Are Rangers the most hated team in Scottish football?

Walter Bishop

Some still do, I also know Hearts fans that did the exact same, and Celtic fans supporting ROI

Mostly as you say it's was/is intended to piss off and annoy other fans there are the odd few on all sides that do genuinely think that way for real though.

Have you found a developing pattern in here when anyone says anything remotely against the run of play regarding Rangers they are immediately deemed duet Huns or Huns without a bus fare and told to F off to bearsden etc. but whenever anyone says anything nice or was to say anything that isn't detrimental to Celtic they are not called mini Tims or told to F off to kerrydale street.

Seems people are fair game to be called Huns but not Tims wonder why that is and what way of thinking these people are that say this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding your last point, I believe that because we are regarded as "mini-huns" by other fans then some people feel they have to fall over themselves to demonstrate just how anti-Rangers they really are.

Regarding the national countries point, as surprising as it will be, I understand why some Celtic fans support ROI as their family and roots are from there. I do not understand for one single second why any Scottish Rangers fan would support England, be it a wind-up or not.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is true though.

If you ask fans of clubs from other countries, they will claim the biggest clubs sometimes get an advantage that other, smaller clubs, don't get.

Yep, but some people in Scotland are way to blinkered (or thick) to realise that simple fact.

Reaction I've seen today on social media appears to say so! Thoughts?

They are Scotlands embarrassment and definitely the most hated. Well done Sevco you have won this outright!

Do people actually use words like "orc" or "hobo" in real life?

I have heard someone use "hobo" once and I absolutely cringed.

Regarding your last point, I believe that because we are regarded as "mini-huns" by other fans then some people feel they have to fall over themselves to demonstrate just how anti-Rangers they really are.

Regarding the national countries point, as surprising as it will be, I understand why some Celtic fans support ROI as their family and roots are from there. I do not understand for one single second why any Scottish Rangers fan would support England, be it a wind-up or not.

This totally agree!

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

It is true though.

If you ask fans of clubs from other countries, they will claim the biggest clubs sometimes get an advantage that other, smaller clubs, don't get.

Well I've already said that it's not true in Spain and I was backed up by Morgan.

There is a clear advantage given to the old firm. It's not even debatable. Referees are scared to give decisions against them. Warburton can strut around the pitch leaving saliva dripping down the official's faces while Robbie gets sent to the stand for sarcastically clapping.

4 red card should have been given to both of them recently. Now I'd never expect a red card every time but two were as clear as ****ing day.

I do get that part about people's family roots etc however why should that have others belittling them or calling them bigots and hating them? Equally Rangers fans or other fans will have English family roots so the same process applies doesn't it? My Grandfather was English I have English AND Irish relatives, as will many people if they go back their family tree. I was born in Scotland though I'm Scottish therefore I support Scotland. I could though by following your logic support England or ROI.

The sad thing is I'd be called a bigot if I chose England and called nothing if I chose ROI in the eyes of some.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Yep, but some people in Scotland are way to blinkered (or thick) to realise that simple fact.

You've been conditioned by family to take the big blue boaby without as much as a yelp so I won't hold it against you.

I do get that part about people's family roots etc however why should that have others belittling them or calling them bigots and hating them? Equally Rangers fans or other fans will have English family roots so the same process applies doesn't it? My Grandfather was English I have English AND Irish relatives, as will many people if they go back their family tree. I was born in Scotland though I'm Scottish therefore I support Scotland. I could though by following your logic support England or ROI.

The sad thing is I'd be called a bigot if I chose England and called nothing if I chose ROI in the eyes of some.

Yeah, I get that, but (particularly in the West of Scotland) people with Irish roots are brought up by their family to be extremely proud of them and to see themselves as essentially Irish. I would wager that you weren't brought up to feel anything other than Scottish.

Also, the Rangers' fans reasoning for supporting England was absolutely nothing to do with where their roots were, it was simply to wind up everybody else. And it was/is pathetic.

You've been conditioned by family to take the big blue boaby without as much as a yelp so I won't hold it against you.

A quite brilliant contribution to this thread. What a quality addition to this debating forum you are :)

Well I've already said that it's not true in Spain and I was backed up by Morgan.

I am no expert of Spanish football but I don't believe this to be the case. I always thought Real Madrid were hated by pretty much everybody else.

And in the vast majority of other countries it is true: the biggest clubs are also the most hated and those accused of getting every refereeing decision/preferential treatment from the authorities etc etc. 

There is a clear advantage given to the old firm. It's not even debatable. Referees are scared to give decisions against them. Warburton can strut around the pitch leaving saliva dripping down the official's faces while Robbie gets sent to the stand for sarcastically clapping.

4 red card should have been given to both of them recently. Now I'd never expect a red card every time but two were as clear as ******* day.

