New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Fxxx the SPFL

Re: funding / budget / costs, I trust Ann completely. I'm personally not about to piss my pants unless Ann indicates there is a problem.

Each day on here appears to be a fresh opportunity to have a ball-ache about something new. In the past week we've seen pants pissed in about the glass, then it was the Skyline view, now it's the funds...

Any predictions of what the next drama could be?

Back on topic, the new stand appears incredible! Thanks for the continued sharing of photographs and constructive 'construction' information.

I believe rivet watchers are gathering to see if there is one missing from the steelwork :2thumbsup:

rabthejambo

Hopefully some of the 2 million includes getting rid of the police box to avoid the problem of the archetect having to explain why he designed a stand with seats that cannot see 1 of the goals.

This is something that appears to be popping up more regularly.  When I purchased my season ticket it was something that concerned me.  I still went for section T but I chose seat 24 as I felt that seat would be far enough in that it would not be affected by the Police Box being in my line of sight.  

Thomaso, do you have any knowledge in this area?  I guess the intention will be to eventually move the box and house the Police in the stand but I would be mightily unimpressed if I bought a seat with a restricted view at the same price as someone who hasn't.

Re: funding / budget / costs, I trust Ann completely. I'm personally not about to piss my pants unless Ann indicates there is a problem.

Each day on here appears to be a fresh opportunity to have a ball-ache about something new. In the past week we've seen pants pissed in about the glass, then it was the Skyline view, now it's the funds...

Any predictions of what the next drama could be?

Back on topic, the new stand appears incredible! Thanks for the continued sharing of photographs and constructive 'construction' information.

Good post.

A_A wehatethehibs

I actually like the fact that Ann comes out herself and freely admits that there have been cost overruns due to her decisions, taking full responsibility. She is one step ahead of the media, it denies sensationalist papers like the sun or daily record their headline "EXCLUSIVE: jambos new white elephant stand ??? over budget!" Because within her interview, she makes it clear that everything is under control and that the club will not be damaged by it, but can only benefit from the magnificent new main stand.

Mind you, yesterdays news the sun and record will still go with that sort of sensationalist headline, and in doing so further enhance their "yesterdays news" image because everyone can watch the interview in full via social media.

I really do like everything about Ann from a business side of things, we are lucky to have her in that regard.  My issues with her are all as a football spectacle and experience related 

Francis Albert

Re the view from the roof terrace -

It is what it is, we had height restrictions so it was always going to be the view it will end up being

The only thing I would say is that if the club only chose to construct the skyline lounge because it was assured of a certain view and it doesn't have that view and it can quantify any loss as a result then it might have a claim.

But this isn't the club's fault either way

And in any event the ground is bang in the middle of Gorgie - your view was always going to included a shitload of Gorgie before you get anywhere near the castle

So I'm not sure quite what the issue is.

Are height restrictions the cause? There have been differing opinions expressed, and the fact that the Skyline Lounge is lower than the stand itself makes the restriction a bit puzzling - especially given some of the monstrosities the Planning Department have accepted (the overly dense and high south side of St Andrews Square for example, a location perhaps more sensitive than McLeod Street). I can't see how an extra storey or so would have affected anyone.

I assume the club would have got some assurance from the architect before allowing the image of the restaurant to be included in the public planning documentation, if only in a general assurance in the contract of the accuracy of the application details. The height of the sky lounge was by then of course known.

I agree with your view of what the view was always going to look like, miles of Gorgie/Dalry with a few distant features of the city centre skyline, less than from the higher back seats of the Wheatfield.

I am not bothered either about the view, What amuses me that at the time the original image was posted lots on here were orgasming about the view and what a magnificent new attraction it would be. When it becomes clear the view won't be there, almost everyone piles in to say it was never important anyway and its loss is a non-issue.

As I have posted before I am not bothered much either about the McLeod Street fa?ade. I will glance at it for a few minutes every other week at most. After a month or two I will pay as much attention to it as I did to the old stand until just before it disappeared. And those in other three stands will see even less of it. Foot and road traffic McLeod Street is not significant enough for its appearance to matter much to passers by. IF it could have been done more plainly, more simply, more cheaply and with lower maintenance requirements I would have sacrificed the kerb appeal.

What matters is what it looks like pitch-side and from the other stands, and the facilities inside the stand. As I have also said often, I think the completed stadium will be magnificent - where and when it matters.

