Gorgie stand today

HamishMcGonagall

I endured some rank rotten fan atmospheres at Tynecastle during the 70s and 80s, and those were the days before PC types like myself even expected to enjoy a prawn sandwich at the game.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Ann. Not Anne.

And yes I'm saying she's a big factor. Quickest owner I've seen in football to go after her own fans. For very little.

Just look at the stories on here. Don't you think this direction comes from above?

The tone she is setting leads to a nervousness amongst fans in their behaviour coupled with over zealous stewarding and media releases from the club. Who wants to be the next Magennis guy?

When I think of our club being saved from oblivion. I think of our own fans. Not Ann. We're not her plaything. She needs to calm right the F down.

And to the guy who called me a troll. Really? Being a fan doesn't mean being blindly obedient and happy.

If I am wrong I apologise in advance but did I not read on here that you no longer go to Hearts games and haven't for a long time?

It seems very strange to be going on about atmosphere etc if you don't go to matches.

2 of the teams you've mentions (StJ and Well) have half a dozen silly wee laddies making twats of themselves

2 of them (bigot twins) rely on sectarian chants from a bunch of knuckle dragging thugs

the sheep sit in virtual silence apart from the odd "hilarious" stunt such as their minutes applause.

the hobos, well they barely have enough fans at most of their games to create any sort of atmosphere.

If that is "moving with the times" then I'd rather we stayed where we are thanks

Get the blinkers off. The first statement is just absolute nonsense in terms of figures and fan engagement. If you got off your high horse you'd see these groups of "silly wee laddies" have galvanised the atmosphere at these clubs. I'm embarrassed with your comment on that in all honesty, so backward it's not true.

Celtic comfortably or sing us every game, Rangers not quite to the same extent but similar. I don't get upset with songs frankly, might not be to my taste but as we're sitting in absolute silence with flasks and scones we don't have any choice but to listen to that pish. If folk grouped together you can drown them out at Tynecastle but there's no organisation or passion, seemingly, to do so. It's galling listening to matches that are all square and the away fans are all you can hear, particularly the Old Firm.

Aberdeen used to be better but still better than us away from home to be honest.

Hibs are more vocal at home than us, you can tell just by catching glimpses of them at Easter Road over the last few years. That's shite, why do we accept that?

I'm sure you would, but let me put it to you this way:

If you were a kid going to different games and were undecided on your loyalty yet, would you go and see a match where it was a sedated atmosphere, with boring people glowering at folk who dare to even sneeze, or would you rather go to a game where a large group of young lads to folk in their mid-to-20s are having a laugh and creating some noise and colour? Honestly answer me that. We are at risk of alienating some of our own supporters and that's not good enough for me.

Get the blinkers off. The first statement is just absolute nonsense in terms of figures and fan engagement. If you got off your high horse you'd see these groups of "silly wee laddies" have galvanised the atmosphere at these clubs. I'm embarrassed with your comment on that in all honesty, so backward it's not true.

Celtic comfortably or sing us every game, Rangers not quite to the same extent but similar. I don't get upset with songs frankly, might not be to my taste but as we're sitting in absolute silence with flasks and scones we don't have any choice but to listen to that pish. If folk grouped together you can drown them out at Tynecastle but there's no organisation or passion, seemingly, to do so. It's galling listening to matches that are all square and the away fans are all you can hear, particularly the Old Firm.

Aberdeen used to be better but still better than us away from home to be honest.

Hibs are more vocal at home than us, you can tell just by catching glimpses of them at Easter Road over the last few years. That's shite, why do we accept that?

If you were a kid going to different games and were undecided on your loyalty yet, would you go and see a match where it was a sedated atmosphere, with boring people glowering at folk who dare to even sneeze, or would you rather go to a game where a large group of young lads to folk in their mid-to-20s are having a laugh and creating some noise and colour? Honestly answer me that. We are at risk of alienating some of our own supporters and that's not good enough for me.

