What could you shout, in front of your kids, that could get you banned from Tynecastle?

Hearts_fan

I'm interested in finding out more about the notion of censorship at Tynecastle.

I gather there is a feeling among some that Tynecastle is now a so-called 'nanny state' and that you're not allowed to shout or sing without risking getting banned. 

So, I ask the following question: What could you shout or sing, in front of your kids, that could get you banned from Tynecastle?

But if you would rather, answer the following question: What could you shout or sing, in front of your kids, that would definitely not get you banned from Tynecastle?

I'm genuinely interested and think this could be an informative discussion.

What could you shout or sing, in front of your kids, that could get you banned from Tynecastle?

"C'mon ye Hibs!!

Banned! :)

Fair to discuss

But it's a bit hypothetical no?

What I'm interested in finding out is what are the words and terms that some are aggrieved at not being allowed to use at Tynecastle?

I'm interested in finding out more about the notion of censorship at Tynecastle.

I gather there is a feeling among some that Tynecastle is now a so-called 'nanny state' and that you're not allowed to shout or sing without risking getting banned.

So, I ask the following question: What could you shout or sing, in front of your kids, that could get you banned from Tynecastle?

But if you would rather, answer the following question: What could you shout or sing, in front of your kids, that would definitely not get you banned from Tynecastle?

I'd sing a racist song, throw a can of beer and then start punching the person next to me, like the Hibs supporters have done in the last two matches.

Why do kids need to be there? 

I guess in the hypothetical scenario, the "in front of your kids" aspect is just for context, a reminder that a stadium is, supposedly, still part of civilised society. Feel free to answer "if there were no kids in earshot, ..." That would also be interesting.

What I'm interested in finding out is what are the words and terms that some are aggrieved at not being allowed to use at Tynecastle?

That is clearer

You then only want to hear from people aggrieved at not being able to say certain things or for others to guess.

Surely you should be asking the club?

Maybe I'll ask the Club too, but it would be interesting to hear what a section of the fans are unhappy about.

Ah, cool. 

Probably, Enough of this possesion shite, get it launched up the park Phoodle ya big black poof. 

Forget the fact that kids might be there. I think the rule of thumb would be that if you shouted out anything that amounts to criminal conduct just to shout it, and the club felt it warranted it, your looking at a ban.

So excessive and aggressive swearing, especially if there is any racial, sectarian, xenophobic, or homophobic content is out.

You don't really have to ask this. The club position on stuff like this is perfectly clear. It's announced every week and it's on the website and it's entirely fair and justified.

That is clearer

You then only want to hear from people aggrieved at not being able to say certain things or for others to guess.

No, I'm interested in the facts.

For example, finding out why the so-called 'nanny-state-culture' is killing the atmosphere. Why are people not singing the Hearts song more often? Is that to do with 'nanny-culture'? If so, how? If not, lets not blame 'nanny-culture'.

If people want to shout or sing certain things, but are afraid to, then lets hear what they are.

Forget the fact that kids might be there. I think the rule of thumb would be that if you shouted out anything that amounts to criminal conduct just to shout it, and the club felt it warranted it, your looking at a ban.

So excessive and aggressive swearing, especially if there is any racial, sectarian, xenophobic, or homophobic content is out.

You don't really have to ask this. The club position on stuff like this is perfectly clear. It's announced every week and it's on the website and it's entirely fair and justified.

But largely ignored by stewards and police when Celtic come to town.

I hear what you are saying. But the purpose of the post was to hear the fans' answers to the question.

No, I'm interested in the facts.

For example, finding out why the so-called 'nanny-state-culture' is killing the atmosphere. Why are people not singing the Hearts song more often? Is that to do with 'nanny-culture'? If so, how? If not, lets not blame 'nanny-culture'.

If people want to shout or sing certain things, but are afraid to, then lets hear what they are.

Having been to Tynecastle since I was young I was never "shocked" by anything I have heard.

Society has changed and some people need to accept racist outbursts, anti gay and bigotry is a no no.

I have no issues with that as all I want is good atmosphere, singing and chanting can still achieve that and be clean and funny.

"@#$% the hibs" things like that should be fine as if I take my kids to a game it would be with the understanding that they will hear bad language. Anyone who complains about swearing should be told to suck it up.

No different from going to a rock concert and complaining about being bumped into.... you just wouldn't.

This is just my opinion.

Is 'In Your Glasgow Slums' OK, or 'Sheep Shagging *******s'? If so, why is it, when calling someone an Irish Prick is not, when all the insults are based on where someone is from?

