New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Is it not more the case that we have increased the budget, rather than exceeding it.

Of course we are all delighted that it is happenening, but it is ridiculous to claim that there are no negatives to a project running 2 million over a budget :lol:

August Landmesser

any new pictures? It's what I came on here for, I sort of miss them

Another one from yesterday:

1133.jpg

Kila put one up last night, and I bet there'll be a glut from inside the ground after the Newcastle game tomorrow

1133.jpg

Beauty. Been said before many times but the tenement reflection really blends the two types of structures together

Every time I see that view the reflection gets better!  Such a cool feature (although I'd guess it was just by chance from the Architects point of view - but now he/she will be claiming it was in their mind from the off)

Yes. As can be seen here:

5000e9abdc9fc014472caf8b6852ef32.jpg

Christ, that was quick, they've worked so hard over the last few days.

Francis Albert

Is it not more the case that we have increased the budget, rather than exceeding it.

This is common business practice. Projects in my experience always come in "on time and on budget". Of course the time and budget often depart radically from those in place at the start of the project. So far at least our timing seems fine. Edited by Francis Albert

Bowmans_Boot

Why, when the reason it is over budget is due to improvements that our owner wanted done while reviewing the progress?!

If I get a builder in to do home improvements, I then can't say it's a negative thing to be over budget when I asked him to put in better quality finishings or make a room longer etc....  If he sprung a higher cost on me for no reason then I'd be inclined to agree obviously but that's not the case.

If you and your partner had set aside ?10,000 for the improvements and the better quality furnishings were costing an extra ?2,000, wouldn't you expect her to ask how it was going to be paid for? I think it is entirely reasonable to do so. 

August Landmesser

Why, when the reason it is over budget is due to improvements that our owner wanted done while reviewing the progress?!

If I get a builder in to do home improvements, I then can't say it's a negative thing to be over budget when I asked him to put in better quality finishings or make a room longer etc....  If he sprung a higher cost on me for no reason then I'd be inclined to agree obviously but that's not the case.

I agree. Ann seemed totally relaxed with the increased cost, which reassures me that the money is there. I'm sure we'll find out where it's come from at some point; we could be playing it canny about our wonga whilst the transfer window is still open for all I know.

August Landmesser

Christ, that was quick, they've worked so hard over the last few days.

?2m spent on a giant 3D printer

Anyone scooting past the Castle today ?

A few pics would be appreciated.

Is it true the ?2 million overspend is Thomaso's expense account for time spent on JKB?

If you and your partner had set aside ?10,000 for the improvements and the better quality furnishings were costing an extra ?2,000, wouldn't you expect her to ask how it was going to be paid for? I think it is entirely reasonable to do so. 

Aye but I would know the answer to that question before I asked for the improved works.  I trust her 100% in these matters

Bowmans_Boot

Aye but I would know the answer to that question before I asked for the improved works. I trust her 100% in these matters

If we have an extra few million to spend on whatever we want, why did we just have a fundraising initiative to raise ?1M shortfall?

David McCaig

Well this thread has turned into an excellent way to increase the blocked list. Some absolute drivel being posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has raised concerns in anything other than a polite way. There is no trolling going on, it's just some people have more 'minor concerns' than others.

Based on the logic of this thread, concerns about our Manager would be barred on the basis that the club considers him to be the best man for the job... So therefore he must be the best man for the job.

The bulk of the insults and personal comments have been aimed at those of us foolhardy enough to suggest that things may possibly be anything less than 100% fantastically perfect.

Edited by David McCaig

Anyone scooting past the Castle today ?

A few pics would be appreciated.

Is it true the ?2 million overspend is Thomaso's expense account for time spent on JKB?

Small print included thomaso going easy on Levein for the time being :whistling:

?2m spent on a giant 3D printer

Haha folk walking up and hitting their heads off the screen like the Truman Show!!

We should totally put an LED wall up on the top floor and stream the view of the castle, but put a huge shite emoji where Fester Road is.

This is common business practice. Projects in my experience always come in "on time and on budget". Of course the time and budget often depart radically from those in place at the start of the project. So far at least our timing seems fine.

Clearly never built a house or house extension then ?

In my experience rarely do projects this size come in on budget. There's a difference also in allowing it to go over for reasons spelt out by Ann Budge

Hungry hippo

Clearly never built a house or house extension then ?

In my experience rarely do projects this size come in on budget. There's a difference also in allowing it to go over for reasons spelt out by Ann Budge

He means that people just increase the budget and timescales when there are increases.

heartsfc_fan

I've no concerns about the increased costs. Sounds like Ann wants it done properly.

I'd only be questioning where the extra funding is coming from, unless it's from the good lady herself.

