Good policing tactics

Tazio

I was at a wedding in Glasgow tonight and due to saving money decided not to get a hotel and drive home.

I left Glasgow depressingly sober at around half twelve and got an overwhelming urge to get home to some cheese on toast and a glass of wine (I'm all class). So I was making good time due to the road being fairly quiet for the M8 and good driving conditions. I was sitting quite happily at around 90 most of the way but unusually seemed to be the only person in a hurry.

After passing Harthill where I slowed down to 70 due to the slip road there that always seems a bit awkward for some reason I picked up speed again and for the first time spotted someone a bit behind doing the same speed or a bit faster. After about 5 miles the car went to overtake, at which point I realised it was police car....

Obviously I expected the worst but instead he sat alongside me, slowed down to about 75 as I followed suit. At which point he pulled in front of me and carried on with me at the same speed, we did this for about 3 miles when he accelerated away leaving me happily driving at that speed the rest of the way.

To me that is good policing, he could easily have pulled me over and given me a ticket. Instead he made me aware that he had clocked me, assessed my driving and the fact that my car can easily be driven at that speed well inside the range of it's performance. Then pulled me back to a speed he was happier with and left me to it.

Nice to see a sensible police driver who would rather let someone on an empty motorway drive slightly over the limit than issue a ticket.

I was at a wedding in Glasgow tonight and due to saving money decided not to get a hotel and drive home.

I left Glasgow depressingly sober at around half twelve and got an overwhelming urge to get home to some cheese on toast and a glass of wine (I'm all class). So I was making good time due to the road being fairly quiet for the M8 and good driving conditions. I was sitting quite happily at around 90 most of the way but unusually seemed to be the only person in a hurry.

After passing Harthill where I slowed down to 70 due to the slip road there that always seems a bit awkward for some reason I picked up speed again and for the first time spotted someone a bit behind doing the same speed or a bit faster. After about 5 miles the car went to overtake, at which point I realised it was police car....

Obviously I expected the worst but instead he sat alongside me, slowed down to about 75 as I followed suit. At which point he pulled in front of me and carried on with me at the same speed, we did this for about 3 miles when he accelerated away leaving me happily driving at that speed the rest of the way.

To me that is good policing, he could easily have pulled me over and given me a ticket. Instead he made me aware that he had clocked me, assessed my driving and the fact that my car can easily be driven at that speed well inside the range of it's performance. Then pulled me back to a speed he was happier with and left me to it.

Nice to see a sensible police driver who would rather let someone on an empty motorway drive slightly over the limit than issue a ticket.

I agree , there are some drivers that should not be allowed behind the wheel of a motor that have licences and are a blatant danger to other road users at speeds of less than 30 mph. I'ts about sensible driving and not being a danger to other drivers.

He probably sat in front of you for 3 miles to check your details an the police national computer, your details obviously came back "A" ok.

He also may have had more pressing issues to deal with also, but yes all in all, he made you aware that you were driving to fast, and slowed you down to a more sensible speed.

Sensible policing. Maybe?

Or alternatively, plod maybe took pity that you had spent a Saturday night in Weejieville and didn't have the heart to ruin your night further by issuing a ticket.

Sensible policing. Maybe?

Or alternatively, plod maybe took pity that you had spent a Saturday night in Weejieville and didn't have the heart to ruin your night further by issuing a ticket.

I've always imagined that the average speed eastbound must be faster than westbound. Maybe the police are aware of this as fact?

willie wallace

I was driving to work past the airport at 5am in the pitch dark when flashing blue lights behind me gave me a hell of a fright until i realised it was a friendly warning to slow down.Obviously if it had have been in the middle of the day there could have been a different outcome but i thought it was good that they recognised the circumstances.

The Old Tolbooth

Just check your mailbox for the next 3 weeks for a letter from the old bll Tazio ;)

Toxteth O'Grady

The lazy plod probably just couldn't be bothered to get oot his car and issue a ticket.

Archived