On the cost over-run, again I see a slight inconsistency between the oft repeated mantra that it will be fully funded and delivered without debt and the view that at least doubling or trebling the funding shortfall is of no consequence.

Edited by Francis Albert

John Findlay

I believe rivet watchers are gathering to see if there is one missing from the steelwork :2thumbsup:

I'm sure they will find it rivetting.

Are height restrictions the cause? There have been differing opinions expressed, and the fact that the Skyline Lounge is lower than the stand itself makes the restriction a bit puzzling - especially given some of the monstrosities the Planning Department have accepted (the overly dense and high south side of St Andrews Square for example, a location perhaps more sensitive than McLeod Street). I can't see how an extra storey or so would have affected anyone.

Residents in the near by houses being blocked out by light hence why no more seats being added. St Andrews SQ is a different project and doesnt have residential housing near it

I assume the club would have got some assurance from the architect before allowing the image of the restaurant to be included in the public planning documentation, if only in a general assurance in the contract of the accuracy of the application details. The height of the sky lounge was by then of course known.

Its already been indicated that the results were not what was expected we do not know what is happening in the background in respect to that mistake therefore they wouldnt know this at the time of publication.

I agree with your view of what the view was always going to look like, miles of Gorgie/Dalry with a few distant features of the city centre skyline, less than from the higher back seats of the Wheatfield.

I am not bothered either about the view, What amuses me that at the time the original image was posted lots on here were orgasming about the view and what a magnificent new attraction it would be. When it becomes clear the view won't be there, almost everyone piles in to say it was never important anyway and its loss is a non-issue.

I find it typical you take a contrary view and have a sly dig at posters that seems to be your style of posting

As I have posted before I am not bothered much either about the McLeod Street fa?ade. I will glance at it for a few minutes every other week at most. After a month or two I will pay as much attention to it as I did to the old stand until just before it disappeared. And those in other three stands will see even less of it. Foot and road traffic McLeod Street is not significant enough for its appearance to matter much to passers by. IF it could have been done more plainly, more simply, more cheaply and with lower maintenance requirements I would have sacrificed the kerb appeal.

Your numerous posts on this subject contradict that statement or is your contrary stance just to bait others ?

What matters is what it looks like pitch-side and from the other stands, and the facilities inside the stand. As I have also said often, I think the completed stadium will be magnificent - where and when it matters.

Agreed

On the cost over-run, again I see a slight inconsistency between the oft repeated mantra that it will be fully funded and delivered without debt and the view that at least doubling or trebling the funding shortfall is of no consequence.

We have had one statement from the club recently regarding the over spend in which it was indicated it would be met by daily operational budget, until we hear otherwise there is no inconsistency. It wasnt Ann that said the cost was ?14m she just said it was ?2m over so we do not know if that does or doesnt include the contingency cash. We also dont know what the club has in place to cover this overspend or any other shortfall so it would be good to get an updated position in respect to whether this overspend is the same amount noted in the previous statement, in which case I cant imagine we had ?2m spare in our operating budget, or more than likely its the ?1m over and above the contingency.

Edited by Jamboelite

Can't see what the issue is either.

It's hardly the fecking Toronto sky bar. It's the same height as the wheatfield so of course the view isn't going to be great and it's going to have a load of buildings of similar height at your eyeline

The view from the back rows of the Wheatfield is/was great. 

Edited by Ray Gin

I think the sky lounge could have a roof terrace giving perfect views. The view from inside will mostly be sky, hence the name I guess.

We'll find out soon enough.

Shame this thread keeps going round in circles though - lack of a full story from the club not helping I suppose.

Another 5 pages of debate over FA's latest speech to look forward to huh...

Rivets?. Its a stand they are building not a 1900s ship. Edited by scabber

Mars plastic

I've always assumed that Sept 9th would see the Main Stand open as a Wheatfield-style shell - with the bare minimum needed to operate safely and effectively; basically a load of seats, pie kiosks and toilets. All the fancy innards of the stand are not necessary for basic matchday, as they are in the Wheatfield

That is correct. All that falls under phase 1. Phase 2, which is the remainder of the 1st floor and floors 2 & 3, will be due for conpletion Jan/Feb '18 if not before.

?2 million - cheap price to fill the corners in!!

Bet that sounded hilarious in your head...

