not sure. Some if the performances were poor, but anyone who's watched Hearts for longer than the Romanov era (those who haven't perhaps are the most audible critics) know this isn't something new.

Celebrating the Championship title after the Rangers game 18 months ago brought an I'll judged sense of entitlement to some Hearts fans who've clearly not tempered that euphoria with a quick review of our tangible success since our inception

I suspect the capitulation against Hibs in the Scottish Cup was a bridge too far for many

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

IF RN's decision to go down south was impacted by views of some fans it is pretty clear he is not the correct person to manage ANY big club.

As a manager you need a thick skin.... RN has been treated very gently by the fans.... who quite rightly expect and demand better performances on the pitch.

There's a big dif... ah feck you're absolutely right.

You can say that again. It could have been very different if the naughty boys had got their way.

8-pilots-dropping-bombs-by-hand.jpg?w=64

Neilson obviously believes in his ability to go down there and climb the managerial ladder. Nothing wrong with ambition and realistically he was only going to stagnate here I felt. He was great for us obviously in the championship year but there was no improvement in away form whatsoever up until he left. That really bugged me as although all games are tough we seriously underperformed in away games under him to the point it felt a waste of money and time going away to follow them.

I sincerely wish him all the best but I do agree with this article. He had lost a section of the support no doubt and I believe it played a part in his decision along with his ambition to manage down south. Strange place to go though

Does it mention NYD 1973 per chance?

It does

Definitely an Aiden Smith article then.

Aiden Smith is a ******* arsehole.

Indeed. A semi-literate Hibs nobody. But useful for propping up creaking agendas on JKB, it would seem. I'll bet he's laughing his ****** off about getting a few dafties to take his bait.

Fair enough to be honest. The plane eejits and the others who have been having a go at Robbie most of this year - the ones who have been having a sustained go - embarrassed themselves. Journos shouldn't be using forums as a guage of fan opinion but they do, so it's made its way into the papers and is pretty embarrassing when you look at Robbie's record.

You only have to look at Liverpool's result today. Robbie didn't have a result as bad as that in his entire time at Hearts. Image if he's lost at home to Hamilton after being 2 goals ahead with 20 mins to go! Provides some perspective.

Be nice if a section of our support would get off the players' and coaches' backs whenever something doesn't go exactly the way they want it to. These fans are the only negative about Hearts right now - all they have to do is wind their necks in and focus on backing the club. We're much more likely to get some success that way.

MacDonald Jardine

Fair enough to be honest. The plane eejits and the others who have been having a go at Robbie most of this year - the ones who have been having a sustained go - embarrassed themselves. Journos shouldn't be using forums as a guage of fan opinion but they do, so it's made its way into the papers and is pretty embarrassing when you look at Robbie's record.

The other point is that journalists in the main don't care who wins trophies.

If you're not a Hearts fan, or judging by this forum even if you are in some cases, it's impossible to understand how frustrating last season's cup defeat, and the ultimate outcome, was.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The other point is that journalists in the main don't care who wins trophies.

If you're not a Hearts fan, or judging by this forum even if you are in some cases, it's impossible to understand how frustrating last season's cup defeat, and the ultimate outcome, was.

Judging a coach on one result is infantile.

:laugh: I just got the mental image of the big yellow clown bus that's driving him down the road

4270022871_4f104e77ee_b.jpg

Godspeed Robbie. Godspeed.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Haven't read the article as it will no doubt be the usual self indulgent drivel from the author.

Looking at the headline, why is it ok for Neilson to have ambition but not Hearts fans.

This mentality that 2nd in the league is as good as it gets is a major problem in Scottish football.

HMFC have been doing things differently since coming out of admin. Hopefully Cathro (if it is him)is another successful step on this journey.

2nd best should never be the height of our ambition

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Indeed. A semi-literate Hibs nobody. But useful for propping up creaking agendas on JKB, it would seem. I'll bet he's laughing his ****** off about getting a few dafties to take his bait.

You swung for the baseball and smashed your face on the podium. Well done.

As a journalist to be taken seriously Smith is up with Chick Young. Except ones got an East Mains sized chip on his shoulder about Hearts.

As for the article, Robbies ambitious. No shit Sherlock. Was it not just before his contract was extended that Ann Budge was telling us that clubs would be looking at our manager. It was always part of their thinking, and Smiths just repeating that.