I would have no issues about myself or other folk using '**** Off Ref/Ya Hibby twat/Ya Rangers knob/Ya Celtic arse, etc, etc if i was there with my daughter.  Would question ****, but not overly bothered.  

'Get up you fat poof' would be fine if someone was faking an injury, you time wasting bald knobend' would also work.  Humerous chants are always good.

I don't do the bigot/racist/homophobic stuff (note, see above as fine), it doesn't add anything for my way of watching a match as it is generally (not just at Hearts/other public places) not acceptable any more.

What i think has happened is that the authorities, and club owners, have gone too far regarding what is 'acceptable' or not.  Swearing happens in schools, at the park, at home, on the TV and is pretty much accepted, so should be at the football. Bigoted/racist/homophobic stuff less so and rightly have no place at football match or anywhere else.

Person near me (who doesn't usually sit there) at the Celtic league cup game last season had a wee kid with him yet spent much of the game shouting abuse towards Griffiths about how much he wanted to kill him.

Other than being an obviously poor parental role model, it's not something I'd push him to be banned over. But I'm not convinced that sort of stuff helps the atmosphere, especially when it's an individual screaming while the rest of the stand is silent.

I think trying to reduce that sort of persistently excessive stuff is a way forward. I don't think folk are now scared to scream and swear when it's appropriate (e.g. an incident on the pitch) and that it's having an effect on atmosphere potential.

But it's a sensitive issue so Hearts need to tread on it carefully.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Is 'In Your Glasgow Slums' OK, or 'Sheep Shagging *******s'? If so, why is it, when calling someone an Irish Prick is not, when all the insults are based on where someone is from?

Or you fat B*****d, for example, prejudice against us fatties. Nanny state indeed, however that said its hard to argue ignorance is indeed acceptable.

Shooter McGavin

I would have no issues about myself or other folk using '**** Off Ref/Ya Hibby twat/Ya Rangers knob/Ya Celtic arse, etc, etc if i was there with my daughter. Would question ****, but not overly bothered.

'Get up you fat poof' would be fine if someone was faking an injury, you time wasting bald knobend' would also work. Humerous chants are always good.

I don't do the bigot/racist/homophobic stuff (note, see above as fine), it doesn't add anything for my way of watching a match as it is generally (not just at Hearts/other public places) not acceptable any more.

What i think has happened is that the authorities, and club owners, have gone too far regarding what is 'acceptable' or not. Swearing happens in schools, at the park, at home, on the TV and is pretty much accepted, so should be at the football. Bigoted/racist/homophobic stuff less so and rightly have no place at football match or anywhere else.

The sensitive souls among us fail to understand the massive difference between fans swearing and generally having a rant every now and then to a fan throwing bananas towards a black player and doing a nazi salute from the stands.

If the kind of person i'm on about has kids then I'd imagine they burst into tears everytime they hear a swear word.

I would have no issues about myself or other folk using '**** Off Ref/Ya Hibby twat/Ya Rangers knob/Ya Celtic arse, etc, etc if i was there with my daughter. Would question ****, but not overly bothered.

'Get up you fat poof' would be fine if someone was faking an injury, you time wasting bald knobend' would also work. Humerous chants are always good.

What i think has happened is that the authorities, and club owners, have gone too far regarding what is 'acceptable' or not. Swearing happens in schools, at the park, at home, on the TV and is pretty much accepted, so should be at the football. Bigoted/racist/homophobic stuff less so and rightly have no place at football match or anywhere else.

Totally agree

The sensitive souls among us fail to understand the massive difference between fans swearing and generally having a rant every now and then to a fan throwing bananas towards a black player and doing a nazi salute from the stands.

If the kind of person i'm on about has kids then I'd imagine they burst into tears everytime they hear a swear word.

What i can't work out is that, is it just the Club (and other clubs) being over sensitive, or are they genuinely getting complaints about swearing? If the latter, they cannot pander to those so sensitive that they cannot bear to hear a bad word, don't they watch TV after 9PM?

Neilson's Shank

Players feigning injury would traditionally be chastised for their lack of Scottish grit by the observation "get up ya poof" still think this should be acceptable but this would draw the ire of Stewards.

I hear plenty of swearing in the Gorgie stand (which is seen as the family stand). I have only ever seen one guy talked to from a steward, and he was going totally balistic for most of the 1st half. Swearing and general abuse to (hopefully) oppostion players is fine in general. I have no idea why the singing seems to have stopped these days. Certainly you never hear anything from section N any more so maybe one of the guys from there could explain the total lack of noise from them these days.