That is correct. All that falls under phase 1. Phase 2, which is the remainder of the 1st floor and floors 2 & 3, will be due for conpletion Jan/Feb '18 if not before.

Im not sure how much some people are aware it will be a shell for effectively another 6months.

I can see more seethe come opening day.

sairyinthat

Wrong person. I have been extremely supportive of Cathro and dont think I have ever posted anything negative about Levein.

Given where we were financially, perhaps I am now a little paranoid about these things, but I dont necessarily see that as a bad thing. We are well short in terms of funding and so that is pretty concerning.

Uhm, didn't think I was mistaken but will accept it,Apologies to you.

Francis Albert

To save space I won't quote Jamboelite's reply but

I'd have though the contrary ones were those who switched from lauding the rooftop restaurant view to deciding its loss didn't matter. And I have posted very rarely about the fa?ade compared to many posters on here. It's not my fault that my reference to a 70's office block has had such resonance!

Edited by Francis Albert

Bad Religion

This might be a stupid question but is the maroon cladding to the front and sides of the stand transparent? Are some panels transparent and others not?

Mars plastic

Im not sure how much some people are aware it will be a shell for effectively another 6months.

To give you an idea of how quick this is being fired up, a new build high school of the same value typically takes 75 weeks to build.

To save I won't quote Jamboelite's post but

I'd have though the contrary ones were those who switched from lauding the rooftop restaurant view to deciding its loss didn't matter. And I have posted rarely about the fa?ade compared to many posters on here.

Im not going to give you a hard time FA but you more often than not take a stance or engage in a debate by taking a contrary view to others, now if that is your opinion then fair enough however some of that definitely comes across aS baiting others. 

Earlier you used the description of the facade as a 70's office block knowing full well that others would take the connotation of that image as being ugly, you let that rumble on for quite a while until then posting that you actually like it and that this reference wasnt a negative from your perspective.

In general you seem to be a poster who enjoys antagonising others under the banner of "its just my opinion" even when I dont always believe that is your opinion.

Anyway we both agree the new stand will be a massive plus to HMFC .

To give you an idea of how quick this is being fired up, a new build high school of the same value typically takes 75 weeks to build.

Having just seen Portobello High being built and the time taken for that structure I am amazed each day as to the speed this is going up and on this scale.

Having just seen Portobello High being built and the time taken for that structure I am amazed each day as to the speed this is going up and on this scale.

Just look along the road at the chaos of the new Boroughmuir school

Mars plastic

And you also have to factor in the site constraints and the demolition of the old stand. Two elements that Balfour Beatty never had to worry about building the new PHS.

Great pic Fila , if we could get more pics and less moaning we could get this thread back to being the best on kb :D

This.

Fxxx the SPFL

Rivets?. Its a stand they are building not a 1900s ship.

but but but it's a 1970's office block did they not use rivets then lol.

"It's no finished"

samcdonald22

Just heard, lifts to the skylounge will be powered by hot air from Jambo kickback

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

troonmaroon

Just heard, lifts to the skylounge will be powered by hot air from Jambo kickback

Oh FFS. Final straw. This club of ours is just take take take!! Season ticket being sent back, FOH payment stopped, HYDC going too!

Grr....

;-)

Is that you Billy Connolly?

I think the sky lounge could have a roof terrace giving perfect views. The view from inside will mostly be sky, hence the name I guess.

We'll find out soon enough.

Shame this thread keeps going round in circles though - lack of a full story from the club not helping I suppose.

Another 5 pages of debate over FA's latest speech to look forward to huh...

Just get a periscope up there and charge a fiver a look.

If you and your partner had set aside ?10,000 for the improvements and the better quality furnishings were costing an extra ?2,000, wouldn't you expect her to ask how it was going to be paid for? I think it is entirely reasonable to do so. 

I agree and think that it was a bit remiss of her to advise the fans of this "overspend" via the BBC TV interview.

She has been a fan of making public statements previously on our own website so why the change now.

Fair enough she is the current owner and if she thinks that changes are required fine but she made it sound on her interview as if she was building an extension on her house and wanted more toilets etc.

Has she forgotten that ultimately it is the fans that are paying for this? She made no mention of where the funding is coming for to cover these extra costs.