Any evidence of sneeze glowering? This is all getting a bit riduculous now.

Any evidence of sneeze glowering? This is all getting a bit riduculous now.

Hyperbole for effect. Although God help someone if I come down with the flu due to their sneeze.

If I am wrong I apologise in advance but did I not read on here that you no longer go to Hearts games and haven't for a long time?

It seems very strange to be going on about atmosphere etc if you don't go to matches.

Not only that but he doesn't contribute to FOH.

So he doesn't go to the matches,doesn't contribute financially, slams the club and the people who run it especially the woman who put the cash up to get us out the hole. What's he doing on a Hearts fans forum ?

Hyperbole for effect. Although God help someone if I come down with the flu due to their sneeze.

I still think you are overegging any constraints that exist in the stadium.

It's about time we tried having a drum it's the ideal stadium to amplify the sound look

At the difference it made at Easter road and fir park

I still think you are overegging any constraints that exist in the stadium.

It's not always overt. But the statements, particularly after the Dundee United and last Celtic games left me feeling deeply embarrassed and let down, like our club wouldn't defend our fans even if they needed to be defended.

It's the precedent created last year, as opposed to any conventional list of rules, that is the problem. Many were banned when 2 or 3 would have sufficed.

It's not always overt. But the statements, particularly after the Dundee United and last Celtic games left me feeling deeply embarrassed and let down, like our club wouldn't defend our fans even if they needed to be defended.

It's the precedent created last year, as opposed to any conventional list of rules, that is the problem. Many were banned when 2 or 3 would have sufficed.

It's not always real either.

Doctor FinnBarr

It's about time we tried having a drum it's the ideal stadium to amplify the sound look

Jesus wept!

The statements and decisions over the last 18 months are ver real though.

They are but people haven't stopped swearing, shouting abuse at players, coaches or officials where I am sitting. Heck, they can even sing if they want to.

...a bit disco

How long have you been a Hearts fan?

You're right. I go very infrequently now. Things like the atmosphere being part of the reason I stopped. Just stopped being enjoyable. A very sanitised boring affair all round.

I've heard some pish in my time...

There's no atmosphere because the fans are "nervous" due to a couple of statements from the club asking fans not to behave like arseholes ?????

You really need to read over what you've written sometimes before you post it.

And FYI I'm not "blindly obedient and happy"

Clap. Clap.

You're right. I go very infrequently now. Things like the atmosphere being part of the reason I stopped. Just stopped being enjoyable. A very sanitised boring affair all round.

Some Hearts supporter.

"galvanised the atmosphere" ??

Half a dozen wee laddies clapping in time to a drum andwaving flags while not watching the game is not atmosphere it's just fecking annoying.

Away fans from all clubs (our's included) tend to be more vocal than the home support, always been this way, nothing new in that.

The only time I'm aware of the home support at fester road is in a derby match, so they are bound to be quite vocal (although usually they go quiet pretty quickly)  :tiny: 

The sheep, see my comment above re aways supports

If I was a kid (or anyone else) looking for a team to support, I think I'd rather see a team that was winning football matches than one that is shite but have got lots of "catchy" songs and a good drummer.

Maybe I'm out of step but I couldn't care less if it's like a library as long as the team wins, which to me is more important than out-singing a group of 12 year olds.

Hey guys, this takes me back. Pie man, singing section, poor crowd. Yet still rehashed for 21st century. Pedants going overboard about Anne or Ann speaks volumes.

If you want to protest, stay in your seat until asked to leave by the jobsworth. Soak up the Tynecastle experience.

Hear them squeal then when they have to hang back later. Reminiscent of a glorious day at fester road.....

Subtly not your strong point

My first match was new year 1973 bleak times to be a hearts supporter then but more good times than bad

You're not very good at this trolling thing.

buckhind jambo

Atmosphere at Tynecastle is Dung! even my 10yr old son comments, we sit in the Gorgie, defo not the auld shed thats for sure

Atmosphere at Tynecastle is Dung! even my 10yr old son comments, we sit in the Gorgie, defo not the auld shed thats for sure

It was the echo of the 4000 fans in the shed you heard.

