Hearts should announce season objectives

Kim490

That table indicates we've played 235 more games than Aberdeen? We've definitely had higher league finishes since the SPL was started in 1998 and they've had a nightmare in the past 20 years. Also is the table taking into account we've been around 30 years longer?

Use your own memory man. I'm not sure of what age you are, but at 37 I can remember very few seasons where they have finished above us since the early nineties up to Romanov. Just off the top of my Head we finished back to back third with Levein, Csaba finished above them, Jefferies must have done so every season I think. Can't find a better stats site, but I'm sure someone can post a link to the league tables from the nineties up to 2004. Aberdeen were brilliant in the eighties but we have had the upper hand every decade overall since.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we finish 4th next year after finishing 3rd this year, I think it would be a struggle for anyone at the club to claim "progress" has been made. Maybe if we lift a cup too?

If we're ahead of plan - I believe we are - we should reset / realign objectives like any other business.

Imagine we had a 5 year plan to win the SPL and did it in year 1. Do you think the management team would just be able to twiddle their thumbs for the next 4 years?

I think a cup win would definitely be progress. It does highlight the fickleness of fans but I imagine most would take a scottish cup + 5th place over 3rd place and out at the 1st round.

Fair enough, I am erring on the side of caution a bit but do think we can realistically challenge in the next few years. Still though, absolutely dead against the club coming out with any list of targets - IIRC we didn't do this in the championship until after christmas when miles ahead. Similar circumstances to now as we are probably an outside bet to finish top 3, certainly top 2. (Not that we can't!)

Can't help but notice that the happy clappy brigade tend to be the ones who dislike public objectives as they seem intent on holding onto Neilson, no matter how bad we perform.

I personally think they are a great idea and would let everyone know what is acceptable from our club. It would allow both the happy clappers and the Neilson must go divides, to all know where the club stands.

Can't help but notice that the happy clappy brigade tend to be the ones who dislike public objectives as they seem intent on holding onto Neilson, no matter how bad we perform.

I personally think they are a great idea and would let everyone know what is acceptable from our club. It would allow both the happy clappers and the Neilson must go divides, to all know where the club stands.

I'd say if he keeps finishing in the top 3 he'll be fine.

Also "happy clappy" is some of the worst patter to ever darken these boards - and that is from the place that brought us "tippy tappy" (remember, a season ago when we played short passes and everyone wanted it launched direct to the big guy?).

colinmaroon

First para, skubala!

Second para, in the top league, only the arrogant Two Cheeks expect "objectives" other than the blatantly obvious, to improve.

And, it is possible for a team to improve and play better football and finish, say, a position lower in the table, be knocked out the cups, for a whole host of reasons.  For example injuries and suspensions, luck of the draw, Gollum etc.

Football forecasting is not an exact science, and it is not a case of number of items sold, services charged for etc.  It is not a "normal" business and, only the pedantic and those seeking a rod for our own backs (or Robbie Neilson's) would insist in this thoroughly impractical idea.

First para, skubala!

Second para, in the top league, only the arrogant Two Cheeks expect "objectives" other than the blatantly obvious, to improve.

And, it is possible for a team to improve and play better football and finish, say, a position lower in the table, be knocked out the cups, for a whole host of reasons.  For example injuries and suspensions, luck of the draw, Gollum etc.

Football forecasting is not an exact science, and it is not a case of number of items sold, services charged for etc.  It is not a "normal" business and, only the pedantic and those seeking a rod for our own backs (or Robbie Neilson's) would insist in this thoroughly impractical idea.

So then why were we given the objectives for the last two season??

And why is this season so taboo for setting objectives?

rudi must stay

Just to make Neilson even more uncomfortable in his job. Terrible idea and not one a club with our budget should ever do. FWIW I think we will suprise people, "a season of struggle" has come from one match

Bazzas right boot

Like at any level of football you will try to win every game, take each game one at a time.

We will have budgeted on certain criteria, my guess would be 3rd or 4th place.

However from a football point of view we should be aiming to win as many games and see where it takes us, whether that be 4th or 1st, time will tell.

Archived