The clowns? Aye well, I still can't believe a plane was hired either, but it was. I get all that about the football being hard to watch, it was last season and still has been sometimes this season. As for not winning at St Johnstone and Ross County, I dont remember too many times recently where that was a given anyway.

In other words Smiths added the square root of diddley squat to our knowledge but he's fulfilled his contractual obligation to provide an article for JP? So the guy who's articles are usually more appropriate for a Hibs fanzine gets the job done!

Stephane Grappelli

Had to stop reading after a couple of paragraphs. His writing style is a horrendous cringe-fest.

This.

queensferryjambo

It is possible that Smith is a slavering Hibs ___t and also that his piece is more or less accurate.

His article would have been bang on if he had just stuck to Neilson and his time at Hearts. Even mention of the Hibs cup games would have been on topic and relevant.

Unfortunately the article was more about Hibs and Aidan Smith than Neilson.

I was actually given " Heartfelt " by Aiden Smith as a present and managed to get to the end of the book...but it was hard going.

I haven't read the article as I don't think i'd get through it !

It really was an awful book. 

I was actually given " Heartfelt " by Aiden Smith as a present and managed to get to the end of the book...but it was hard going.

I haven't read the article as I don't think i'd get through it !

It really was an awful book.

My non-football supporting mate gave me it for Christmas a few years ago. I also read it. It was akin to the autobiographical works of Yoshi from Super Mario World.

My non-football supporting mate gave me it for Christmas a few years ago. I also read it. It was akin to the autobiographical works of Yoshi from Super Mario World.

Mine was from a family member with Hibs tendencies, i'm sure it was malicious...especially if he had read it first !

Mine was from a family member with Hibs tendencies, i'm sure it was malicious...especially if he had read it first !

Don't think it had many pictures Robert. Probably safe to assume he didn't read it first.

Christmas came early for Aiden Smith with Robbie choosing last week to leave. Opportunity to pen a dig at Hearts fans rather than write about his own team throwing away an 8 point lead in about 6 weeks!!!

MacDonald Jardine

If you want to be pedantic it was two results.

And I was commenting on the suggestion in the article that the criticism was unjustified.

Like it or not, and you clearly don't, being outplayed by a lower league Hibs team over two games (and not for the first time) isn't acceptable.

Haven't read the article as it will no doubt be the usual self indulgent drivel from the author.

Looking at the headline, why is it ok for Neilson to have ambition but not Hearts fans.

This mentality that 2nd in the league is as good as it gets is a major problem in Scottish football.

HMFC have been doing things differently since coming out of admin. Hopefully Cathro (if it is him)is another successful step on this journey.

2nd best should never be the height of our ambition

Great post.

Levein has mentioned about the need to bring people in who don't have a ceiling on their ambitions, something that is very rare in Scottish football. The media can't understand why fans are unhappy as they think we should remember our place, and that place, in their minds, is behind the Old Firm. How dare we want to upset the status quo.

Great post.

Levein has mentioned about the need to bring people in who don't have a ceiling on their ambitions, something that is very rare in Scottish football. The media can't understand why fans are unhappy as they think we should remember our place, and that place, in their minds, is behind the Old Firm. How dare we want to upset the status quo.

There's a difference between ambition and expectations. There seems to be an expectation amongst some Hearts fans that we should automatically be 2nd or even challenging for the title. No idea where that comes from.

If you want to be pedantic it was two results.

And I was commenting on the suggestion in the article that the criticism was unjustified.

Like it or not, and you clearly don't, being outplayed by a lower league Hibs team over two games (and not for the first time) isn't acceptable.

We weren't outplayed in the first game.

Ricardo Shillyshally

There's a difference between ambition and expectations. There seems to be an expectation amongst some Hearts fans that we should automatically be 2nd or even challenging for the title. No idea where that comes from.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation to me.

We are one of the largest clubs in the country and have a fairly stable financial position at the moment

Francis Albert

Even if we are limiting the discussion to Hibs last season there were two bad results.

Seymour M Hersh

Smith's a welt and probably made his article up from looking at threads on here. Glad his kids team got battered by one of our academy teams as well. 

