Are Rangers the most hated team in Scottish football?

Walter Bishop

The vast majority of Rangers fans are not bigots in any shape or form. Yes, they have some (as do we) but I detest a club's entire support being judged upon the most extreme element.

I see what youre saying but you have to admit that there just isnt an extremem element with that lot. Its the clear majority. I even have level headed business associates who are perceived to be professionals in their field but when I mention Celtic to them they turn into a flute playing, sash wearing bigot of the highest order. Maybe a lot of them hide it but its bubbling just under the surface.

Thats my experience of them.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wish jj was my dad

Regarding your last point, I believe that because we are regarded as "mini-huns" by other fans then some people feel they have to fall over themselves to demonstrate just how anti-Rangers they really are.

Regarding the national countries point, as surprising as it will be, I understand why some Celtic fans support ROI as their family and roots are from there. I do not understand for one single second why any Scottish Rangers fan would support England, be it a wind-up or not.

I can't stand either of them and my contempt tends to heighten whenever each of them are in the vicinity.  It's difficult to split two utterly despicable institutions that are built on hatred and bile.  Without those 'traditions'  I doubt either would be much bigger than Partick.  Over my lifetime, they've both managed to outdo each other with their scumbaggery.  The IRA love-in, playing the victims, green brigade and disruption of rememberance are probably matched by a no catholic policy, WATP, contempt for the rules and threats against those who shine a light on their cheating.  So a dishonourable draw for me.  

We are unfairly perceived as mini huns because we have a small minority of complete arseholes who wrap themselves up in tea towels and behave like Rangers fans when the green arse cheek are in town knowing full well that the club don't want them to do it.  That infuriates and embarrasses me in equal measure. With Celtic at least there are no grey areas and we don't have any fifth columnists who have a misguided affection for them.  

I'm going to say this and I'll be shot down. Admittedly I don't know that much about this area but I'll float a hypothesis anyway.

All loyalists might not be Rangers fans.

Still should be nowhere near our club and it's a not something I can understand people being involved in but it's not a prerequisite, loyalists existed before Rangers no? Or Sevco, that's a debate I'm too tired for at this stage, I don't really care how people address them.

I can't stand either of them and my contempt tends to heighten whenever each of them are in the vicinity.  It's difficult to split two utterly despicable institutions that are built on hatred and bile.  Without those 'traditions'  I doubt either would be much bigger than Partick.  Over my lifetime, they've both managed to outdo each other with their scumbaggery.  The IRA love-in, playing the victims, green brigade and disruption of rememberance are probably matched by a no catholic policy, WATP, contempt for the rules and threats against those who shine a light on their cheating.  So a dishonourable draw for me.  

We are unfairly perceived as mini huns because we have a small minority of complete arseholes who wrap themselves up in tea towels and behave like Rangers fans when the green arse cheek are in town knowing full well that the club don't want them to do it.  That infuriates and embarrasses me in equal measure. With Celtic at least there are no grey areas and we don't have any fifth columnists who have a misguided affection for them.  

This guy gets it. 

Bridge of Djoum

Don't know about most hated ''team''. For me, I absolutely despise both sets of fans equally, for different reasons.

The Real Maroonblood

Very good post.

Absolutely spot on in every respect.

Doctor FinnBarr

I am no expert of Spanish football but I don't believe this to be the case. I always thought Real Madrid were hated by pretty much everybody else.

And in the vast majority of other countries it is true: the biggest clubs are also the most hated and those accused of getting every refereeing decision/preferential treatment from the authorities etc etc. 

Not sure about that as I was in an Athletico bar after we played there and the locals cheered every win by a Spanish team that night (including Real), think it was 8/8 wins.

michael_bolton

I don't think that's historically accurate. Celtic were started to raise money for poor people in the east end of Glasgow. People who, for various reasons, couldn't count on anyone else for help. They were, and always have been, open to all. This is reflected in the Celtic support, which is much more diverse than the Rangers support. I think this diversity is the reason sectarian singing at Celtic home games has more or less disappeared in modern times. A large number of them are simply from other groups and not interested in that stuff. That creates a situation where sectarian singing is not socially acceptable within tha group as you'll probably upset somebody nearby.

