***Official Stirling Albion v Hearts U20 Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice on knee now I think. Precautionary I'd guess.

Thanks mate. Fingers crossed for him.

Brilliant win.  What an effort to come from 2-0 down, against any opponent!

Gutted I never cashed out my bet on Stirling at half-time :whistling:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Spirit in abundance good habit. Hopefully a kind draw then Hibs

Great result and a great boost to the youngsters.

2-0 down away from home in a competitive game v a league team and coming back to win will be a great boost to them.

Well done.

Hungry hippo

Well done to young ones.

Think tonight's results have shown it to be a great decision to invite the 20s teams in at this stage. I think we'd really struggle against a Championship side but great competitive experience for the boys.

jamboinglasgow

A great result for them. They will be annoyed to lose 2 goals in the first half. But to turn it round is great. This will be the first time nearly all will have played senior players in a competitive game, very different environment from friendlies, so the two goals conceeded could be have come from that first taste. But the mentality to turn it round is very promising. 

A great start to the season and getting another game in the next rounds means more experience. 

Well done lads.

LarrysRightFoot

Broken record alert.

Under 20s/Colt teams should be allowed into the Highland and Lowand Leagues.

Hopefully this is the first step towards it.

sairyinthat

St Johnstone scored a goal against Turriff United, meltdown as the usual suspects warn us to expect a doing after their great result a narrow defeat against the Mighty Turriff.

St Johnstone scored a goal against Turriff United, meltdown as the usual suspects warn us to expect a doing after their great result a narrow defeat against the Mighty Turriff.

U20's ya diddy.

Jambof3tornado

I really think that group of lads have a real steel about them. Thought Paton was superb, Inving too.

Rusty took his goal well as did morrison who was easily my motm.

Reid got caught a couple of times as did Baur (although once was a slip),but Daly spoke really well to them throughout if they'd made mistakes.

Mason I'm still not sure about. I've seen more consistent young keepers in lower leagues but having said that he made few good saves and decided early when he was coming for a ball.

A favourable next round draw would be nice but on tonights showing we will win more games than we lose development league wise.

Good to see ulster Andy quietly taking in all that was going on.

Didnt notice Robbie but did see Mr Levein.

Jambof3tornado

Lol.

sairyinthat

U20's ya diddy.

What a disappointment for yuh eh,never mind you'll think of something no doubt.

THERE will be seven rounds with the competition launching in August and the final scheduled to be held next March and the format is as follows:

First Round: Tuesday/Wednesday, August 2/3

Featuring eight clubs from League Two, all 12 top-flight under-20s teams and four sides each from both the Lowland League and Highland League.

Second round: Tuesday/Wednesday, August 16/17

The 14 first-round winners are joined by the remaining two League Two teams and eight clubs from League One.

Third round: Saturday/Sunday, September 3/4

The 12 second-round winners are joined by the remaining two League One teams and all 10 Championship sides.

Fourth round: Saturday/Sunday, October 8/9

The 12 third-round winners are joined by two teams from the Northern Irish Premiership and two clubs from the Welsh Premier League.

Quarter-finals: Saturday/Sunday, November 12/13

Semi-finals: Saturday/Sunday, February 18/19

Final: Saturday, March 25 or Sunday, March 26

Dundee, St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness and Kilmarnock all lost tonight so a win against a lower league side doesn't appear too bad

When is the draw? Do under 20 teams play at the clubs home ground or wherever they play league games if drawn at home?

Footballfirst

I really think that group of lads have a real steel about them. Thought Paton was superb, Inving too.

Rusty took his goal well as did morrison who was easily my motm.

Reid got caught a couple of times as did Baur (although once was a slip),but Daly spoke really well to them throughout if they'd made mistakes.

Mason I'm still not sure about. I've seen more consistent young keepers in lower leagues but having said that he made few good saves and decided early when he was coming for a ball.