With respect, i'd rather base my opinion on the views of many opposition players, managers and fans of clubs who feel they have been unfairly disadvantaged rather than....Morgan !!

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

A quite brilliant contribution to this thread. What a quality addition to this debating forum you are :)

You're clearly blinkered (or too thick) to realise you stick up for your beloved Rangers at every opportunity.

You contribute to sticking up for Rangers and not much else.

I am no expert of Spanish football but I don't believe this to be the case. I always thought Real Madrid were hated by pretty much everybody else.

And in the vast majority of other countries it is true: the biggest clubs are also the most hated and those accused of getting every refereeing decision/preferential treatment from the authorities etc etc. 

I thought this was widely recognised......seems not !

By The Light..

Suppose if most Celtic fans and most Aberdeen fans hate them then yes Rangers are the most hated team in Scottish football. This is down to the size of those two clubs support.

For the record i dont hate them. Like to see them get pumped every now and again though, like every team that doesnt have Heart in its name.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

With respect, i'd rather base my opinion on the views of many opposition players, managers and fans of clubs who feel they have been unfairly disadvantaged rather than....Morgan !!

I know a few Atletico fans who have said people don't really mind Barcelona over in Spain. I didn't just make it up.

Where are your examples?

Suppose if most Celtic fans and most Aberdeen fans hate them then yes Rangers are the most hated team in Scottish football. This is down to the size of those two clubs support.

For the record i dont hate them. Like to see them get pumped every now and again though, like every team that doesnt have Heart in its name.

Add Hibs in there and you have three of the five best supported clubs in Scotland. 

I know a few Atletico fans who have said they people don't really mind Barcelona over in Spain. I didn't just make it up.

Where are your examples?

Remind me who the rivals of Atl?tico are? I would say, "are you thick?" but..... 

I know a few Atletico fans who have said people don't really mind Barcelona over in Spain. I didn't just make it up.

Where are your examples?

You want me to document instances of grievance from other European countries, including England, as to the reasons why the bigger clubs are disliked ?

Pay me by the word and i'll think about it !

Off the top of my head, I can think of a club in just about every European country disliked because of their size and perceived unfair advantage ...Man Utd....Juve...Real Madrid....Bayern...etc !

Thats because you consider yourself Scottish not British

Yeah, I get that, but (particularly in the West of Scotland) people with Irish roots are brought up by their family to be extremely proud of them and to see themselves as essentially Irish. I would wager that you weren't brought up to feel anything other than Scottish.

Also, the Rangers' fans reasoning for supporting England was absolutely nothing to do with where their roots were, it was simply to wind up everybody else. And it was/is pathetic.

Agreed I was never brought up to be anything other than Scottish. Do you not think that says more about Celtic fans then having this kind of association with Ireland when most of them were probably born in Scotland along with their parents and maybe even grandparents? Most would probably have to go back 3 generations or more to find an immediate relation (i.e. Great grandfather/mother) from Ireland many count their Irish heritage based on supporting Celtic or because they have some distant cousin that married someone called O'Donnell, like mentioned already Celtic are very good at hiding behind their bigotry and calling it politically motivated or their heritage.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Remind me who the rivals of Atl?tico are? I would say, "are you thick?" but.....

By your logic we shouldn't mind the old firm because they pump Hibs regularly?

Rangers don't receive an unfair advantage? :laugh: *******

We've done worse than both of the things you've mentioned...

It's about who's the worst, not whose done the worst thing.

The entirety of our support has not done so at any match in our history, whereas the same can't be said for Hibs. Or Rangers for that matter.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

You want me to document instances of grievance from other European countries, including England, as to the reasons why the bigger clubs are disliked ?

Pay me by the word and i'll think about it !

Off the top of my head, I can think of a club in just about every European country disliked because of their size and perceived unfair advantage ...Man Utd....Juve...Real Madrid....Bayern...etc !

Everyone knows Juventus and Madrid are corrupt as ****.

Man U maybe.

Bayern? now you just saying names of big clubs.

Agreed I was never brought up to be anything other than Scottish. Do you not think that says more about Celtic fans then having this kind of association with Ireland when most of them were probably born in Scotland along with their parents and maybe even grandparents? Most would probably have to go back 3 generations or more to find an immediate relation (i.e. Great grandfather/mother) from Ireland many count their Irish heritage based on supporting Celtic or because they have some distant cousin that married someone called O'Donnell, like mentioned already Celtic are very good at hiding behind their bigotry and calling it politically motivated or their heritage.

I think many of them could go back far fewer generations than three to find an immediate relation. Even then, I like tradition and roots and I respect that they feel Irish. Similarly, if you take a family from Pakistan who moved here years ago, have kids here, their kids have kids here etc then I would not be appalled to discover that the grandkids/great grandkids still consider themselves Pakistani.