Rangers are a different issue. Part of the identity of Rangers is hating catholics. Don't believe me? Spend a few minutes in a boozer with a group of Rangers fans. Have a peak at any online Rangers forum you like. Go to Ibrox and listen. Truly a club founded on the hatred of the outsider.

There are lots of reasons to hate Celtic, but to claim the two clubs are the same when it comes to bigotry is miles off the mark.

Doctor FinnBarr

I don't think that's historically accurate. Celtic were started to raise money for poor people in the east end of Glasgow. People who, for various reasons, couldn't count on anyone else for help. They were, and always have been, open to all. This is reflected in the Celtic support, which is much more diverse than the Rangers support. I think this diversity is the reason sectarian singing at Celtic home games has more or less disappeared in modern times. A large number of them are simply from other groups and not interested in that stuff. That creates a situation where sectarian singing is not socially acceptable within tha group as you'll probably upset somebody nearby.

Rangers are a different issue. Part of the identity of Rangers is hating catholics. Don't believe me? Spend a few minutes in a boozer with a group of Rangers fans. Have a peak at any online Rangers forum you like. Go to Ibrox and listen. Truly a club founded on the hatred of the outsider.

There are lots of reasons to hate Celtic, but to claim the two clubs are the same when it comes to bigotry is miles off the mark.

I work with loads of them, been called "as bad as a tarrier" this week due to pointing out the fact that their Scotlands youngest team

On the other side, I've never worked beside so many Declans, Brendans, Owens or John Pauls anywhere before!

Unfortunately, The  levels of intolerance and staggering capacity for scumbaggery shown by a large proportion of both fan bases makes the reasons for formation a side issue.  Little wonder the poster focuses on what he has probably experienced for decades.

michael_bolton

Unfortunately, The  levels of intolerance and staggering capacity for scumbaggery shown by a large proportion of both fan bases makes the reasons for formation a side issue.  Little wonder the poster focuses on what he has probably experienced for decades.

I think the away supports are comparable. However, attending a game at Celtic Park and attending a game at Ibrox are very different things.

Ibrox should be shut down. Saying they're both the same is poorly informed and basically lazy.

Imagine you had two neighbours in your street. One was a bit of an erse and constantly made out people were picking on him despite the fact that he had a huge Merc, owned a house in the south of France and had a helicopter in his garden. The other was a loudmouth racist who made it quite clear he intensely disliked anybody who wasn't a white protestant and considered them to be an inferior being. He also had a fancy car that he got by fiddling his taxes and did nothing but boast to his neighbours about it.

Would you say they were both just the same?

Rangers are a different issue. Part of the identity of Rangers is hating catholics. Don't believe me? Spend a few minutes in a boozer with a group of Rangers fans. Have a peak at any online Rangers forum you like. Go to Ibrox and listen. Truly a club founded on the hatred of the outsider

Do you have any way of backing anything you have just wrote?  Just a quick search on wikipedia (I know it may not be fully accurate) and what Ive found is to say the opposite of everything you have just wrote.

Hibs players had to be members of the CYMS. Catholic Young Men's Society to play then;

Celtic was founded in 1887 with the purpose of alleviating poverty in the immigrant Irish population in the East End of Glasgow.

One study showed that 74% of Celtic supporters identify themselves as Catholic, whereas only 10% identify as Protestant;

To say that one is better than the other when it comes to bigotry is miles off the mark

michael_bolton

Do you have any way of backing anything you have just wrote?  Just a quick search on wikipedia (I know it may not be fully accurate) and what Ive found is to say the opposite of everything you have just wrote.