To save space I won't quote Jamboelite's reply but

I'd have though the contrary ones were those who switched from lauding the rooftop restaurant view to deciding its loss didn't matter. And I have posted very rarely about the fa?ade compared to many posters on here. It's not my fault that my reference to a 70's office block has had such resonance!

Ignore time. This thread is about the stand not you. 

Pants Shaton

Ignore time. This thread is about the stand not you.

Always comes across as the ultimate pub bore. Captive audience on JKB.

Lucille's Thirsty

I can't wait to see it from the inside as I sit in the Gorgie End.

Can't wait to see Tynie lit up at night do we have Hibs on a weekday night?

I can't wait to see it from the inside as I sit in the Gorgie End.

Can't wait to see Tynie lit up at night do we have Hibs on a weekday night?

Wed 16th Oct iirc.

What a night that'll be.

Re the tongue in cheek statue post:

Robinson is just as much to 'thank' as Romanov in my opinion

Both were shithawks

Both won cups

3/4s of the ground we love was built by Robinson

Without the mess Robinson created we would never have had Vlad. Without the mess Vlad created we would never have had Ann.

Robinson nearly lost us Tynecastle. Vlad pushed us closer to going out of business for good.

Fxxx the SPFL

Both were shithawks

Both won cups

Without the mess Robinson created we would never have had Vlad. Without the mess Vlad created we would never have had Ann.

Robinson nearly lost us Tynecastle. Vlad pushed us closer to going out of business for good.

i agree but if we had moved to Murrayfield we would have died a slow painful death and probably ended up playing at Saughton enclosure.

Governor Tarkin

The usual arseholes and vermin have got their mits on it.

:lol:

They certainly have.

Both were shithawks

Both won cups

Perversely this is true but I'll never thank either especially the pieman Edited by 1971fozzy

Perversely this is true but I'll never thank either especially the pieman

Mercer had the vision and put the wheels in motion as well, Robinson made sure he took all the limelight for them being built though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

David McCaig

Great pic Fila , if we could get more pics and less moaning we could get this thread back to being the best on kb :D

I'll save my moaning for you Gerry... Are we running a bus to the East Fife match!!

I hope the ?2m will mean there's a shite chute from my new seat right onto Neil Lennon's ginger heid, Crackerjack style.

I agree and think that it was a bit remiss of her to advise the fans of this "overspend" via the BBC TV interview.

She has been a fan of making public statements previously on our own website so why the change now.

Fair enough she is the current owner and if she thinks that changes are required fine but she made it sound on her interview as if she was building an extension on her house and wanted more toilets etc.

Has she forgotten that ultimately it is the fans that are paying for this? She made no mention of where the funding is coming for to cover these extra costs.

Unless the overspend is already covered as per the statement she made on the website recently. She was stating we were overbudget but it was covered by club funds.

i agree with you if thats not the case though.

Montgomery Brewster

Wed 16th Oct iirc.

What a night that'll be.

No that's away. We play the vermin at home on 27/12

Let's just wait and see how the view from the lounge is when complete. I'm sure it will look fantastic.

Cheers to Thomaso for the detailed updates. Appreciated.

Edited by Maple Leaf

Unless the overspend is already covered as per the statement she made on the website recently. She was stating we were overbudget but it was covered by club funds.

i agree with you if thats not the case though.

I have just listened to her interview again and at no point does she say quote from you "but it was covered by club funds".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40590063

A_A wehatethehibs

I have just listened to her interview again and at no point does she say quote from you "but it was covered by club funds".

"When we committed to this Redevelopment Project, we did so, confident that the costs could be met through a mixture of Club Reserves (built up since May 2014), Club contributions from normal operations during financial years 2016 ? 2018, contributions from a small group of Benefactors, contributions from a new deal between BIDCO and FOH, and last but by no means least, through focused fund-raising initiatives"

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/5863

In other words, if you include our projected earnings until the end of financial year 2018, we are confident we have enough money to pay for the whole project in full, including the various means listed above. That was the position in April 2017 and there has been no change in that position.

heartsfc_fan

Maybe the ?400k development fee we got for Paterson has been put into the kitty.

"As I have said repeatedly, every day brings its own challenges on a project of this size and complexity and, not entirely unexpectedly, we have been faced with a number of changes that have resulted in some budget overruns. However, these are at a level that are manageable and capable of being met from Club funds; and most importantly, will not result in us failing to achieve our very tight timescales." ? Ann Budge, 6 June 2017

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/5965