Hopefully Edinburgh Castle's tourism gaffer adds in their leaflets that you can see Tynecastle's Skyline Restaurant/terrace from there...

;). :D

Bowmans_Boot

I've no concerns about the increased costs. Sounds like Ann wants it done properly.

I'd only be questioning where the extra funding is coming from, unless it's from the good lady herself.

That is all anybody is questioning, particularly given that we were significantly short on the previous budgeted amount.

scott herbertson

He means that people just increase the budget and timescales when there are increases.

Sort of ..there are usually procedures for adjustments to specification 9with agreed costs or arbitration)

It's also possible to present things differently - eg to pay for something which was in your original spec from another source - eg fixtures and fittings - and theoretically not overspend. On timescales take the end date as when the snagging list is agreed not when the snags are fixed etc. An honest comparison of original budget/ timescale and actual delivery for the vast majority of projects, public or priovate would be that they overspend and run over time in virtually every instance.

Hopefully some of the 2 million includes getting rid of the police box to avoid the problem of the archetect having to explain why he designed a stand with seats that cannot see 1 of the goals.

Edited by hughesie27

Aye but I would know the answer to that question before I asked for the improved works. I trust her 100% in these matters

This is where I'm at. From the interview it sounds like it could be done cheaper but that's not what she wants. More bogs, bigger kiosks. It's not a vanity project. To me it seems there are suddenly certain parties keen to put a negative spin on something positive coming out of Tynecastle. Won't be finished on time, will be over budget etc. If it's late it's late. I'm convinced this woman is a safe pair of hands and I have every faith in her ability to get this massive thing done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is common business practice. Projects in my experience always come in "on time and on budget". Of course the time and budget often depart radically from those in place at the start of the project. So far at least our timing seems fine.

It's the old project management triangle. Imagine a triangle of card resting on a marble. The three points are 'cost', 'time' and 'quality'.

At any time only two of these points can rest on a surface. The third is raised up.

And so for projects. You can only nail down two of these variables at the expense of the third.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Hopefully Edinburgh Castle's tourism gaffer adds in their leaflets that you can see Tynecastle's Skyline Restaurant/terrace from there...

;). :D

Only the very top of it though.  :thumbsup: 

I'm hearing the overspend is down to them installing a number of JKB Padded Cells with straight jackets.  Thankfully we'll save money by not installing smoke detectors in the toilets.

I would presume re Ann's statement that the costs were primarily due to additions or changes at her request this wouldn't apply? Unless you mean if there are other delays not due to this?

Being honest with client change and a tight programme I can't believe there will not be a delay.

Also there is no chance on a job like this that if there is delay none of it will be contractor delay.

It's possible that part of the overspend is paying acceleration and/or incentive costs to ensure completion is on time.

Edited by Jammy T

Pinched from the Facebook main stand photo group, credit to Dave Durie

Presumably taken this morning:

19956744_637026369837514_811514307770175

Monumentally spunk-******-tastic. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this is really happening. 

That's the crane ready to drop this masterpiece into position but ours is with King Vlad and Queen Ann!

The_Meeting_statue_at_St_Pancras_Station

Edited by Armageddon

scott herbertson

Being honest with client change and a tight programme I can't believe there will not be a delay.

Also there is no chance on a job like this that if there is delay none of it will be contractor delay.

It's possible that part of the overspend is paying acceleration and/or incentive costs to ensure completion is on time.

Possibly. I would also suggest that some delays might be possible without delaying the 9 sept public use.

EG you could put temp toilets in the concourse and shunt the toilet installation till after the game (I'm not suggesting that will happen or that its a good idea - just an example of how you could still open) Also could not open the kiosks etc, just focuus on the seats and safety of access and ingress, evacuation lines etc. Would add to costs.

Re the view from the roof terrace -

It is what it is, we had height restrictions so it was always going to be the view it will end up being

The only thing I would say is that if the club only chose to construct the skyline lounge because it was assured of a certain view and it doesn't have that view and it can quantify any loss as a result then it might have a claim.

But this isn't the club's fault either way

And in any event the ground is bang in the middle of Gorgie - your view was always going to included a shitload of Gorgie before you get anywhere near the castle

So I'm not sure quite what the issue is.

sandylejambo

Thanks for the photos folks, I normally go to the last page but after reading the last page I nearly lost the will to live, thanks again,

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Monumentally spunk-******-tastic. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this is really happening.

Snap. It truly is amazing. I doubt we will be in debt or have our playing budget drastically reduced.

Just a feeling. We are almost ready for take off

I see Kickback has done it's usual..  Jeez..

Any normal Jambo should be absolutely delighted just seeing this stand happening!!  There are no negatives here, none.  It's the best looking modern stand in the country and is fit for purpose in terms of capacity and facilities.  Shove your skyline cries and grey panel moans up your hole.