Hibs players had to be members of the CYMS. Catholic Young Men's Society to play then;

Celtic was founded in 1887 with the purpose of alleviating poverty in the immigrant Irish population in the East End of Glasgow.

One study showed that 74% of Celtic supporters identify themselves as Catholic, whereas only 10% identify as Protestant;

To say that one is better than the other when it comes to bigotry is miles off the mark

How does it oppose what I said? It backs it up. The population of the east end weren't getting much help at that point. Despite that, Celtic were never exclusive to any group.The fact that one in ten supporters of what is assumed to be a Catholic club are protestants backs up my point. 

Do you think anything like one in ten rangers fans identify as Catholic ?

Bigotry is a necessary part of the rangers experience. Always has been. The same isn't true of Celtic to the same extent. 

michael_bolton

I've read the article myself and now see you omitted the section of the sentence with the rangers figures. Not surprised, since they completely back up my point by showing that only two percent of rangers fans identify as Catholic. That means protestants make up the support of Celtic at a ratio of five times to that that Catholics support rangers. 

Basically because Catholics are not and never have been welcome at rangers. 

I've read the article myself and now see you omitted the section of the sentence with the rangers figures. Not surprised, since they completely back up my point by showing that only two percent of rangers fans identify as Catholic. That means protestants make up the support of Celtic at a ratio of five times to that that Catholics support rangers. 

Basically because Catholics are not and never have been welcome at rangers. 

You said Celtic are diverse when Infact you cannot back that up.  

42% of Scotlands population is protestant while there is only 16% is roman catholic.  So obviously the ratios are going to be different.

michael_bolton

You said Celtic are diverse when Infact you cannot back that up.  I never said rangers were.

42% of Scotlands population is protestant while there is only 16% is roman catholic.  So obviously the ratios are going to be different.

That's a ratio of three to one in the population. The crossover ratioin the supports is five to one. Clearly shows protestants are more comfortable at Celtic than Catholics are at rangers. It's very plain. 

I said Celtics support in terms of protestants being welcome is more diverse than rangers. The figures you provided, but tried to hide, back that up. 

That's a ratio of three to one in the population. The crossover ratioin the supports is five to one. Clearly shows protestants are more comfortable at Celtic than Catholics are at rangers. It's very plain. 

I said Celtics support in terms of protestants being welcome is more diverse than rangers. The figures you provided, but tried to hide, back that up. 

What did I try to hide?  Your the one who said Celtic are Diverse, who mentioned Rangers?

michael_bolton

What did I try to hide?  Your the one who said Celtic are Diverse, who mentioned Rangers?

I did. In the post you quoted. I didn't say Celtic were diverse. I said they were much more diverse than rangers. Not the same thing. 

You've backed me up. Which is nice. 

I did. In the post you quoted. I didn't say Celtic were diverse. I said they were much more diverse than rangers. Not the same thing. 

You've backed me up. Which is nice. 

Sound Mate, First time I've ever met a Celtic sympathiser "Hearts Fan". Im no mathematician but clearly Rangers and Celtic are in a League of there own compared to the rest of Scottish Football on sectarianism give or take a 1% here or there. 

I've sat in the home end at Celtic Park v Hearts. It was a revolting experience. Place was full of drunk arseholes who utterly despise Hearts. I lost count of the amount of comments about "Prods". This was admittedly back in the Csaba days, but I can't say I've seen any major changes that would have affected things since.

i wish jj was my dad

I confess my ignorance about Celtic's history.  I'm only vaguely aware of the brother walfrid / charity for the poor etc.  I can speak for my own experience and lifetime.  Parkhead was every bit as ugly if not worse when I started travelling in the 80s and I can certainly recall arseholes dressed as paramilitaries pretending to shoot me.  I stopped travelling to both cesspits of bile about 15 years ago.  Maybe it was becoming a Dad that did it but I realised couldn't enjoy watching football in that environment any longer.  

