• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scott herbertson

Who is going to banjo the 13 year old?

going by the videos doubt if we'd get near enough

disgruntledfan

Going by the videos he reminds me a bit of Calvin Miller who also plays for Celtic, basically unplayable at his age group, so had to play in 15s and 20s 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Norman Hunter or Chopper Harris would not miss!!!! No matter how slippery :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In all seriousness, only a wee jape earlier, the really impressive thing about that kid many older players could learn from, he has his head up looking for a pass

Exposure at a young age, does it ever work?

Never did Gary Gle... sorry Scotty Rob... sorry Islam Feru... erm... Freddy Adu??

disgruntledfan

Certainly wont harm him and probably added about 40k onto his value as he has already made the papers. 

Jambof3tornado

Never did Gary Gle... sorry Scotty Rob... sorry Islam Feru... erm... Freddy Adu??

It was Feruz I was thinking of.

Surely too much pressure at 13?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It was Feruz I was thinking of.

Surely too much pressure at 13?

Depends. He will probably just love playing. Looks that way. With that sort of talent, he will be enjoying it I think

Genuine player development or a gimmick to promote Celtic youth policy?

When you see the photo a few posts earlier you do fear that the boy could get genuinely hurt in that environment.

kingantti1874

Ironically one of my mates is family through marriage to a relatively famous footballing family, (will remain nameless) they are of the opinion that removal of exposure by the introduction of youth leagues is one of the games major failings, having been exposed to playing in older age groups and with senior pros when young was off huge benefit in their opinion.

Footballfirst

Hamilton played midfielder Mark Hill in a Reserve match at age 13 in 2012.  The youngest to play in an official (adult) match is Scotland according to newspaper reports at the time.

No surprise though a few months later when he signed for Celtic a week after his 14th birthday.

Can't believe the majority of last posts have been to do with a wee Sellik player rather than how severely out played the Wee Jambos were tonight. Tactically, ability and physically, the U20's were a league below. Those worthy of a mention for Hearts were Mason, Buchanan and Godhino. Yes, Currie scored but that's all that was worth mentioning. Otherwise, he looked lost. Petkov (again) was poor. As much as it makes my fingers burn on the keys as I type this but Sellik were a joy to watch.

Things do not look rosy.

Footballfirst

Things do not look rosy.

I've said often enough that we are lacking in good prospects from U17 to U20.  We might get one or two out the group with a chance of making it with Hearts, but, for most of them the lower leagues will be their limit.

We do have good prospects at U16, but even their potential, albeit at a decent international standard, was shown up by comprehensive defeats to France by 4-0 and 2-0 last week.

Hopefully the lads involved will learn from their experience and drive themselves to become better all round players.

Hamilton played midfielder Mark Hill in a Reserve match at age 13 in 2012.  The youngest to play in an official (adult) match is Scotland according to newspaper reports at the time.

No surprise though a few months later when he signed for Celtic a week after his 14th birthday.

What happened to him? Googled it but nothing seems to be there, he should be 17 now, still at celtic?

I've said often enough that we are lacking in good prospects from U17 to U20. We might get one or two out the group with a chance of making it with Hearts, but, for most of them the lower leagues will be their limit.

We do have good prospects at U16, but even their potential, albeit at a decent international standard, was shown up by comprehensive defeats to France by 4-0 and 2-0 last week.

Hopefully the lads involved will learn from their experience and drive themselves to become better all round players.

Couldn't agree more. With Hearts accruing more cash in the last couple of seasons due to league, cup & Europe runs then they're falling into that old "buy foreign" trap which means no open doors from development for home grown talent.

Couldn't agree more. With Hearts accruing more cash in the last couple of seasons due to league, cup & Europe runs then they're falling into that old "buy foreign" trap which means no open doors from development for home grown talent.