A favourable next round draw would be nice but on tonights showing we will win more games than we lose development league wise.

Good to see ulster Andy quietly taking in all that was going on.

Didnt notice Robbie but did see Mr Levein.

I'd largely agree with the above.  Zanatta, Jones and Baur all improved in the second half, but it was Paton who kept us ticking over while Morrison was the biggest threat to their defence.

All three goals were well taken, with McLean's curler into the postage stamp corner from 20 yards a peach of a goal.

Jambof3tornado

When is the draw? Do under 20 teams play at the clubs home ground or wherever they play league games if drawn at home?

Draw is Thursday.

Apparently you can play at neutral venues or anywhere you like.

LarrysRightFoot

Draw is Thursday.

Apparently you can play at neutral venues or anywhere you like.

Yep some journo in the Daily Record was saying the new format is a joke and that was one of the reasons he sighted - amongst almost every single part of it.

It's not perfect but it has generated interest and got people talking about it.

This is only the beginning for the new format and we can test what works and what doesn't and change it going forward.

I really don't understand some peoples negativity towards it.

Hungry hippo

Yep some journo in the Daily Record was saying the new format is a joke and that was one of the reasons he sighted - amongst almost every single part of it.

This is only the beginning for the new format and we can test what works and what doesn't and change it going forward.

I agree. It was a nothing tournament to start with so things like this are worth a go and the fact half the 20s teams won tonight shows they were pitched in at the correct level.

LarrysRightFoot

I think it's a great new format.

Going by round 1 and the interest it has generated I agree.

This and the new League Cup format have both been a fresh air I think and SPFL deserve credit where it's due.

Now if they could just expand the top flight...

tartofmidlothian

:spoton:

I'm already in love with this new format.

My wifes family are clyde daft and absolutely hate Partick thistle.

Clyde 0-5 Partick Thistle U20s

The have gone thermal. I'm Pissing myself laughing.

Just to add, Zanetti had a really good run towards the end, did everything right in going past a couple of players and then round the keeper only to see his shot cleared off the line. Like the look (sound) of Jon daly, always talking to his players and explaining what he wanted from them.

All round, an enjoyable game and my 4 yr old enjoyed spotting craig, robbie and stevie sitting just along from us.

Jambof3tornado

My problem with the competition is allowing irish and welsh sides in at the latter stages.

No need at all.

Hungry hippo

I'm already in love with this new format.

My wifes family are clyde daft and absolutely hate Partick thistle.

Clyde 0-5 Partick Thistle U20s

The have gone thermal. I'm Pissing myself laughing.

That's a shocker of a result for Clyde. It's not that long ago that the two (first eleven) teams were operating at a similar level.

Footballfirst

The U20s don't have a game scheduled before the next round, so are likely to organise a bounce game before then.  I understand that we have plans to take a number of youngsters on trial next week so that would be a chance to assess them.

The Treasurer

I think most, if not all, the negativity is caused by the strange decision to bring N-Irish and Welsh teams in at the latter stages of the competition.

This could have been a really good tournament if it had just included the U20 sides but I suspect the decision to invite "foreign" clubs is to assist the bigot twins in their "dream" to feck off to the English league.

scott herbertson

The U20s don't have a game scheduled before the next round, so are likely to organise a bounce game before then.  I understand that we have plans to take a number of youngsters on trial next week so that would be a chance to assess them.

Are these from local scouting FF? Or the european network we seem to be building?

Footballfirst

Are these from local scouting FF? Or the european network we seem to be building?

From wider afield afaik.

From wider afield afaik.

Does tend to make you question the value of the academy, but maybe it is the way to go.

Does tend to make you question the value of the academy, but maybe it is the way to go.

The value in the academy will be from bringing on kids from as young as 11-14 and developing them into first team players of the future.

Right now we need to bulk up the development squad because there's a gaping hole been left from a few years ago when everyone wad fast tracked.

Archived