Doesn't matter how they started, it's where they are now.

Both hated.

Folk defending Celtic.

Wurrrrrr just politikalllll pallllll, up the ra.

Take it the blatantly obvious sectarian terminology used in their old firm display was alright then? If you think they don't hate Protestants you're deluded.

Astonishing they don't have to make the arguments for themselves these days, they've got Hearts fans doing it for them. Bigoted scumbags, same as Rangers in that respect.

Folk defending Celtic.

Wurrrrrr just politikalllll pallllll, up the ra.

Take it the blatantly obvious sectarian terminology used in their old firm display was alright then? If you think they don't hate Protestants you're deluded.

Astonishing they don't have to make the arguments for themselves these days, they've got Hearts fans doing it for them. Bigoted scumbags, same as Rangers in that respect.

In the rush to hate sevco, folk have started a fashion for defending celtic and their fans. We are even being treated to history lessons on their worthy roots.

Did this trend start with their Palestine display?

Bazzas right boot

All for attacking rangers, but Celtic should not be defended, they hate us, thier games v us, imo have, the most poisonous atmosphere, for two reasons they sing their ira and Irish pish and it also brings out the worst in our support, many of them see us as diet Huns as well, which fuels thier fire.

Our games v rangers generally aren't as bad, however since they have been liquidated, as Ibrox two year ago shown the mini cousin routine is thinning.

Overall, I think most Scottish football fans dislike rangers more, their liquidation, their openly anti snp and in some cases anti Scottish stance has made Ibrox a very exclusive club and very hard for some people to relate too.

In about a month's time when Celtic embarrass Scotland on rememberence day/ week, it will be obvious why they are rotten as well.

Both are rotten, in Scotland overall, Rangers might just be winning the most hated contest.

I'm not quoting all the stuff posted about Celtic, suffice to say the vast majority of it is a crock of Irish shit.

I know an elderly couple many years ago both avid Celtic fans and Staunch Catholic. They were actually Hibs fans and turned to Celtic because Hibs eventually started signing Protestant players and turned their back on they policy of having to be Catholic to play for them. They chose To follow Celtic because they saw Celtic as an ANTI Protestant establishment

Celtic were founded by Irish to solely help the Irish Catholics. How much more feckin sectarian and bigoted can you get ?

Rangers definitely have their issues and flaws regarding sectarianism but let's never pretend Celtic are better in any way or any less sectarian and bigoted.

Hearts fans defending Celtic I've seen it all now

:facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to hate who ever Hearts are playing. Like on Saturday I came away from Tynie absolutely despising Ross County.

Motherwells turn next.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

I'm not quoting all the stuff posted about Celtic, suffice to say the vast majority of it is a crock of Irish shit.

I know an elderly couple many years ago both avid Celtic fans and Staunch Catholic. They were actually Hibs fans and turned to Celtic because Hibs eventually started signing Protestant players and turned their back on they policy of having to be Catholic to play for them. They chose To follow Celtic because they saw Celtic as an ANTI Protestant establishment

Celtic were founded by Irish to solely help the Irish Catholics. How much more feckin sectarian and bigoted can you get ?

Rangers definitely have their issues and flaws regarding sectarianism but let's never pretend Celtic are better in any way or any less sectarian and bigoted.

Outside of Kickback no Hearts fan defends Celtic.

Son Of Anarchy

Celtic fans should be put down as the rabid lowlife scum they are. They are undefendable in my book. So are sevco. If you take the average hobbit inbred jakey, taught it nothing but hate and gave it religion then that's the weegie arsecheeks. I'll always hate the hobbits more than anything but the cheeks come close enough to put a fag paper between now. Anyone who arselicks either cheek is as low as they are and only the hobbits are lower. **** em all.

I'm going to say this and I'll be shot down. Admittedly I don't know that much about this area but I'll float a hypothesis anyway.

All loyalists might not be Rangers fans.

