BILL HICKS

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Wife out with friends, kids in bed , babby sitting, a few beers in the fridge , feck all on tv, so gonna watch some bill hicks and laugh:rofl: my way all to my bed, :sleepy:god bless him total legend and so right in his observations of every day life from politics, religion , drugs and government corruptions.R.I.P BILL YOU LIVE ON.:evil::toasting:

It's scary how you listen to his stuff now and it's like it was recorded yesterday.

Remember how it started, they kept talking about the 'Elite Republican Guard' in these hushed tones, like these guys are the boogey man or something?

Yeah, we're doing well now but we have yet to face the Elite Republican Guard . . . Like these guys were twelve feet tall desert warriors.

Never lost a battle! We **** bullets!

Yeah, well, after two months of continuous carpet bombing and not one reaction at all from them, they became simply "the Republican Guard". Not nearly as elite as we may have led you to believe. And after another month of bombing they went from the Elite Republican Guard to the Republican Guard to the Republicans made this **** up about there being guards out there.

blondejamtart

Comedy genius is a very over-used phrase these days, but if ever there was someone who deserved that tag, it was Bill Hicks.

Denny Crane

For his rant on George Michael back in the 80s read for Justin Timberlake today. Hicks' routine is equally applicable to him.

Rick Grimes
TRUE, he was very aware what was going on.

it helps that we didn't learn any lessons from 90/91.

still a ruddy genius tho.

maroonlegions
Comedy genius is a very over-used phrase these days, but if ever there was someone who deserved that tag, it was Bill Hicks.

very true, just watched this and have managed to type this after laughing so much, must get his book that was released some years ago about his life.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6_b-72H3E

Is there anyone out there who comes close to surpassing Bill? I still listen to him at every opportunity (until someone better comes along, of course).

He would appreciate that - shows I'm in the process of evolution, that's why I'm so effed up.:cool:

Denny Crane
I'm in the minority preferring Denis Leary then?

The same Dennie Leary who plaguarised Hicks and has done very little since the latter's death as there's no more material to steal. Leary's "No cure for cancer" album was a blatant rip-off from Hicks' "Dangerous" and "Relentless" efforst which were released before Leary's product. Hicks was reported to have been furious at the time.

Ivanauskas33
very true, just watched this and have managed to type this after laughing so much, must get his book that was released some years ago about his life.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6_b-72H3E

I've read both books about his life, didn't think either really did him justice. A better buy would be Bill Hicks: Love all the people, its got alot of his shows and stuff in written form, aswell as interviews and stuff.

On the Denis Leary thing. even though its quite clear that he stole some material from Bill Hicks, I still think he's really funny and a good performer aswell

jambostuart
The same Dennie Leary who plaguarised Hicks and has done very little since the latter's death as there's no more material to steal. Leary's "No cure for cancer" album was a blatant rip-off from Hicks' "Dangerous" and "Relentless" efforst which were released before Leary's product. Hicks was reported to have been furious at the time.

He did rip off Hick's material but I think he delivered it better. And Leary did have some of his own stuff too.

On your point about him doing very little. He currently writes and stars in the Emmy winning show "Rescue Me". One of my favourite ever shows. Hilarious and brutal.

Pants Shaton

You probably think ELO were better than The Beatles.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Take yourself from from this place!

Dennis Leary, Mr 5 Movie Deal from Disney, was everything that Bill Hicks stood against.

The number one rule of comedy is you don't steal someone else's material. It's just not done. Unless your Joe Pasquale.

Buy and read American Scream and then come back and join this discussion.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Scream-Bill-Hicks-Story/dp/B000H2M8L0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212919779&sr=1-3

cosanostra

He was a funny guy.

Up there with Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior in terms of quality stand up.

Ivanauskas33
He was a funny guy.

Up there with Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior in terms of quality stand up.

Don't forget to add Lenny Bruce to that list.

Don't forget to add Lenny Bruce to that list.

Was Lenny Bruce funny?

Pretty hard to tell as virtually no archive material exists. He was important no doubt as he opened doors and took the hits for the next generation. He is a bit of a sacred cow in terms of comedy but I genuinely don't know whether he was funny as I have heard so little.

Ivanauskas33
Was Lenny Bruce funny?

Pretty hard to tell as virtually no archive material exists. He was important no doubt as he opened doors and took the hits for the next generation. He is a bit of a sacred cow in terms of comedy but I genuinely don't know whether he was funny as I have heard so little.

From the bits I've heard of his stuff he's really funny. He seems like he was really far ahead of his time (he did a bit about glue sniffing and I'm not sure if glue sniffing was even invented at the time :P). He wasn't as funny late on and his shows were just him going through police reports of his various arrests. Theres a good documentary that shows alot of his stuff if your interested in hearing more: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1027948/Ladies-And-Gentlemen-Lenny-Bruce-Without-Tears/Product.html

The film about his life called Lenny is also really good. Its all in black and white aswell, which i thought was a nice touch.

The film about his life called Lenny is also really good. Its all in black and white aswell, which i thought was a nice touch.

I saw the film years ago, Dustin Hoffman is fantastic in it. I know there are a few albums that he recorded but they were before he became notorious.

Ivanauskas33
I know there are a few albums that he recorded but they were before he became notorious.

Aye good point. The dvd on the link that I posted has one of his later performances, His second last I think. And the documentary on it has some of his more controversial bits. I actually prefer the bits on the documentary to the performance film.

Archived