By your logic we shouldn't mind the old firm because they pump Hibs regularly?

Rangers don't receive an unfair advantage? :laugh: *******

Your first point: really????

Your second point: when did I say that? AGAIN............. one post of mine will do. But once again you will not be able to find one because I have never said that. I am getting a little fed up of you making up things that I have never said (like being anti-Catholic). I think Rangers and Celtic both get an unfair advantage from the referees and SFA. There is little doubt about that. But the biggest teams in other countries also have that unfair privilege. Try opening your eyes to beyond hating the Old Firm and you may learn something :) 

I think many of them could go back far fewer generations than three to find an immediate relation. Even then, I like tradition and roots and I respect that they feel Irish. Similarly, if you take a family from Pakistan who moved here years ago, have kids here, their kids have kids here etc then I would not be appalled to discover that the grandkids/great grandkids still consider themselves Pakistani.

I'm not disagreeing, it leads back to the point I made originally about for some people Rangers fans are bigots etc for maybe expressing opinions or support for Northern Ireland when we know very well many of them come from there or have family there, but when Celtic fans support or give opinions on ROI it's ok (in the eyes of some

People) whereas everyone is entitled to support or follow whoever they want if it's because of "heritage/roots" and similarly they are entitled to class themselves as whatever based on family roots.

Everyone knows Juventus and Madrid are corrupt as ****.

Man U maybe.

Bayern? now you just saying names of big clubs.

Listen, mate, I was replying to your post ( 147 ) in which you stated that the biggest clubs were not disliked because of their size or other reasons.

Your first line in the above post now seems to be agreeing with what I, and BB, were saying.

What's it to be ?

I don't think any team can come near East Stirling when it comes to hate:-)

I once met a stirling albion casual once who did 3 years for fighting with east stirling.

No joke.

Quite proud he was.

Of course they are, and for good reason.

You couldn't invent Rangers today. The notion of a club with the 'traditions' and world view of them being acceptable would be laughed out of town.

Celtic are a bunch of slags too, but the difference is that there's actually a reasonable number of Celtic fans who don't subscribe the the nasty stuff some of them get involved with. For example, how often do you get widespread sectarian singing at Celtic Park? Basically never in the modern era. At Ibrox it is commonplace as their support is basically rammed full of bigots and socially undesirable types.

You also get protestant Celtic supporters. I know quite a few. It's not all that uncommon in the west. Rangers are a much more exclusive bunch. They are basically a club that exists to hate things. Anything that is not like them.

Celtic make any right minded person sick with their hysterical myth-building and paranoia, but as a club they don't have the same kind of top to bottom nastiness of Rangers. Hibs don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. Rangers are far and away the worst thing about Scottish football.

This sums it up well for me.

No other club comes close, I dislike Celtic but not even close to how much I dislike Rangers. Too many reasons to list

As for Hibs, they are just rivals and I want to see them lose there's no real malice there, it's just a rivalry based on geographical location and historic rivalry, I bear them no ill will.

It's a funny one though, because if Hibs play Rangers, the rivalry outweighs the hatred and I still want Hibs to lose (but then want the ground to open up and swallow Rangers)

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Your first point: really????

Your second point: when did I say that? AGAIN............. one post of mine will do. But once again you will not be able to find one because I have never said that. I am getting a little fed up of you making up things that I have never said (like being anti-Catholic). I think Rangers and Celtic both get an unfair advantage from the referees and SFA. There is little doubt about that. But the biggest teams in other countries also have that unfair privilege. Try opening your eyes to beyond hating the Old Firm and you may learn something :)

So Rangers received an unfair advantage but no more than big clubs in other countries? :vrface:

You really can't see through those blue tinted specs so I'll leave it there.

FWIW I don't think you're anti-catholic and can't remember saying anything of the sort. You seem the decent sort when your not constantly defending Rangers at every opportunity.

I don't like both the arse cheeks due to their influence in the game. I agree with most of your points. The majority of fans from all clubs are decent people and saying all fans of any club are scum is lazy and ignorant in the extreme.

I'm not disagreeing, it leads back to the point I made originally about for some people Rangers fans are bigots etc for maybe expressing opinions or support for Northern Ireland when we know very well many of them come from there or have family there, but when Celtic fans support or give opinions on ROI it's ok (in the eyes of some

People) whereas everyone is entitled to support or follow whoever they want if it's because of "heritage/roots" and similarly they are entitled to class themselves as whatever based on family roots.

I agree with this. Many Rangers fans will have roots in Northern Ireland and I have no issue with them celebrating those roots (the same as Celtic with ROI). It is the England (non) connection that I detest. 

So Rangers received an unfair advantage but no more than big clubs in other countries? :vrface:

You really can't see through those blue tinted specs so I'll leave it there.