Still should be nowhere near our club and it's a not something I can understand people being involved in but it's not a prerequisite, loyalists existed before Rangers no? Or Sevco, that's a debate I'm too tired for at this stage, I don't really care how people address them.

I think you do care..sad! Trying to defend a team that has a majority of fans who are bigots is ridiculous. How many of them fought to have the non signing of catholics policy changed...none.....it took the strength of Graeme Souness (Hearts fan) to change this policy!

I think you do care..sad! Trying to defend a team that has a majority of fans who are bigots is ridiculous. How many of them fought to have the non signing of catholics policy changed...none.....it took the strength of Graeme Souness (Hearts fan) to change this policy!

I come from a mixed family and frankly you sound more than a little bigoted.

michael_bolton

The old dears you knew can't have been very bright then, as Celtic have never had such a policy. Right from the beginning they operated an open to all policy. Seems incredible this fictitious old couple decided to give up supporting Hibs in order to support a club that has always fielded and employed protestants.

Even going back decades Celtic had players who were masons.

This old couple you speak of were either thick as mince or didn't exist.

Also, with specific reference to the part I have highlighted, why do you think it might have been deemed necessary to provide support to the immigrant catholic community in 19th century Scotland? Take your time, think it over. Less to do with bigotry than charity.

Ian Wright speaks well in the DR ( Daily Ranger or Daily Rebel, depending if your a Tim or hun)

FORMER Celtic striker Ian Wright has blasted the Old Firm fixture as being "vile" and "fuelled by hatred".

The Arsenal legend and former England forward condemned the Celtic versus Rangers fixture in his new autobiography, A Life In Football , where he admits to being naive about the hatred.

Wright only spent a short time at Celtic Park - making eight appearances and scoring three goals during the 1999-2000 season - after being brought to Glasgow's east end by Hoops manager John Barnes.

Writing in his book, TV pundit Wright said: ?This wasn?t football, listening to songs being sung from the start to the finish of the game saying ?**** the Pope and the IRA?, or you?re in your car and people start banging on the roof shouting ?No retreat! No surrender!?

"At first, I didn?t even know what they were talking about.

?There was a vile atmosphere, fuelled by hatred, especially at the Old Firm derby. Fans love to talk about it like it?s this unbelievable thing!

"It?s not an unbelievable thing: it?s a nasty, tense, unsporting environment of super-intense religious bigotry that?s nothing to do with sport.?

Wright also goes on to state how he believes that the Scottish media are biased in favour of the blue half of the Glasgow divide stating: ?The press up there seemed to be very pro- Rangers , too, so journalists had so much fun ridiculing me and my so-called lack of form up there.?

We_are_the_Hearts

Ian Wright speaks well in the DR ( Daily Ranger or Daily Rebel, depending if your a Tim or hun)

FORMER Celtic striker Ian Wright has blasted the Old Firm fixture as being "vile" and "fuelled by hatred".

The Arsenal legend and former England forward condemned the Celtic versus Rangers fixture in his new autobiography, A Life In Football , where he admits to being naive about the hatred.

Wright only spent a short time at Celtic Park - making eight appearances and scoring three goals during the 1999-2000 season - after being brought to Glasgow's east end by Hoops manager John Barnes.

Writing in his book, TV pundit Wright said: ?This wasn?t football, listening to songs being sung from the start to the finish of the game saying ?**** the Pope and the IRA?, or you?re in your car and people start banging on the roof shouting ?No retreat! No surrender!?

?There was a vile atmosphere, fuelled by hatred, especially at the Old Firm derby. Fans love to talk about it like it?s this unbelievable thing!

"It?s not an unbelievable thing: it?s a nasty, tense, unsporting environment of super-intense religious bigotry that?s nothing to do with sport.?

Wright also goes on to state how he believes that the Scottish media are biased in favour of the blue half of the Glasgow divide stating: ?The press up there seemed to be very pro- Rangers , too, so journalists had so much fun ridiculing me and my so-called lack of form up there.?