I just don't want to exist in a world where I can't call Dougie Imrie or Liam Craig a ***** :(

What i can't work out is that, is it just the Club (and other clubs) being over sensitive, or are they genuinely getting complaints about swearing? If the latter, they cannot pander to those so sensitive that they cannot bear to hear a bad word, don't they watch TV after 9PM?

My own view is that swearing by itself - although not great - should be accepted (not in family sections) indeed it comes naturally to many a fine Jambo, especially in light of some examples of ludicrous refereeing we've seen against us. 

...a bit disco

I just don't want to exist in a world where I can't call Dougie Imrie or Liam Craig a ***** :(

This.

Although, Darion MacKinnon might still get me banned.

It's only a 'nanny state' if you're being denied your 'right' to shout/sing bigoted/sectarian/racist stuff, or any other pish that doesn't belong in the year 2016.

People will always defend their right to "blow off steam" at the football, and that's fair enough, but personally, if there were kids sitting nearby I would always try to mind my language, and you should certainly be doing that anyway if it's your own kid sitting next to you.

Going to a football match though is a bit like getting behind the wheel of a car: it can turn the most mild-mannered punter into a raging arsehole.

To be honest, it takes a hell of a lot for me to get angry at games these days. I've been going for quite a long time now, and you see it all. Something like the Andy Davis/cheating linesman incident is the occasional exception to the rule but I never get wound up by Celtic's IRA stuff, Rangers' protestant/unionist/superiority stuff, or even the likes of Leigh Griffiths and Scott Brown doing their usual winding up antics.  Who cares? It's so predictable.

It's only a 'nanny state' if you're being denied your 'right' to shout/sing bigoted/sectarian/racist stuff, or any other pish that doesn't belong in the year 2016.

People will always defend their right to "blow off steam" at the football, and that's fair enough, but personally, if there were kids sitting nearby I would always try to mind my language, and you should certainly be doing that anyway if it's your own kid sitting next to you.

Going to a football match though is a bit like getting behind the wheel of a car: it can turn the most mild-mannered punter into a raging arsehole.

To be honest, it takes a hell of a lot for me to get angry at games these days. I've been going for quite a long time now, and you see it all. Something like the Andy Davis/cheating linesman incident is the occasional exception to the rule but I never get wound up by Celtic's IRA stuff, Rangers' protestant/unionist/superiority stuff, or even the likes of Leigh Griffiths and Scott Brown doing their usual winding up antics. Who cares? It's so predictable.

Spot on.

My boys are told what you hear at the football stays there and so far I've not heard anything from them.

Boy behind us in the Gorgie continually calling people 'see you next tuesdays' backed off without so much as a word being spoken. I just looked at him and then my kids. He got the message.

What's shouted/sung at football, stays at football ( for some anyway). It's traditionally a working class game, and the working class need to vent!!

Part of the issue is about whether the whole ground is considered a child-friendly environment or an adult environment. When I started attending in the late-80s/ early-90s it was definitely consider an adult environment and children brought in were brought in on the assumption they would be exposed to bad language. There now seems to be a view that the whole ground is a family/ child-friendly environment and at the extremes this is interpreted as meaning it is a 'no swearing' environment. This is at odds with the general move in society to a greater acceptance of swearing which makes the change in football feel even more glaring. I work in a middle class, public sector environment and swearing is common in conversation and not unknown in meetings It is bizarre to find myself worrying more at the football than in the office. I've always felt the comparison along the lines of "would you shout that in the cinema/ supermarket" is a bit false as I wouldn't burst into a chant in the supermarket either.

Growing up I viewed football as a place where adults could let off steam after a hard working week. The family enclosure/ stand was and should be the exception to this. Now if I swear at the ref I often end up feeling the stares of those around me (my desire to maintain a Buffalo Bill like zen state only ever seems to last for about 70minutes). Maybe instead of a family enclosure we now need a potty-mouth enclosure for those that struggle to keep their cool!

I'd say this is only a small part of the reason for less singing/ atmosphere which is tied in to a whole range of factors about how the 'match day experience' has evolved. Everything from all seated stadiums and tinned music to changes in drinking culture and consumerist expectations that having paid the supporter should be able to sit back and be entertained as a passive customer

Bazzas right boot

Even asking that question leaves me speechless.

