Robert Watters

Heartbeat

I have not seen anything on here so if someone did apologies

Robert passed away about a week ago and was buried at Prestonpans yesterday. Season ticket holder sat alongst side all of us in the gorgie stand died at a tragically young age after a short illness.

The ceremony was a tribute to Robert and his love of our club as all were asked to wear Hearts ties and scarfs and the song sheet even had the Hearts logo on it. Most did and two of his brother in Laws die hard Hibby and Gers fans both wore Hearts ties in a mark of respect for the lovely man Robert was.

It is all to often said after they pass away but I have not heard anyone ever say a bad word about this man and it was sad to see him near the end. If any of you knew him you will know what I mean. I dont think he even swore.

Anyway as the service had such a Hearts theme I thought it only fitting it was mentioned on this forum. Suffice to say Preston grange church was at bursting point and I have never seen so many people at a grave side

Thanks

Think that must have the one i seen in the paper.

tragic when someone young goes so early...

Midloth_Iain

Didnt know him but sad to hear of any Hearts fans' passing.

R.I.P.

A good pal, and a great man, husband and father.

RIP Robert - you will me greatly missed!

Took me to my first Hearts game in the home end.Was previously at two Hibs games with my Hibby brother but had my Hearts strip under my trackie top in the away end.As is said above he was an absolute gentleman and as was said at the sevice the jambos only came 2nd to Linda and Claire.

auld hamish

Taber was a founder member of the Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club when we all used to gather in the Goth for a drink, he was still a member when he passed away. He became a good friend to everyone he met and will always be remembered by all his friends in the Pans Hearts.

Yep,there was some turn out.

He really was a right nice guy,played golf with him a couple of times,done me a favour or 2 as well with my cental heating.

Once again good guy and a good family.

RIP

Robert 'Taber' Watters was a much respected and valued member of Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club and had been since the Club was launched in February 1978. Indeed, his two sisters Jean and Ann, are both regular attenders at matches, both home and away. Robert's funeral yesterday was superbly atended which says all anyone needs to know about a genuinely top bloke. Linda and Clare did an excellent job in giving Robert a great send off from all his friends and colleagues. Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club has lost a great guy.

Robert 'Taber' Watters was a much respected and valued member of Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club and had been since the Club was launched in February 1978. Indeed, his two sisters Jean and Ann, are both regular attenders at matches, both home and away. Robert's funeral yesterday was superbly atended which says all anyone needs to know about a genuinely top bloke. Linda and Clare did an excellent job in giving Robert a great send off from all his friends and colleagues. Prestonpans Hearts Supporters Club has lost a great guy.

Well put AO.

John Montgomery

Allan,

I only knew this post was from you when Rudi replied. It is a long time since you've been a TopPanner although your response no doubt is 'once a TopPanner always a TopPanner'.

Anyway as Rudi says top post Alan.

I have only just been able to post having seen the thread at the start and not wanting to believe it was the same Rob. Then Lindas name being mentioned and him being a founder member of the Pans club dispelled all doubts. I cant say much which hasn't been said already but just repeat that he was a great guy.

He will be great miss in your club. I am sure I speak for a lot of the 'older' members of our club who knew Rob from being a member of our club before your club was formed when I pass on our condolences and thoughts. I am sure I am not talking out of turn when I also say these condolences are from our club to yours officially. Our thoughts are also with his family.

On a personal basis can I pass on my own and Carol's thoughts through this thread to Linda and although I don't know her to Clare.

Brashy,

I started to read your opening post on the thread about season tickets but didn't read it all or I would have known last night about Rob. My thoughts are with you and although you don't know me I am going to send you a PM.

RIP Rob.

John

I didn't know the guy but it is always sad to hear about the loss of a fellow Hearts fan.

RIP.

I almost started a thread about Taber last week when I heard but as folk have hinted at, he was such an unassuming bloke I thought he might have been embarrassed by it all.

I can add nothing more to what has already been said.

Top bloke.

Thoughts remain with Linda and Queen Claire (her JKB name) as well as Jean and Anne.

RIP Taber.

I, unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting Robert. I did however once work beside his wife Linda.

I remember her once telling me a lovely story about the evening she was in labour, and I really hope she wouldn?t mind me sharing this with you. A quick check of London Hearts confirms that was on 28 February 1989.

Now for those who do not immediately recognise this date, it was the evening when Hearts played the mighty Bayern Munich at Tynecastle. Bayern were of course one of the best teams in Europe at that time, and Hearts quite literally had no chance against them. It was, of course, a game that no Hearts fan wanted to miss.

You can just imagine how it must have been for Robert, Hearts playing in their biggest game for years, and your wife goes into labour ? Cheers! Of course he did the right thing?..by going to the hospital with Linda, but he made sure that he took a radio with him!

I remember Linda telling me that when she was in the full throes of labour, Robert was avidly listening to the commentary from Tynecastle, (while I?m sure giving her lots of support at the same time), and as Iain Ferguson scored for Hearts, Robert screamed out in delight, (and if I recall correctly, so did the prospective father in the neighbouring delivery suite, who must have been a Jambo with a radio too).

What a great night for Robert, Hearts stuff the mighty Bayern, and you?re presented with a beautiful baby daughter, Claire ? I guess it can?t get much better than that!

I?m really sorry to hear this news, and Linda if you read this, sincere condolences from me and Mrs S.

John

A Canny man if ever there was one, but always could if asked.

Sincere condolences.

Martin.

Archived