Yes bring back the good old days.  :sarcasm:

Harking back to the 'good old days' of the shed is pointless nevermind the fact that those days often had a poor atmosphere.

What the Shed had though was a focal point where fans of a like mind could gather knowing there was a chance of creating an atmosphere and lets be honest not getting embarrassed if they tried to start a song given everyone was standing .

We should encourage that at Tynecastle and set aside an area for the fans...those who purchased in that area would know what to expect.

The so called glory days are gone and it's time to embrace the current and future 'ways and means' of showing support.

Hearts fans have always seemed to rebel against any kind of organised singing group or area since the new stands were built for some reason and even stood out for not really embracing the casual era of the 80's unlike most other 'larger' clubs. I'm not saying that was wrong but it is an example of our fans way of thinking.

Even in very recent times it appeared that many were opposed to those who tried to generate an atmosphere....are too many of us just 'old codgers' who don't want a noise at the stadium ?

I want an area and fans to fill that area where people know in advance just what they are getting in to.....there are plenty of young fans following us and surely some can get this started............the responsibility of course will lie with fans in that area to keep some sort of self policing but if what we have is not working (unless it's a big match) then let's try the alternative...........you don't have to join in but those in areas of the ground where this has been set up at Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell etc seem to be happy with it............I just think it's some of our own 'stick in the mud' fans who need to show a bit of tolerance and remember when they were young.

nah

Dagger Is Back

Harking back to the 'good old days' of the shed is pointless nevermind the fact that those days often had a poor atmosphere.

What the Shed had though was a focal point where fans of a like mind could gather knowing there was a chance of creating an atmosphere and lets be honest not getting embarrassed if they tried to start a song given everyone was standing .

We should encourage that at Tynecastle and set aside an area for the fans...those who purchased in that area would know what to expect.

The so called glory days are gone and it's time to embrace the current and future 'ways and means' of showing support.

Hearts fans have always seemed to rebel against any kind of organised singing group or area since the new stands were built for some reason and even stood out for not really embracing the casual era of the 80's unlike most other 'larger' clubs. I'm not saying that was wrong but it is an example of our fans way of thinking.

Even in very recent times it appeared that many were opposed to those who tried to generate an atmosphere....are too many of us just 'old codgers' who don't want a noise at the stadium ?

I want an area and fans to fill that area where people know in advance just what they are getting in to.....there are plenty of young fans following us and surely some can get this started............the responsibility of course will lie with fans in that area to keep some sort of self policing but if what we have is not working (unless it's a big match) then let's try the alternative...........you don't have to join in but those in areas of the ground where this has been set up at Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell etc seem to be happy with it............I just think it's some of our own 'stick in the mud' fans who need to show a bit of tolerance and remember when they were young.

Sheer bloody poetry. Take a bow

Best post on this forum in months, well played son.

We_are_the_Hearts

Excellent post

Harking back to the 'good old days' of the shed is pointless nevermind the fact that those days often had a poor atmosphere.Brilliant post.Used to stand in front of the refreshments kiosk in the shed and then the corner when everyone still wanted to stand rather sit on those benches they put in,fantastic atmosphere!!

Grandma Budge will soon have her way. Lots of face painting going on, Happy Hearty or whatever that thing's called, roaming around, applause for opposition teams, no swearing. In fact. No large male only groups in the stadium at all. Banning orders for unruly behaviour, as defined by the club. No standing. etc.

Meanwhile. Celtic combat the Green Brigade by giving then their own standing section, unstewarded.

I've posted for sometime about Grandma, her treatment of Hearts fans and love of statements about our behaviour. This was hardly Millwall to begin with. But we've always had a great Tynie atmosphere. And we had euphoria and togetherness coming up. Now we're a sanitised, quiet bunch with infighting online.