I think the ambition to finish second is based upon the fact that the other teams in the league aren't that good at all. Celtic are miles (and years) ahead of everybody else, but Rangers are pretty poor, Aberdeen aren't that great and the other teams are relatively gash. As a result, fans see the opportunity to kick on and make second our own. I don't see anything at all wrong with that.

If we simply accept that we aren't very good away from home, that we never do well in the LC, that St Johnstone generally beat us etc etc then we will forever be losers. I think this generation of Hearts fans want something a lot more than that and that is something very, very positive.

Francis Albert

I think the ambition to finish second is based upon the fact that the other teams in the league aren't that good at all. Celtic are miles (and years) ahead of everybody else, but Rangers are pretty poor, Aberdeen aren't that great and the other teams are relatively gash. As a result, fans see the opportunity to kick on and make second our own. I don't see anything at all wrong with that.

If we simply accept that we aren't very good away from home, that we never do well in the LC, that St Johnstone generally beat us etc etc then we will forever be losers. I think this generation of Hearts fans want something a lot more than that and that is something very, very positive.

I am not quite buying this Celtic are years ahead of everybody else stuff. They struggled to beat a poor Motherwell side yesterday. They didn't greatly outplay us (if at all) in the one game we have played them this season. If we had won games we should have won they would still be in our sights.

I am not quite buying this Celtic are years ahead of everybody else stuff. They struggled to beat a poor Motherwell side yesterday. They didn't greatly outplay us (if at all) in the one game we have played them this season. If we had won games we should have won they would still be in our sights.

As much as it pains me to say it, they are miles ahead of us and every other team in Scotland. Teams (including us with the correct mindset) can compete with them in one-off games, but over an entire season? Not yet. It would take something very, very special, and a little bit lucky to do that.

That said, if we get our dream management team in then anything is possible........ 

Ricardo Shillyshally

We came close in 86 98 and 06. I see no reason why we cant aspire to better things.

Thinking we can't challenge Celtic because they are years ahead is admitting failure straight away

We came close in 86 98 and 06. I see no reason why we cant aspire to better things.

Thinking we can't challenge Celtic because they are years ahead is admitting failure straight away

86 was an end of an era unfortunately. We can aspire all we want but, unless Celtic screw up badly, thre should be streets ahead of us given their financial position. What supporter doesn't sspire to win the league?

Thats my point. I want us to have the ambition to challenge - which we do - but at the same time you have to be realistic in terms of expectations.

Stephen Muddie

Celtic have dropped two points this season. The same as we dropped on Saturday. That's phenomenal really. They've improved from last season. Dunno if they themselves are years ahead because they've simply bought in, but it'll take years of gradually building a team and hopefully keeping it to match that quality for other teams who can't just buy it.

People should not really comment until they have actually read the article.

It's a very accurate description of what has happened in terms last 2 and a half years.

We are in a great position as a club right now and look to be moving forward to a bigger stadium that should be even more cauldron like.

Yet we still have people behaving like bairns in every match thread when we lose a goal, we play against 11 other people who are trying to win the match as well, we ain't going to win every match, we have no right to demand such stipulations.

Ian Cathro and Austin Mcphee deserve to be given time and let's keep of their back for a while at least.

Ricardo Shillyshally

86 was an end of an era unfortunately. We can aspire all we want but, unless Celtic screw up badly, thre should be streets ahead of us given their financial position. What supporter doesn't sspire to win the league?

Whilst that may be the current reality, it's a defeatist attitude.

If the Cthro/Mcphee partnership comes into being it confirms that we are prepared to do things differently.

It's been decades since at team outside Glasgow won the league. The old way of thinking has not been successful. Maybe a fresh way of thinking might be

At some point in time a team that's not not Celtic or Sevco WILL win the league.

It's a regrettable turn of events when someone moving from a leading Scottish club to a League One side with 7-8,000 turning up for games is regarded as being driven by ambition.

Stephen Muddie

It's a regrettable turn of events when someone moving from a leading Scottish club to a League One side with 7-8,000 turning up for games is regarded as being driven by ambition.

Ambition = money thesedays.

Otherwise why be a banker say instead of a doctor. Or a general assistant on an oil rig instead of working in a profession onshore for half the money.

Same in football. Better wages, better (in theory which relies on a degree of success) chance of progression

Archived