Not sure of your point here. The club's stated strategy is exactly the opposite - it's to bring players through for the first team (which I assume is why we're quick to get rid of lads who we think won't make it - Oliver, McHattie, etc) while still remaining competitive on the park by bringing in good experienced players. As for the buy foreign trap, the signings of John Souttar and Tony Watt, and to  a lesser extent, Gavin Reilly, show we're on the lookout for good Scottish players if they fall within our budget. 

We are in the process of rebuilding the football side of the club from the ground up after Romanov neglected the youth system so there's bound to be a lean period. And yet in the last couple of seasons, Liam Smith and Jack Hamilton have made the breakthrough and Walker and Nicolson have further established themselves in the first team. Zanatta also got a few games before going out on loan. Paterson has also progressed to full cap level, Jordan McGhee is at an EPL club and B King is getting a regular game in Premiership. We won;t know about the true quality of those coming through for a couple of seasons but that seems like a decent return to me.

paulross1970

petkov again was shocking, he really looks lost and a wee break away from the team might allow him to work on his weaknesses and then be re-integrated to the team, don't like going after young boys but if he was 5 feet 8" he would not be anywhere close to this squad never mind starting. hopefully the coaches do something sooner as the boys confidence must be close to shattered. 

i agree that we don't have too many to come from this u20 squad, irving and reid are the best 2 hopes. from our u16s (they are starting for u17s every week) we have 6 or 7 who would walk into most academy teams, they have played 7 or 8 games against u17s and lost 1, when down to 9 men against rangers, rest won or drawn. this is where the next first team players will come from, as long as we don't release them and they end up at hibs.

i heard from a parent that every week there is 3-4 scouts watching the u17s, must be doing something right. 

irving and reid are the best 2 hopes. from our u16s (they are starting for u17s every week)

Irving and Reid don't play for the 17s at all. In fact I don't think either has turned out for the 17s at all this season. They are always in the 20s even though young. Agreed about their prospects though.

scott herbertson

Walter Kidd perhaps ?

My most vivid memory of Walter is him clattering over the gravel and into the side hoardings when he tried to take out John Barnes in the first minute of the Watford Hearts friendly in 1987 or thereabouts. Walter went in with serious intend to take ball and anything else in the way but ended up tackling air, then the gravel then the wall. Barnes skipped over him and crossed for Blissett to blast in a volley - a really good player will expose the merely eager

Having said that I think 16 should be the youngest anyone should play in an over 18s game

fabienleclerq

Celtic have a massive youth budget compared to ours they're going to win games. It's abouth how many can step from that environment to the first team not how many games they win at u20.

Celtic have a massive youth budget compared to ours they're going to win games. It's abouth how many can step from that environment to the first team not how many games they win at u20.

Was it not reported not that long ago that Celtic youths have a bigger budget than most of the teams in the SPFL?

Was it not reported not that long ago that Celtic youths have a bigger budget than most of the teams in the SPFL?

Livingston ****ed them 5-1 in the petrofac, 5-0 up at half time.

The Treasurer

I've said often enough that we are lacking in good prospects from U17 to U20.  We might get one or two out the group with a chance of making it with Hearts, but, for most of them the lower leagues will be their limit.

If we get one or two out of each group that makes it then it's about average.

Occasionally you will get a "golden generation" when 4 or 5 youngsters make it to the first team.

As long as we continue to produce the odd Paterson or Walker from each group of youngsters then I think we're doing ok.

Obviously we'd like 11 players to come through the ranks right through to the first team but it's never going to happen.

I still feel a reserve league would be of more benefit for both younger and older players rather than the current set-up.

If we get one or two out of each group that makes it then it's about average.

Occasionally you will get a "golden generation" when 4 or 5 youngsters make it to the first team.

As long as we continue to produce the odd Paterson or Walker from each group of youngsters then I think we're doing ok.

Obviously we'd like 11 players to come through the ranks right through to the first team but it's never going to happen.

I still feel a reserve league would be of more benefit for both younger and older players rather than the current set-up.