Wright has nailed it. Will anyone pay attention? Will they ****..........................bigotry and sectarianism makes money for the clubs and the media. 

A lot of people going off in tangents on this. The question was a simple one; Are Rangers the most hated club in Scotland?

For me the answer is a simple one; yes they were.

Brilliantly put

I hate Celtic and all the Irish rubbish that they insist on holding on to but Rangers take the whole bigotry thing to a different level.   The night after the Scottish Independence vote a lot of Yes voters headed up to George Square to basically have a gathering of consolation.  This was invaded by hundreds of Rangers fans with Union Jacks where fighting then ensued.  They are not just a scum of a football club, they take it to every level of life.  I hate them with a passion.  They are a stain on our society.

Hate both Rangers and Celtic. Sometimes I hate Rangers more and other times I hate Celtic more. Depends what mood I'm in.

I'm the same.  Depends which club has done the cuntiest thing most recently.  Hibs are miles behind those two in the hatred stakes though.

I hate Celtic and all the Irish rubbish that they insist on holding on to but Rangers take the whole bigotry thing to a different level.   The night after the Scottish Independence vote a lot of Yes voters headed up to George Square to basically have a gathering of consolation.  This was invaded by hundreds of Rangers fans with Union Jacks where fighting then ensued.  They are not just a scum of a football club, they take it to every level of life.  I hate them with a passion.  They are a stain on our society.

More drivel that not put right becomes fact. The Yes supporters had taken over George Sq the night before and for a couple of hours on the Friday afternoon.

No voters then organised to go later on at 6pm for a celebration. Except the Yes supporters decided to 'hang around'.

I was there and can vouch the real first bit of bother started when a full bottle of Irn Bru was launched from the Nats side, then, I kid you not, a bike was thrown at the No crowd. Up to this point it had been the normal 'football type, come ahead type nonsense'.

The Yes supporters weren't even meant to be there at the time the trouble started.

No danger. It's just banter. Scottish football needs the old firm. Wrighty just doesnt get it.

The simple truth is yes they are. The way they feel entitled to success after letting their club die is unbelievable. I predict that once they realise that they no longer have the finance to challenge Celtic and they are consigned to also ran mediocrity then their crowds will drop off significantly as they did with the first incarnation in the early 80s.

On a different note I find it difficult to ever forget my experience when I went to see the Pope at Bellahouston park in 1982. The bus we were on was running late and we had to park quite far from the park itself. Where all the buses were parked a crowd of people bedecked in Rangers tops were haranguing everyone going to the park. My grandmother (in her 60s at the time) and my mum were spat on and I was punched in the face by a grown man. I was all of 11 at the time. Glasgow constabulary observed the scene and told us to hurry up to the ******* park. They are vile scum and if they are not actively involved in sectarianism they certainly perpetuate it in Scottish society.

I hate Celtic as well, I fully remember how all the buses were regularly bricked in the 80s and their fans behaviour at Tynecastle has been appalling but Rangers are in my opinion worse.

You do realise Celtic also used EBT's for many years and won trophies and titles whilst using them ? The only difference was When Hector started sniffing around all the clubs Celtic along with Arsenal and a few others settled on a reduced deal that then to get them off the hook and free from the HMRC. The monies they had to pay were still pocket change compared to what the real amount would have been had they been paying the proper tax from day one. So to castigate Sevco for cheating you also have to include Celtic.

Rangers were offered the same deal at the time but Murray because of his arrogance and who he knew felt he and Rangers were untouchable

You mean:

There were a number of clubs that used EBTs when they thought they were legal tax avoidance schemes.

When HMRC investigated and pointed out they were illegal tax evasion schemes, whilst denying liability, a number of teams said, fair enough we'll pay an amount towards this and won't do it again.

Rangers didn't.

Archived