I went to football to be entertained on the park. Not happening. And to let loose a bit, within reason. Not to have my face painted and buy a Hearts hot dog.

Budge has done her bit. Time to retire her to the Morningside tea and scone cafes and read The Guardian in peace.

There's a right-wing element of our support who now like to blame Ann for all the ills in their world.

The fact is, she's got nothing to do with the atmosphere (or lack of it).  I can sing and shout whenever I feel like it. Ann has never stopped me.

When the team is playing well, or at least getting stuck in, the atmosphere is fine. When we're struggling at home against Ross County, it's dire.

Thus, it's up to the team to get the fans going. It would nice if it was the other way round, but that's the reality.

Leicester fans have the 'clap' - Jambos don't!!

But you can't beat a 'twirly'!

You're right there. An initiative by the club and the fans to revive this would be a great idea. Lots of fans don't seem to be bringing their scarves to games anymore.

Perhaps promoting a game with this in mind might help it catch on again? Looks impressive when there's enough participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a right-wing element of our support who now like to blame Ann for all the ills in their world.

The fact is, she's got nothing to do with the atmosphere (or lack of it).  I can sing and shout whenever I feel like it. Ann has never stopped me.

When the team is playing well, or at least getting stuck in, the atmosphere is fine. When we're struggling at home against Ross County, it's dire.

Thus, it's up to the team to get the fans going. It would nice if it was the other way round, but that's the reality.

Spot on

he's a hibs fan

Francis Albert

I remember the good old days pre-Budge.

Going to the pub before a game against a shitty wee team. Having a few beers. Right up for the game.

"Let's make some noise..!!!!"

A loud roar at 2:59pm.

Then **** all for the next couple of hours.

Anyone that thinks we have ever really created much of an atmosphere for run of the mill league games in the last 20 years other than against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers are having a ******* laugh.

Sanitisation of Tynecastle my arse.

You can go back at least a further 30 years and say the same for most run of the mill matches most of the time.

In fact, though slightly before even my time I suspect you can go back even further, because the phenomenon of (attempted) mass singing only really developed in the last 50 or so years. Even for the big games when I started going in the early 60s I don't remember much singing. The atmosphere as I remember it consisted of roars of appreciation when something good happened or roars of disapproval when something bad happened, with long intervals of not much more than individual shiouts and a buzz of conversations.. I was never in the main stand on those days but the biggest noise of encouragement I remember hearing was roars and mass foot stamping from that stand (reserved for special occasions!).

Somehow the team managed to perform pretty well in the 50s, despite lack of "atmosphere" and some surprisingly low crowds.

You can go back at least a further 30 years and say the same for most run of the mill matches most of the time.

In fact, though slightly before even my time I suspect you can go back even further, because the phenomenon of (attempted) mass singing only really developed in the last 50 or so years. Even for the big games when I started going in the early 60s I don't remember much singing. The atmosphere as I remember it consisted of roars of appreciation when something good happened or roars of disapproval when something bad happened, with long intervals of not much more than individual shiouts and a buzz of conversations.. I was never in the main stand on those days but the biggest noise of encouragement I remember hearing was roars and mass foot stamping from that stand (reserved for special occasions!).

Somehow the team managed to perform pretty well in the 50s, despite lack of "atmosphere" and some surprisingly low crowds.

Pretty good summary of those times imo.

The first time I remember singing at matches would have been around 1961/2 just after our last title win. Crowds at all clubs were on the wane at that time.

Most clubs started to have their choir consisting of the younger and more vocal supporters. As crowds were quite sparse some games we used to change ends and crowd together behind the goal. Used to be great fun giving the opposing goalie abuse or good natured banter depending on the goalie in question. The only real part that the shed played in the atmosphere was when rival fans clashed in the middle when changing ends.

Sometimes the bigger matches weren't as much fun because if the crowd was too big

You couldn't get round to the other end.

Fun times sorry for being an old bore but

FA's post brought it all back to me.

Archived