U20s Hearts v Rangers Youth Cup on Sunday

kila

Footballfirst

Mason Vladislav Reid Jones Hamilton Paton Morrison Cochrane Currie Irving Henderson

Subs McLean Gajda Petkov Smith Leonard Gillan Sandison

Mason Vladislav Reid Jones Hamilton Paton Morrison Cochrane Currie Irving Henderson

Thought Gajda couldn't sign until January.  Is he playing (if he gets on) as a trialist?

jamboinglasgow

Thought Gajda couldn't sign until January. Is he playing (if he gets on) as a trialist?

He has signed as an amateur until January when he will sign a pro contract.

Footballfirst

Half time 1-2

Hearts started well and scored when Hamilton headed Irving's cross onto the net from six yards.

Rangers equalised when Mason could only push away a shot from Rudden and Burt reacted quickest to drill the ball in a the near post from the corner of the six yard box.

Rangers pen came when Vladislav was judged to have pushed Burt to the ground. Hardie sent Mason the wrong way from the spot.

Rangers probably edged the first half but Hearts are still well in the game.

Footballfirst

Hearts were second best in a game that was pretty similar to their match at Ochilview on Monday with the second half continuing very much in the same fashion as the first had ended.

Hearts had a couple of half chances to level early in the second half. First Morrison had his shot take just enough of a deflection to hit the post then a Jones header was well saved by McCrorie which was then ushered back into the keepers hands.  it should have been a free kick for a pass back but the ref waved play on.

Rangers then got their third from a a break down the right involving McCrorie and Burt who cut the ball back for Hardie to score easily.

A fourth goal followed soon after when a long ball over the top left Hardie with a run in on goal and he slotted the ball past Mason to complete his hat trick.

Hearts briefly threatened a comeback when Jones headed home a Paton corner , possibly with the final touch coming of Henderson.

In stoppage time Burt scored with an outrageous shot from wide out on the right touchline which caught Mason off his line and dropped in just under the bar at the far post. I'm almost certain that he meant it as a shot rather than a cross.

Hearts were ineffective up front with Currie, Henderson and latterly McLean failing to influence the game. The midfield three of Paton Irving and Cochrane all seemed to want an extra touch and were unable to make telling passes.  Morrison looked a threat in the first half, but Hearts best player was Leon Jones by some distance.

Slightly worrying that Sevco are so far ahead of us at this level, hopefully something we can change over the next few years.

disgruntledfan

Very disappointing result considering we had a dress rehearsal for this just a week ago.

I take it we were not that bothered about going further as we could have used Zannata, Moore and Roy.

Footballfirst

Slightly worrying that Sevco are so far ahead of us at this level, hopefully something we can change over the next few years.

It's not quite that bad as we started with a couple of 15 year olds and a couple of 16 year olds in the side.  Rangers were mainly U18s and U19s with Ryan Hardie who scored a hat trick an U20.

Hearts were also missing Zanatta and Roy who are on loan, while Brandon, Godinho and Baur are all out with longer term injuries

It's not quite that bad as we started with a couple of 15 year olds and a couple of 16 year olds in the side.  Rangers were mainly U18s and U19s with Ryan Hardie who scored a hat trick an U20.

Hearts were also missing Zanatta and Roy who are on loan, while Brandon, Godinho and Baur are all out with longer term injuries

Fair enough, I suppose it's not quite so black and white as just looking at results and the ultimate objective is to develop players for the first team.

Would you say we play younger players at u20's than all other teams or is it common practice at a few clubs?

Footballfirst

Fair enough, I suppose it's not quite so black and white as just looking at results and the ultimate objective is to develop players for the first team.

Would you say we play younger players at u20's than all other teams or is it common practice at a few clubs?

Each club has their own priorities. Some seem to commit themselves to fielding younger sides while putting the more experienced youths players out on loan to senior clubs.  Others use it very much as a reserve league and maximise use of overage players. Some flip flop from week to week so you have no idea of what the team will look like.

The development league table gives a good indication of the average age of the squads used. 

Funtime Jambo

Hearts were second best in a game that was pretty similar to their match at Ochilview on Monday with the second half continuing very much in the same fashion as the first had ended.