Can't wait to tomorrow night to firstly see the new stand progressing, and secondly to see our new look team take to the pitch.

Cheer up

Well said sir.

:2thumbsup:

Thomaso, I take it the badge and the Tynecastle Park sign are going in the horizontal centre of the glass wall? 

It is what it is, we had height restrictions so it was always going to be the view it will end up being

The only thing I would say is that if the club only chose to construct the skyline lounge because it was assured of a certain view and it doesn't have that view and it can quantify any loss as a result then it might have a claim.

And in any event the ground is bang in the middle of Gorgie - your view was always going to included a shitload of Gorgie before you get anywhere near the castle

Can't see what the issue is either.

It's hardly the fecking Toronto sky bar. It's the same height as the wheatfield so of course the view isn't going to be great and it's going to have a load of buildings of similar height at your eyeline

scott herbertson

Excellent - I can't wait to walk up Gorgie Road and pause at Mcleod Street just to take it in - last time I saw it was a few weeks ago and next will be at the game I think

Independence

There is no issue other than drama queens and H1b5 fans trying to stir it! For me as an over 60 yo Hearts fan I never thought I would see this happen. Thanks to all at Tynecastle who have made this possible.

Unknown user

Naming rights perhaps ?

Possibly but I think many have competely unrealistic expectations about how much a company would really be willing to pay for naming rights to the third biggest team in a shit league in a small country. Unless there's another mystery benefactor with a Save The Children style deal I can't see that it would be worth that much

August Landmesser

Possibly. I would also suggest that some delays might be possible without delaying the 9 sept public use.

EG you could put temp toilets in the concourse and shunt the toilet installation till after the game (I'm not suggesting that will happen or that its a good idea - just an example of how you could still open) Also could not open the kiosks etc, just focuus on the seats and safety of access and ingress, evacuation lines etc. Would add to costs.

I've always assumed that Sept 9th would see the Main Stand open as a Wheatfield-style shell - with the bare minimum needed to operate safely and effectively; basically a load of seats, pie kiosks and toilets. All the fancy innards of the stand are not necessary for basic matchday, as they are in the Wheatfield 

JamboJoker98

This is where I'm at too. The facilities built into this stand are miles ahead of pretty much the rest of Scottish football!

sandylejambo

In terms of rising costs, as a retired builder I found that clients are surprised that I only priced for what was on the drawings, they new what was in their head but I was only aware of what was on the paper, it's very common for clients to add things to the job that they believed were already priced for, that has caused me a few headaches in the past, glad to say I am now living the dream away from such things and looking forward to sitting in the new fantastic stand

sairyinthat

That is all anybody is questioning, particularly given that we were significantly short on the previous budgeted amount.

Yeah right,your here for the opportunity to criticise as per  Been at a loose end since your anti Cathro/Levien gas was put at a peep

That's the crane ready to drop this masterpiece into position but ours is with King Vlad and Queen Ann!

The_Meeting_statue_at_St_Pancras_Station

Not a bad idea. Quite literally none of this would have happened without either one of them.

You can't say the same for Mr. Robinson.

Bowmans_Boot

Yeah right,your here for the opportunity to criticise as per Been at a loose end since your anti Cathro/Levien gas was put at a peep

Wrong person. I have been extremely supportive of Cathro and dont think I have ever posted anything negative about Levein.

Given where we were financially, perhaps I am now a little paranoid about these things, but I dont necessarily see that as a bad thing. We are well short in terms of funding and so that is pretty concerning.

Hope you have a defibrillator to hand, mate. You need to calm doon a bit!

I think a Do Not Resuscitate sign would be preferable.

Anyway, I'm going for a look about lunchtime today since it's sunny. I'll offer my considered opinion on shades of grey, skylines and possible till positioning sometime thereafter.

FTH.

Edited by smallfaces

gerryjambo41

1133.jpg

Great pic Fila , if we could get more pics and less moaning we could get this thread back to being the best on kb :D

Re: funding / budget / costs, I trust Ann completely. I'm personally not about to piss my pants unless Ann indicates there is a problem.

Each day on here appears to be a fresh opportunity to have a ball-ache about something new. In the past week we've seen pants pissed in about the glass, then it was the Skyline view, now it's the funds...

Any predictions of what the next drama could be?

Back on topic, the new stand appears incredible! Thanks for the continued sharing of photographs and constructive 'construction' information.

I've always assumed that Sept 9th would see the Main Stand open as a Wheatfield-style shell - with the bare minimum needed to operate safely and effectively; basically a load of seats, pie kiosks and toilets. All the fancy innards of the stand are not necessary for basic matchday, as they are in the Wheatfield

Likewise. Kiosks would need to be open I assume unless access to the Gorgie was closed.