U20s Hearts v Rangers Youth Cup on Sunday

kila

Funtime Jambo

No but I do read the reports on here.

I take it that your view is because they are development games they don't matter.

My view is that they shouldn't be win at all costs but they are still important.

If I had four good under 16s I would want them playing for the 17s and maybe the occasional outing for the 20s if we are well ahead

I wouldnt believe everything you read regard match reports,thats just some random persons opinion its not an official report. 

Hearts have played a young squad this half of the season you should be proud that Hearts philosophy is to try and DEVELOP young players regardless of the result.

I try and get to the games as much as possible and i can honestly say they may be sitting at the bottom end of the table but nearly all the games have been tight and we have some talented youngsters(in my opinion)in the academy so relax and try and get to one of the games you might be pleasantly surprised!

Each club has their own priorities. Some seem to commit themselves to fielding younger sides while putting the more experienced youths players out on loan to senior clubs.  Others use it very much as a reserve league and maximise use of overage players. Some flip flop from week to week so you have no idea of what the team will look like.

The development league table gives a good indication of the average age of the squads used. 

Very good summary and that is pretty much exactly what happens, not much point looking too much into results in the development league as so many factors change from game to game.

fabienleclerq

FF do you think playing U15/U16s in these games is the way forward? Do you think it benefits them without hampering U17/18/19/20 kids?

Footballfirst

FF do you think playing U15/U16s in these games is the way forward? Do you think it benefits them without hampering U17/18/19/20 kids?

I'll sit on the fence on that one and say yes and no.  If it was 15 and 16 year olds playing against solely U20 sides then I'd say it was worthwhile, as the gap is bridgeable without risking a real pummeling.  However if is was against a Hamilton side in a development league match with (as they've had in the past) Alex Neil, Martin Canning, Michael Devlin and a couple of other overage players in their side, then I think it is pushing the lads on a bit too far.

There are exceptions to that though. We have had lads in the past who were "men" in all respects other than age, e.g. Dave Bowman, Alan McLaren, Gary Naysmith, who were ready to play in the senior ranks at a young age. Again there is a caveat that it is best to blood the players one at a time, rather than en masse with 4 or 5 being asked to step up together. I think that so many U16s etc are being asked to step up is more of a reflection on the quality within the age groups ahead of them.

I'm on record as saying that there won't be many who make it (with Hearts) from the current crop of U17s-U20s.  Even the current crop U16s for whom we hold out a lot of hope, have a lot of development to get through before I'll say that they will make it, but at least there are a few of them who still have a chance.

I think the absence of the reserve league makes it more difficult for players to make the transition to first team football, unless you make good use the loan system.  (I don't think we have since administration).

orchardmaroon

Interesting thread as normal - and a similar debate I have seen a few times.

I was not at Mondays match v Rangers but was there yesterday and it's amazing the difference when you attend. I thought the team which was a good deal younger against one of the two best resources academies in Scotland done great. Well certainly for the first hour till age and strength won over.

I am in no doubt Hearts are doing right thing - Rangers have some great talent there but they will never see first team football. The Hearts team have kids who the club want to develop - the lad Irving was with first team squad on Saturday and Currie has been there a few weeks.

I think people need to open their mind and look a bit closer - Rangers are good and the lad Burt looks class act. However a number of the Hearts lads have a real chance such as Hamilton, Irving, Reid, Cochrane and Leonard - all not yet 17 and none of whom looked out of place yesterday.

What I would say is that two or three senior players per week would really help these lads.

Thought Paton was good yesterday also as Kelby the goalie decent.

I say watch an odd game then comment - the only result I care about is on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diadora Van Basten

I would say watch hoop dreams see the level of competition in the matches at the end and how much it means to the players. Then compare it to our under 20 matches.

Even Mark Wotte said in Holland that there is a level for every player.

Playing under 16 players above their level and losing all the time on the basis that in four years the players will be good is not for me.

Funtime Jambo

I would say watch hoop dreams see the level of competition in the matches at the end and how much it means to the players. Then compare it to our under 20 matches.

Even Mark Wotte said in Holland that there is a level for every player.

Playing under 16 players above their level and losing all the time on the basis that in four years the players will be good is not for me.

Mark Wotte used to play certain boys up an age group when he was in charge of the Scotland set up.I understand what you are saying,the young lad Hamilton who i believe is 15 years old and a talent was up against Ryan Hardie who is 19 years of age 4 years older so he was up against it but i still think he will have learnt from the experience.

As a previous poster stated the main thing is the first team keep winning and and the academy keep giving the youth a chance to develop.

Archived