Hearts had a couple of half chances to level early in the second half. First Morrison had his shot take just enough of a deflection to hit the post then a Jones header was well saved by McCrorie which was then ushered back into the keepers hands.  it should have been a free kick for a pass back but the ref waved play on.

Rangers then got their third from a a break down the right involving McCrorie and Burt who cut the ball back for Hardie to score easily.

A fourth goal followed soon after when a long ball over the top left Hardie with a run in on goal and he slotted the ball past Mason to complete his hat trick.

Hearts briefly threatened a comeback when Jones headed home a Paton corner , possibly with the final touch coming of Henderson.

In stoppage time Burt scored with an outrageous shot from wide out on the right touchline which caught Mason off his line and dropped in just under the bar at the far post. I'm almost certain that he meant it as a shot rather than a cross.

Hearts were ineffective up front with Currie, Henderson and latterly McLean failing to influence the game. The midfield three of Paton Irving and Cochrane all seemed to want an extra touch and were unable to make telling passes.  Morrison looked a threat in the first half, but Hearts best player was Leon Jones by some distance.

Thought Currie played well in the first half won a few free kicks the goal coming from one of them,heard from a parent after the game the lad picked up a groin strain not long after kick off.

Diadora Van Basten

Each club has their own priorities. Some seem to commit themselves to fielding younger sides while putting the more experienced youths players out on loan to senior clubs. Others use it very much as a reserve league and maximise use of overage players. Some flip flop from week to week so you have no idea of what the team will look like.

The development league table gives a good indication of the average age of the squads used.

Are we 2nd bottom?

stranraer-jambo

Hes on loan to St Mirren until January and cant get a game with them.

Ryan enjoyed his loan at Raith Rovers last season (would have been happy to return there) and is becoming frustrated with Warburton & Co re his development.

Ryan enjoyed his loan at Raith Rovers last season (would have been happy to return there) and is becoming frustrated with Warburton & Co re his development.

Would he come to Hearts do you Think?

Who is Gajda?

Diadora Van Basten

Yes, and we play bottom club ICT for the wooden spoon on Wednesday. :toilet:

That's a poor show for a team with the fourth highest turnover in Scotland, has its choice of the best players in Edinburgh and prides itself on youth development.

We_are_the_Hearts

That's a poor show for a team with the fourth highest turnover in Scotland, has its choice of the best players in Edinburgh and prides itself on youth development.

Need a clear out of some of the dinosaurs we still employ.

The ignorance of some on here talking about the current set up is staggering

To think that after less than 2.5 years we can complete a revolution is nonsense.

The scouting team has been vastly increased but it will take at least 5 years to have players filter through to the first team set up.

The coaches have been subject to many changes and again we have a number of new coaches working with us.

In the meantime we have some excellent youngsters but many are very young even for the youth cup age range.

Patience please

I suspect that the scouting isn't up to scratch. I know that we said that Vlad had left a mess but that's been three years now to sort it out.

http://spfl.co.uk/development-league/

You're completely missing the point. We are probably by far playing the youngest players in the u20s out of the division. We must have had at least 4 u16 players playing yesterday for a start. These players will probably develop far quicker and more efficiently than most of the u18/9s players in the other clubs.

Diadora Van Basten

You're completely missing the point. We are probably by far playing the youngest players in the u20s out of the division. We must have had at least 4 u16 players playing yesterday for a start. These players will probably develop far quicker and more efficiently than most of the u18/9s players in the other clubs.

We seem to be made up of u16s and foreigners.

I find it hard to believe that there are not better players playing aged 17-20 from Edinburgh.

Funtime Jambo

We seem to be made up of u16s and foreigners.

I find it hard to believe that there are not better players playing aged 17-20 from Edinburgh.

Do you attend the u20s DEVELOPMENT games?

Diadora Van Basten

Do you attend the u20s DEVELOPMENT games?

No but I do read the reports on here.

I take it that your view is because they are development games they don't matter.

My view is that they shouldn't be win at all costs but they are still important.

If I had four good under 16s I would want them playing for the 17s and maybe the occasional outing for the 20s if we are well ahead.

There are people still there from pre Budgement day that need emptied

Quite right.

I think it is time Gordon Patterson (kit man) and Peter in the shop got their jotters for training the youths the way they do.

PS - Have a word wi yersel.

Archived