Bugger the reserve league I think sending the laddies out on loan will give them greater experience and learn them how to appreciate what they have also.

Celtic were without hendry, miller and nesbitt, 3 of their best players and I think one other away with Scotland.

Funtime Jambo

Can't believe the majority of last posts have been to do with a wee Sellik player rather than how severely out played the Wee Jambos were tonight. Tactically, ability and physically, the U20's were a league below. Those worthy of a mention for Hearts were Mason, Buchanan and Godhino. Yes, Currie scored but that's all that was worth mentioning. Otherwise, he looked lost. Petkov (again) was poor. As much as it makes my fingers burn on the keys as I type this but Sellik were a joy to watch.

Things do not look rosy.

Took this game in Celtic deserved their win but thought Hearts played well against a good Celtic team and think you are being harsh saying things dont look rosy,personally i dont think you have a clue what your talking about and totally disagree with everything you said leave it to the coaches,keep your chin up boys and move on to the next game.u20s DEVELOPMENT league!!!

This... They can outspend any other team in the U20s league... My boy plays U20s & some of the Celtic players are on 10 times his weekly wage... The facilities the U20s have at Lennoxtown are better than some SPFL clubs can manage... If memory serves, they were only beaten once last year, in the Scottish Youth Cup...? That said, the U20s side they had 2 years ago could have beaten a few Premiership teams, yet Kieran Tierney is the only one who has broken into the first team...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said it before you just wonder if academies are worth all the effort/cost. You'll be lucky if any of the Celtic boys make it. Take jack Aitchison. Good player, but competing against griffiths, dembele, Sinclair etc. Are the Celtic fans going to put up with a young boy coming in? Same thing at hearts.

We_are_the_Hearts

This... They can outspend any other team in the U20s league... My boy plays U20s & some of the Celtic players are on 10 times his weekly wage... The facilities the U20s have at Lennoxtown are better than some SPFL clubs can manage... If memory serves, they were only beaten once last year, in the Scottish Youth Cup...? That said, the U20s side they had 2 years ago could have beaten a few Premiership teams, yet Kieran Tierney is the only one who has broken into the first team...

This is the concern for me. They are clearly more talented than players at other teams but the chances are lots will fall out the game and someone with less talent at the likes of Falkirk will have a better career because they get a chance. We need a system where all the best players progress. Not sure what the answer is. It's something we have failed at for years

This is the concern for me. They are clearly more talented than players at other teams but the chances are lots will fall out the game and someone with less talent at the likes of Falkirk will have a better career because they get a chance. We need a system where all the best players progress. Not sure what the answer is. It's something we have failed at for years

The top clubs are the wrong ones for bringing through youth and unfortunately these are the ones who recruit the best young players. Why any parent lets their kid sign for Celtic or rangers.

Heard a story about John Fleck, when he was at Rangers youth... He was only 14 or 15 & was playing for the U19s at the time... Rumour was that Rangers were paying his parents mortgage & also for their family holidays, to ensure he stayed with the club...

Things do not look rosy.

Frankly our youth policy from 16 upwards is in complete disarray after years of neglect. I am not sure our signing policies at the top end are designed to fix it anytime soon either. Surprising really given the statements made when Levein took over. Mind you, the whole underage scene and development or non development of players in this country needs root and branch changes, not just at Hearts. No one is playing any meaningful competitive football until they reach 20/21 and get too old for age group football and go out on loan by which time its often too late for them to learn anything meaningful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Size wise especially, he looks like a midget compared to some of our players. [emoji846]

c7a157ebc33baebec1a9b76cd26c7009.jpg

A wee rub of the nads there :laugh4:

They may say he is 13 but he could be 30. Roger Milla was it? Always a question mark over his actual age!!! Tongue in cheek, but he is very small.

I don't think we should compare our Under 20 operation to Celtics to be honest. Every one of these Under 20 forums I say the same thing, it will take years to repair what was essentially left to decay in the darkest days

Archived