FWIW I don't think you're anti-catholic and can't remember saying anything of the sort. You seem the decent sort when your not constantly defending Rangers at every opportunity.

I don't like both the arse cheeks due to their influence in the game. I agree with most of your points. The majority of fans from all clubs are decent people and saying all fans of any club are scum is lazy and ignorant in the extreme.

Fair enough :) 

You're clearly blinkered (or too thick) to realise you stick up for your beloved Rangers at every opportunity.

You contribute to sticking up for Rangers and not much else.

Pot kettle

Rudi-Mental, on 26 Sept 2016 - 6:31 PM, said:

Careful now or someone might tell ya to feck of to the Bearsden   :tiny:

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Listen, mate, I was replying to your post ( 147 ) in which you stated that the biggest clubs were not disliked because of their size or other reasons.

Your first line in the above post now seems to be agreeing with what I, and BB, were saying.

What's it to be ?

People don't like Juventus and Real but you can liken them to the Old Firm here eg corruption.

People don't dislike clubs due to how big they are. They dislike them due to their actions.

Bazzas right boot

Funnily enough I have a relative who's a well known Rangers fan has been all his life known very well around Ibrox and has had a season ticket for some 40+ years he has also never missed a Scotland game since the 70's he's an equally well Known and prominent member of the TA. He's followed both Rangers and Scotland all over the world. Funny how some people views can be warped by their intolerances isn't it.

That's a family member, of the Rangers fans I know in my local none of them and I literally mean none of them hate Scotland, they all cheered as much as anyone during the last Scotland match against Malta when we scored.

There are exceptions, however I could hammer you with lots of photos, that would back me up, along with a link to bears den.

Always exceptions, but I don't see how you can look at a rangers support in general and say they care for Scotland.

Celtic couldn't care less either, both clubs wishing the two Irish national teams luck proves this.

People don't like Juventus and Real but you can liken them to the Old Firm here eg corruption.

People don't dislike clubs due to how big they are. They dislike them due to their actions.

People (myself included) dislike big, successful clubs and then find reasons to claim that their success is unfair. Some of those reasons are justified, others not.

We're going round in circles here.....their size determines how they can influence officials and, in turn, become more corrupt.

Smaller clubs' fans dislike them because their size allows them to carry out all manner of shenanigans.

Can we stop now....?

Bazzas right boot

Btw, the answer is yes.

They have a song and everything for it.

They don't care, either, apparently.

There are exceptions, however I could hammer you with lots of photos, that would back me up, along with a link to bears den.

Always exceptions, but I don't see how you can look at a rangers support in general and say they care for Scotland.

Celtic couldn't care less either, both clubs wishing the two Irish national teams luck proves this.

I was going to post this earlier in a reply to BB I think but just left it but I think this post is worth the reply now.

I see both the OF as the same knuckle dragging bigots on opposite sides and their attitudes and opinions and beliefs are laughable.

On one side we have Rangers a Scottish football team from Glasgow who's set of fans sing about Northern Ireland and wave Ulster flags and UJ's and hate all things Irish and want to play in England because they deem Scottish football beneath them.

In the other side we have Celtic a Scottish football club from Glasgow who's fans sing about being Irish and wave Irish Tri-colours and hate all things British but want to play in England because they deem Scottish football beneath them.

A more confused, cave dwelling bunch of inbred knuckle draggers you wont find on this planet.

Is it any wonder other countries look on us with so much disdain when they see how that lot behave and think

Bazzas right boot

I was going to post this earlier in a reply to BB I think but just left it but I think this post is worth the reply now.

I see both the OF as the same knuckle dragging bigots on opposite sides and their attitudes and opinions and beliefs are laughable.

On one side we have Rangers a Scottish football team from Glasgow who's set of fans sing about Northern Ireland and wave Ulster flags and UJ's and hate all things Irish and want to play in England because they deem Scottish football beneath them.

In the other side we have Celtic a Scottish football club from Glasgow who's fans sing about being Irish and wave Irish Tri-colours and hate all things British but want to play in England because they deem Scottish football beneath them.

A more confused, cave dwelling bunch of inbred knuckle draggers you wont find on this planet.

Is it any wonder other countries look on us with so much disdain when they see how that lot behave and think

Yip, I agree.

Thats because you consider yourself Scottish not British

I do, yes, but what does that have to do with Scottish Rangers fans pretending to support England?

William H. Bonney

Rangers do not bother me at all. Cannot understand why people would hate anyone over Celtic to be honest. Total scum.

Honestly, I find it hard to differentiate between the two. People say there are decent old firm fans but if you scratch beneath the surface, the bigotry comes pouring out.

Plenty of them in East Lothian.

During June and July parts of the Pans are like the Shankill Road with all the loyalist regalia hanging from buildings.

I know fine. I grew up with it. Now you know why I detest them!

Archived