Bazzas right boot

I'd sing a racist song, throw a can of beer and then start punching the person next to me, like the Hibs supporters have done in the last two matches.

As long as it stays in the football ground that's ok......

Even asking that question leaves me speechless.

Why does it leave you speechless?

Part of the issue is about whether the whole ground is considered a child-friendly environment or an adult environment. When I started attending in the late-80s/ early-90s it was definitely consider an adult environment and children brought in were brought in on the assumption they would be exposed to bad language. There now seems to be a view that the whole ground is a family/ child-friendly environment and at the extremes this is interpreted as meaning it is a 'no swearing' environment. This is at odds with the general move in society to a greater acceptance of swearing which makes the change in football feel even more glaring. I work in a middle class, public sector environment and swearing is common in conversation and not unknown in meetings It is bizarre to find myself worrying more at the football than in the office. I've always felt the comparison along the lines of "would you shout that in the cinema/ supermarket" is a bit false as I wouldn't burst into a chant in the supermarket either.

Growing up I viewed football as a place where adults could let off steam after a hard working week. The family enclosure/ stand was and should be the exception to this. Now if I swear at the ref I often end up feeling the stares of those around me (my desire to maintain a Buffalo Bill like zen state only ever seems to last for about 70minutes). Maybe instead of a family enclosure we now need a potty-mouth enclosure for those that struggle to keep their cool!

I'd say this is only a small part of the reason for less singing/ atmosphere which is tied in to a whole range of factors about how the 'match day experience' has evolved. Everything from all seated stadiums and tinned music to changes in drinking culture and consumerist expectations that having paid the supporter should be able to sit back and be entertained as a passive customer

Not the worst idea I've ever heard.... however, difficult to implement!  Maybe the new main stand can be the swearing stand, expletives acceptable but any nonsense and you're out (like the aforementioned homophobic/racist stuff).

I actually ask my daughter to leave the room if I'm watching fitbaw and will never be at any games with them til they're older!  

I digress:  I don't see anything wrong in having a good swear at the ref/opposition players now and again, however, if there are any youngsters around me, I almost never swear and if I do, I apologise.  

It's difficult of course cause of the love you have for your team and you feel hurt if they are!

Oh, FTH :D

BRAVEHEART1874

they must be having a wee discusion about it on facebook first then the usuall wee gang will come on at the same time backing each other up ;) budge oot grass lines etc. but no anwer as to why they don't infact sing

It's only a 'nanny state' if you're being denied your 'right' to shout/sing bigoted/sectarian/racist stuff, or any other pish that doesn't belong in the year 2016.

People will always defend their right to "blow off steam" at the football, and that's fair enough, but personally, if there were kids sitting nearby I would always try to mind my language, and you should certainly be doing that anyway if it's your own kid sitting next to you.

Going to a football match though is a bit like getting behind the wheel of a car: it can turn the most mild-mannered punter into a raging arsehole.

To be honest, it takes a hell of a lot for me to get angry at games these days. I've been going for quite a long time now, and you see it all. Something like the Andy Davis/cheating linesman incident is the occasional exception to the rule but I never get wound up by Celtic's IRA stuff, Rangers' protestant/unionist/superiority stuff, or even the likes of Leigh Griffiths and Scott Brown doing their usual winding up antics. Who cares? It's so predictable.

Mirrors my views.

Though I will add, I get the going to the football 'blow of steam', however, it's a bit of a nonsense. Your there to watch a game of football not vent a weeks worth of frustration at a ref/player/fan or whatever.

It's not a rage clinic.

This 'blowing of steam' is a narrative some folk have created. In much the same way for others it's about 'tanked up with mates' or 'going for a pager', just their association.

Also seen a few people mention 'class' in posts, justifying swearing and going a bit mental. Since when did being working class act as a justification for acting like a loon? Whilst football is not a 'working class' sport 2016.

I have no issue with odd word slipping out, it happens. But loons going off every two min in nonsensical tirades, due to their life's being so shit that just full of rage and hatred should be turfed out imho.

Free speech is dead in this country and Tynecastle is just reflecting this. However I do wonder how far it will go. When Josh Magennis complained about being called Irish last season then it really had become laughable. It's only 10 years ago that "All the Hibees are gay" started being sung at a derby. When did we last here that at any Hearts game...? I loathe the OF fans with a vengeance but at least when they sing their sectarian songs they are sticking their fingers up to the "right on" brigade. You can't take hate out of football much less than you can take it out of society. Football is just a soft touch for PC. 

Archived